Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

The only switch I would make right now away from M43 is to Fuji, and that is a nice little set up you bought for sure.

I thought on the A7II for a bit too, but tbh the Sony thread on here turned me right off :D

if you don't NEED to sell the Olympus gear (for financial reasons for example) - why not hold on to it?

I plan on buying a A7R3 next year because I want to scratch the full frame itch again and get the megapixel count but it will be complimenting my Olympus stuff. The Sony will be for photography trips specifically whereas the Olympus will be my go to for everything else.

And you need to set your wifes expectations if she EVER thinks you have "enough" camera gear :p

Thanks Guys,

I had been looking at the XT2 & the XT3 for the last few weeks, I was put off the XT3 because of the issues it currently has that I’ve heard about from various sources, this was verified by the Fuji rep although she did say a new firmware update had come out at Midnight last night. I traded in my Pan 25 f1.4 (although I didn’t get what I thought it was worth), I got 10% discount for 2nd hand because of the Open Day so ended up Paying £425 for the XT2.

I will probably keep the Em1 mkII and the 12-100mm f4 and possible the 75m f1.8. So will probably be offloading the Pen-F, 40-150mm f2.8 Pro Lens + T/C and and my 30mm f3.5 Macro in the near future in the Classifieds..

Thanks Guys,

I had been looking at the XT2 & the XT3 for the last few weeks, I was put off the XT3 because of the issues it currently has that I’ve heard about from various sources, this was verified by the Fuji rep although she did say a new firmware update had come out at Midnight last night. I traded in my Pan 25 f1.4 (although I didn’t get what I thought it was worth), I got 10% discount for 2nd hand because of the Open Day so ended up Paying £425 for the XT2.

I will probably keep the Em1 mkII and the 12-100mm f4 and possible the 75m f1.8. So will probably be offloading the Pen-F, 40-150mm f2.8 Pro Lens + T/C and and my 30mm f3.5 Macro in the near future in the Classifieds..

AT least keep the em1 mII for a while so you can compare both over time, it'd be interesting to see after say a month, whether you really end up preferring the Fuji

So will probably be offloading the Pen-F, 40-150mm f2.8 Pro Lens + T/C and and my 30mm f3.5 Macro in the near future in the Classifieds..
Will need to keep my eyes peeled then. 40-150 is on my wish list!

Evening Guys,

GAS got the better of me today.....I went along to WEX to pick up a £20 decoration ring for my Olympus 40-150 f2.8. Got there and it was their Open Day........I know, I can here you all in unison saying “Here gone and bought summit else” Yeah your right all them reps there with all that shiny new gear, I was drawn in and snared... As I left my partner said £1800 !!!! “I thought you had enough Cameras and Lenses”. Hmmm, me don’t think so...
So what did he get I hear you all cry.. well I came away with (All 2nd Hand, I am money conscious after all) a Fuji XT2, Fuji 23mm f2 and Fuji 100-400..(All rated 9+, and they are minty mint). I have just got in and the camera is on charge... The dilemma now will be do I keep all my Olympus Gear ?

Only you can decide.
I like Fuji gear, I tried it myself a while back but kept the bones of my Oly kit. Reverted back to Oly in the end.

I switched from Fuji to M43, and the only real difference I found was ISO performance. Honestly, that is all Fuji has over M43. There is something nice and comfy about the Fuji system, they have really nice lenses and the bodies just feel smart. But M43 beats them with IBIS [I used Fuji pre-XH1] and bonuses like non-laggy touch screen, and access to more budget friendly lenses. There's always some kind of compromise.

Evening Guys,

GAS got the better of me today.....I went along to WEX to pick up a £20 decoration ring for my Olympus 40-150 f2.8. Got there and it was their Open Day........I know, I can here you all in unison saying “Here gone and bought summit else” Yeah your right all them reps there with all that shiny new gear, I was drawn in and snared... As I left my partner said £1800 !!!! “I thought you had enough Cameras and Lenses”. Hmmm, me don’t think so...
So what did he get I hear you all cry.. well I came away with (All 2nd Hand, I am money conscious after all) a Fuji XT2, Fuji 23mm f2 and Fuji 100-400..(All rated 9+, and they are minty mint). I have just got in and the camera is on charge... The dilemma now will be do I keep all my Olympus Gear ?

