Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

The first E-M1X ended up going back to MPB before I had a chance to use it... Unfortunately, due to some major incompetence on the part of DPD, it's taken nearly a fortnight to get the replacement sorted but it finally arrived this morning. Usually when I get a new camera, it rains for a week solid but today was about as good as it could get. After a lot of deliberation, I decided to go for the Panasonic 100-400mm f/4.0-6.3 to put on it. Fortunately, the RSPB reserve at Ynys-Hir is only a 10 minute drive so I parked myself on the bench under the verandah of the visitor centre and waited to see what turned up. Back the other way to Aberystwyth beach this evening to see if the starlings were in the mood to dance. I've got a ton of configuring to do with the camera but first impressions of both the camera and the lens are very favourable. The lens isn't what I'm used to (I always used to use fast primes) but money's a bit tighter these days so this is something of a compromise but one I'm happy with thus far. :)

View attachment 374984

View attachment 374985

View attachment 374986

View attachment 374987
Hi Si, long time no speak, well not since that Skokholm trip when you had you room nicked off you (he was bang out of order)lol. So you’ve moved over to the world of micro 4/3 and a cracking start l might add. Looking forward to seeing more photos Matey.

Hi Si, long time no speak, well not since that Skokholm trip when you had you room nicked off you (he was bang out of order)lol. So you’ve moved over to the world of micro 4/3 and a cracking start l might add. Looking forward to seeing more photos Matey.
Hi Alby, It has been a while hasn't it? ;)

I remember it well... I haven't been back since although I've visited Skomer on a few occasions. I think Andy should organise another trip back there.

Not quite moved all the way to micro four-thirds... I'm still firmly in the Fuji camp but it's a case of picking the right tool for the right job. The E-M1X really caught my eye and with the current price of a second-hand one (compared to the launch price), it seemed like a good idea to me. I bought my little girl an old E-M10 MKI last year for her 9th birthday and she loves it with her little hands. :)

@Spiritflier - The first starling photo stands out for me because of the capture of motion and the oddity of seeing trees on a pier :) (y)
Hi Alan,

That's one of my favourites as well... They put the trees on the pier a few years ago. I'm not quite sure why but they're certainly unusual and they make a nice backdrop. :)

Hi Alan,

That's one of my favourites as well... They put the trees on the pier a few years ago. I'm not quite sure why but they're certainly unusual and they make a nice backdrop. :)
.... Might it be to try and reduce massive dumps of corrosive Starling poo on the pier's ironwork by luring them into roosting in the trees?

Hi Alby, It has been a while hasn't it? ;)

I remember it well... I haven't been back since although I've visited Skomer on a few occasions. I think Andy should organise another trip back there.

Not quite moved all the way to micro four-thirds... I'm still firmly in the Fuji camp but it's a case of picking the right tool for the right job. The E-M1X really caught my eye and with the current price of a second-hand one (compared to the launch price), it seemed like a good idea to me. I bought my little girl an old E-M10 MKI last year for her 9th birthday and she loves it with her little hands. :)
Yes it has been a while, lve been back quite a few times and could have been described as a regular up until covid hit.
I’ve been with m4/3 since 2011ish and it suits my photography fine for what l do. Good to see you are still clicking away. (y)

I note that with the battery grip on the OM1, one of the websites say it will take 1000 shots with two batteries in it. This surprises me as I recently took almost 4000 in one day with one battery and it wasn't even totally depleted by then. It was on SH1 or 2 I think, so many of them taken in bursts - which I'm sure would make a difference. Nonetheless it was impressive. I've now changed my settings for less fps.

So far I've not needed to change batteries whilst out. I have now ordered the double battery charger because I do find it a bit of a fiddle charging it in camera.

^^^ The colours on the forum version of this shot are completely different to how it looks on my computer screen. Anyone noticed such a thing before ?

I note that with the battery grip on the OM1, one of the websites say it will take 1000 shots with two batteries in it. This surprises me as I recently took almost 4000 in one day with one battery and it wasn't even totally depleted by then. It was on SH1 or 2 I think, so many of them taken in bursts - which I'm sure would make a difference. Nonetheless it was impressive. I've now changed my settings for less fps.

