OptimusBri's self portrait 365

time for a catch up...

stand outs for me are as follows: 145, love the focus/dof, its perfect in b&w. 139, 134, 133 and 129...

the winner for me is 135, nicely composed and gives a real insight into what your life was about at that moment. brilliant...

looking forward to the holiday portraits...

Dam briony... Today's is good, and when I'm mean good, I'm mean bloody excellent.

This is my favourite of yours so far. Just the textures, central composition, foreground interest, background interest, the leading line of flattened plants, and the awesome pose is the icing on this massive out of this world cake.

Oh... And it's black and White, that's always a winner for me.

:D

I like this picture by the way...:LOL:

You're too nice to me haha :D thanks so much!

Agreed with above... beautiful!! Love the depth of field in it, and the pose suits it soo well. Top class!

Thank you!

Im sure I recognise where 144 is... then again there is paths and fences in most places...!

It's near The Hayride in Molescroft, Beverley :)

time for a catch up...

stand outs for me are as follows: 145, love the focus/dof, its perfect in b&w. 139, 134, 133 and 129...

the winner for me is 135, nicely composed and gives a real insight into what your life was about at that moment. brilliant...

looking forward to the holiday portraits...

Cheers Ian :) glad you're liking them!

146/365

4645804568_677ce36a69.jpg

So, I was planning to walk down the track near our house to take some photos, but I was a bit short for time, so I thought I'd take some in the garden. I didn't originally like how this shot was turning out, but I'm quite pleased with the finished result.

147/365

4645917060_f1acf21695.jpg

Thought I'd have a nice one of me and my dog for today's self portrait :D

They're both brilliant.

147 is probably my favourite! Great flare, and working with animals is very tough! Great effort.

Just catching up with everybody's 365's who I've been following but haven't commented on for a while, been so busy with exams but now they are over!

Some really awesome photos, great light in 143, and I'm especially liking 147. I don't know how you manage to come up with so many creative ideas for self portraits, I thought I'd attempt another one the other day for my 365 but I found it really difficult to get something I liked, so I went with another idea!

They're both brilliant.

147 is probably my favourite! Great flare, and working with animals is very tough! Great effort.

Thanks again Toby :) and yeh, tell me about it! My dog was running about everywhere, very hard to make him sit still, let alone do what I wanted haha.

Just catching up with everybody's 365's who I've been following but haven't commented on for a while, been so busy with exams but now they are over!

Some really awesome photos, great light in 143, and I'm especially liking 147. I don't know how you manage to come up with so many creative ideas for self portraits, I thought I'd attempt another one the other day for my 365 but I found it really difficult to get something I liked, so I went with another idea!

Thanks a lot :) I don't know how I do it either! A lot of the time, I just grab my equipment and go for a walk, and just take some normal portrait shots if I don't have the time/can't be bothered to think of any interesting concepts.

Thanks Bill :)

149/365

4650865870_c11b069ae3.jpg

REALLY pleased with how this turned out! The weather, being England, was rubbish today, so I decided I should do something a little more inventive inside. In the spur of the moment I came up with this, and didn't think it would turn out anywhere near this good. I've realised that when I do anything remotely to do with horror, I seem to use hands/arms a lot. Not intentionally...it just seems to happen haha.

148 has lovely colours, but I don't think you've picked a flattering angle for your head.

149 is just superb - love it!

Phil

Thank you both for your comments.

150/365

4653024593_882b7191f4.jpg

So, I thought I'd try out another 'hand' shot. I wanted to do one that was outside, so in to the lovely field I went. After editing all the hands, it took me so long to decide how to process it. I tried loads of things and nothing looked right or how I had imagined it. I'm still not 100% happy with the processing in this but I might come back to it tomorrow and possibly change it a bit.

I have also had an idea for a mini series of photos, separate from my 365 project (meaning I won't have to photograph myself all the time for it, yay!) which has been inspired by yesterday's shot. I still need to sort out my ideas properly for it, to see if I can think of things that would actually work...but my idea is basically to do a horror type shot (using only hands, maybe? Not sure yet) in each room of a house, e.g. kitchen, bathroom, bedroom...But yes, that is my idea, and if I go ahead with it, I shall announce it on here, and I'll take the shots for it as and when I have time :)

Briony, I've been meaning to look in here for a couple of weeks and been saving it for a day when I'd have time for a proper read.

It's amazing how much your style has changed and developed as this has progressed and you've obviously got more confident with what you're doing.
As I've gone through the thread I've kept picking out shots to comment on and then scrolled down a page and thought "No, I won't comment on that. This next one is so much better!"

However, from the earlier stuff I really have to single out no.26 "Blind".
I love the disturbing spin that you've given this and it would make a superb album cover or movie promotion.

