Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Last edited:
Why ISO 80?
Is the native ISO lower than 200 on the OM1?
.... The most beneficiary ISO option recommended by OMDS is ISO 200 but ISO 80 can be useful in balancing the holy trinity (Shutter + Aperture + ISO) sometimes. I shoot fully Manual and so this can come into play. For example, panning moving trains in harsh sunlight.

This example is shot on ISO 80 :

'BRITANNIA' IN ACTION! by Robin Procter, on Flickr

Last edited:
Some advice please. After watching Andy Rouse praising the digital converter on the OM1 I decided to give it a try. I set my card to record Raw and LSF jpeg and took shots of a pigeon. On the back of the camera I could see enlarged images when the converter was on but when I downloaded them to my laptop only the un enlarged pictures were visible. I presume this is the Raw version and the Jpegs are not showing. The same amount of images on the back of the screen were showing on the laptop but not the enlarged Jpegs. What am I doing wrong?

Oh what a great response D40 Guy! I have now checked LR to show Jpg alongside raw and the world has suddenly become a better place! I had better inform the OM tech help who haven't worked that one out yet.

Many thanks

My advice is to download your card's contents to a folder on your desktop/laptop computer.

Then view the contents of that folder in OM Workspace together with all the extremely useful data/info which only OM Workspace will display.

Then select/cull and *Move into your RAW editor (ON1 2023 in my case) and edit as you wish.

* Important to Move, not Export, so that OM Workspace does not convert the RAW files.

Well today is om problem day for me. While trying to sort out the Jpg problem (now sorted thanks) I was going to replicate the settings on my second OM1. However when I turned it on it made a sound, probably the IS, the screen lit up but was unresponsive and after around 4 seconds shut down. I have removed the battery a few times but the fault remains. Before I contact OM support does anyone have any ideas?

Well today is om problem day for me. While trying to sort out the Jpg problem (now sorted thanks) I was going to replicate the settings on my second OM1. However when I turned it on it made a sound, probably the IS, the screen lit up but was unresponsive and after around 4 seconds shut down. I have removed the battery a few times but the fault remains. Before I contact OM support does anyone have any ideas?
I had mine fail at the end of May, was out shooting and briefly saw a red battery warning symbol saying 'battery empty' flash up in the viewfinder and the camera switched off.
I had only taken a few shots on a full battery so knew it actually wasn't empty. Tried another battery/powering from my pc/different lenses/storage cards etc and no good.
Sent it back under warranty and they replaced a power board. Good thing was the turnaround time was 12 days so cannot fault them really.
Not sure if yours is a similar issue but thought I might just mention it just in case.
Hope you get it sorted quickly.

Paul.

What was the outcome with the 2x digi tc .are the results only shown in jpg files and not in the raw files .. as I only shoot raw

I have only had a quick play with the digital converter but it was better than expectedand very acceptable on the static pigeons. It does give a jpg output but also takes a non enlarged RAW. The file size is the same as the raw. I think it will probably be a useful addition and will assign a button to it - its there, free and takes very little space on the card, what's not to like!

Had a trip out mid week at my favourite Kingfisher spot weather was a kind of stay indoors day so tried my hand a bit of pseudo macro work with the Olympus 150-400 this lens just keeps on surprising me and yes no Kingfishers!

Life in the slow lane

A fly guy

Hi Ya Mate

I am just trying to set my OM1 up to give quicker access to features.
Apart from taking up a custom function is there a button/shortcut to switch from bird recognition to cat/mamal tracking?

I am just trying to set my OM1 up to give quicker access to features.
Apart from taking up a custom function is there a button/shortcut to switch from bird recognition to cat/mamal tracking?
I have set one of my front buttons to switch the subject detection on and off. If you hold it down and then move the front dial, you can scroll through all of the options including turning it off.

After some thoughts from those that know better than me...

I'm contemplating rationalising my camera gear and trading my current Fuji X-S20 and a couple of lenses plus a Panasonic LUMIX FZ2000 bridge for single system. I've looked at a number of options including getting a Sony RX10 iv (and sought some advice in the relevant Talk Photography forum), but I want to keep things relatively compact and the RX10 is a bit of a beast - heavier than my FZ2000 (and still expensive everywhere).

After much research and deliberating I'm now leaning towards an EM-5 mk iii, initially with either the:
  • Olympus 12-40 f2.8 Pro
  • Olympus 12-45 f4 Pro
  • Olympus 12-200 f3.5-6.3 12.
I like the idea of weather sealing (neither of the Fuji or Panny are weather sealed and whilst I'm less cautious with the Panny, I rarely take my Fuji out if weather looks anything but dry and generally avoid taking the Panny as well when rain is about.

