Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Has anybody here had any experience of the Olympus 8-25 lens? I have read a number of reviews that are very positive and the lens range really appeals as it would cover a very large part of my usual usage. I have the 40-150 2.8 and 1.4x TC for longer use and 12-40 2.8 and would probably look to trade the 12-40 for the 8-25.

and the official line is (as quoted by Jeff @the black fox) ......

"We will inform you of the firmware release date at a later date, so please wait for a while.
We apologize for any inconvenience caused to customers using “OM SYSTEM OM-1”
.... I am told on usually reliable authority that the Firmware update is currently being worked on and "is expected to be available this month", which is May.

There were hints that it might include more than just bug fixes, probably improvement tweaks, but we'll wait and see.

Has anybody here had any experience of the Olympus 8-25 lens? I have read a number of reviews that are very positive and the lens range really appeals as it would cover a very large part of my usual usage. I have the 40-150 2.8 and 1.4x TC for longer use and 12-40 2.8 and would probably look to trade the 12-40 for the 8-25.
I bought one last month and took it for a wander round Imber on Easter Saturday. It does what you'd expect an Oly Pro lens with that range of focal lengths to do - it just delivers without fuss. Unfortunately the light was poor early in the day so there's not really anything that shows it off. I know @alfbranch has one as he's trying to sell his Pan 8-18mm so hopefully he'll pop up with something more to add.

Last edited:
Lovely piece of kit the 8-25. I am in Florence with just my 8-25 and an E-M1ii no bag tripod of filters. I am enjoying just a simple camera slung over my shoulder. Still getting used to extending the lens to use it but I am happy with it.

another rarity turned up locally today at RSPB Conway a Iberian wagtail . had to be found and photoed .not a easy task in its perfect camouflage colours looks like this is potentially a 1st recorded Spanish wagtail in wales .
iberian ? yellow wagtail by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Last edited:
Last edited:
As per the above mention of changes , I have been using it with these for a few weeks and my b.i.f hit rate has gone up so I know it works .
This is basically for users of the 1-mkii and mkiii maybe the 1X as well with the long lenses 300 mm or 100-400
So what have I changed first off I have assigned focus point changes to the i.s.o button so you can scroll through without taking your off the e.v.f ..
Next I have never been a lover of the 5/9/11 point etc focus Modes as I find them to hit and miss , but for b.i.f I find the all points cluster focus to be superb ,so I have un.ticked all focus points bar the two single ones and the cluster all points one . Makes scrolling from one to the other lightning fast . With only 3 options .
I have changed to high speed sequential at 15fps . As I seem to get more in focus with this as opposed to sequential low anti shock ?? No idea why as the latter is not supposed to fire if OOF ..
I don’t use BBF simply because I don’t like it so it’s two stage front button ,half press till the bird snaps into focus and follow it firing as you go . You will get some failures if focus locks on background or foreground objects first but as I said the majority hit rate is higher

Literally a quick point-n-shoot to grab the shot. I was in a field photographing trains and so my Subject Detection was set to Trains not Birds. I was also set C-AF [M] + TR high speed continuous autofocus tracking. Full Manual-mode as usual with predecided ISO. I always Back Button Focus. I am preferring my OM-1 to the E-M1X but badly want the battery grip to arrive! I am not fond of handling small camera bodies.

BUZZARD vs CROW by Robin Procter, on Flickr

Last edited:
Super set Justin , while the OM1 is the main talking point at the moment nether the 1-mkiii or the e m1x are out of the running .. still giving stunning performances if set up and used correctly

Super set Justin , while the OM1 is the main talking point at the moment nether the 1-mkiii or the e m1x are out of the running .. still giving stunning performances if set up and used correctly
.... :agree: All these cameras are just tools.

Thank you, I had absolutely no worries with the kit, only the user...... I had the Mk3 outside in appalling conditions with the 40-150mm f/2.8 on a remote trigger and then then E-M1X with the 300 f/4 or my PL200mm f/2.8 for perching shots. And forgive the pun it was like shooting fish in a barrel, having pro capture just simplifies the whole experience.

Have you done a bit of cloning on top of the head Jeff? looks a bit soft and munipulated there.
Yep tree trunk growing out of it

Not going to lie, I'm quite pleased with my Kingfisher session. Definitely one of my finer ideas to do a Test and Wow on an E-M1X and 300mm f/4.
View: https://flic.kr/p/2njsXzt

Kingfisher_0064 by Justyn Crane, on Flickr

Kingfisher_0295 by Justyn Crane, on Flickr

Kingfisher_1429-Edit by Justyn Crane, on Flickr
A lovely set especially the first two remoted triggered ones (I wondered seeing the EXIF until I read your other post ; ) )

PS are you able to say which hide session you were at???

