Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Super start a friend of mine mentioned that inversion layer to

Reactions: nog
I picked up my 150-400 today from LCE but only got the 6 month extended warranty. Can I ask who the email was from please?
Apologies I have been doing a lot of travelling and have only just come back here. The email was from OM. The promotion is still active as long as you register before 15th October - you get a free converter too.

Morning all,

A couple of months ago I was asking about Olympus kit to replace my Canon EF gear. I bought an E-M10III with 17mm, 25mm and 45mm primes to see how I would get on as it wasn't too much financial outlay if I didn't like it.

I have thoroughly enjoyed it since and its a joy throwing everything in a small sling rather than lugging about a camera rucksack on general days out.

I am not ready to totally move on from Canon (yet!) but I am selling all of my "general" kit (16-35, 24-70, 70-200) and keeping my "wildlife" kit - 100-400mm and 500mm f4. I'm selling my 2 bodies (1DXII and RP) and buying an R7.

This will give me E-M10III with 17, 25, 45mm and then R7 with 100-400 and 500mm

My plan is to upgrade the E-M10 to an OM-5 in the new year because there are things I'd like to have more to hand eg bracketing and I like the sound of the built in ND filters.

I am probably going to buy a 12-45 f4 Pro to use for family stuff with some of the proceeds of the sale of the Canon gear. We have my Dad's 70th in November and then Christmas with 2 young nephews so I think the 12-45 would be more useful for that than my primes. I will probably add one of the 40-150 Pro lenses too (I have a cheap 40-150 from many moons ago when I first tried m43 with an E-PL2)

My question is what to do about flash? Can anyone recommend one? It won't be getting used much, just for things like the boys opening Christmas presents etc.

Thanks for all your help and patience,

Neil
I'm catching up on this thread having been away. I have had my foot in the Canon camp too and have only just sold my long Canon lenses to buy the big white OM lens.

I just thought I would mention that on the R7 you lose quite a few of the dedicated buttons. Maybe you've already tried one and are happy with that. I think the RP was a little limited anyway.

I have used the 600ex rt Canon flash off camera on my EM1iii and OM1 using the Canon Godox trigger ( and receiver for the Canon 430ex) - it works but not ETTL. On camera I use the tiny Olympus flash which I have found fine for family events.

Not for flash, but the wired Canon remote shutter trigger works on OM cameras too. (The Canon single jack remote and not the multi pin one).

Edit: Actually I think I needed the Godox receiver for the off camera 600ex rt too - it's been a while!

Last edited:
Thanks for taking the time to reply (again). I tried the R7 in the summer on a 48 hour test drive and got on with it. The only thing that I struggled with slightly is what you are finding with the 150-400 - not used to the tighter crop yet with the longer glass on the R7. I know in time I will though because I shot APS-C then APS-H and then Full Frame and got used to it each time.

I've picked up a 12-45 f4 for general family stuff so just need to grab a flashgun and I'm all good for now then in the spring probably get an OM-5 and 40-150

The lens hood on my 40-150mm fell to pieces on my recent trip to Botswana (yes I made it there and had a truly wonderful time). I've had it for years with no issues and I wonder whether the 40 degree heat had an effect as it appeared that the outer ring was glued. I managed to sellotape it together so it worked for the holiday, but I will struggle to attach it again I think. If I remember rightly, people bought a third party hood. Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

I will post a few photos eventually, but I am still busy culling and organising them. They will not be of the same high standard as @Fordsabroad :) My camera reset itself somehow on the first day too - so no capture time and an old date - quite bizarre.

The lens hood on my 40-150mm fell to pieces on my recent trip to Botswana (yes I made it there and had a truly wonderful time). I've had it for years with no issues and I wonder whether the 40 degree heat had an effect as it appeared that the outer ring was glued. I managed to sellotape it together so it worked for the holiday, but I will struggle to attach it again I think. If I remember rightly, people bought a third party hood. Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

I will post a few photos eventually, but I am still busy culling and organising them. They will not be of the same high standard as @Fordsabroad :) My camera reset itself somehow on the first day too - so no capture time and an old date - quite bizarre.
Hi Bebop
I had the same issue with my 40-150 F2.8 and bought one of these which fits fine

Last edited:

The same happened to me before I went away, it seems to be quite common. A new one is £50.
I look forward to seeing your pictures, I am sure they will be excellent.

