Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

I am fully considering changing to the Olympus system, as much as anything to get lighter gear and particularly the IBIS.

In preparation I was taking shots of my Nikon gear to decide whether to try to sell and just out of curiosity I mounted my SB600 speedlight on a Yongnou trigger and put the transmitter on an O-M10 . Strangely it worked even thought the triggers are Nikon fit. Looks like only manual not TTL but it did fire. Is this usual?

Some flash guns fire on some Olympus and Panasonic models it’s a case of if your lucky with flash

.... As with all cameras, there's no such thing as a perfect camera (or lens!) and it's always horses-for-courses. But here is one of my first efforts on the Olympus TG-6 for macro. At the moment I am getting on better with the TG-6 than the Oly 60mm Macro for wildlife macro shots but the lack of articulated screen and EVF on the TG-6 is a limitation. But it also has in-camera Focus Stacking and even Pro Capture at 10fps, which I haven't used yet.

Without being told, would you have known this macro image of a tiny Crab Spider was taken on a compact pocket camera? :

CRAB SPIDER IN AMBUSH MODE by Robin Procter, on Flickr

In the exact science of hindsight I could have also shot this with in-camera Focus Stacking. The TG-6 differs from the E-M1 series in that you only get the one final stacked JPG to upload and post-process. One of the advantages of only shooting RAW is that you can spot that any JPG is a stack result.

I don't get on at all with using a mobile phone to take photos and so the TG-6 solves my limitation and offers much much more.
Is this a recent innovation? My wife has a Tough 4 [I think it is a 4].

.... As with all cameras, there's no such thing as a perfect camera (or lens!) and it's always horses-for-courses. But here is one of my first efforts on the Olympus TG-6 for macro. At the moment I am getting on better with the TG-6 than the Oly 60mm Macro for wildlife macro shots but the lack of articulated screen and EVF on the TG-6 is a limitation. But it also has in-camera Focus Stacking and even Pro Capture at 10fps, which I haven't used yet.

Without being told, would you have known this macro image of a tiny Crab Spider was taken on a compact pocket camera? :

CRAB SPIDER IN AMBUSH MODE by Robin Procter, on Flickr

In the exact science of hindsight I could have also shot this with in-camera Focus Stacking. The TG-6 differs from the E-M1 series in that you only get the one final stacked JPG to upload and post-process. One of the advantages of only shooting RAW is that you can spot that any JPG is a stack result.

I don't get on at all with using a mobile phone to take photos and so the TG-6 solves my limitation and offers much much more.
I used to have Olympus XZ-1 compact which I would use instead of my E-620 DSLR for some shots. My daughter still uses the XZ-1 which I replaced a Sony RX100iii which I don't enjoy using as much.
They make nice compact cameras just a pity they stopped thevXZ series.

Is this a recent innovation? My wife has a Tough 4 [I think it is a 4].

.... Not too recent - I think the TG-6 was released in May 2019 and is an upgraded TG-5 which in turn was probably an upgraded TG-4 rather than a totally fresh ground-up design.

Some online reviews say that the TG-6 is a major upgrade from the TG-4. All I know is that the TG-6 is more than a bit good for a compact and a very valuable addition to my Olympus system. I have some more TG-6 images to post in due course but need to host them in Flickr first.

The lens cap is a very clever design - You just turn the outer ring and the diaphragm blades open. Olympus call it a Lens Barrier. The whole is removable for fitting other accessories.

TG-6 wet & muddy.jpg

Some do....... well this one does. Once learned, never forgotten. :clap:
I tend use MF and for the 12-40 the focus scale and aperture to get the dof I want.
My Panasonic 8-18mm is trickier I would like a focus scale in the viewfinder but I use MF.

Last edited:
the first one is very good looks so grumpy .
Rob.

First go at video with Olympus E-M1MarkIII with OLYMPUS M.60mm F2.8 Macro

I have some harvest mice and it seems two of them have young.

It looks like on mum was transfering them from the nest to a jam jar and another was tranfering them back again.

Never seen this behavior before - they were at it for two days.

