Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Cheers alby not really intending to get into it today it was more testing out manual focus settings on the Nikon lens some worked some didn’t

nice shots . yes unfortunately topaz de-noise is needed for most wildlife shots but It works well and does the job

Took the camera on the dog walk today, first time possible in what seems for ever. wasn't over hopeful of catching anything but as we walked we were surrounded by literally dozens of birds, very flighty always keeping a good distance between us so it was difficult to get any decent shots.

bird by Steve Vickers, on Flickr

bird3 by Steve Vickers, on Flickr

bird2 by Steve Vickers, on Flickr

Excuse the poor quality, but they really wouldn't let me get anywhere near them. It was my intention of posting and then asking what bird because I didn't have a clue, but the first post I saw when I logged on was @the black fox Redwing :D So question answered.

Last edited:
Today I got an epl7, EZ 14-42 and 40-150mm, complimenting the em1 ii, 60mm macro and 45mm 1.8.

Holy smokes. The EZ kit lens is pretty darn decent - close focus, so small and light, metal mount and packs down tiny. Images seem sharp enough, autofocus is basically instant.

The epl7 is a pretty cheap camera nowadays - seems around £100 or so - but gets you a 16mp m43 camera in a tiny metal body that looks great with simplified controls and ibis. And it's great! White balance is nowhere near as good as the em1-ii but other than that, I have a wonderful street camera with a tiny little zoom. Might get the 17 1.8 next, or the Panasonic 20mm.

The real surprise, though, is the 40-150mm. What a great lens! Basically weightless, fast autofocus and incredibly good image quality - portraits show pores and lashes and tiny hairs on the em1-ii, even wide open at 150mm! Why is this lens so cheap?! And why, oh why, does it have a plastic mount? A metal mount would make it feel that little bit better...

Anyway, happy chappy. Hopefully will get more images in soon - but there are some real bargains in the m43 world!

Today I got an epl7, EZ 14-42 and 40-150mm, complimenting the em1 ii, 60mm macro and 45mm 1.8.

Holy smokes. The EZ kit lens is pretty darn decent - close focus, so small and light, metal mount and packs down tiny. Images seem sharp enough, autofocus is basically instant.

The epl7 is a pretty cheap camera nowadays - seems around £100 or so - but gets you a 16mp m43 camera in a tiny metal body that looks great with simplified controls and ibis. And it's great! White balance is nowhere near as good as the em1-ii but other than that, I have a wonderful street camera with a tiny little zoom. Might get the 17 1.8 next, or the Panasonic 20mm.

The real surprise, though, is the 40-150mm. What a great lens! Basically weightless, fast autofocus and incredibly good image quality - portraits show pores and lashes and tiny hairs on the em1-ii, even wide open at 150mm! Why is this lens so cheap?! And why, oh why, does it have a plastic mount? A metal mount would make it feel that little bit better...

Anyway, happy chappy. Hopefully will get more images in soon - but there are some real bargains in the m43 world!
I sold one of the 40-150’s on here recently and I am going to definitely get another one for my mid range lens on my em1. I think it is a great lens. I have shown it before, but this is from my old em10 in fading light and heavily cropped

Attachments

• CABA0718-3BB3-4FEC-A8E8-7DFB101EEB93.jpeg
    CABA0718-3BB3-4FEC-A8E8-7DFB101EEB93.jpeg
    127.5 KB · Views: 8
Took the camera on the dog walk today, first time possible in what seems for ever. wasn't over hopeful of catching anything but as we walked we were surrounded by literally dozens of birds, very flighty always keeping a good distance between us so it was difficult to get any decent shots.

bird by Steve Vickers, on Flickr

bird3 by Steve Vickers, on Flickr

bird2 by Steve Vickers, on Flickr

Excuse the poor quality, but they really wouldn't let me get anywhere near them. It was my intention of posting and then asking what bird because I didn't have a clue, but the first post I saw when I logged on was @the black fox Redwing :D So question answered.
last ones a fieldfare Steve . there usually spotted together

yet to find a bad m4/3 lens there all good ,even the older four thirds iterations

one from the golden hour today , just packing up as the sun set behind the welsh mountains and this starling came down for a drink on golden pond /puddle

liquid gold by jeff cohen, on Flickr

I appologise in advance but can't find how to get the EM1 mark 3 with the latest firmware to shoot in RAW - It's currently blanked out. I have read various online forums about switching off face detect and changing card settings etc but nothing has worked.

Got this by resetting all settings!!!
Even dumber question - how to set to electronic shutter mode (or is this the default?)

Last edited:
I appologise in advance but can't find how to get the EM1 mark 3 with the latest firmware to shoot in RAW - It's currently blanked out. I have read various online forums about switching off face detect and changing card settings etc but nothing has worked.
Is it set to one of the art filters, Hi-res or bracketing or something?

