Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

This morning. As I say just being impatient and wondered if anyone had any experience ie it’s normal for them to miss their quoted timescales.
Fingers crossed that you get a meaningful reply in reasonable timeframe:)

Em1 iii arrived yesterday, I've had a play.

It's an em1 ii but a bit better. Autofocus is better, especially face/eye detect, which is great - the em1 ii was already great, but this really is a decent bit better (although not revolution mind reading levels like some modern kit).

But oh my word, hand held hi res is incredible. Even at higher iso, the files are ridiculously sharp when photographing still life. I think I'll be using this a lot more than I thought for landscapes I want to print big, like woodlands on a still day. Absolutely mind blowing, and it does it all in-camera and gives a 50mp raw file!

Early days but I'm very glad it's basically a slightly better em1 mark ii. I loved that thing and regretted selling it. I'm glad to have it back, but better than ever.

Em1 iii arrived yesterday, I've had a play.

It's an em1 ii but a bit better. Autofocus is better, especially face/eye detect, which is great - the em1 ii was already great, but this really is a decent bit better (although not revolution mind reading levels like some modern kit).

But oh my word, hand held hi res is incredible. Even at higher iso, the files are ridiculously sharp when photographing still life. I think I'll be using this a lot more than I thought for landscapes I want to print big, like woodlands on a still day. Absolutely mind blowing, and it does it all in-camera and gives a 50mp raw file!

Early days but I'm very glad it's basically a slightly better em1 mark ii. I loved that thing and regretted selling it. I'm glad to have it back, but better than ever.
Good news Paul,

I'm upgrading to the EM1X and like you want to try the handheld Hi Res mode.

And the built in ND filters too.

Glad you're happy.

For owners of the big white.....

I saw ref to new firmware, of which this is the 'improvement'

@RedRobin @Fordsabroad @Bebop

No idea of the benefits so just a heads up:)
Many thanks for that. I updated it this morning. No birds to be found when I went out, but I managed a half second exposure of the wind turbines here in Spain using the inbuilt ND64 - at the wider 150mm end. I was shocked at how sharp it was. Perhaps it is a big step up in stability? Time will tell. I haven’t downloaded the pics yet.

A few from RSPB Greylake Somerset this morning all taken on the OM1 and 150-400

Not sure about this one below first attempt at sky replacement leaves me a bit marmite. Sky was so drab thought give it a go at least I had a practice think the sky replacement for me is better suited to landscapes

Last edited:
they all work for me Terry ,the sky replacement works o.k to

they all work for me Terry ,the sky replacement works o.k to
Thanks Jeff I know sky replacement divides opinions but I guess it's another tool not unlike the old days of dodging and burning in the darkroom

totally love them lapwings b.t.w pity that Flickr balled up the individual comments and likes section as I used to go through all contacts work on a daily basis ,now its just a total mess

Couple more from this morning ducks flew everywhere as a pair of peregrines flew in they swooped over the hide and they were gone! A bit of black white because the sky was awful today

Last edited:
Not sure how many users are considering purchasing the 150-400mm but London Camera Exchange have a 10% voucher code CMOM10 in place for this lens

The 150-400 is down to £5939.10 cheaper than the used MPB ones LCE are showing in stock so no long wait for delivery Wex also have a offer but LCE is cheaper

Also applies to these lenses as well plus cashback from OM

Last edited:
pair of marsh harriers hunting out on the dee estuary .. pleased with how this turned out considering it was a dull misty day and I was shooting into the light
be uprising by jeff cohen, on Flickr
The Dee Estuary is certainly good 'hunting' ground for the birds & you.

TFS:)

I overlook the whole marsh from my hilltop retreat on the Welsh side . local Knowledge helps

Saturday being a sunny day in the west country I decided to take a trip to RPSB Bowling green marsh at Topsham Devon great location as you have access to the Exe Estuary a stone throw away I couldn't stay until the tide came back in as this would have pushed the birds up the mud a bit closer so was grateful for what I got somehow I managed capture all of my images as jpegs when normally its raw only for me which along with the harsh light didn't help my cause lesson learnt All taken on the OM1 and the big white the fox picture had the 1.4 attached

Enjoyed the day will certainly be going back in the next few weeks I have booked the wildlife cruise run by the Stuart line for next February a very reasonable £14 for three hours birdwatching hopefully will get to see the Avocets a bit closer than Saturday

Last edited:
Many thanks for that. I updated it this morning. No birds to be found when I went out, but I managed a half second exposure of the wind turbines here in Spain using the inbuilt ND64 - at the wider 150mm end. I was shocked at how sharp it was. Perhaps it is a big step up in stability? Time will tell. I haven’t downloaded the pics yet.
I saw this interesting 'report' linked on the e-group for Olympus/OM users and it seems to echo your quick test in regard to the stickiness of the AF being improved.

PS hopefully your further usage of the 150-400mm will continue to be good :)

Last edited:
Terry. You might wanna crop/clone that white ‘thing’ above the ducks back. First thing I saw.
Good spot Trev thanks for pointing it out much appreciated

Back