Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Dave
The 9-18 is small and capable I use mine lot.
I am considering a 7-14 f 2.8 though but will need to move from 85mm to 100mm filters.

I have had a good look at both Alf :)

I already have the 100mm filters for use with my DSLR.

Can you get an adaptor for the 7-14? I am assuming someone has made something that slips over the end and allows a Lee holder to mount?

9-18 looks good as well - tiny and a lot cheaper ;)

I have had a good look at both Alf :)

I already have the 100mm filters for use with my DSLR.

Can you get an adaptor for the 7-14? I am assuming someone has made something that slips over the end and allows a Lee holder to mount?

9-18 looks good as well - tiny and a lot cheaper ;)

I think nisi do a filter holder.

Good to know Graham - Going to have a good look at the 9-18 first as it is smaller, lighter, cheaper and I can use my existing filters.

I don't need f2.8 as it will be 99.9% for landscapes and I don't really want to start investing in another filter system.

You won't find many people disliking the 9-18 around here. Amazing little thing.

I blame @alfbranch for me getting one. No regrets though

I had a play with the em1 mk2 the other day and I have to say I am very impressed with it. The speed at which it operates is mind blowing, it feels so positive and fast. Tracking af looks to be really good, was using it in a very crowded room at ascot, so not ideal but it certainly has potential to be game changer imo. I use a 7d2 and was suprosed to see how good the noise performance seemed as well, going on back of camera images as not allowed to put a card in myself.The 2 cameras do not seem that far apart at all. If I brought one I doubt I would have any regrets. Been thinking on and off for a while weather to replace my 7d2 with m4/3. The wildlife side of things I reckon it would have to be the em1 mk2. Still not sure which way to go.

I did have an em1 for a few hours, loaned it with the 14-150 first which seems a fairly capable lens, any views on the 14-150 from long term users? I then went back and had a play with the 75mm, what a beautiful lens that is.

Some pics I like from the 75mm

news by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

flowers by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

fallen by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

excuse me by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

I have a 7D2 and I am also considering switching to an EM1ii for wildlife. I have an EM5 ii and love it, and also a 5Diii. I haven't really tried to do anything fast moving with the EM5ii as it's more for travel, but the longer and not so huge lenses are very tempting.

I bought the 75mm lens second hand and it is very impressive. Did you mean the 40-150mm pro? I am also interested in this lens, but have never tried it.

Last edited:
I have a 7D2 and I am also considering switching to an EM1ii for wildlife. I have an EM5 ii and love it, and also a 5Diii. I haven't really tried to do anything fast moving with this as it's more for travel, but the longer and not so huge lenses is very tempting.

I bought the 75mm lens second hand and it is very impressive. Did you mean the 40-150mm pro? I am also interested in this lens, but have never tried it.
It was the little one. They weren't allowed to let people walk around with the pro. I did use it on the em1mk2 it's a cracking combination.

It was the little one. They weren't allowed to let people walk around with the pro. I did use it on the em1mk2 it's a cracking combination.

So in your original post you said 14-150 and in this one you're talking about the 40-150. Which one is it? :)
I have a 14-150 on my E-M5ii and it's very good. I don't normally rate long-range zooms, but there's very little to complain about with that one. The aperture is a bit slow of course, but for a one-lens walk about solution it does very well.

So in your original post you said 14-150 and in this one you're talking about the 40-150. Which one is it? :)
I have a 14-150 on my E-M5ii and it's very good. I don't normally rate long-range zooms, but there's very little to complain about with that one. The aperture is a bit slow of course, but for a one-lens walk about solution it does very well.

Ooops, tiredness not helping me make sense. I used the 14-150 super zoom on my walk around. I wanted to take the 40-150 pro instead but they were not letting those be loaned for the day.

Some pics from the 14-150

autumn leaf by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

odd one out by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

This one was zoomed in and cropped at 50%

ascot #5 by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

While I'm writing, is the em1 worth chosing over the 5mk2 ?

You won't find many people disliking the 9-18 around here. Amazing little thing.

