Options for Learning / Mastering Photography

Name
Dan
Edit My Images
No
So I wondered what people thought about the best way to master photography is?

I started Ted Forbes - The art of photography, 'projects' series, that was a few weeks ago and I've only done one thing! - but some people labelled it as free university/college course, so I should probably keep going!

Does anyone recommend workshop/uni courses? or a particular pathway?

Whatever you do, if you truly want to master photography dont keeping looking at or aspiring to hobbyist / amateur work.

And in the same manner don't use those kind of techniques.

Now I'm not mocking hobbyists, there are many great ones out there, and it's unfair to generalise, but if you are able in general to see the difference between work published in high end magazines, books, websites etc. against a Facebook photography forum then you are already on a massive step towards mastering photography and this will ultimately massively help your path towards knowing what and how to study.

How to filter out the average.

I should probably find some photographers to take interest in.

I don't think you want to limit yourself to photographers, you more want to look at the locations work is used, especially locations where this is a filter, such as high end magazines. They only choose and use quality professional work for a reason.

In contrast youtubers can talk any old crap they want and have nothing to back it up.

I'm finding this interesting to read.

It was linked from

Upstairs I have (more than) a few books I've never read, I will start reading a book on composition - perhaps if I allowed some rules to influence compositions it will open me up to new approaches.

Louise is going to register to that 'online masterclass' thing for her writing, so I'll start watching some of the photography related videos.

If I recall correctly your work is already of a very high standard, what exactly do you want to improve upon? Are you a member of the RPS, they run a number of events/talks/training at all levels and I find their journal inspiring.

If I recall correctly your work is already of a very high standard, what exactly do you want to improve upon? Are you a member of the RPS, they run a number of events/talks/training at all levels and I find their journal inspiring.

Thanks,

Confidence is something I'd like to improve upon, which I think going any way towards mastering many aspects photography would naturally bring.

I'd say my eye for photography is pretty good, but I'm not 'all knowing' or even 'all seeing'
I don't really read books on photography, I'm think learning more theory would help inspire me.

With the internet at my finger tips, I'm doing pretty well to ignore a world of knowledge..

And more specific things I want to improve on include directing/posing models for portraiture.

and in general I want to invoke emotion through imagery

Not a member of RPS no, I don't know much about them except a photographer I know submitted various photos to get some kind of award/merit/certification - I'm a bit wary of 'awards'.

Last edited:
Having read this back the following seems to be huge plug for the RPS, it isn't meant to be, I'm sure there are lots of other organisations, groups etc. that provide similar services and I think that what I am really saying is that I find paying for tuition from proven professionals focuses the mind much more that scratching around trying to pick the good from the mediocre on youtube.

The RPS isn't all about awards, in fact that's only a small part of what they do but one definition of photographic mastery must be achieving Fellowship of the RPS. That said, personally I have no interest in the awards but I do attend several of their events, it's great to be in the company of other serious photographers, even if only via zoom at the moment and the range of activities is vast. I did a workshop with Paul Hill last year, Paul Hill critiqued some of my photos! I also did a Simon Ellingworth workshop - http://simonellingworth.com - a Sony award winner critiqued my photos (and actually said I should enter one of the them to the Taylor Wessing - I'm sure he was just being kind). I listened in on a talk with Trevor Yerbury, not really my genre but very interesting (https://www.yerburystudio.com/) and several others which were free to RPS members.

I have to say that I watch a fair amount of youtube stuff but nothing compares to a day with one of these guys and typically for the price of a filter or a family meal out. Also, lets be honest a lot of the people on youtube are wanna-bes and have only really made it on youtube, not for the excellence of their photography.

Also Magnum do courses and portfolio reviews - https://www.magnumphotos.com/learn/

Before the current plague I used to make an effort to go to galleries and look at photos such as the Sony World Photo awards exhibition, there was a Cindy Sherman exhibition at the National Portrait gallery a few years ago and Don Mccullin at the Tate for example. Obviously it's up to you which direction you want to go but I would recommend, if you are not doing so already, getting more immersed in the wider world of photography, not just taking photos.

Having read this back the following seems to be huge plug for the RPS, it isn't meant to be, I'm sure there are lots of other organisations, groups etc. that provide similar services and I think that what I am really saying is that I find paying for tuition from proven professionals focuses the mind much more that scratching around trying to pick the good from the mediocre on youtube.

The RPS isn't all about awards, in fact that's only a small part of what they do but one definition of photographic mastery must be achieving Fellowship of the RPS. That said, personally I have no interest in the awards but I do attend several of their events, it's great to be in the company of other serious photographers, even if only via zoom at the moment and the range of activities is vast. I did a workshop with Paul Hill last year, Paul Hill critiqued some of my photos! I also did a Simon Ellingworth workshop - http://simonellingworth.com - a Sony award winner critiqued my photos (and actually said I should enter one of the them to the Taylor Wessing - I'm sure he was just being kind). I listened in on a talk with Trevor Yerbury, not really my genre but very interesting (https://www.yerburystudio.com/) and several others which were free to RPS members.

I have to say that I watch a fair amount of youtube stuff but nothing compares to a day with one of these guys and typically for the price of a filter or a family meal out. Also, lets be honest a lot of the people on youtube are wanna-bes and have only really made it on youtube, not for the excellence of their photography.

Also Magnum do courses and portfolio reviews - https://www.magnumphotos.com/learn/

Before the current plague I used to make an effort to go to galleries and look at photos such as the Sony World Photo awards exhibition, there was a Cindy Sherman exhibition at the National Portrait gallery a few years ago and Don Mccullin at the Tate for example. Obviously it's up to you which direction you want to go but I would recommend, if you are not doing so already, getting more immersed in the wider world of photography, not just taking photos.

I did go to the Don McCullin, a Sony Photo Exhibition and Martin Parr on the same day too.

Q2 - London Galleries by Daniel Cook, on Flickr

and I took this photo on the way there

Q2 - Le Monde by Daniel Cook, on Flickr

I will take a good look at what RPS have to offer, thank you!

Back