I still have a lot of editing and sorting out to do... could take me years :ROFLMAO:

Thanks so much to @Fordsabroad for all his help - so many useful tips! .. and also to those of you who encouraged me to go, such as Jeff @the black fox ... you only live once! :D

Here are a few I have done so far.. I confess with a high key triptych in mind for camera club... a work in progress. The editing of the elephant was inspired by my guide on the holiday.

.20231005-182037-OA057288_1-1.jpg20231008-071911-87015-1.jpg20231008-100821-BA081813_1_Nik_1-1.jpg20231005-165126-OA056324_1_Nik-1.jpg20231009-175946-BA092347_1-1.jpg20231007-064946-OA074879_1-1.jpg

I still have a lot of editing and sorting out to do... could take me years :ROFLMAO:

Thanks so much to @Fordsabroad for all his help - so many useful tips! .. and also to those of you who encouraged me to go, such as Jeff @the black fox ... you only live once! :D

Here are a few I have done so far.. I confess with a high key triptych in mind for camera club... a work in progress. The editing of the elephant was inspired by my guide on the holiday.

.View attachment 403915View attachment 403918View attachment 403917View attachment 403916View attachment 403921View attachment 403930
Like them all, but the giraffe and sunset/rise is my favourite.

.View attachment 403915View attachment 403918View attachment 403917View attachment 403916View attachment 403921View attachment 403930
Fantastic shots, I’m struggling to pick a favourite I like them all so much.
The editing on the elephant and giraffe work well too.
Thanks for sharing.

Like them all, but the giraffe and sunset/rise is my favourite.
Thanks so much. Mr. Bebop looked over my shoulder at that one and said 'I much prefer the elephant' :ROFLMAO: I know he's small in the frame but I wanted the water in as well and I quite like the vastness.

Fantastic shots, I’m struggling to pick a favourite I like them all so much.
The editing on the elephant and giraffe work well too.
Thanks for sharing.
Thank you. I wouldn't have thought to edit the elephant like that. The guide did a similar edit in Lightroom to show technique, and I've tried to copy here using Photolab 6 and Affinity - much more fiddly. I still think his was better.

Apologies I have been doing a lot of travelling and have only just come back here. The email was from OM. The promotion is still active as long as you register before 15th October - you get a free converter too.

Thanks Bebop, but unfortunately it doesn't appear to be applicable for the 150-400mm Pro :(

Lovely, I said you would get great shots. I particularly like the high key elephants.
Who was your host?

Hi. I’m new here. How does one share photos in forums using an iPhone? I can see some photos are from Flickr. Do I have to link my account somehow?

Hi. I’m new here. How does one share photos in forums using an iPhone? I can see some photos are from Flickr. Do I have to link my account somehow?
if you use Flickr simply use the BB code and cut and paste to here

lamp lit dog at night. Wouldn’t have been possible without the IS of my Olympus camera. All viewing/editing of my photos are done on a small phone screen, so please forgive any noise etc. that I can’t see. One day I may invest in a computer with Photoshop/Lightroom and then realise how bad my photos are.482FAA8F-C432-4FC3-8342-0AD1EE1457A2.jpeg

Looking at my photo above… quality looks very poor compared to my original, so not quite sure what has happened there. Any tips appreciated

if you use Flickr simply use the BB code and cut and paste to here
Not sure how it get a “BB code”. I’m not very tech savvy, so I don’t know what that is. I’ve not used Flickr all that much either, but trying to find ways to get back into photography

lamp lit dog at night. Wouldn’t have been possible without the IS of my Olympus camera. All viewing/editing of my photos are done on a small phone screen, so please forgive any noise etc. that I can’t see. One day I may invest in a computer with Photoshop/Lightroom and then realise how bad my photos are.View attachment 404094
Lovely dog portrait. Can’t see anything which detracts from the subject.

Lovely dog portrait. Can’t see anything which detracts from the subject.
Thanks. I think I was aiming for something minimalistic. I liked how you can’t make out the details the chair, or the curtain. Just the dog and the blanket with other details being lost in the contrasts of the image.

