Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

That's the one I've gone for. Will see how I get on

Anybody know when the e-m5 iii is likely to appear? I’m really keen on getting another mk2 but they’ve held their value so well for a few years. I just don’t want to buy one the week before a new camera is announced and immediately see its value plummet!

Olympus omd em10 mark ii eyecup. Mine has come off somewhere and I've lost it.
Anyone know the correct name (code) for what I'm looking for? There seems to be a standard and a extra large.

According to Luton Cameras, its the EP-15. They do them for £9.99 plus £3.50 postage. You've reminded me that I have a couple of them brand new that I got but didn't need to use (and since move to a different camera). If you want them, I can put them on classifieds and let you know

Last edited:
According to Luton Cameras, its the EP-15. They do them for £9.99 plus £3.50 postage. You've reminded me that I have a couple of them brand new that I got but didn't need to use (and since move to a different camera). If you want them, I can put them on classifieds and let you know

I just bought one from HK for 2 quid. But a genuine one would be nicer. It's silly money for a bit of plastic :)

Last edited:
Some photographers can do far better than me catching birds in flight with a miirorless camera, I feel though i have hit the limit of what i can do, infact the quality of my work has dropped lately.

I know a poor workman blames his tools so i am doing just that.:eek:

My m4/3 gear has gone and i have a Nikon D500 and Sigma 100-400, it should be easier to get better results with this gear.

Absolutely love this! I've been away so have some catching up to do - helios? This is such an active thread it all moves on so quickly!

It's an old manual focus Russian lens, the Helios 44-2, a 58mm F2 that is still popular today adapted to mirrorless bodies, famous for it's quirky at times bokeh

Some photographers can do far better than me catching birds in flight with a miirorless camera, I feel though i have hit the limit of what i can do, infact the quality of my work has dropped lately.

My m4/3 gear has gone and i have a Nikon D500 and Sigma 100-400, it should be easier to get better results with this gear.

Quite surprised Mike, will be interesting to know how you get on with the new setup .
Rob.

Quite surprised Mike, will be interesting to know how you get on with the new setup .
Rob.

If ime honest i think the main problem was the lens, if Panasonic had a better after sales service i would never have sold my 100-400, the 40-150 2.8 and TC obviously gives a smaller image a lot of the time and it was those shots i struggled with.
The 300mm prime would not work for me in my situation, i needed a zoom.

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one on this forum that doesn't shoot BIF! :D But yes, the D500 should do it better, it's apparently the ideal wildlife Dslr. Still a boring Nikon to me personally though, had enough of their same ol' same ol' bodies. Been through 5 of them and though they got better as I went through them, I still found them a bit stale in the end. You may well love it though! :D

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one on this forum that doesn't shoot BIF! :D But yes, the D500 should do it better, it's apparently the ideal wildlife Dslr. Still a boring Nikon to me personally though, had enough of their same ol' same ol' bodies. Been through 5 of them and though they got better as I went through them, I still found them a bit stale in the end. You may well love it though! :D
The D500 is indeed stellar in the AF department, but I'm not convinced the 100-400mm is though tbh. I used one at Silverstone and it was perfectly acceptable, but not stellar and I don't think it will bring the best out of the D500 AF. Still a very good combo though (y)

Yes for birds the 300 pro gives far more chances even then it often needs the TC .
Rob.

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one on this forum that doesn't shoot BIF! :D

Not the only one, I'm mostly motor-sports, but I have tried on occasion, or at least been to a few events where there's been a falconry display ...

Against a clear sky, the EM1.2 does lock on fairly reliably, but it can easily get confused if there's basically *anything* else under the focus point(s) it decides is more interesting. I'm sure it's my technique, and if I bothered to practise on this sort of thing I'd do better.

Not the only one, I'm mostly motor-sports, but I have tried on occasion, or at least been to a few events where there's been a falconry display ...

Against a clear sky, the EM1.2 does lock on fairly reliably, but it can easily get confused if there's basically *anything* else under the focus point(s) it decides is more interesting. I'm sure it's my technique, and if I bothered to practise on this sort of thing I'd do better.

Nice.

I went and looked through my Flickr to see if I had any BIF images, the only one I could find was back in 2011, shot with a D90 and 70-200 of a Red Kite when I was staying in Dorchester for a bit - we don't see these often around here, I know there's Buzzards, and probably other birds of prey not too far from me, but I have no clue precisely where, or when would be best time to try capture them in flight.

