Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Now I've got the 12-35, 35-100 and 100-300, I feel I have all my needs taken care of.

Interested to see folks getting the new Oly 75-300 II, I find the 100-300 really sharp, comparable to my old Canon 100-400 L lens.

I too have the 12-35 35-100 and now the 75-300 MkII instead of the 100-300.
But I like little primes too :D

My experience has been that both the 75-300 and 100-300 are excellent optics for the price.
Both IMO outperform their price point. I simply fancied something a little bit more compact with the 75-300 plus I do find the zoom action just that little bit nicer than the 100-300.
To be honest though really there is nothing between them.

Why not look out for a second hand HLD-6?
Mines pretty much always on my EM-5 either as the first part or both, very nice bit of kit.

Thank you for the suggestion but I'm a total skinflint and £195 new - or even £175 used - is quite a lot more than £40 for the JB grip.

Last edited:
LOL! I did buy second-hand and sold my 40D and E-P3 to pay for it so it was free really.

Thanks to Lindsay's great photos I'm going to go for a 40-150mm. But while I was out today I noticed the Panasonic 45-150mm.

Does anybody have this lens, or even better both of these lenses. If so, what are your thoughts on it?

Edit: also, of the olympus 40-150mm owners, what colour lens do you think looks best. I've got the silver OM-D. I can't decide which looks best.

Last edited:
Used to swapping primes and zoom lenses on a Canon 5D MkII, and attracted by the lighter weight of M43 gear, I wonder how different is the speed of changing over M43 lenses on say the OMD?

There is in reality a lengthy process: getting out the required lens; parking caps and the lens in a convenient place, decoupling the lens that you have on the camera, covering that lens with end caps and putting it down somewhere; taking end caps off the new lens, putting a hood on it, and adding the lens to the camera; and finally putting away the previously used lens.

Do users out there notice any significant increase or decrease relative to the scenario I am familiar with, which is full-frame EOS lenses on the 5D MkII body? Much quicker, about the same or slower?

Used to swapping primes and zoom lenses on a Canon 5D MkII, and attracted by the lighter weight of M43 gear, I wonder how different is the speed of changing over M43 lenses on say the OMD?

There is in reality a lengthy process: getting out the required lens; parking caps and the lens in a convenient place, decoupling the lens that you have on the camera, covering that lens with end caps and putting it down somewhere; taking end caps off the new lens, putting a hood on it, and adding the lens to the camera; and finally putting away the previously used lens.

Do users out there notice any significant increase or decrease relative to the scenario I am familiar with, which is full-frame EOS lenses on the 5D MkII body? Much quicker, about the same or slower?

Although the process you have described is pretty much identical I do actually find it quicker with the OM-D because the lenses are smaller and easier to handle. It might be that it's sometimes possible to hold two lenses in one hand making the switch easier. Not sure though, but it does seem less hassle.

Although the process you have described is pretty much identical I do actually find it quicker with the OM-D because the lenses are smaller and easier to handle. It might be that it's sometimes possible to hold two lenses in one hand making the switch easier. Not sure though, but it does seem less hassle.

Plus you can take more lenses out with you. Taking a camera+mounted lens plus a couple of other lenses is quite easy with MFT but with a 5D+lens + two more it can be quite a load in bulk and weight.

Another massive plus is that dust bunnies are much less of an issue with MFT. IMVHO cameras should have been this resistant to dust bunnies since day one... but they weren't... and indeed some still aren't.

Picked up a 45/1.8 yesterday, amazing quality in such a tiny package and enough DoF control for my needs...

A couple of family snapshots from 45/1.8 and one from the kit lens this week...

12-50 @ 36mm and f5.6
9030298733_b490357dab_b.jpg

45mm @ f2.8
9032519640_cc911f0cdb_b.jpg

45mm @ f4
9032529286_ed3fa3660a_b.jpg

I am chuffed with this camera and am now saving to flesh the system out a little (y)

A couple of family snapshots from 45/1.8 and one from the kit lens this week...

12-50 @ 36mm and f5.6
9030298733_b490357dab_b.jpg

45mm @ f2.8
9032519640_cc911f0cdb_b.jpg

45mm @ f4
9032529286_ed3fa3660a_b.jpg

I am chuffed with this camera and am now saving to flesh the system out a little (y)

Nice photos. I'd probably crop some of the top off the last one though.

I've just tested my cheapo eBay lighting I bought for my Canon gear ages ago and it works fine with my OM-D. So pleased. He's a couple of my son, Oliver, on the test shots (also taken with the 45mm):

Oliver B&W 3 by Phall82, on Flickr

Oliver B&W 11 by Phall82, on Flickr

Liking the OM-D IQ but not so much the ergonomics. I've pretty much decided to switch to an E-P5 when it comes out. I think I've been shooting with an E-P1 and then E-P3 for so long that the OM-D just doesn't feel right.

Liking the OM-D IQ but not so much the ergonomics. I've pretty much decided to switch to an E-P5 when it comes out. I think I've been shooting with an E-P1 and then E-P3 for so long that the OM-D just doesn't feel right.

That will cost you Paul ;) :D

Never-the-less a nice package I'm sure.
Will you go for the new higher res VF-4?

That's a good point. I may have to wait for a used one to come along.

I'm not sure about the VF-4. If I buy new, the package with the VF-4 and 171.8 looks the best value for money.

The OM-D is definitely growing on me. 350+ photos at a carnival over the weekend helped! Didn't miss focus once and some very acceptable results. Auto WB was bang on and exposure looked to be consistent but maybe 1/3 of stop under throughout.