Click on pic to see video

MOUSE 3 by Mike Killelea, on Flickr

Last edited:

It looks like on mum was transfering them from the nest to a jam jar and another was tranfering them back again.

MOUSE 3 by Mike Killelea, on Flickr

The video’s not working for me. I think you have to host elsewhere?

It sounds like a family dispute! I remember my cat moved her kittens a few times. Presumably it’s an instinctive thing due to fleas or predators. At one point she moved them into the paper shredder bin! On the first night they were born she moved them from the cupboard and tucked them behind my knees in my bed! I’d set up a camp bed to keep an eye on them for the first night.

Yep that’s the one

QUOTE[ killy said:

MOUSE 3
by Mike Killelea, on Flickr

It sounds like a family dispute! I remember my cat moved her kittens a few times. Presumably it’s an instinctive thing due to fleas or predators. At one point she moved them into the paper shredder bin! On the first night they were born she moved them from the cupboard and tucked them behind my knees in my bed! I’d set up a camp bed to keep an eye on them for the first night QUOTE]

Doesn't work on mobile, but I'm directed to Flickr on PC. Unable to insert/quote your full posting on my PC. Might be TP site issue?

Last edited:
Directs me to Flickr on an iPad but I can watch the video

QUOTE[ killy said:

MOUSE 3

It sounds like a family dispute! I remember my cat moved her kittens a few times. Presumably it’s an instinctive thing due to fleas or predators. At one point she moved them into the paper shredder bin! On the first night they were born she moved them from the cupboard and tucked them behind my knees in my bed! I’d set up a camp bed to keep an eye on them for the first night QUOTE]

Doesn't work on mobile, but I'm directed to Flickr on PC. Unable to insert/quote your full posting on my PC. Might be TP site issue?
Flickr video cannot be embedded into a forum thread (Any forum) as far as I can tell you only get a link.
The taptalk may not complete the link though

QUOTE[ killy said:

MOUSE 3

Looks like she's stashing the babies in the toilet jar!

Not too shabby Alf. I used the Siggy 105 when I had my Canon gear and it was a pretty darn fine lens, shame they dont make a m4/3 fit. ;)
This is an old 4/3 fit

Out for my exercise walk last weekend when I bumped into this fella I had the 60mm macro on the body no way could I social distance myself with a short lens! so I backed off swapped to the 300mm Pro and managed to get couple of shots before the adder slid into the undergrowth bit of a grab shot in the end would have loved to have got the picture with the adder with its tongue out but happy to get this one

_5011004-1234-1234.jpg by mazdaman2008, on Flickr

snake 1 by mazdaman2008, on Flickr

Last edited:
Out for my exercise walk last weekend when I bumped into this fella I had the 60mm macro on the body no way could I social distance myself with a short lens! so I backed off swapped to the 300mm Pro and managed to get couple of shots before the adder slid into the undergrowth bit of a grab shot in the end would have loved to have got the picture with the adder with its tongue out but happy to get this one

_5011004-1234-1234.jpg by mazdaman2008, on Flickr

snake 1 by mazdaman2008, on Flickr
Fabulous! For a minute I thought you were going to say you got it with the 60mm macro :eek: I've only ever seen an adder once when I ran over it on my bike. I went back and it had slithered off.

This is my thought too...or perhaps the way I’m thinking. I’d love the e-m1.2 but I think a 10.2 would suffice for most of what I shoot..

Pick one up for under £200 ( should never have sold the last one but hey ho ) add a 12-32 and a couple of primes and I’m all good

Chasing the tech....why? One from 2012 taken with the E-m5 and Panny 100-300. Not much different to what I can produce 8 years on. That's progress for you.

Hen Pheasant - Phasianus colchicus
by Ajophotog, on ipernity

Not as old but older generation camera

Olympus E-620 Sigma 105 lens and Nissin Di466 camera 2013
I am still using the lens and still have the flash

Spider 1 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

by 2014 I had moved onto the E-M1 which I have just replaced

Doli Fly-on-leaf-2 by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Back