So far I've not needed to change batteries whilst out. I have now ordered the double battery charger because I do find it a bit of a fiddle charging it in camera.
.... Battery consumption will very much depend on an individual's shooting style and hence their particular choice of settings - Always on C-AF + Subject Detection, for example. When shooting continuous action and having the camera switched on all the time (as I do for surfers plus with looong high fps bursts). I could not possibly shoot as many as 4,000 RAW images on only one battery! Perhaps about 2,000 shots according to circumstances.

I really like the OM double battery charger and find its triple progress lights very useful.

Last edited:
.... Might it be to try and reduce massive dumps of corrosive Starling poo on the pier's ironwork by luring them into roosting in the trees?

Unlikely! The last thing they want is having the starlings actually on the pier. They can just about tolerate having them underneath it. :LOL: The trees have Christmas lights on them, all year round.

Last edited:
Hi folks, sorry to ask a basic question but do all the Olympus cameras have the live view or live composite ability?
Every Olympus body I've used since the E-PL5 supports it. I'm reasonably sure that all the Olympus m43 bodies support it.

Very strange! Flickr colours look lovely to me, and it’s a lovely shot.

Is it set to the same colour space in your downsizing settings? (Presuming you downsized it differently for here and it’s not the same actual file).
I downsized it to post here, but the file looks fine viewed on my PC (MacBook). I upload to Flickr at 4000px longest edge and Flickr generates a number of smaller sizes from that. I posted here the Flickr 1600px variant.

Last edited:
A very good concise appraisal by a normal unbiased user .. and although there are some obvious reasons to make me want one ,I’m still sat very much on the fence as I do so well with my mkiii .

A very good concise appraisal by a normal unbiased user .. and although there are some obvious reasons to make me want one ,I’m still sat very much on the fence as I do so well with my mkiii .
So long as you're getting the hit rate you need on the EM1.3, then there is really no compelling reason to upgrade. The IQ isn't really any better unless you're up at ISO 12800 and whilst it's slightly faster all round, the EM1.3 is no slouch and I think for most people is more than fast enough already. I also think the handling on the OM1 is worse than the EM1.3.

I took the E-M1X for a wander around Bwlch Nant-yr-arian yesterday afternoon with my daughters... It was bitterly cold so we didn't hang around for long but it gave me an opportunity to give the camera a good outing. The first heron picture was shot at 1/40th by accident - proof if any were needed that the image stabilisation works a treat! ;)

I'm definitely out of practice but I managed quite a few pictures that I'm happy with. Some perseverance and a few tweaks to the settings are needed but it's getting there. My favourite of the bunch is the starling shot... It's simple but effective. Unfortunately, as others have noted, posting the images directly into the forum definitely mutes the colours. I think I might have to start using Flickr again.

EM1X0355.jpg
EM1X0527.jpg
EM1X0560.jpg
EM1X0618.jpg
EM1X0756.jpg

Has anyone bought direct from OM Digital Solutions without issues etc, I believe they are based in Germany? I’m tempted to acquire the OM1 with the £175 cash back offer until the end of the month…….Christmas present to myself possibly
I know you can buy it from most ‘approved’ outlets and apply for the cash back, just thought I might give it a go direct!

Has anyone bought direct from OM Digital Solutions without issues etc, I believe they are based in Germany? I’m tempted to acquire the OM1 with the £175 cash back offer until the end of the month…….Christmas present to myself possibly
I know you can buy it from most ‘approved’ outlets and apply for the cash back, just thought I might give it a go direct!
I have more than once.

The process is good (only one time did I have cause to criticise but that was during the Brexit transition period & customs still getting sorted out)......but something to be aware of is that when you get an email saying the order has been processed [or similar initial phrasing?] It means it has been sent to the fulfilment warehouse operation and only once you get the tracking advice email do you know it actually 'on the way'.

Having said that you do once actually in the hands of the courier get very good tracking and I think the longest I had to wait, with the aforementioned exception, was one working week.

HTH:)

Last edited:
Yes. I got my OM1 from them when it was first released. Great service and fast delivery.

Wow. That’s a very big thumbs up to Great Western Cameras.
The description was ‘split from kit, no outer packaging’
Brand new retail packaging and matching serial numbers for £400.
Well packed as well

Attachments

• 8A2BC963-1467-4790-B03A-9A5A5580F2D9.jpeg
    8A2BC963-1467-4790-B03A-9A5A5580F2D9.jpeg
    87.3 KB · Views: 24
Back