Edit: I've just had a look on my Em1iii and they all seem to set it to RAW + jpeg. I thought I remembered something changing to jpeg, but it may have been on the EM1ii.

Last edited:
I have just checked my m1 mk2 and its still on v1.1 of the firmware. Do I need to do any incremental upgrades or can I go straight onto say 3.2 ?

I have just checked my m1 mk2 and its still on v1.1 of the firmware. Do I need to do any incremental upgrades or can I go straight onto say 3.2 ?
Just messaged an Olympus rep on a FB group and he said it can go straight to the latest version

Got this by resetting all settings!!!
Even dumber question - how to set to electronic shutter mode (or is this the default?)
go to menu camera with 1 on it third line down shooting options set to RAW
THEN camera with no.2 anti shock or silent are your electronic modes .
or you can access them from the SCP under the focus box

if you have a lens fitted with a M/F switch /option it may be this causing the problem

Last edited:
Reactions: dkh
Handheld at 1/25s on a moving subject after dark, no flash, ISO 1600, Pro lens wide open at F/2.8, on OM-1 with Battery Grip (always helps physical handheld stability). RAW post-processing all done in ON1 2023, no other software needed. It's the first time I have shot in such circumstances and I am well pleased.

BLACK 5 OFF INTO THE NIGHT by Robin Procter, on Flickr

Last edited:
.... You'll find answers to such questions, and more, set out in the camera's Instruction Manual which can be downloaded from the OM website's support pages.

Out with the camera 2 days in a row a real treat after all the grey weather we've been having. Nice and bright today, although below 0c temp, Bit out of practice though, not entirely happy with these but thought I'd share anyway.

The ubiquitous robin

rrobin by Steve Vickers, on Flickr

A couple of dunnocks

dunnock2 by Steve Vickers, on Flickr

Colour on this one looks a little off, but he was stood in a patch of sunlight.

dunnock by Steve Vickers, on Flickr

Bluetit

blutit by Steve Vickers, on Flickr

Finally a redwing

redwing by Steve Vickers, on Flickr

Out with the camera 2 days in a row a real treat after all the grey weather we've been having. Nice and bright today, although below 0c temp, Bit out of practice though, not entirely happy with these but thought I'd share anyway.

The ubiquitous robin

rrobin by Steve Vickers, on Flickr

A couple of dunnocks

dunnock2 by Steve Vickers, on Flickr

Colour on this one looks a little off, but he was stood in a patch of sunlight.

dunnock by Steve Vickers, on Flickr

Bluetit

blutit by Steve Vickers, on Flickr

Finally a redwing

redwing by Steve Vickers, on Flickr
.... Those are nice and crisp images. In fact harsh sunlight is the worst to deal with in my opinion. The Robin and Blue Tit are my preferred photos.

.... Those are nice and crisp images. In fact harsh sunlight is the worst to deal with in my opinion. The Robin and Blue Tit are my preferred photos.
Thank you Robin. I agree the Robin and Blue Tit are the best of the bunch, the redwing is a little oof, which is a shame because photographing those I find quite a challenge.

Thank you Robin. I agree the Robin and Blue Tit are the best of the bunch, the redwing is a little oof, which is a shame because photographing those I find quite a challenge.
It’s not OOF Steve ,there’s a twig in front of its face that’s distorting the image , like seeing through a mesh fence .

It’s not OOF Steve ,there’s a twig in front of its face that’s distorting the image , like seeing through a mesh fence .
.... @jakeblu Steve, the trick is to temporarily preview in your viewfinder by manually changing focus to check what may be in front of your subject. This is where having Manual Focus override is very useful.

Last edited:

Interesting.. I’ve been thinking about a small body for travel and hadn’t remembered the EPL7, I’ve been thinking of the e-m10.2

off to do some research

Interesting.. I’ve been thinking about a small body for travel and hadn’t remembered the EPL7, I’ve been thinking of the e-m10.2

off to do some research
Only trouble is no EVF can be a problem in sunlight . .although I have one would prefer a 10-mkii

Only trouble is no EVF can be a problem in sunlight . .although I have one would prefer a 10-mkii

Exactly. It's a fine camera for snapping on days out, and very attractive. It's got the flippy screen as well. It's also much cheaper (from my experience) than the equivalent em10.

It's not perfect, though. The em1 mark ii gets white balance right every time, but the epl7 is a bit weird in led lighting. Fine otherwise, though. It's just a cute little camera that is incredibly affordable. Often seems to be sold with a couple of lenses as well.

Olympus do the VF series of viewfinders which will fit any Pen with the accessory port just below the hot shoe, from memory up to and including the EPL-8. These come with a pouch which fits on the strap like the accessory pouch. The screen will lift vertically, useful for low level shots. I use the VF-2 on my EPL-6, they turn up at the likes of LCE and MPB, expensive but the viewfinder can be fitted when really needed and left off to minimise the camera size at all other times.

Back