Another favourite of mine is 58.
The PP is absolutely superb on this one and I think for me it's the standout shot of the project so far :notworthy:

76 is another stunner. It looks like a fairly simple portrait, but the background takes it to another level.
And I absolutely love the use of reflections in glass in shot 102. This is coming in as a close second to no.58 for my favourite of the thread.

As for this week's stuff. Your hands on the stairs stands out for me. Very different to most of your other stuff and I love the simplicity of no.147.

Thank you Briony. I've thoroughly enjoyed looking through this project - and I've promised myself to drop in more regularly.
Self portraits are not easy at all, and seeing the stunning stuff that you and Louise K are coming up with, is really inspiring me to try to get better at people photography.

great shots as always, what a catch up..

I love how the flares are following you on 143, superb!

149 is great.. fantastic PP

Hey Bri,

Spent an hour last night just trying to get one decent SP and realised even more respect for your project here. Superb stuff lady - especially to keep the creativity going day in day out.

I hope you will come show us all how it is done in The Face Behind the TPer challenge?

I absoloutly love the hand shots. Amazing work there. Reminds me of the 28 Days later series of films. Awesome :LOL:

Briony,
Fantastic set and really great to see the progression through use of light, ideas and photoshopping
I'm pretty new to all this but it's given me some fantastic ideas for my own shots
Thanks
Graham :clap:

love 149, very roman polanski! 150 is a nice landscape with a very sinister edge. nice contrast, in more ways than one ;o) good to see that you are not struggling for inspiration...

Last edited:
Briony, I've been meaning to look in here for a couple of weeks and been saving it for a day when I'd have time for a proper read.

It's amazing how much your style has changed and developed as this has progressed and you've obviously got more confident with what you're doing.
As I've gone through the thread I've kept picking out shots to comment on and then scrolled down a page and thought "No, I won't comment on that. This next one is so much better!"

However, from the earlier stuff I really have to single out no.26 "Blind".
I love the disturbing spin that you've given this and it would make a superb album cover or movie promotion.

Another favourite of mine is 58.
The PP is absolutely superb on this one and I think for me it's the standout shot of the project so far :notworthy:

76 is another stunner. It looks like a fairly simple portrait, but the background takes it to another level.
And I absolutely love the use of reflections in glass in shot 102. This is coming in as a close second to no.58 for my favourite of the thread.

As for this week's stuff. Your hands on the stairs stands out for me. Very different to most of your other stuff and I love the simplicity of no.147.

Thank you Briony. I've thoroughly enjoyed looking through this project - and I've promised myself to drop in more regularly.
Self portraits are not easy at all, and seeing the stunning stuff that you and Louise K are coming up with, is really inspiring me to try to get better at people photography.

Blimey, thanks a lot Sarah :) I really appreciate that you've taken the time to look over all my work and give lots of feedback. Hopefully you'll enjoy the rest of my project just as much!

great shots as always, what a catch up..

I love how the flares are following you on 143, superb!

149 is great.. fantastic PP

Thanks a lot Michelle :) I was rather pleased with photo 143 too!

Hey Bri,

Spent an hour last night just trying to get one decent SP and realised even more respect for your project here. Superb stuff lady - especially to keep the creativity going day in day out.

I hope you will come show us all how it is done in The Face Behind the TPer challenge?

Aw thank you :D haha, hmmm maybe I will do that challenge!

I absoloutly love the hand shots. Amazing work there. Reminds me of the 28 Days later series of films. Awesome :LOL:

Thanks! I love those films haha :)

Briony,
Fantastic set and really great to see the progression through use of light, ideas and photoshopping
I'm pretty new to all this but it's given me some fantastic ideas for my own shots
Thanks
Graham :clap:

Glad that I've inspired you, and thanks for the comments!

love 149, very roman polanski! 150 is a nice landscape with a very sinister edge. nice contrast, in more ways than one ;o) good to see that you are not struggling for inspiration...

Cheers Ian :D I'm glad I haven't been struggling recently either!

Time for a bit of a catch up....still got another 3 or 4 photos to edit after these ones but I'm going out shortly so they may have to wait a couple of days!

151/365

4660955212_034bedcd51.jpg

Just a simple smiley portrait for today's shot.

152/365

4663247672_f92f5bcbda.jpg

Yes, yes, hand obsession I know. I had an alternative to this shot which didn't include hands but I much preferred this :D

153/365

4678925373_95fe180d5d.jpg

This was such a lovely day at the beach. It was pretty grey and cloudy but really warm.

154/365

4679584240_206cac802a.jpg

Can't remember what exactly I had to run off for this day, but I was in a hurry so I didn't have long to take this shot!

like 151, simple, smiley, good focus and dof...152 is super, long may the obsession continue...153 is a good, unusual composition. like the processing as well...154, excellent! good use of light and shadow...

enjoyable catch-up, thanks...

ian said everything I would have said :)

love the last one especially, fab light and shadows

Thanks both of you :)

155/365

4679050155_ba4dcddbe5.jpg

Had no inspiration or motivation today, so this was another fairly quick shot!

