Beginner Open University Course

Name
Philip
Edit My Images
Yes
As the price has dropped, I was wondering if anyone has experience with this course:

Thanks! Just thinking it might motivate me to get out there and take some photos :)

As the price has dropped, I was wondering if anyone has experience with this course:

Thanks! Just thinking it might motivate me to get out there and take some photos :)
I think a nice camera for the same amount would do more :)

It's not going to teach you settings / how to use a camera (or probably anything technical) If you're expectations are aligned with the cource outcomes, then go for it. imo all the things below could help you make better photos without telling you how to make better photos

1698232638048.png

Last edited:
It sounds a bit talky and feely from what I can see. If you want to motivate yourself just get out and do it. I'm sure a lot of us feel the same, but it's funny how you take a few photos and all of a sudden you begin to see things. Plus which that £500.00 could be spent on something more useful.

You'll probably learn more about photography watching youtube.
Most of these sort of courses that I've heard of concentrate more on "self learning" showing you how to research a subject, rather than learning how to actually take better pictures.
As Steve said buy a better camera or lens.

I'm a great believer in our TP 52/DPOTY/FPOTY and other challenges as means of getting us out shooting images. One TP'er has been in touch today with me to clarify something as he is building a list of similar challenges from the photography sites he uses, and there's a lot of reasons to go photographing as a result.
Maybe - this is a reflection of my own problems in getting out and doing it - the £500 could be better spent taking a short holiday away from day to day life explicitly for photography, whether that's a few days in the Lake District/Highlands & Islands/Madrid/ etc or maybe a workshop with a Youtuber?

I was thinking about taking that course too, but after all decided not to. And now after reading this thread, I understand that it was the right decision.

Instead, I invested in a couple of days out - one with an ex press photographer doing street photographer and one with a landscape photographer. I followed on from this doing a 3 days workshop with the same landscape guy. I think that is money better spent than the OU course, for me.

Last edited:
I recently concluded the more basic OU course, the conclusion of which, last week, brought me here, looking for other stuff to do.

Basically, I've taken what I consider to be decent photos for years - my first "good" camera was a Rollei B35 I bought in 1973. My photography has always been an adjunct for other stuff I've done: pike fishing, hill walking, cycling etc., but I've never considered myself to be a photographer. Since the advent of digital, I have never, for example, taught myself to use an editor, other than for a bit of cropping. I've just accepted that the result of my effort was what I got, just as I would have done years ago when a batch of prints turned up from Bonusprint. In recent years, I've simply allowed the camera to make all the decisions in "intelligent auto" mode with, mostly, very acceptable results.

I can't comment on the £500 course, although I considered taking part. I will say that I found my attitude towards my photography has changed rather since doing the more basic course, which I suppose is the objective, but some of the instructional videos left a fair bit to be desired in terms of the narrator's delivery, which was sometimes rushed and indistinct.

I was reading an article years ago from a guy that taught photography and it seems to me he started everyone out on a really in-expensive point and shoot. Seems he said even a good photo could be disrupted by poor framing. That said I'd think getting a better camera ain't gonna work. Let be honest about this, the new photographer isn't gonna have a clue how to work an entry level camera much less how to get the best out of it. Inexpensive point and shoots I've had in the past took better photo's than I was capable of. Take an old Brownie film camera and learn to frame the photo and go from there. Once into a DSLR you could then shoot everything in program mode and properly framed, get some good shots. Moving much beyond that is getting into science for me! Ya have to learn a whole new language to understand it. Been working on that over 20 yrs and still can't figure out what a lot of people are talking about. Probably a good thing especially with a DSLR would be finding some kind of camera club to join! Doing this 20 some years and just recently found out what the out of focus background is called but at the moment can't remember. Depending on what you really want you can jump in as far as you want but, first learn basic's, you'll often have to return to them!

It is unfortunate that OU courses have had to follow the pricing structure of brick unis. I did half a degree in physics and maths but had to stop for a while because circumstances changed. At the time I was doing maths courses for about £250 but when I came back to do a another course a few years later the same courses I had done had hit the two and a half grand mark. I only did them out of interest and for a couple of hundred quid it was OK but there was no way 'general interest' was going to get me to stump up thousands at my stage of life. And so it is with this course, at £500 it is quite expensive and only gives you 10 points towards a qualification at the end anyway, so while I quite like the idea, to quote Dragon's Den, I can't invest in this, so I'm out.

