Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

These are extremely good.
Are you preferring the 300mm to the 100-400 that you sold?
Yes definetly just didn’t realise how sharp this lens was . The bees were taken using a 1.4 t.c so outreaching the 100-400 anyway
And just aquired a 2x tc as well .no apparent loss of i.q with either t.c

Hi all, long time Nikon user here, shooting mainly landscape and a bit of wildlife and macro. Loving the shots on this thread :)

I've just ordered a OM-1, 7-14mm f2.8 pro and 12-100mm f4 pro. Eagerly awaiting delivery!

Any recommendations for a battery charger? I notice the Olympus (or whatever they're called now!) one is a bit on the pricey side.

And also, any L brackets that fit this camera out there?

Last edited:
Hi all, long time Nikon user here, shooting mainly landscape and a bit of wildlife and macro. Loving the shots on this thread :)

I've just ordered a OM-1, 7-14mm f2.8 pro and 12-100mm f4 pro. Eagerly awaiting delivery!

Any recommendations for a battery charger? I notice the Olympus (or whatever they're called now!) one is a bit on the pricey side.

If you want to use filters I recommend tge 8-25mm f4. It is a superb lens BTW.

All my photos have been on Olympus.

Last edited:

Ref L Brackets Nisi do one that is very good for the money 4 variants available think it's the S(G) one

Ref the 7-14 lens fixing filters is a bit of a faff if you use them

Welcome to the OM club

Ref L Brackets Nisi do one that is very good for the money 4 variants available think it's the S(G) one

Ref the 7-14 lens fixing filters is a bit of a faff if you use them

Welcome to the OM club

Thanks Terry, I use Lee filters and have ordered their adaptor ring for the 7-14mm, so shouldn't have any issues I hope :)

I know some people will only use the OEM battery and charger but I have used the following:

I find it works fine with original battery and non OLY batteries.

Welcome to the OM club and enjoy!

Hey Dave you are one person I didn't think would ever leave the Nikon clan. The OM/Olympus is a great system and I used it for many years as you know. I just got rid of my Om-1 and lenses due to not being as active as I once was. Im using the Sony rx10 iv now with the rx100 vii and panasonic fz2000 which is more than I really need these days. Enjoy the new system. ;)

only a black headed gull shot BUT taken handheld with the 300mm f4 + 2x tc so equivalent to 1200mm focal length in FF terms .quiet pleased with the result and all other shots in the burst have equal iq
twiggy by jeff cohen, on Flickr

Hey Dave you are one person I didn't think would ever leave the Nikon clan. The OM/Olympus is a great system and I used it for many years as you know. I just got rid of my Om-1 and lenses due to not being as active as I once was. Im using the Sony rx10 iv now with the rx100 vii and panasonic fz2000 which is more than I really need these days. Enjoy the new system. ;)
Hey Alby, great to hear from you mate. Hope you're well. :)
Yes, I'm as surprised at myself as you, but getting older now and I just find myself not wanting to take the Nikon gear out on walks etc due to the weight, as good a system as it is. Even the mirrorless bodies don't make much difference as the lenses are still the same size (or bigger).
I'm really looking forward to trying the OM system :)

I know some people will only use the OEM battery and charger but I have used the following:

I find it works fine with original battery and non OLY batteries.

Welcome to the OM club and enjoy!
Thanks John, I'll take a look at that (y)

Does anyone know of a good bag (backpack , holster, sling etc) that would fit just the 300mm. I like to travel as light as possible but now I have the 90mm if that’s on the body I need a bag I can stuff a 300mm into to carry it.

I’ve got two backpacks a large crumpler that takes loads of gear and a cheapo Chinese one off of e.bay or Amazon .. good enough for to carry just the few spares and only around £15 .. does exactly the same job as £150 backpacks

I’ve got two backpacks a large crumpler that takes loads of gear and a cheapo Chinese one off of e.bay or Amazon .. good enough for to carry just the few spares and only around £15 .. does exactly the same job as £150 backpacks
Yeah Ive got 3 bags but I just want a much much smaller one for just one lens. Ill check out aliexpress then :)

Is there an L plate solution out there for the OM-1 and battery grip?
I do have a couple of 3 legged l plates that kind work, but looking for something a little more bespoke.

To ends of the price spectrum Chris

Or

Options do seem limited I do have a three legged thing version but does restrict opening the rear panel a little Nisi seems to offer full swivel motion

Flying Scotsman came to Somerset om1 with the 40-150 always good to see a well loved steam engine reduced file size but the original raw has promise
.... That's a very nice shot! My 40-150mm F/2.8 Pro is my go-to lens for nearly all my railway photography unless at a station, then it's the 12-40mm F/2.8 Pro - Both all weather lenses.

Yes definetly just didn’t realise how sharp this lens was . The bees were taken using a 1.4 t.c so outreaching the 100-400 anyway
And just aquired a 2x tc as well .no apparent loss of i.q with either t.c
.... :D Now I can say that although the 100-400mm served a purpose quite well it just doesn't compare with the 300mm F/4 Pro! It's only advantage was being zoom. It was my least favourite of all lenses I have owned!

To ends of the price spectrum Chris

Or

Options do seem limited I do have a three legged thing version but does restrict opening the rear panel a little Nisi seems to offer full swivel motion
But neither will fit with the battery grip attached - which is what I'm after.
Doesn't appear to be a solution out there.

I wonder if someone can help me please?
I have had an Olympus EM5 MK3 for several months now, and I’m very happy with it. I am using it mostly with the 40-150 f2.8 with the 2x converter, and have been very pleased with the results.
However, over the last few days instead of being able to change exposure compensation using the front dial, this action randomly either changes the size of the focus point or position of the focus point.
Yesterday we watched a Hobby catching insects whilst amongst half a dozen Terns. My husband got some stunning shots, but because I couldn’t change EC to suit the background, nor could I keep the focus area the right size or in the right position, I only got 2 heavily PP recognisable shots.
I’d be really grateful if somebody could point me in the right direction to put this right
Many thanks
Marcia

@wellyboot Could it be the switch on the back that goes from 1 to 2 has been inadvertently moved?

Last edited:
Thank you Stephen and Rich, I’ll check that out, but it isn’t a consistent change. When I started out this morning Exposure Compensation worked as it should, then half way through our walk, it just reverted to messing with the focus points.
I’ll see how easy that switch is to move.
Thank you again

Back