Olympus OM-D E-M5, E-M1, E-M10 - Mk1, Mk2 & Mk3 Owners Thread

Expecting another flurry of images after tomorrow from you Jeff as you're in for another decent day by all accounts.

Tomorrow a "new" (to me) lens is arriving - the olympus 12-40mm 2.8 pro. Found one on mpb that has a tiny bit of fungus - I'll get that killed off easily enough, and expect it to be absolutely fine. That means I'll have the 12-40mm 2.8 and 40-150mm f4 for walkabout covering almost all eventualities for less than the weight of my old S5, 20-60mm kit zoom and the 85mm prime. Nice.

Expecting another flurry of images after tomorrow from you Jeff as you're in for another decent day by all accounts.
The sky cleared around 1pm today so off I trots done 7 miles looked in rear view mirror and the sky was black behind me .. turned round and dashed for home .did get some redshanks on the marsh at 25600 I.s.o but now all binned . Sat at home cracking my nuts ,quite good fun

Tomorrow a "new" (to me) lens is arriving - the olympus 12-40mm 2.8 pro. Found one on mpb that has a tiny bit of fungus - I'll get that killed off easily enough, and expect it to be absolutely fine. That means I'll have the 12-40mm 2.8 and 40-150mm f4 for walkabout covering almost all eventualities for less than the weight of my old S5, 20-60mm kit zoom and the 85mm prime. Nice.
How does that work Paul, I always thought that unles the lens was broken down and thoroughly cleaned it was basically toast.

How does that work Paul, I always thought that unles the lens was broken down and thoroughly cleaned it was basically toast.
Leave it in the sun, or shine a UV light down it for a while. It's still only fungus, needs the right conditions to thrive. It won't be kept in a humid environment or anything. If it's that bad I'll send it back, but mpb usually won't accept lenses with fungus so it's probably very, very minor.

I've had lenses with fungus before, if it's just a small spot or a couple of threads it really doesn't matter, and I've never seen one "grow" - the only times I've seen bad fungus is on old lenses that were in storage for a long time (dark, damp, not too hot or cold - all the right conditions for problems!).

It arrived! I had a look and I can't see any fungus, even shining a torch down. I don't doubt it's there, but it must be incredibly minor.

Phenomenal lens. Small, light, feels super sturdy, nicely damped zoom ring and seems very sharp. About as expected!

Sorry for the spamming. I wasnt going to edit any more pics today but was happy with this Chough photo. It feels like years since I got one I was happy with.
OM1+300mm and 1.4tc

Chough, Isle of Man by Pete, on Flickr

You could even say you were really chuffed :LOL:
I haven't finished catching up with this thread, so someone may well have cracked that joke already. It's been a busy time.

You could even say you were really chuffed :LOL:
I haven't finished catching up with this thread, so someone may well have cracked that joke already. It's been a busy time.
Hope you cooked the Christmas dinner properly though LOl

robin from yesterday
twiggy by jeff cohen, on Flickr

Very nice.

I get very different colours on this site on my phone as compared to the Flickr app. On the site it looks excellent - warm and punchy and colourful, but a bit flat in Flickr. I assume this is a colour management issue in the Flickr app or the Chrome browser?

Just wondering really. Happens to all photos hosted there!

Very nice.

I get very different colours on this site on my phone as compared to the Flickr app. On the site it looks excellent - warm and punchy and colourful, but a bit flat in Flickr. I assume this is a colour management issue in the Flickr app or the Chrome browser?

Just wondering really. Happens to all photos hosted there!
I’m on safari on the Mac mini and I.pad and the photos are identical so can only presume it’s your browser at fault

I’m on safari on the Mac mini and I.pad and the photos are identical so can only presume it’s your browser at fault
Weird! I have no issue with browser between this and lightroom, but Flickr is very different. Not unique to you - just in general!

It's a rubbish app, anyway. I prefer the website and that displays correctly. Very odd!

Does anyone print their images from the Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark III? If so, just wondering how large you can go before quality starts to degrade noticeably?

I’ve printed A3, which is the largest my printer will print, and they were perfectly fine.

I've printed images with some cropping to A3, no problems. The Hoatzin image I posted here a couple of weeks ago is uncropped and I reckon will finish up A2 if I can find somewhere to hang it.

Good to know thanks both, does the large resolution feature really work well for static objects? Is it only the OM1 that has it as a handhold feature?

Good to know thanks both, does the large resolution feature really work well for static objects? Is it only the OM1 that has it as a handhold feature?

Em1 mark iii has hand held hi res and it works exceptionally well for still life.

I've printed 6 megapixel images to A3, so I count anything above that as cropping space really :) viewing distance is a consideration, if you have a big print you usually see it from a bit further away. A 40 inch 4k TV looks great from the sofa but is only about 8 megapixels.

Em1 mark iii has hand held hi res and it works exceptionally well for still life.

I've printed 6 megapixel images to A3, so I count anything above that as cropping space really :) viewing distance is a consideration, if you have a big print you usually see it from a bit further away. A 40 inch 4k TV looks great from the sofa but is only about 8 megapixels.
You're very convincing, I'm getting more and more tempted to make the switch from Sony now

You're very convincing, I'm getting more and more tempted to make the switch from Sony now

If you're a pixel peeper you'll not be happy - modern Sony (or any aps/ff) camera will have less noise at any iso than any m43 camera, by at least 1 stop and most likely about 2.

That doesn't matter in almost any situation but very low light (iso 6400+ and low light in my opinion). I seldom use noise reduction when printing, I only use it when I'm cropping heavily - but I'm "tolerant" to noise. If switching system, I would massively recommend borrowing a camera or renting one, to see what you think.

Signed, a huge fan of 43 cameras who thinks it's criminal they're not more popular than they are! :)

If you're a pixel peeper you'll not be happy - modern Sony (or any aps/ff) camera will have less noise at any iso than any m43 camera, by at least 1 stop and most likely about 2.

That doesn't matter in almost any situation but very low light (iso 6400+ and low light in my opinion). I seldom use noise reduction when printing, I only use it when I'm cropping heavily - but I'm "tolerant" to noise. If switching system, I would massively recommend borrowing a camera or renting one, to see what you think.

Signed, a huge fan of 43 cameras who thinks it's criminal they're not more popular than they are! :)
Haha thank you, yes I think it would be wise for me to rent one first

You may have seen this but a fantastic advert for Pro Capture I don't use Pro Capture enough but my goal in 2024 is to change this and start to explore this feature

BBC News - Photographer stops time to snap butterflies and birds

You may have seen this but a fantastic advert for Pro Capture I don't use Pro Capture enough but my goal in 2024 is to change this and start to explore this feature

BBC News - Photographer stops time to snap butterflies and birds
Wow fantastic read and lots of amazing images.
Thanks for sharing

Back