Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

I'm hoping it will still be quicker than waiting for MPB to sorting out getting the correct charger etc to me.

It's now plugged in and red light is showing :)
Well, after 2 hrs charging I've got 97% charge and the camera is working.

I found a table on DPreview that suggested it would take 2hrs 15mins for a full charge, so my experience seems about right.

Anyway, thanks for everyone's advice, very relieved it's actually working.

Well, after 2 hrs charging I've got 97% charge and the camera is working.

I found a table on DPreview that suggested it would take 2hrs 15mins for a full charge, so my experience seems about right.

Anyway, thanks for everyone's advice, very relieved it's actually working.
So glad to read this and sorry I hadn't spotted your issue earlier. I sold my EM1ii and the guy I sold it to accidentally customised it so that the lever became the power switch - it had us foxed and I offered him his money back ... and then he touched the lever and it sprang into action.

I would have expected that they set the camera back to factory settings when they check them, but you never know.

So glad to read this and sorry I hadn't spotted your issue earlier. I sold my EM1ii and the guy I sold it to accidentally customised it so that the lever became the power switch - it had us foxed and I offered him his money back ... and then he touched the lever and it sprang into action.

I would have expected that they set the camera back to factory settings when they check them, but you never know.
Thanks, this was obviously the post I remember, as I was flicking the lever between the two settings, but as you have read, it was in fact much simpler :)

I just need to work out how to use it now, I realise I have completely forgotten what I learned during my brief ownership of an EM5 Mk II. I never took to the EM5, but this EM1 already feels much better,

MPB checkers seem to know sweet F A about cameras and accessories , probably just part time students topping up there uni fees .. I bought a manfrotto tripod a few weeks ago ,good price it arrived a day late to( postage refunded ) but also came with a brand new tripod bag ( now sold on) and as a bonus a virtually as new video head worth around 3 times the price of the tripod .some you win some you lose

No snow in my neck of the woods and fortunately roads not icy when I travelled north to this new spot last Saturday. The railway line in this stretch runs due North and so the position of the sun is critical. Fortunately the 'Duchess', travelling north, was running about 40 minutes late and so the sunlight direction was okay.

I use an iPhone app called LumosPro (cost less than £4) which is very simple and easy to see sun position without having to do calculations like some other apps ....

DATE WITH A DUCHESS .... by Robin Procter, on Flickr

Image now chosen on Flickr Explore, which of course pleases me.

Sometimes a camera preview can look great and then disappoint when uploaded and viewed large at home but this one was the other way around - I had driven home feeling a bit disappointed.

Last edited:
No snow in my neck of the woods and fortunately roads not icy when I travelled north to this new spot last Saturday. The railway line in this stretch runs due North and so the position of the sun is critical. Fortunately the 'Duchess', travelling north, was running about 40 minutes late and so the sunlight direction was okay.

I use an iPhone app called LumosPro (less than £4) which is very simple and easy to see sun position without having to do calculations like some other apps.

DATE WITH A DUCHESS .... by Robin Procter, on Flickr

Image now chosen on Flickr Explore, which of course pleases me.

Sometimes a camera preview can look great and then disappoint when uploaded and viewed large at home but this one was the other way around - I had driven home feeling a bit disappointed.
Fantastic shot well done. And a beautiful head of steam too.

MPB checkers seem to know sweet F A about cameras and accessories , probably just part time students topping up there uni fees .. I bought a manfrotto tripod a few weeks ago ,good price it arrived a day late to( postage refunded ) but also came with a brand new tripod bag ( now sold on) and as a bonus a virtually as new video head worth around 3 times the price of the tripod .some you win some you lose
I’ve never paid MPB for delivery. I always select the free “no hurry” option and 90% of the time DPD have delivered it next day anyway, and never with more than a days delay.

This has now been chosen as “explore” on Flickr by some strange algorithm
.... I rather like it. I find it crisp and not "miserable" looking as you describe it.

Photographers have tried to work out how Flickr selects its Explore images for a few years but no-one actually knows and it's speculation.

The good aspect of Explore is that it increases awareness of your work and consequently more Likes and I don't think we should try and deny that a large number of Likes strokes our ego and gives us the encouragement we often need.

.... I rather like it. I find it crisp and not "miserable" looking as you describe it.

Photographers have tried to work out how Flickr selects its Explore images for a few years but no-one actually knows and it's speculation.

The good aspect of Explore is that it increases awareness of your work and consequently more Likes and I don't think we should try and deny that a large number of Likes strokes our ego and gives us the encouragement we often need.
Thanks. The day was miserable, but I don’t tire of this view, despite seeing it almost every day. You can almost see our house - hidden by the trees.

This has now been chosen as “explore” on Flickr by some strange algorithm

I have had a shot on Explore in most months for the last 2 years.

Last edited:
Fantastic shot well done. And a beautiful head of steam too.
.... Cheers James! The cold winter air tends to help the steam exhaust appearance.

The 'Duchess of Sutherland' is quite an engine - She covered over 1,650,000 miles in regular express train service between 1938 and 1964 and she now regularly works on the mainline on special tours.

You will probably have already read one of my posts which describes how I first saw (and heard!) her at very high speed over 60 years ago. I am a bit of a Duchess 6233 groupie and track her movements so I can photograph her if it's practical for me. My ambition is to one day get a panned shot of her but all the stars have to align such as location, time of day, and light.

Not surprised, given the quality of your landscapes

It's not all landscape photos and it can be surprising what gets on. My explore album is here.

