Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Got my adapter through today for some old m42 lenses i have. Not bad for a first attempt. Very difficult to use when you're used to just clicking in AF! :LOL:

There is an em5 focus peaking work around. Not sure if it works for other olympus. If you Google focus peaking and you camera it should come up

It will and if you're using manual focus well worth setting it to one of the fn buttons.

BTW very nice images :)

I tried a little panning - 3 degrees, low sun, long lens, slow shutter...excuses excuses...

c63 drift by damianmkv, on Flickr

AMG power by damianmkv, on Flickr

So it can be done ( albeit badly :D )

I really like the second shot, go on share those settings and method, so I can be 100% sure it's me thats #$%@ :)

I really like the second shot, go on share those settings and method, so I can be 100% sure it's me thats #$%@ :)

Just click on the image and it will open up in Flickr where you will find all of the info that you seek :)

lol, I know exif - yes it does say much - f20, 117mm (on the Oly 75-300mm), ISO 200, 1/50 second - full auto (? I may have misread the exif), but unless I'm missing something it doesn't say how many focus points used, if it was handheld, whether he used the touchscreen, SAF or CAF with or without tracking and so on.

All that said EXIF does tell you lots and many thanks for not suppressing it as some people do.

Last edited:
Shutter priority, s-af without tracking, handheld, touchscreen wasn't used just through the evf

I never see the point of hiding the exif, I find it handy to look back and figure out the rights and wrongs of a shot

Last edited:
Cool, thankyou. Interesting that the viewfinder worked so well, for any sort of action (where I actually got a keeper) I've used the poke the touchscreen method.

It's not anywhere near an OVF and I think that's the hard thing to get around. Whilst it's "ok" it's just not good enough IMO, nor is the tracking.

BUT I'll continue to try stuff and see what works

Well I took the plung earlier this evening and bought an OMD EM5 on Amazon. It should arrive Monday. It feels like a step into the unknown from my Nikon D90. However, it really comes down to the size meaning it is more portable amd I will be more likely to carry it. However, I still wonder if it will feel too small. I will probably fit the grip and never take it off.

Well I took the plung earlier this evening and bought an OMD EM5 on Amazon. It should arrive Monday. It feels like a step into the unknown from my Nikon D90. However, it really comes down to the size meaning it is more portable amd I will be more likely to carry it. However, I still wonder if it will feel too small. I will probably fit the grip and never take it off.

I once owned a D90 and went to a D700 and now D610 and I just got an EM10. I reckon, unless you need the continuous focus ability of the DSLRs then you will be more than happy with the EM5 - the IQ is easily on a par with the D90. My only issue with these CSCs is the battery life, which frankly is crap by DSLR standards.

Anyway, I travel a lot and I was looking for a system which I could use instead of my 'big kit''. I have lots of Nikon 1 stuff as 'light weight' and I love it but it isn't a replacement for FF so I always end up taking the D610 too, which kind of defeats the point of going lightweight. I was looking for something that would replace the D610 as a travel kit and I think I may have found it, the new M4/3 is that good. I've been impressed enough by what I've seen so far to be looking to splash a load of cash on some of the good primes and that tells me what I need to know about the system...

I once owned a D90 and went to a D700 and now D610 and I just got an EM10. I reckon, unless you need the continuous focus ability of the DSLRs then you will be more than happy with the EM5 - the IQ is easily on a par with the D90. My only issue with these CSCs is the battery life, which frankly is crap by DSLR standards.

Anyway, I travel a lot and I was looking for a system which I could use instead of my 'big kit''. I have lots of Nikon 1 stuff as 'light weight' and I love it but it isn't a replacement for FF so I always end up taking the D610 too, which kind of defeats the point of going lightweight. I was looking for something that would replace the D610 as a travel kit and I think I may have found it, the new M4/3 is that good. I've been impressed enough by what I've seen so far to be looking to splash a load of cash on some of the good primes and that tells me what I need to know about the system...

Cheers, I hadn't thought about mundane things like battery life. I guess some spare batteries will be on the list in due course. I will be sacrificing a number of lenses for two (for a while at least) but I guess If I wasn't using the D90 that often it doesn't matter ifnI get out with the em5 more often.

Well, near(ish), I'm actially in Warsop but noone would have any idea where that was but aye, not that far

lol, amazingly I haven't - had you been a tractor driver however ....

I have an E-M1 and I am waiting for an E-M5 and 12-40

Can anyone confirm if the 40-150 at currys is the portrait kit with the bag as the pictures do show the bag or is it just the lens. Thanks.

I bought that lens in a kit with the Street Case M and an 8gb SD card. Everything was fine. Except I got the silver lens that showed signs of wear very quickly.
I sold the lens on eBay and bought the 14-150 instead. But I still have that case that can take a camera, 2 zoom lenses and the kit flash. As well as filters and batteries. Yet it's a tiny bag. Our DSLR guys are amazed that my whole kit easily fits in there compared to the giant bags they lug around.

Last edited:
It's hard to tell the difference. I understand the 40-150 is supposed to be sharper. Which might sway my judgment. But I really can't tell. Not having used them side by side. Apart from that, I just change lenses less often.

Last edited:
The EM5 and 14-150 is an amazing travel kit. Took it to Lake Garda on a family holiday - would never have taken a DSLR with a toddler on a boat but MFT kit is so much less bulk and weight.

Will be getting a premium compact for next trip though - there are now TWO troublemakers to keep hold of...

I'm thinking of adding the 12mm f2 to my collection at the expense of the 14-42 as I doubt it will ever REALLY get used. Was considering the 12-40 but I'm more happy with primes in the main and it's tiny and light by comparison.

Anyone own it?

I also went for the lightning deal on amazon yesterday. Em5 with grip, 12-50 and 45 for £600. Seemed a great deal but only 20% were claimed. I would imagine it will be on again before the end of the year.

I saw that deal too - I was tempted but thats just GAS :D

@minnnt I have the 12-40 - a very nice but as you say heavy lens. I'm pretty sure I have a few shots on my Flickr using it.

Yep - the Squirrel with the nut and the one of my daughter "Autumn Days" - I've taken a few more but don't swamp Flickr like I used to.

Last edited:
Pretty nice morning out with regards to the sky, but my fingers froze!!! Painful much. :arghh:

Have had this shot in mind for a while as it's on my way to work. A few observations from this morning have confirmed that 14mm is not wide enough, I had to shoot at f22 as there wasn't as much traffic as usual with it being the holidays as i wanted to try and get a few light trails in the shot which has zapped some of the image quality and standing on a motorway bridge when it's -3c is not the one.

Sunrise
by David Raynham, on Flickr

Some pretty cool compression from the 40-150mm.

Sunrise

Need more interesting foregrounds!

Sunrise

Ground mist can add so much to a photo!

Sunrise

Sunrise

Last edited:
David, I would have been sitting in my car operating the camera from my phone, using the wifi :)

Nice shots by the way, does that mean a 12mm is on the horizon?

Well the 12mm prime was on my list, but I'm not sure whether to just get the 9-18... :thinking: Would make sense I guess.

I shot the photo on the bridge using my phone as I didn't want any camera shake with it being a long exposure, but the others where shot normally.

Back