Not sure how it get a “BB code”. I’m not very tech savvy, so I don’t know what that is. I’ve not used Flickr all that much either, but trying to find ways to get back into photography
You can't get it from the app annoyingly. You have to get it in a browser.

Was cleaning out a drawer over the weekend and found my old Nikon 1.7X TC which they made for a while. It got me thinking why more manufactures don't make something similar ? For instance with Olympus (as most camera manufacturers) we have a 1.4x and 2 x converter available, which on my 300mm F4 give me the option of:

300mm F4 Bare = 600mm F4 eff FOV
300mm F4 with 1.4x = 840mm F5.6 eff FOV
300mm F4 with 2x = 1200mm F8 eff FOV

(For the purposes of this, I'm ignoring equivalence F Stops to FF and just concentrating on light stops)

With a 1.7x converter we would have

300mm F4 with 1.7x = 1,020mm F6.7 eff FOV

Wouldn't that ½ stop extra light be worth or - or am I in the minority ? I never really understood why it never really took off for Nikon, as I'd imagine that optically a 1.7x converter would be easier to make nearer to the 1.4 for optical quality, than the 2x (which don't get me wrong is much better than any 2x converter has the right to be) !

Last edited:
Was cleaning out a drawer over the weekend and found my old Nikon 1.7X TC which they made for a while. It got me thinking why more manufactures don't make something similar ? For instance with Olympus (as most camera manufacturers) we have a 1.4x and 2 x converter available, which on my 300mm F4 give me the option of:

300mm F4 Bare = 600mm F4 eff FOV
300mm F4 with 1.4x = 840mm F5.6 eff FOV
300mm F4 with 2x = 1200mm F8 eff FOV

(For the purposes of this, I'm ignoring equivalence F Stops to FF and just concentrating on light stops)

With a 1.7x converter we would have

300mm F4 with 1.4x = 1,020mm F6.7 eff FOV

Wouldn't that ½ stop extra light be worth or - or am I in the minority ? I never really understood why it never really took off for Nikon, as I'd imagine that optically a 1.7x converter would be easier to make nearer to the 1.4 for optical quality, than the 2x (which don't get me wrong is much better than any 2x converter has the right to be) !
oh yeah I had the 1.7 on a Nikon 300mm f4 Andrew .on a D300s crop body it gave 500mm reach and was easily hand holdable plus it doubled up as a long range macro with that lens , used to love that combo till I changed to a D7100 body and had two fail on me after just over 3000 clicks .. so in a fit of temper I switched back to canon ..:confused:

Talking about teleconverters, anyone else had this problem. I've had my Olympus 1.4TC probably for about 6 years now and my 2.0TC for about 3 years. Today I went out with the OM-1 and the 300mm F4 Pro. For a few of the shots I put the 1.4X converter on to get a bit more reach, and at first everything was OK, then suddenly the EVF and rear screen went totally black. I turned the camera off then back on and everything weas fine for about a dozen shots and then the same again - a black set of screens. However this time, the camera was locked and wouldn't' turn off. In the end, I had to unscrew the battery grip I had attached and then pop the internal battery out. Then when back in the camera turned back on no problem, but the same issue then occurred about 20 mins and 30 shots later.

Annoyed, I removed the 1.4TC and as a test fitted the 2.0TC, and that worked perfectly as did the bare lens on it's no - no issues at all, so the problem is most certainly with the 1.4 TC. To be honest, it's hardy been used in the years I've had it, never been dropped and always kept in it's little bag. On examining the TC, it looks absolutely mint with not a mark on it. I cleaned all the contacts front and back and examined them closely for any defects, but again all looks perfect ? Tried it again for a 3rd time and sure enough after a short time the camera locked up again ?

Anyone else had this. For the images I managed to take whilst it was working they are all tack sharp ?

Last edited:
That’s a weird one andrew , I use mine with the 300 f4 on my e.m1x and touch wood never had a problem .. I will presume that’s it’s just normal front to back contacts on the t.c but who knows there might Be an electronic gizmo internally ?
Suggestions check contacts again on t.c / camera/ lens .. check screws for tightness as well ..and if you have access to a small avo meter check t.c for continuity between front and rear contacts , in case a internal wires breaking down or broken

Back