I always had the EP-3 on a wrist strap but somehow the OM-D called for a neck strap so for the first time in donkey's years I used it with a neck strap (Street Strap, lovely thing, very comfortable) and it certainly made changing lenses quicker and easier.

I'm a tad confused about the raw processing end of things. I switched to Lightroom some time ago because Aperture didn't give great results with the E-P3 but now I find that Aperture is definitely giving a cleaner image than Lightroom. And Olympus Viewer 3 is better than either of them but unworkably slow. I'm now trying raw batch processing in Viewer 3 to tiffs for processing properly in Lightroom. And by processing properly, I mean cropping and straightening because the images don't seem to need any curves, sharpening, noise reduction or any of the other fiddlings I'm used to doing.

Last edited:
Hoping to get my final bit for my OM-D setup tomorrow, I've ordered a Panny 25mm to complete my line-up... for now :)

12-50mm
Panny 25mm f/1.4
45mm f/1.8
75mm f/1.8
40-150mm
Panny 100-300mm

No doubt my cravings will continue but I couldn't justify any more :)

Did you get a good deal Colin? I've got an ad for one in the wanted section but I don't think I'm going to get lucky.

Did you get a good deal Colin? I've got an ad for one in the wanted section but I don't think I'm going to get lucky.

Not the best deal in all honesty but I got to the stage where I 'needed' one :naughty:

Got it for £355 on ebay.

Not the best deal in all honesty but I got to the stage where I 'needed' one :naughty:

Got it for £355 on ebay.

Received my Panny 25mm today and it's an impressive lens. Great combination with the OM-D.

What's most impressed me is the low light capability with the two together. I've just tested it in my dining room with only the light from the lounge so I would class it as dark and with the camera's iso1600 performance, it's image stabilisation and the 25mm set to f/1.4 it looks like it was taken with a good lens in daylight.

Best low light combination I've tried without doubt.

Well after selling my DSLR gear and PX'ing some lenses at the London Camera Exchange yesterday I finally have my OMD & Kit Lens.

After taking some test shots I must say I'm extremely happy and very impressed with how the 12-50mm handles low light, indoors and out, and the Macro mode pretty good as well.

One little moan is that for £1000 you'd think Olympus would include a full printed manual instead of just a few pages on how to insert the battery, memory card, fix the strap and take a photo in iA mode. I should think most people who buy this camera have all that sussed out. I've downloaded the guide to my iPad and thats fine for at home but when you're out and about......

Anyway, after working my way through the menus and settings I'll post some photos so any tip and tricks would be most welcome.

Dave.

Yeah or supply usb cables and not charge the earth for tiny lens hoods! Still love the OMD though!

Yeah or supply usb cables and not charge the earth for tiny lens hoods! Still love the OMD though!

I've started buying little metal lens hoods off ebay. They're only a couple of £ and the only drawback is you have to wait from them to drop though the letter box. I mostly just leave them attached and put a pinch lens cap on the hood.

Have you a link to which hoods your buying please?

I love the camera though, amazed at the quality of the 40-150 as well. Couldnt get anywhere near these deer and was pleasantly surprised at the amount of detail captured considering how far away i was.

Last edited:
I have too agree that Olympus even though they make some nice cameras and lenses they are rather tight, no paper manual with UK OM-D, and no lens hood or pouch with lenses even the expensive ones like the 75mm..
Where as Panasonic provide hoods and pouches with there lenses.

The OM-D does actually have a paper manual included with the import model in full english so why not provide the UK model with the same :thinking:

I had a USB cable with my OMD? As for lens hoods I too buy from eBay. Just ordered one for the 12-50mm for under £10. It's from China but I've had no problems with other hoods I've bought.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/310649250387?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Also found this too.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/350809025836?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Throttle Can't believe that. I take it you bought your OMD via one of the importers? I was thinking about going that route but got cold feet in the end, I take it you didn't have any problems?

Did you not get the USB cable that connects the OM-D too the computer with yours ?

Throttle Can't believe that. I take it you bought your OMD via one of the importers? I was thinking about going that route but got cold feet in the end, I take it you didn't have any problems?

Yes i went and purchased a import model from https://www.onestop-digital.com/index.php
i have dealt with them a few times and always find them fast usually 2-3 days at the most for items too arrive and they price match other online stores :D

Excellent set of holiday captures Jojo (y)

No i bought both my OMD and Full Spectrum E-PM1 used and neither came with a usb cable (both sellers said they didn't get one from new) got one from Amazon for a couple of quid in the end

This looks like a good deal to me. Has there been just the one version of the 12-35? I wouldn’t want to end up with an earlier version.

Really enjoying the OM-D, I'm starting to toy with the idea of making it my main camera and selling the Sony A77.

Only thing that stops me is the wide angle situation, both of the options are very pricey and would leave little spare to expand the system. Any idea if Olympus are going to make a 25/1.8 along the lines if the 45/1.8? That and buying the 60 macro would probably cover all bases

How wide do you need to go Des? Is it a wide zoom you need? Or a prime? I've been very happily surprised by the IQ of the Pana 14-45mm kit zoom. Mind you, 14mm is wide enough for me and I know others need way wider than that.

Last edited:
Hello all

I'm contemplating going for an OMD instead of PL5 as I want a viewfinder.

Do u all recommend them and does anyone know the cheapest place I can get one from ?!

Thanks

Hello all

I'm contemplating going for an OMD instead of PL5 as I want a viewfinder.

Do u all recommend them and does anyone know the cheapest place I can get one from ?!

Thanks

Around 18mm (ff equivalent) would be ideal, looked at the 7-14 but it's too pricey. If I keep the Sony I'll get the tokina 11-16 so something along those lines

Back