WOw enjoy it's a cracking set up I kept my oly gear along with my Nikon and Canon systems :fuji::olympus::nikon::canon::film: and not forgetting Pentax lol :exit:

Last edited:
Hmm..not quite sure what to think of this, but over on 4/3 rumors, they are saying with a degree of confidence (i.e. FT5), that the new OMD EM1X will be like a mini Canon 1DX with a non removable built in battery grip !!

https://www.43rumors.com/ft5-the-new-olympus-e-m1x-is-a-canon-1dx-level-camera/

It's a bold move by Olympus but one that I hope doesn't backfire on them. The EM1 MK II at launch was already as expensive as it's APS-C competitors (Nikon D500, Fuji X-T2 etc), and I can't help feeling that if this is a £2-2.5k plus camera, who will buy it when you can have an X-T3 for £1,399 (and that will no doubt drop slightly in a few months) , or the FF king - the Sony A7 III at less than £1,900 (today's prices). As much as I love Micro Four third, unless Olympus have secretly developed a global sensor or some other technology that improves high ISO by a stop and a half to 2 stops and better DR, then you just can't agure effectively for a body this (probably) expensive with it's much smaller sensor and thus inferior image quality (at least compared to FF).

Hmm..not quite sure what to think of this, but over on 4/3 rumors, they are saying with a degree of confidence (i.e. FT5), that the new OMD EM1X will be like a mini Canon 1DX with a non removable built in battery grip !!

It's a bold move by Olympus but one that I hope doesn't backfire on them. The EM1 MK II at launch was already as expensive as it's APS-C competitors (Nikon D500, Fuji X-T2 etc), and I can't help feeling that if this is a £2-2.5k plus camera, who will buy it when you can have an X-T3 for £1,399 (and that will no doubt drop slightly in a few months) , or the FF king - the Sony A7 III at less than £1,900 (today's prices). As much as I love Micro Four third, unless Olympus have secretly developed a global sensor or some other technology that improves high ISO by a stop and a half to 2 stops and better DR, then you just can't agure effectively for a body this (probably) expensive with it's much smaller sensor and thus inferior image quality (at least compared to FF).
I think M4/3 has to stop trying to compete with the big boys and find its own niche, which IMO is the significantly smaller form factor and cheaper lenses (like for like).

I think Fuji have been quite clever with the pricing of the X-T3, it leaves them room to price the X-H2 around the £1700 mark without heading into the £2k territory. Olympus must believe they have something truly special if they going to price over £2k, if they do this forum will probably go into meltdown!

Agreed, although to be fair I'm only speculating at the price based upon one of the earlier M/3 Rumors statement -

(FT5) New Olympus OMD will be very expensive and outshine current models

I'm still clinging on to my EM1 mk2 and lenses in the hope that Olympus can do something amazing with this new body, and am also hoping that there is some new long zoom. The 300 f4 is not flexible enough for me, something like a 100-400 would be ideal, and I did look at the Panasonic before I bought a Fuji X-H1 with their 100-400.
I'd still like to loose a bit more weight from my camera bag, but as you say Andrew, they need to do something quite special..

I think Fuji have been quite clever with the pricing of the X-T3, it leaves them room to price the X-H2 around the £1700 mark without heading into the £2k territory. Olympus must believe they have something truly special if they going to price over £2k, if they do this forum will probably go into meltdown!

Let them moan :D

I wouldn't get over excited about a rumor just yet either

Nobody panic! Don't forget that's a click bait site of sorts. It's only a couple of months off being announced now.

I do agree with snerkler above, Olympus need to stop with the enlarging bullcrap, but at the same time It's like this, it's not going to change what is already available. Some day the snobbier photographer will realise that we do not all want FF, and even if this turns out to be true and has a built in grip - it's not going to suddenly make the lenses any larger or heavier. I'm willing to bet there's more to it than simply adding a built in battery grip too. There'll be reasons

I'm no fan of rumour sites, wait until it's out then it is what it is ;)

Last edited:
Thanks Guys,

I kept some of my Fuji gear, X-Pro2 and three stabilised zoom lenses.
Also now got a Panasonic GX9 with a few primes, nice to be able to use them now I have ibis.

Still thinking about getting a Pen F one day, like rangefinder style as you can see from my choices above.

Rich,

if you fancy chatting regarding the X-pro 2 and lenses, let me know....