Just a grab from the dog walk.
No crop, no noise reduction applied.
ISO 4000

Prowling along by Trevor, on Flickr
Thanks Alby. Thought it might be helpful to show something at higher ISO for evaluation. I think the trick is not to pixel peep. Viewed full screen on my laptop it holds up pretty well. Might print it A3 to see what it’s like.

Thanks Alby. Thought it might be helpful to show something at higher ISO for evaluation. I think the trick is not to pixel peep. Viewed full screen on my laptop it holds up pretty well. Might print it A3 to see what it’s like.
Printing always performs better than screen viewing, Looking forward to getting an om-1 once the supply problems settle down. I cancelled my original order from LCE as I couldn't wait any longer for a camera so got the E-m1 MK3 to fill the space for the moment, it performs pretty well at ISO 1600 like my old MK2 used to.

A lovely set especially the first two remoted triggered ones (I wondered seeing the EXIF until I read your other post ; ) )

PS are you able to say which hide session you were at???
I used Mike Dunlevy's hide near Market Drayton, I managed to time it exactly right for the time of year, chicks not quite fledged, we had 52 visits from the Kingfishers in 4 hours, compared to an average of 12/day/

couple of dipper shots at the local waterfalls taken using a nikon 300mm f4 lens in manual focus on the omd1-mkiii body . hand held using focus peaking . had to use this lens due to poor light levels there ,worked well though .
why use this lens a olympus 300mm f4 is around £2000 to buy this one with a faulty focus motor cost me £100 and gets the same results consistently
fall guy by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

watching by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Last edited:
couple of dipper shots at the local waterfalls taken using a nikon 300mm f4 lens in manual focus on the omd1-mkiii body . hand held using focus peaking . had to use this lens due to poor light levels there ,worked well though .
why use this lens a olympus 300mm f4 is around £2000 to buy this one with a faulty focus motor cost me £100 and gets the same results consistently
.... Well, there are in fact several reasons and real advantages in using the Olympus 300mm F/4 Pro on an Olympus/OM body rather than mounting even an optically excellent Nikon/Canon etc lens < Obviously with an adapter, Metabones being the best because they have less compromises on functionality.

But lets just say that you are a master at saving money and getting the results which please you rather than enter into a debate about it. :D :exit:

P.S. - I am a master at spending money! And that also includes other people's money. :D

Last edited:
New to the forum and new to M43 and Olympus. I've had an E M5 III for a few months and most of my shots have been about getting to know it and the two lenses I bought. And whilst I don't think I'm there yet, I'm finally getting on top of things. This was a sunset I took not long after getting the camera, so I knew then it was a capable camera I just needed to learn to use it and get the best from it.

New to the forum and new to M43 and Olympus. I've had an E M5 III for a few months and most of my shots have been about getting to know it and the two lenses I bought. And whilst I don't think I'm there yet, I'm finally getting on top of things. This was a sunset I took not long after getting the camera, so I knew then it was a capable camera I just needed to learn to use it and get the best from it.

.... I literally exclaimed "WOW!!!" out loud when I saw this picture. It's absolutely fabulous [not said in a Patsy of AbFab voice!]. :clap::clap::clap:

.... Well, there are in fact several reasons and real advantages in using the Olympus 300mm F/4 Pro on an Olympus/OM body rather than mounting even an optically excellent Nikon/Canon etc lens < Obviously with an adapter, Metabones being the best because they have less compromises on functionality.

But lets just say that you are a master at saving money and getting the results which please you rather than enter into a debate about it. :D :exit:

P.S. - I am a master at spending money! And that also includes other people's money. :D
Trust me Robin if I had the money I WOULD spend it .. these days it’s all under scrutiny by SWMBO if you wish to include me in your will though feel free

.... I literally exclaimed "WOW!!!" out loud when I saw this picture. It's absolutely fabulous [not said in a Patsy of AbFab voice!]. :clap::clap::clap:
Thank you. Fortunately it's just on my doorstep, West Kirby on the Wirral, so it wasn't too much effort to be in the right place at the right time and I know the area so I knew where I was going.

I haven't managed anything as good as that again yet but like I say, I've mostly been getting to know the camera, it's metering and exposure, the files and then of course the lenses. I normally spend a few months with a new lens so a whole system has been a bit overwhelming. Finally getting around to exploring some video now, that's a whole new world for me.

Thank you. Fortunately it's just on my doorstep, West Kirby on the Wirral, so it wasn't too much effort to be in the right place at the right time and I know the area so I knew where I was going.

I haven't managed anything as good as that again yet but like I say, I've mostly been getting to know the camera, it's metering and exposure, the files and then of course the lenses. I normally spend a few months with a new lens so a whole system has been a bit overwhelming. Finally getting around to exploring some video now, that's a whole new world for me.
and on my doorstep to , I live in flint but am usually up the wirral a couple of times a week birding . let me know if you want to meet up , etc .or need any help

Back