Any of the above lenses will offer more flexibility in reach than my Fuji 18-55 as a walk around lens, and the 12-200 will better my Fuji 50-230 (although that requires me to swap lenses which the 12-200 wouldn't. With a M4/3 sensor sitting between the 1" Panny and the ASPC Fuji, both of which taken nice enough images I think I'd be more than happy with IQ, especially looking at the images you folks post here.

Although my photography is pretty broad based I do like taking wildlife shots, although it tends to be as I come across it when out and about rather than a dedicated plan going out looking for wildlife, so the 12-200 appeals knowing it'll give me up to 400 (equiv) at the long end, but I've read that it gets quite soft there. However initially my preference would be for one of the two shorter zooms and I'm interested to hear if whether despite both being "Pro" lenses, whether the 12-40 is significantly worth the additional outlay.

A final throw away is that I've never owned any Olympus (or any M4/3) gear before. I came within a gnats whisker of getting a Panasonic G80 before I bought the Fuji, but was probably swayed by the lure of a bigger sensor and more megapixels. I held an Em-5 mk iii in a shop today with a 12-200 attached and it looked and felt pretty nice. Whilst the FujiX-S10 is similar in size, and delivers very nice images, I can't say it gives me a whole lot of enjoyment in using it.

Of course this all might be a combination of GAS/"the grass is greener" syndrome :LOL:, is I won't be offended it you tell me so....

Thanks

Does anyone in the UK own the OM Systems 90mm macro? If so, was it purchased in the UK? Most UK sites say that it is available to pre-order (as opposed to being out of stock). However it
looks as though it was released in Feb this year?

Last edited:
Has anyone in the UK got the OM Systems 90mm macro? Most UK sites say that it is available to pre-order (as opposed to being out of stock). However itt looks as though it was released in Feb this year?

Do you mean?

Do I own one?
Answer yes

Dicyrtomina saundersi by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Does any shop have one in stock?
Maybe not new

Last edited:
Do you mean?

Do I own one?
Answer yes

Dicyrtomina saundersi by Alf Branch, on Flickr

Does any shop have one in stock?
Maybe not new

That’s correct. My question was: Are they available to purchase in the UK at this time?

It’s odd that most UK web stores say that they are only available for pre-order, so I would guess not.

Where did you get yours, if you don’t mind me asking?

Last edited:
There's a few guys on the Olympus Facebook group that have them, https://www.facebook.com/groups/336135023136969
Phil Hadley takes some fantastic images with his set up
Ok thanks. Yes, I saw his wasp image taken with the 90mm macro. Incredible shot.

This is what prompted my question really. There appears to be lots of people posting images taken with them, but none available to buy new in the UK.

Last edited:
That’s correct. My question was: Are they available to purchase in the UK at this time?

It’s odd that most UK we stores say that they are only available for pre-order, so I would guess not.

Where did you get yours, if you don’t mind me asking?

Demand is outstripping supply

I'm contemplating rationalising my camera gear and trading my current Fuji X-S20 and a couple of lenses plus a Panasonic LUMIX FZ2000 bridge for single system. I've looked at a number of options including getting a Sony RX10 iv (and sought some advice in the relevant Talk Photography forum), but I want to keep things relatively compact and the RX10 is a bit of a beast - heavier than my FZ2000 (and still expensive everywhere).

After much research and deliberating I'm now leaning towards an EM-5 mk iii, initially with either the:
  • Olympus 12-40 f2.8 Pro
  • Olympus 12-45 f4 Pro
I like the idea of weather sealing (neither of the Fuji or Panny are weather sealed and whilst I'm less cautious with the Panny, I rarely take my Fuji out if weather looks anything but dry and generally avoid taking the Panny as well when rain is about.

Any of the above lenses will offer more flexibility in reach than my Fuji 18-55 as a walk around lens, and the 12-200 will better my Fuji 50-230 (although that requires me to swap lenses which the 12-200 wouldn't. With a M4/3 sensor sitting between the 1" Panny and the ASPC Fuji, both of which taken nice enough images I think I'd be more than happy with IQ, especially looking at the images you folks post here.

Although my photography is pretty broad based I do like taking wildlife shots, although it tends to be as I come across it when out and about rather than a dedicated plan going out looking for wildlife, so the 12-200 appeals knowing it'll give me up to 400 (equiv) at the long end, but I've read that it gets quite soft there. However initially my preference would be for one of the two shorter zooms and I'm interested to hear if whether despite both being "Pro" lenses, whether the 12-40 is significantly worth the additional outlay.