156/365

4685225954_d6faf0501d.jpg

I felt the need for a nice happy smiley portrait wearing my new flower clip and new top :)

157/365

4685259826_f9d78ba8bb.jpg

Considering that I thought this would turn out horribly, I'm actually pleased with how this shot has turned out, and I quite like it now!

158/365

4685297342_602d7ef190.jpg

No explanation really for this...another simple portrait shot.

159/365

4684727799_07fda947e7.jpg

I really don't like this shot... I left it a bit late to take my photo, and wasn't in the mood for it at all, so here is today's rubbish offering. More effort for the next shot I think!

Right...just need to take and edit today's shot, then I'm up to date again!

Not sure what it says about me (or you for that matter) but i DO like the darker shots you do, the hand shots are awesome, very simple but eerie. As for your portraits I prefer the more stylised ones rather than straight to camera 147, 153, 157 to give you an idea of the ones I mean (just my preference).

Keep playing with the hands, you're on to something ;)

And here's my shot for today :)

160/365

4685467071_8efafefaef.jpg

The weather today has been utterly miserable, and it was raining a bit when I went to take this photo. I'm hoping the sun and hot weather will return soon!

On the plus side for today, I like this shot, I got offered a job interview for tomorrow, and I got my nose pierced :D (you can only just see it in this photo!)

Not sure what it says about me (or you for that matter) but i DO like the darker shots you do, the hand shots are awesome, very simple but eerie. As for your portraits I prefer the more stylised ones rather than straight to camera 147, 153, 157 to give you an idea of the ones I mean (just my preference).

Keep playing with the hands, you're on to something ;)

Thanks for the comments :) I really like my hand shots too. I'm actually going to be starting a separate hand project sometime soon, so I will post them all up in a different thread when I'm finished!

when a beautiful lady takes beautiful pictures people can't resist!

how are you getting such detail out of this camera? i love the clarity and colours - is it the processing or have i missed the "brilliant features" menu on my 350. :crying:

when a beautiful lady takes beautiful pictures people can't resist!

how are you getting such detail out of this camera? i love the clarity and colours - is it the processing or have i missed the "brilliant features" menu on my 350. :crying:

Haha thanks :D
Well in this photo, to get more detail in my face, I used high pass sharpening on Photoshop on my eyes, nose piercing and the bits of hair around my face. That's the only sharpening I did on this though. As for the colours, I made them a bit more vibrant in post processing, as it was a bloomin grey and miserable evening outside haha :LOL:

Oh and the lens I use almost all the time is the Canon EF 50mm f1.8 :)

Last edited:
uninspired and lacking motivation? i really like 155 regardless of all that. it might benefit from cropping on the right but i like the out of focus brickwork behind you. good focus and exposure...

Thanks Ian :)

161/365

4688560035_30de9c23fd.jpg

Great news - I got a job today! I've been trying for way too long, and I finally got offered a job over the summer before I go back to Uni. I'm so so happy, and I start on tuesday! So it's all smiles and smart clothes for me.

On another note, this took an AGE to edit! It was stupidly windy, and I had hair all over my face, so I did a tonne of editing...might post up the original and the edited version side by side if anyone is interested? :)

Okay, well when I get back home on Monday i'll post up the original. It wasn't just a few fly away hairs by the way, it was quite a lot! Hence my decision to edit it so much.

Nah it wasn't an office job, I just dressed like this for the interview, and I get given a uniform when I start :) it was at a place called Savers, kind of like Boots/Superdrug.

congrats on the job.. am getting to sound like a stuck record, but some great shots as always briony.. love 156.. really pretty, love that flower clip

Completely forgot about this til I was reminded today!! I love 148 and 161 - gorgeous colours, depth and sharpness, and you look really beautiful! :)

168/365

4717796683_496f46bdbc.jpg

169/365

4717914587_5845364bc8.jpg

170/365

4721165671_129e641dc9.jpg

Now...as I have said on my Flickr:

Enough with the appalling photos and minimal effort; I hate my recent images and how my photostream on Flickr currently looks pants. I want my photostream to be full of shots that I have put effort in to, and I want that to show. Here is a shot that I actually took time over and am really happy with, and I am determined that the rest of my photos will continue in the same way.

171/365

4721862384_bbec349f04.jpg

172/365 (today's - yay, finally I've caught up!)

4721944514_e9536ca9d3.jpg

Like yesterday's shot, here is another image that I'm REALLY pleased with :D so happy with how this has turned out! Also, big apologies for not uploading regularly!

Last edited:
No C&C to offer as I am a complete beginner but just wanted to say I am really enjoying your 365. Your so creative I couldnt think of a new way to take a self protrait once a week nevermind every single day. Well done you(y)

Back