I totally agree with Martin @ShinySideUp regarding OU fees. I feel it (the institution) has completely lost it's way in respect of why it was first established.
I did an OU degree back in the 80's/90's purely for interest, and gained as a result (not professionally but as a person). I had always wanted to study another degree programme when I retired, but it's way beyond reach now. Also, if you did decide to have a go, paying £2k or so for a course is a big investment if you're not sure you are up to it. This is especially unfortunate for us in England, the only home country where fees are not subsidised - it's half or less if you are in Wales, Scotland or NI.

I was reading an article years ago from a guy that taught photography and it seems to me he started everyone out on a really in-expensive point and shoot. Seems he said even a good photo could be disrupted by poor framing. That said I'd think getting a better camera ain't gonna work. Let be honest about this, the new photographer isn't gonna have a clue how to work an entry level camera much less how to get the best out of it. Inexpensive point and shoots I've had in the past took better photo's than I was capable of. Take an old Brownie film camera and learn to frame the photo and go from there. Once into a DSLR you could then shoot everything in program mode and properly framed, get some good shots. Moving much beyond that is getting into science for me! Ya have to learn a whole new language to understand it. Been working on that over 20 yrs and still can't figure out what a lot of people are talking about. Probably a good thing especially with a DSLR would be finding some kind of camera club to join! Doing this 20 some years and just recently found out what the out of focus background is called but at the moment can't remember. Depending on what you really want you can jump in as far as you want but, first learn basic's, you'll often have to return to them!

That reflects the feelings on several aspects expressed on here many times

Looking at post 3 which Ben posted, heres my take on the skills taught.

1 Genre specific field skills. This is something you'll pick up as you develop an intrest in a specific type of photography, and could mean take a coat for landscape photography.

2 Critical reflection. Thinking about the pictures you took and whats good or bad about them.

3 Visual awareness. This is something most but not all people develop normally as photographers, you start "seeing" photographs where other non photographers often dont.

4 Recearching and working to a brief. Not really needed for normal photographers, used mostly in commercial photography, and normally just needs comon sense and asking for clear instructions on what client wants.

5 Giving constructive feedback. Not really usefull unless your giving crit of other peoples work.

6 Intentional photography.... as opposed to what? Unintentional pressing the shutter button? Padding

7 Confidence in visual literacy. Again padding and meaningless. Not needed to take photographs.

8 Collaberation with others. Only needed if your planing on working with others, not needed to go and take your own pics.

Whats not being taught is photography, how light works, how to use flash, how exposure works or indeed any of the even basic photography skills.
You'd learn more in a simple course or camera club in a month and it'll cost almost nothing compared to this.

1 Genre specific field skills. This is something you'll pick up as you develop an intrest in a specific type of photography, and could mean take a coat for landscape photography.

2 Critical reflection. Thinking about the pictures you took and whats good or bad about them.

3 Visual awareness. This is something most but not all people develop normally as photographers, you start "seeing" photographs where other non photographers often dont.

4 Recearching and working to a brief. Not really needed for normal photographers, used mostly in commercial photography, and normally just needs comon sense and asking for clear instructions on what client wants.

5 Giving constructive feedback. Not really usefull unless your giving crit of other peoples work.

6 Intentional photography.... as opposed to what? Unintentional pressing the shutter button? Padding

7 Confidence in visual literacy. Again padding and meaningless. Not needed to take photographs.

8 Collaberation with others. Only needed if your planing on working with others, not needed to go and take your own pics.

Whats not being taught is photography, how light works, how to use flash, how exposure works or indeed any of the even basic photography skills.
You'd learn more in a simple course or camera club in a month and it'll cost almost nothing compared to this.

In fairness to the course description, they do ssume that you aready know about exposure, shutter speeds and DoF etc, they do say that the basic stuff is not part of the course and you should already be competent in handling your camera, hiowever I agree with you, and others, that the course information and help can be acquired free of charge from a myriad of other sources; not least this very forum.

Sometimes the critique on this forum however, can be somewhat tailored so as not to give offence. I think perhaps a header entitled 'Be brutallyt Honest' rather than just 'Critique' might often be the kick some of us need to stop being lazy in our photography, something I can be guilty of on occasions.

You could join the 52 challenge on here. That is really good for getting you trying different genres and trying to think out of the box. People on here are really helpful too, to help you improve.
There is a site called 'A Year With My Camera', that will take you, week by week, through all the intracacies on the camera, understanding the exposure triangle, photographic composition, until you become an extremely competent photographer.

Based on learning by email, you learn at your own pace, are given set tasks to demonstrate points in photography to develop your understanding. There is a free and paid version, but with the paid version you get one to one tutoring via email, also photographic days out for collective support.

Your explanations make everything more clear.
Without it, all those skills look important and crucial, and if people don't have a lot of experience, they will for sure enrol.
But I think the price is still too high for something like this

Back