I am looking from 1 longer zoom for my M1. I am covered up to 150mm and it will really only be occasionally used if I need that extra reach.

Is there any point looking at anything else other than the Oylmpus 75-300 4.8-6.7 for occasional use ?

I am looking from 1 longer zoom for my M1. I am covered up to 150mm and it will really only be occasionally used if I need that extra reach.

Is there any point looking at anything else other than the Oylmpus 75-300 4.8-6.7 for occasional use ?

Hi, I have got the Panasonic 100-300mm and it is fantastic for what I need.
I must admit I keep looking at the 100-400 now but it seems a lot for the extra 100mm.

Hi, I have got the Panasonic 100-300mm and it is fantastic for what I need.
I must admit I keep looking at the 100-400 now but it seems a lot for the extra 100mm.
Thats what I thought its about double the price to get a 100-400. If I go for the 75-300, I might even have some left for a prime as well

Thats what I thought its about double the price to get a 100-400. If I go for the 75-300, I might even have some left for a prime as well
Good point, I’ve no experience of that lens but I asked on here myself for recommendations between the two lenses and some of the images being shown with the Olympus were excellent.

if you can find one at the right price a four thirds 50-200 F2.8 plus mmf-2 adaptor would be more than adequate . they can be found at the right price if your lucky and under the price of a 75-300 plus they will also take a EC-14 tc giving more reach;;;; worth looking as these still are classed as a pro lens

Last edited:
Good point, I’ve no experience of that lens but I asked on here myself for recommendations between the two lenses and some of the images being shown with the Olympus were excellent.
I can't speak to the Olympus but I do have the Panasonic 100-400 on my E-M1X and I'm really happy with it. I got mine from MPB for a good price so it's definitely worth looking on their site. :)

Hi all, I’m hoping you can help I’m trying to google and see which Olympus cameras have the option for train plane and vehicle tracking built in?
It’s coming up with the om1 but I was sure there were other Olympus cameras that had this built in.
Many thanks.

Hi all, I’m hoping you can help I’m trying to google and see which Olympus cameras have the option for train plane and vehicle tracking built in?
It’s coming up with the om1 but I was sure there were other Olympus cameras that had this built in.
Many thanks.
E-M1X has the train recognition, not sure about planes and vehicles though.
Latest Fuji X-T5 does too, are these things really necessary?
That is a genuine question rather than a dig.

E-M1X has the train recognition, not sure about planes and vehicles though.
Latest Fuji X-T5 does too, are these things really necessary?
That is a genuine question rather than a dig.
I don’t know to be honest. My issue is I’m currently using an Olympus om 10 mk3 and the focus isn’t brilliant for me.
I shoot a lot of trains and wildlife with a fair bit of cars at Santa pod etc and I guess I was hoping for an improvement in the focus with the live tracking ability.
I’d love to move over to Fuji but currently have a fair few Panasonic lenses so would like to stick with Olympus if your able to mention a camera with better focus?

the 1-mkiii is selling at silly prices these days new or used . no it doesn't have the tracking built in but I have absolutely no problem with A/F on birds in flight /trains etc or anything that moves and thats with the 100-400 f6.3 lens plenty of photos both on here or my flickr stream to back that statement up ..

the 1-mkiii is selling at silly prices these days new or used . no it doesn't have the tracking built in but I have absolutely no problem with A/F on birds in flight /trains etc or anything that moves and thats with the 100-400 f6.3 lens plenty of photos both on here or my flickr stream to back that statement up ..
That’s great to know your using the same camera, I’ve seen lots of your photos on here and they are fantastic.
Maybe it is user error on my part lol.

That’s great to know your using the same camera, I’ve seen lots of your photos on here and they are fantastic.
Maybe it is user error on my part lol.
I’ve not used an EM10iii, but I think it’s highly likely that an EM1ii or EM1iii would be a big step up in terms of its ability to focus with fast moving objects.
(You’re not using the same camera as The Black Fox if you’re using an EM10iii …. Well he might have one of those as well, possibly!.)

I’ve not used an EM10iii, but I think it’s highly likely that an EM1ii or EM1iii would be a big step up in terms of its ability to focus with fast moving objects.
(You’re not using the same camera as The Black Fox if you’re using an EM10iii …. Well he might have one of those as well, possibly!.)
Not any more .. but I had thev 10-mkii . Now just down to 1-mkiii … E 620 … and EP5 plus lots of lenses that rarely get used

Thank you for your help I’m getting confused with all the different em1 om10 etc Olympus cameras out there.
So if you were to start again could I have some recommendations on the best m4/3 camera to get for much improved focus for wildlife etc please. I have to admit I get on really well with the control dials for aperture etc on the em10 mk3 so if I could still have those that would be great.
Many thanks.

Without going to the OM-1, the E-M1 iii is the best choice. The control layout is very similar to the E-M10 so shouldn't be a problem but the difference in performance on moving subjects will be dramatic. As Jeff said, there are loads of used ones at very good prices as people who could afford it flocked to the OM-1; new ones have all but disappeared now.

The fastest would would be the new OM1 but that’s around £2000 the next one down is the omd.em.1-mkiii which is half that new or you could go used to lower the price further , or even a used 1-mkii … all 3 will give far faster AF than your current model .but none will give improved focus .
That’s down to either the lenses or the camera menu systems not being set up correctly .

I would keep your eyes on the usual places for selling after xmas as the OM1 will be on a lot of wish lists ..including mine

Last edited:
Back