No I agree I use mine a lot but would love a focus scale and I need to keep reminding myself of the vary focal nature of the lens compared to my 12-40

Toying with the idea of getting an em10 mk1 as its more cost effective & 14-42 lens just for capturing the grandkids as lugging the d700 around is a pain anyone using 1?

Last edited:
Toying with the idea of getting an em10 mk1 as its more cost effective & 14-42 lens just for capturing the grandkids as lugging the d700 around is a pain anyone using 1?

Not sure where Mk1 prices are these days but I'm sure I saw somebody post a deal the other day for a new mk2 with 14-42 pancake for less than £400. Seemed like a real bargain.

I briefly contemplated doing that before snapping up your X100!

Not sure where Mk1 prices are these days but I'm sure I saw somebody post a deal the other day for a new mk2 with 14-42 pancake for less than £400. Seemed like a real bargain.

I briefly contemplated doing that before snapping up your X100!
got my used mk1 for under £450 from lce if that helps a few days ago

Im struggling with bracketing on my E-M10 MKII if anyone can help!

In short can i set it up to do 3 shots with 2 stops between?

I've had a look and can see a list in the braketing menu for lots ranging from 2 shots 1/2 difference to 5 shots 1 stop difference but no 3 shots with 2 stops difference

I've had a look and can see a list in the braketing menu for lots ranging from 2 shots 1/2 difference to 5 shots 1 stop difference but no 3 shots with 2 stops difference

If it isn't in the options then I doubt you can do it, which is probably for a reason. Why not shoot 5 shots, it takes the same amount of time and would give it better results?

If it isn't in the options then I doubt you can do it, which is probably for a reason. Why not shoot 5 shots, it takes the same amount of time and would give it better results?

yeah i was planning on that but i was getting a different issue where i press the shutter and it would take 0, -1, -2 then stop. The if i pressed the shutter again it took 0, +1, +2, so i haven't i clue what is going on there. Maybe something to do with the drive mode?

Question. If I were to buy the Olympus 12-100 F4 lens, and I wanted to use it with a longer lens, which longer one would be the next reasonable one up, so to speak?

DSC01876_olyhandson.jpeg

I may not actually get this lens, but I want you folks to think I can afford it!

Thanks. I'd missed that one. I'll look closer.

If you activate bracketing on the shooting menu, there is a small right-arrow that takes you into the choice of number of stops etc. You can set it to anything. When you switch bracketing on, you get that setting.

Something like this from memory:
Menu -> Shooting Menu 2 -> Bracketing -> AE Bracketing -> Right Arrow.

Last edited:
Thanks. I'd missed that one. I'll look closer.

If you activate bracketing on the shooting menu, there is a small right-arrow that takes you into the choice of number of stops etc. You can set it to anything. When you switch bracketing on, you get that setting.

Yeah I saw that but that's only on the first 2 options which are only 2 shots.

Question. If I were to buy the Olympus 12-100 F4 lens, and I wanted to use it with a longer lens, which longer one would be the next reasonable one up, so to speak?

DSC01876_olyhandson.jpeg

I may not actually get this lens, but I want you folks to think I can afford it!

Reasonable in what terms ? You could go 40-150 pro + TC to give you effectively 420mm at f4.

Or do you mean financially reasonable ?

Reasonable in what terms ? You could go 40-150 pro + TC to give you effectively 420mm at f4.
Or do you mean financially reasonable ?
None of these lenses are financially reasonable!! Range reasonable I suppose.
The 40-150 overlaps the 12-100 by a lot. A lot of weight and cost too, to get both.

Think of how nicely the 12-40 snuggles up to the 40-150. That sort of reasonable.

And a TC on the 12-100 gets you a paltry 140mm.

Last edited:
None of these lenses are financially reasonable!! Range reasonable I suppose.
The 40-150 overlaps the 12-100 by a lot. A lot of weight and cost too, to get both.

The 75-300 or Panny 100-300 would be options. Both a bit slower in aperture and af speed but reasonably compact and about £200-300 used.

Back