A final throw away is that I've never owned any Olympus (or any M4/3) gear before. I came within a gnats whisker of getting a Panasonic G80 before I bought the Fuji, but was probably swayed by the lure of a bigger sensor and more megapixels. I held an Em-5 mk iii in a shop today with a 12-200 attached and it looked and felt pretty nice. Whilst the FujiX-S10 is similar in size, and delivers very nice images, I can't say it gives me a whole lot of enjoyment in using it.

Of course this all might be a combination of GAS/"the grass is greener" syndrome :LOL:, is I won't be offended it you tell me so....

Thanks

Is smaller size/weight a key factor
It depends on how much the AF matters too as a 40-150 f2.8 and MC14 will be better than the 12-200 but not as portable.
I have shot m4/3 since 2014 and I am happy with my images.

View: https://youtu.be/HEGHditkoY0

View: https://youtu.be/QumqmhJIrYc

Last edited:
Ok thanks. Yes, I saw his wasp image taken with the 90mm macro. Incredible shot.

This is what prompted my question really. There appears to be lots of people posting images taken with them, but none available to buy new in the UK.
I have just bought one from Panamoz at a cracking price (but it was bought with two other higher value items).

• Olympus 12-40 f2.8 Pro
  • Olympus 12-45 f4 Pro

Thanks
I've 'rationalised' down to a couple of µ43 bodies and a handful of lenses. I usually lug around an OM-5 and 12-100mm which is an ungainly lump but the combo is slightly lighter than the RX10 IV I was carrying before.
The 12-40mm f2.8 is worth it if you need the extra stop otherwise the 12-45mm f4 is a better choice as it's lighter, cheaper and optically excellent. An alternative option is the Panasonic Leica 12-60mm f2.8-4. You lose the weather-sealing but it's a good compromise on focal length and weight.

Asking what's available in the sales section is usually fruitful but, if you don't want to buy s/h, a good source of 'open-box' Olympus is Great Western Cameras in Swindon. They have an eBay shop but I've had some excellent deals in the physical shop. https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_...store_name=greatwesterncameras&_sop=16&_oac=1

• Olympus 12-40 f2.8 Pro
  • Olympus 12-45 f4 Pro

Thanks
.... There is no doubt that both the Fuji and Sony systems are excellent quality, especially full-frame. But Olympus/OMD PRO range (must be PRO) have weathersealing second to none with international IP53(?) certification. I do all my photography outdoors regardless of weather and this ability is very enabling. After a surfer session I usually rinse my OM PRO gear under a gentle shower at home/hotel afterwards and have done so for several years (since 2019).

RUSHING THROUGH THE HEAVY RAIN by Robin Procter, on Flickr

HAVING FUN! by Robin Procter, on Flickr

WET WEATHERPROOFING by Robin Procter, on Flickr

Had a trip out mid week at my favourite Kingfisher spot weather was a kind of stay indoors day so tried my hand a bit of pseudo macro work with the Olympus 150-400 this lens just keeps on surprising me and yes no Kingfishers!

Life in the slow lane

A fly guy

Hi Ya Mate

.... I am loving your term "pseudo macro work" :D . I call it close-up work but our terms mean the same.

Like you, the 150-400mm TC Pro never ceases to amaze me! It's no wonder that demand outstrips supply.

The 40-150mm F/2.8 Pro + MC-20 is also very impressive for pseudo macro work.

Last edited:

• Olympus 12-40 f2.8 Pro
  • Olympus 12-45 f4 Pro

Thanks
I don't believe the Olympus 12-200 f3.5-6.3 12 is weather sealed

I don't believe the Olympus 12-200 f3.5-6.3 12 is weather sealed
.... I have never owned or even handled one but I think it will have some weather sealing but just not to the same high standard of the OM PRO range.

12-200mm is a very useful range but its limited weather sealing and also barrel extending zoom really put me off. I didn't like my 100-400mm OM lens for the same reasons in spite of it offering good image quality.

Last edited:

• Olympus 12-40 f2.8 Pro
  • Olympus 12-45 f4 Pro

Thanks
Unless you need to go very long, or wide apertures, I would recommend the 12-45 f4 Pro and the 45-150 f4 Pro. Gives you a reasonable reach with (relatively) minimal weight, and top-class weather resistance. Only consider the 12-40 f2.8 if you really need f2.8 as it's a heavier lens, shorter maximum focal length, and questionable extra IQ.

Back