Andy

Rich,

if you fancy chatting regarding the X-pro 2 and lenses, let me know....

Andy

Will do Andy, just remembered I kept the 14mm as well.
Have to say I would be more likely to shift the m4/3 gear thqn the Fuji kit.
Quality from the latter is definitely better especially the sooc jpegs and the raw's have more detail to recover if needed.
Still like using the smaller lighter gear and fortunately in a position to keep both

Last edited:
In other actual non click bait news. Bargain tripod ebay purchase arrived at my friends today who checked it over and says the tripod is "mint" and has now packed it back up and it should be with me in a week or so. Happy times!

Reactions: akr
Well click bait or not, M4/3 rumors has today posted that Olympus has registered the new camera, and the registration info includes the size of the new camera. Bloody hell, it's 146mm tall - that's the same size as a Nikon D5, and it's 5mm wider than my Fuji X-H1 (that a lot of people complain is too large for APS-C !

It did get me wondering (I'm sure this is just pie in the sky), but I remember an interview with Olympus techs some years ago and the reason as to why the lens mount throat was so large compared to the sensor size. The comment was that it allowed the projected image area to be quite a bit larger than was needed for the M4/3 sensor, and so the sensor took the sweet spot of the image circle. It therefore got me wondering, as there actually isn't a massive difference in physical dimensions between a M4/3 sensor and an APS-C one (18mm x 13.5mm vs 23.5mm x 15.6mm), coudl it be possible that the Olympus OMD EM1X is actually an APS-C body and that the lenses will actually project an image large enough to cover the image circle required ? If that is the case (at least with maybe the Olympus Pro lenses), then they wouldn't have to develop an new line of lenses from scratch and woudl be ready to hit the ground running ?

I only ask as it's a huge camera by M4/3 standards, but could be a killer APS-C one. Couple that with the earlier comments that it would meet or exceed (what ever that means) the Fuji X-T3, then I'm wondering if the "X" in the camera name means "Xtra large sensor" ? Would be one way to get an improved high ISO and better DR. Like I say probably not (for many reasons I haven't thought of), but makes you wonder. Maybe they have looked at Fuji and seen how successful they have been with their APS-C cameras, and like them is the reason why they have said they won't be developing full frame (or even joining the L-Alliance) as they have other ideas up their sleeve ?

Another possible reason is that the new camera is not only a lot taller, but as I said above is 5mm wider than a Fuji X-H1 and over 10mm wider than the current EM1 MK II, and nearly 7.5mm wider than the Panasonic G9 which itself is almost APS-C or small FF size ?

Last edited:
Could be a new sensor type? A camera like that is either aimed at studio photographers or sports - either it's a bigger high res sensor or its designed for speed - the battery pack for insane burst rate. I don't think this will be aimed at your average shooter. So if we weren't going to buy it either way, then why are we worried? I do hope they have something less over the top in the works too though

Not so sure about that Keith. A lot of us on here use M4/3 and APS-C for wildlife / bird photography, and one of the limiting things about the current crop of M4/3 sensors is their limited high ISO performance and the OK but not stellar AF-C performance. If a large body either with a new APS_C sensor (like the one in the Fuji X-T3), it could also allow more space inside for bigger multi processors to improve to DSLR levels the continuous AF performance. Then if (and I do mean if), the current pro lenses will work with it (or maybe Olympus will re-start up the 4/3 line of lenses) , then having a state of the art APS-C (or even a new tech M4/3 sensor that approaches or exceeds APS-C), then having a large number of existing Pro Lenses (as I do) that might work with it out of the bag so to speak, it could also appeal to the wildlife shooter as well. After all, I know plenty of togs who are just amateurs that have D850's, D5's, 1DX MK II etc with the big 400 and 600mm glass.

Last edited:
Not so sure about that Keith. A lot of us on here use M4/3 and APS-C for wildlife / bird photography, and one of the limiting things about the current crop of M4/3 sensors is their limited high ISO performance and the OK but not stellar AF-C performance. If a large body either with a new APS_C sensor (like the one in the Fuji X-T3), it could also allow more space inside for bigger multi processors to improve to DSLR levels the continuous AF performance. Then if (and I do mean if), the current pro lenses will work with it (or maybe Olympus will re-start up the 4/3 line of lenses) , then having a state of the art APS-C (or even a new tech M4/3 sensor that approaches or exceeds APS-C), then having a large number of existing Pro Lenses (as I do) that might work with it out of the bag so to speak, it could also appeal to the wildlife shooter as well. After all, I know plenty of togs who are just amateurs that have D850's, D5's, 1DX MK II etc with the big 400 and 600mm glass.

