Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Anyone used the 45mm f1.8 with the OM-D?
It's rated pretty highly, just wondering how it compares to the 17mm f2.8.

I use the 17mm f1.8 and 45mm f1.8 both very good lenses even wide open, but as Lindsay said different uses.

I use the 17mm if I want to get get in close to a group as here

Birthday Girl by The Craftysnapper, on Flickr

The 45mm I use more for normal portrait shots like here. This one was shot wide open at f1.8

Chelsea by The Craftysnapper, on Flickr

Last edited:
I would rate the 45mm as my fav lens. Wonderfully sharp.

I dumped my old Olympus E-P3 & Panasonic G5 yesterday, E-M5. Having used the Pany and Oly bodies for the best part of a year side by side I've decided I don't want to compromise, apart from the convenience of having 2/3 bodies and lens combos in the bag, there's aspects of the G5 I don't like (long exposure noise is shocking) and the E-P3 is just getting too long in the tooth.

See my posts above, I have 12-35 & 35-100 and the 12-35 is glued to my EM5 :love:

Ive never been a zoom bloke really but from my brief use of the lens this weekend it seems to me that it runs the Olympus primes very close and I can get a used 12-35 for less than I can a 12mm....

I like the look of the new Olympus 12-40 but a bit reluctant to wait until November to see how it compares!

Last edited:
12-35 on its way????

Speaking of lenses on Amazon. Here's the silver 40-150 R with bag and 8gb SD card for £113.11 delivered (linky). Exceptional value :D

Read such good things on this lens that I have decided that it was a bargain that needed liberating!!
Thank you very much for the heads up!

Its funny I was browsing lenses on Amazon when I noticed the EM1 in stock for delivery tomorrow........

Yes you have been a very bad boy Chris!! :D
Just a pity I have the 12-50mm already, so I will just have to keep waiting for body only to arrive somewhere!!
Let us know what you think when it arrives!

Its funny I was browsing lenses on Amazon when I noticed the EM1 in stock for delivery tomorrow........

you sure its for delivery tomorrow? says its going to be released on the 14th?

Shows 13th October (yep, sunday) for body only and the with the 12-50 lens shows delivery on Saturday is available

That 40-150R looks like a bit of a deal, good spot :)

Selection of images from another outing with the EM5 & 12-35 combo

10095992163_bcd4409e88_c.jpg

10024028403_4b067622f2_c.jpg

10121771733_b607e8c25d_c.jpg

10123445433_8de54d8d48_c.jpg

10041518523_044eeb5586_c.jpg

Last edited:
I have to say im very interested in the 12-40, but will be good and wait for the initial price to drop I think. Well thats the plan anyway!

So is now a good time to buy a EM5? Complete beginner so need to put money into lenses as well as a body.

After something for travel, portraits and I enjoy good landscapes.

Amazon are doing the silver one with 12-50 lens for £860 plus free 45mm lens claiming from Olympus. Would love a EM1 but you are talking about £1700 for the set up with the same lenses.

Still a bit of weighting up against the Canon 70D, I would have to go with a HK importer such as HDEW who are offering it with the 18-55 STM lens.....Decisions, decisions.

For a beginner, don't go nuts of the spending, no matter how tempting it is.

You'll spend your first few months just learning the basics, during which time your brand-new camera will deteriorate in value (and new ones will drop in price). Better to buy a cheaper 2nd hand body now, learn, and then upgrade when you know what features you do or don't need. The money you save can be spent on lenses :)

PS I'll readily admit I learnt this the hard way. My first purchase was a D5000, as I couldn't afford a D7000. I enjoyed using it, but with hindsight I should have bought a D90, and then later bought a D7000.

Sensible answers please with reasons:

Black or silver body?

Many thanks!

Thanks for reply Mcshug but how do I set up the camera? I have read I have to set "shooting without lens" in the menu but cannot find this, the manual is indecipherable!

Anyone got one/tried one?

I'm in the market and would like practical reports please before I jump.

Thanks

Jeff

Back