Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Llamaman - pop it on the classifieds and let me buy it then :D

When the Sony A77 is sold I think I've come up with a complete lens list for my needs.

Lightweight kit in Billingham - OM-D with half grip, 12-50, 40-150R and 45mm

Full kit in Domke F2 - OM-D with full grip, 9-18, 12-50, 20mm, 45mm and 100-300

I like the options this gives me for casual shooting, family days out or more serious sessions. Any thoughts on weakness of any lens or ideas to cut down a little on number of lenses? My preference id for landscapes (9-18, 20mm, 45mm and 100-300) but also do a bit of all other types of photography.

12-35 and 35-100 :) the OM-D deserves it

Unfortunately my wallet doesn't agree :dummy:

I already have the 45mm, 12-50 and 40-150 so the A77 sale will pay for most of the other lenses. Even if I sold everything bar the OM-D I'd still come up short of cash :thinking:

The performance of the Fuji is pitiful compared to the OMD. The XE1 was the most disappointing camera I've ever owned, over hyped in every way. I also have a dislike for the X Trans output. But you should always get what suits you rather than what others prefer.

Wow Lindsay strong words on the X-E1 there :D
I notice you had one a little while ago, I've just bought one and must admit I rather like it, I won't be selling my OM-D though ;)
Btw I find CaptureOne Pro does a very nice job with RAF files as it does with ORFs

Wow Lindsay strong words on the X-E1 there :D
I notice you had one a little while ago, I've just bought one and must admit I rather like it, I won't be selling my OM-D though ;)
Btw I find CaptureOne Pro does a very nice job with RAF files as it does with ORFs
I'm the same have the X-E1 and the OM-D they both have there strengths and slight weak points on each other, but there both excellent cameras and i would be very reluctant to sell either until maybe a newer replacement arrives assuming it has features worth upgrading too :)

I'm the same have the X-E1 and the OM-D they both have there strengths and slight weak points on each other, but there both excellent cameras and i would be very reluctant to sell either until maybe a newer replacement arrives assuming it has features worth upgrading too :)

Agreed. I didn't know which to go for but plumped for the OM-D because of speed of use and focusing, but I still have the X-E1 desire in my heart. I love fuji and everything they have created in recent years (X series only) but the focus let's it down for me. If it had the OM-D speed it would be the one for me.

I've enjoyed reading through this thread and looking at the excellent results you guys are getting from the OMD. I've had my OMD a month now and have really been enjoying using this camera not only from a handling perspective, but the IQ is rather fine too and the choice of glass is very impressive. I think my DSLR days may be numbered.

Took this shot on Friday night, some lovely light, taken with the 35-100

9227492891_aee3f6cc20_c_d.jpg

^ Wow :D amazeballs!

So, here's the predicament.

I've been looking at the OM-D a lot recently, and I am due a pretty hefty pay rise at work.

I used to have an E-510 and I know how awesome Oly cameras are. I sold that for a D300 which I love but it's bloody massive.

Can any one shed some light on how a 2008 DX sensor camera will perform alongside a newer OM-D?

^ Wow :D amazeballs!

So, here's the predicament.

I've been looking at the OM-D a lot recently, and I am due a pretty hefty pay rise at work.

I used to have an E-510 and I know how awesome Oly cameras are. I sold that for a D300 which I love but it's bloody massive.

Can any one shed some light on how a 2008 DX sensor camera will perform alongside a newer OM-D?

I had a D300s before my OM-D and the m43 sensor in the OM-D has cleaner images at higher ISOs.

The images do look different in general and it may be a good or a bad thing depending on your preference but they are definitely better at high ISO.

I also use my OM-D much more than the D300s because of its portability.

Definitely worth the change from the D300 in my opinion.

That's useful information thanks. It is so hard to compare reviews because what was "Good high ISO" in 2008 is totally different to now.

How about AF/Continuous AF/Tracking/Low Light AF?

That last shot is a real beauty James, love it!

Daniel, I moved from full frame Canon 5D2, and have no regrets on image quality front

That's useful information thanks. It is so hard to compare reviews because what was "Good high ISO" in 2008 is totally different to now.

How about AF/Continuous AF/Tracking/Low Light AF?

Auto focus is quicker on the OM-D for single shot, haven't tried continuous but I believe it's slower. Same with tracking I think. Low light auto focus is not an issue at all. I tested my panasonic 25mm at f/1.4 ISO 1600 in near full dark and it focused quickly and looked like daylight. I could read small text on some packaging which I couldn't read with just my eyes in that light. That's hand held btw.

Took the OM-D to Glastonbury a couple of weeks ago. Coupled with the 75-300mm I got a few good shots of Mick and the boys!

Fantastic shots Russ - love the lighting on Keith Richards.

Lindsay - Thank you. Your site has been a regular read since my X10 days and has been a great resource for information and guidance.

James

Took the OM-D to Glastonbury a couple of weeks ago. Coupled with the 75-300mm I got a few good shots of Mick and the boys!

Stunning work Russ, just shows how capable the OM-D and 75-300 are in skilled hands :)

Shots 2 and 3 look like waxworks.

But that's more of a comment about their hard living than your photography...

:)

Here's a few snapped on the Thames river bank later last month.
All with the 60 mm and E-M5.

Damsels

Mayfly on my wife's arm

Thanks for looking :)

Back