Outdoor clothing recommendations.

Another for Paramo, recently purchased just after summer and have had no complaints so far. Quality is top notch and look forward to winter to test it out properly

So, as an aside which Paramo do folks recommend?

Generally for more active use it's the lighter weight Velez or the Quito as they use a lighter, cooler fabric, for steadier use then any of the other waterproofs depending on which features you want.

If it's just a waterproof standing around in the cold jkt then to be honest they're all overkill pricewise and something much cheaper will work sufficiently well.

Again out of budget, but my Paramo jacket is quite the best waterproof I've ever had. More waterproof and much lighter and more flexible than traditional (e.g. Goretex) waterproofs.

Paramo lighter than a Goretex jackets - b****x.

I've got, and owned both. And event, and own brand versions from Rohan, Mountain Hardwear, etc. They all have pro's and cons and I actually quite like Paramo but it's both heavier and bulkier than other hardshell equivalents. This includes their lighter options. That said weight isn't massive issue for most people unless you're into something like lightweight camping or mountain marathons.

Generally for more active use it's the lighter weight Velez or the Quito as they use a lighter, cooler fabric, for steadier use then any of the other waterproofs depending on which features you want.

If it's just a waterproof standing around in the cold jkt then to be honest they're all overkill pricewise and something much cheaper will work sufficiently well.

The lighter velez garments have been known to let water in around the shoulders of you carry a large pack i.e. Wild camping etc with the velez light

the velez light version I had one and it failed on me so upgraded to the velez adventure as it has a Double-layer lining either side of spine and on shoulders, for technical rucksack use.

Also another great garment as mentioned earlier the fuera keeps wind at bay nicely

Have also owned gortex over the years and switched over to paramo last year and have called upon it several times in horrendous conditions and it has not missed a beat also the velez trousers great ventilation when running hot too which I do.

Last edited:
Strangely one of the most practical coats I have had for a while is a full length Drovers Coat, great for standing around, keeps the wind out,
dry and water runs straight off to the ground so you don't need waterproof leggings.
Use it for dog walking and just hose it down in the shower to get the mud off

I have just read the original post so this may not be applicable as it was bleeding expensive but I have an arcteryx jacket and I love it, a superb piece of clothing.

Halcon here as well.

Very comfortable, loads of generous pocket space - and as with all the Paramo gear, designed to move water away from the body, so you stay dry even if working hard (without overheating, as there are vents you can open if you want to be cooler)

In essence clothing is a bit like camera gear. Yes you can buy at the basic level and get good results. But if you want fully functional and adaptable to different circumstances then you do have to consider moving up the food chain.
Just like camera gear, clothing gets more expensive the "better" it gets.

Last edited:
I went with a paramo helki jacket. I got to try it out on a wet day in the lakes in November. After 5 hours out in the rain I was bone dry, the helki had worked well. The sealskins gloves I had on were soaked and I was able to wring water out of them which wasn't good. For trousers I use beghaus waterproof trousers, they worked well in November too.

One thing I would say about paramo is you have to think differently about 'layering' as I found it warmer than my previous jackets. I've since read up further and picked up some base layers and a overlayering paramo insulating gilet cheap on eBay (putting on and off an overlayer is easier than taking the jacket off to put on extra layers).

They are over trouser waterproofs. They have zips and poppers full length along both legs. The zips are dual zips so can open either end to vent. They work well as the material is good quality, don't pass water through even when kneeling in a puddle and are easy to take on/off with the full length leg zips.

I have some paramo trousers too but find them very warm as over trousers (I've been told they should be worn as trousers on their own but I've yet to do this). Due to the fabric they pass water through when kneeling as pressure pushes the water through the fabric just like the jackets do. They dry fast but I'm often kneeling/lying on wet ground so it can be a problem. I'm going to give the paramo trouser more use without under trousers to see how I get on with them. I try to have two outdoor sets, one for the cleaner days and one I abuse when I'm planning to kneel/lie on the ground crawling through mud.

Check out Aldi (or perhaps Lidl, too). I got a pair of boots for £18 and quilted trousers for about the same. My winter jacket is Millets (Sale) quilted Peter Storm. That and a fleece works for me. Best thing is decent gloves to keep fingers warm! But I don't kneel in muddy ground! I have Berghaus waterproof overtrousers too, also bought on sale on the internet. I might be cheap, but at least I'm warm and dry!!

Last edited:
For winter use I've got some Deerhunter Ram trousers, nice soft and quiet outer, fully waterproof / windproof and breathable with plenty of pockets and a high scooped back. Designed for hunting but hunters needs are pretty similar to togs. Forgot to say worn as a normal trouser as I can't be doing with taking over trousers on and off

I have a Rab VapourRise jacket. Perfect for regulating temperature and reasonably warm. Normally around £125 but a bit of research and a price match and extra 10% off at Go Outdoors took it down to just above £60.

My warm coat is Mountain Equipment, Triton. I haven't had it long but wore it in -4 temperatures yesterday with just a tshirt underneath and I was still very cosy. It's a down filled jacket but doesn't have the 'pockets' on the outside like most down jackets. It's also waterproof. Again, being a bargain hunter I managed to get this much cheaper though price matching etc. Very pleased with it so far!

I have a few pairs of trousers and Montane Terra/Super Terra fit me very well. Also excellent quality and windproof, not waterproof though. If you tried a pair on and liked them, they can usually be found on eBay, used once/with little use.

Getting decent boots would be the biggest thing for me if you're going to be walking far. A certain brand would be hard to recommend because our feet are all so different. You'd have to try various pairs on in store. I spent a fair amount on boots but feel they are so important, again I did I price match at go outdoors and got a £180 pair for around £110.

I'm another Paramo user. I have the Alta 3 jacket which I bought in September. Traded in my old Alta 2 jacket at the London for a nice £50 discount. And because I'm a working pro there is also a discount card that is available if you can prove you make a living from photography. Think it's called Nature Pro.

Have their Taiga Fleece which is nice and warm as well as two mountain pull-on base layers which are, unfortunately, no longer made.

Legs are kept dry by a pair of Paramo Cascada trousers.

Prices can be steep BUT they have an Ebay outlet where you can pick up stuff at a good discount so that's worth checking out. My Alta was through that and was bought for £125 which was a steal :D

FWIW I have been happy with my Regatta coat

It is what is now called a three season coat ~ a lined fleece and a wind/rainproof outer coat. I have found it more than upbto keeping out the rain and strong winds. If I recall I paid about £65 for it in 2010.

I actually found one of these coats in a charity shop for £5.00!

The only problem I have is that no matter how freezing the weather I nearly bake to death in it!

A few years ago just after I got it and with thick snow on the ground and a vicious cold wind I put it on to go shopping.

While everyone else was freezing by the time I got home I was drenched in sweat - so I think a Regatta coat could suit you very well!

I actually found one of these coats in a charity shop for £5.00!

The only problem I have is that no matter how freezing the weather I nearly bake to death in it!

A few years ago just after I got it and with thick snow on the ground and a vicious cold wind I put it on to go shopping.

While everyone else was freezing by the time I got home I was drenched in sweat - so I think a Regatta coat could suit you very well!

Never quite affected that 'badly' but it does have underarm zipped vents ;)

Back