Red Kite by K G, on Flickr
Best leave it to those with experience in my case then :D I guess it's like some people who never do anything close to [hur!] macro, and some have never shot portraits ...

The D500 is indeed stellar in the AF department, but I'm not convinced the 100-400mm is though tbh. I used one at Silverstone and it was perfectly acceptable, but not stellar and I don't think it will bring the best out of the D500 AF. Still a very good combo though (y)

Being 70 and retired sometimes stellar is out the question:D i have had this outfit before so i know what it should do,couple of samples.

D500

dsc_1663_35832995766_o.jpg

dsc_4532_36998046791_o.jpg

One from my garden today omd mkII 300f4pro +tc 1/4000 f5.6 iso 800 the great thing with this setup is you can hold it all day just stood in the garden you just can't do that with my FF kit if the Olympus new camera is just a little better and they bring out a 400f4 zoom or not I may well sell some of my Canon gear , not all in case they do bring out a pro type mirrow less .
Rob.

PB130062.jpg

well that is a turn up for the books . I'm still quiet happy with my Panasonic 100-400 I simply couldn't afford to chop and change again .

well that is a turn up for the books . I'm still quiet happy with my Panasonic 100-400 I simply couldn't afford to chop and change again .

Well i wouldnt put my money into a panasonic 100-400 and thats the lens i would have needed.

Being 70 and retired sometimes stellar is out the question:D i have had this outfit before so i know what it should do,couple of samples.

D500

View attachment 138673

View attachment 138674

Good luck Mike - I've wondered the same myself many times re BIF, I find the keeper rate low. I have pondered trading in 100-400 and not using M4/3 for BIF, but I'm wondering if the EM1II might improve things, or whatever comes out, or going to a 7dII or 1D variant. Have decided to hold off moving for now as M4/3 has re-invigorated my photography, but that has led to wanting more and so the circle commences...

I am forever considering going to another system , but I'm so comfortable with my kit , and at the same time it causes me stress in that I feel it gets in my way at times

Hi - have a look at the settings that Scott Bourne uses for BIF; he lists his settings. I haven't used mine for BIF - he shows what can be done with it... hope that helps. I love my Oly but I am not using it for this yet.

Last edited:
I'm surprised too @mikew as I thought you'd posted some good BIF pics.

I'm running both a Canon and Olympus system at the moment. I've had a few trips to the Hawk Conservancy lately and then just had a two week trip to Portugal and Spain. I took both on my trip and the Canon didn't come out of it's bag! I'm far more comfortable with the Canon when shooting action, but I've been forcing myself to improve my technique with the Oly. On holiday I just didn't feel inclined to carry the weight and next time it will stay at home. I've still a way to go with technique!

Here's a vulture from the Hawk Conservancy (saw one in Portugal too I think!) and a falcon - managed to keep focus on the bird in this one. I can see from the exif that it's continuous focus but would it say if I'd had tracking on?
180909115822-BC093538.jpg 181016141814-BC167540.jpg

and here's a vulture from Spain - heavy crop with 300 f/4 and Em1ii from the car window.

181106143458-BC060002.jpg

Also got some dolphin action on the ferry - realised the field of view of the 300mm was too difficult as they were popping up all over the place - had to resort to the 40-150 + 1.4 extender, so a heavy crop again!

181029170938-BC298956.jpg

I am forever considering going to another system , but I'm so comfortable with my kit , and at the same time it causes me stress in that I feel it gets in my way at times

I think any system is a compromise of sorts, and lets be honest some gear you don't need but it just looks nice or you just want it. With me I know the EM5MKii is not the best for CAF etc, so I know I would do better with a camera with better AF, like the Nikon D500. I also know that a better photographer than me would get better photos with my kit.

At the end of the day, I need remember for me, kit is not light, kit stays at home most of the time, and I have to accept whatever compromises come with that, and perhaps at some point have another system to cater for areas my current kit can't, with my level of ability.

Well i wouldnt put my money into a panasonic 100-400 and thats the lens i would have needed.
I really can’t see why mike

I don't think I ever focussed the 7.5FE when I had one, just stuck it on and left it

Back