APSC is barely better than m43 for iso performance, with the exception of Fuji perhaps. Anyone who wants APSC is already shooting it, there's not that much in the difference in size and weight as is. The exception being only a handfulhof lenses that are aafair chunk bigger - take thet16-55 2.8 fuji, its huge towards the Oly 12-40. What APSC cannot do as well as m43 is ibis. But that's not really all that relevant for sports. What I do know is nobody was asking for this, I don't remember ever seeing anyone look for larger m43 bodies, no matter what they stick inside.

hmm..not sure I agree with everything there Keith. I appreciate I'm not comparing apples with apples but my D500 is far superior to my e-m1.1 and e-m10 mk2 in terms of high ISO. Both m43 cameras are not good. Admittedly, the e-m1.2 is much better but still not D500 like, either in terms of noise or AF performance. There is an argument that if your camera ( whatever it is ) has great low light performance, then the need for IBIS is much reduced ( in most circumstances )

But like you say, i don't recall any m43 user saying they wish their camera was bigger. To me, it somewhat defeats the object

As Damian said, despite what test charts may show, one of the things I loved about my old D500 (and one of my biggest regrets in selling it), was it's high ISO performance. Whereas the M4/3 is good for ISO performance (for it's sensor size) up to about ISO3200, above that the detail starts to soften considerably (even if in camera NR is turned off). My D500 by contrast delivered superb images up to ISO8000 and i even had some really beautiful very detailed ISO 12,800 shots of a Jay when I nailed the exposure and didn't underexpose. I love M4/3 and have invested heavily into it (lots of bodies and lenses) but there's no way the High ISO performance on my EM1.2 or G9 are anywhere near as good as the D500 over ISO1600 and it really starts to pull away over ISO 3200 upwards. In my mind it was at least 1-1.5stops better than the EM1.2

I't sprobably all a mute point however as even if it is a killer body, based on the price the EM1.2 was launched at, the EM1-X might well be the thick end of £3k, so that would have me (and a lot of other M4/3 and APS-C shooters) giving it a miss anyway despite it's apparent large size.

Last edited:
hmm..not sure I agree with everything there Keith. I appreciate I'm not comparing apples with apples but my D500 is far superior to my e-m1.1 and e-m10 mk2 in terms of high ISO. Both m43 cameras are not good. Admittedly, the e-m1.2 is much better but still not D500 like, either in terms of noise or AF performance. There is an argument that if your camera ( whatever it is ) has great low light performance, then the need for IBIS is much reduced ( in most circumstances )

But like you say, i don't recall any m43 user saying they wish their camera was bigger. To me, it somewhat defeats the object

Whether we agree or not, APSC still has a fair crop, it can only perform so well. Nikon and Fuji have some models that are excellent at higher ISO for sure, but that's improvements in sensor tech rather than the size. Canon's APSC with 1.6x crop are no better performing than M43 at the same levels, look at any direct comparison site and it's there in visual form.

Personally, I never go above 3200, even when i shot full frame, and I did so for 5 years, you still get noise no matter how well performing the sensor is, and in general I just avoid that unless necessary. I'd love M43 to perform better, but it's not hard to deal with as I find the noise/grain finer and easier to process.

I don't think Olympus have been listening for a long time now, I'm betting top of the requests from users are Em5mkIII, Em1mkIII an update Pen F, and more fast zooms and primes at prosumer level, not big chunky 1.2 glass that they can't afford.

Actually can't argue with any of that Keith.

Actually can't argue with any of that Keith.

I was actually surprised and disappointed by some of Canon's offerings, not too long back I strongly considered a switch over - thought on the 80D with one of the M-series on side. When I started looking up reviews, and from there comparing samples I found them to be no better for ISO performance, and actually poorer in terms of DR. The G80 has pretty decent DR considering the sensor size, it's impressive what you can pull back. It's never competing with FF or even the best of the APSC bunch, but it's very workable. I found the same with the Em5 when I owned it, very capable little camera and that's old tech even by M43 standards. So I decided to stick for now, though Fuji is still whispering in my ear to return :D

Back