Over 70's to be asked to self-isolate - how will you pursue your hobby?

ANY and EVERY government is, no matter what political persuasion.

The important thing, is that the police immediately enforced the rules and the public 'bought into it'................I sincerely hope that the UK population (including the idiots) will take it seriously
The police can only enforce the LAW, and as far as I'm aware, all the government pronouncements are "guidelines" mostly based on what has happened in other countries.

Anybody else think that the government are just making it up as they go?
Bearing in mind it's been 100 years since anything on this scale has ever happened, I am not entirely surprised.
The police can only enforce the LAW, and as far as I'm aware, all the government pronouncements are "guidelines" mostly based on what has happened in other countries.
Laws will be passed this week apparently.

It really, really beggars belief!
I wish it did but we must know by now that a tiny minority of sociopaths are capable of any and all forms of nastiness. :sulk:

If you are a sociopath or maybe just an idiot it's possible to have consequence free fun as the chances of being caught are limited and even if you are any punishment will doubtless be minimal.

Bloody contrary women :ROFLMAO:

As i said earlier we have got Nancys, daughter doing our shopping, now in the 20 years we have been together we have done the shopping together, every time its been a moan from Nancy that she hates going shopping,she was writing a list for her daughter and kept saying i hate this i want to do my own shopping.
570468282d5ce15d740106535b61f533.gif

Also a scarf over your face is doing naff all to prevent a virus

I make no apologies for returning to part of Cagey75's post 270 mar18. At the time this caused a heated argument (due mainly to my response) my reply was based on the 'tone' of the post and the information contained within. The particular comment re the scarf needs revisiting.
For safety let me clarify what the health expert on tonights BBC cronavirus update said. If your bin man has the virus and you grab the bin handle afterwards you cannot contract the virus like this. However if after handling the bin and then you touch your face you can contract the virus. So transposing this scenario to the supermarket where you have a trolly many people have handled, shelf items that again many have handled it is feasible you could transfer the virus to your hands. This is one random quote I have just copied " average person touches their face 2,000 to 3,000 times a day. I maintain that a scarf around the face (I wear a snood pulled up over my nose) will stop you directly touching your face and more importantly by the simple barrier of the scarf/snood will 'remind' you to keep your hands away ! Obviously you need to wash/sanitise your hands asap and in my case I wash the snood when I get home.
In summary, do not worry what people think (or say) wearing something over your face, scarf/snood/mask can (imo) lessen the chance of you transferring the virus from your hands to your face.
Stay safe and lets beat this thing.

How often do i need to run my car and for how far, i have no need at the moment to go out so my car is parked up,i was thinking about taking it for a run of about 10 miles once a week, this would be without any contact with any one.

I make no apologies for returning to part of Cagey75's post 270 mar18. At the time this caused a heated argument (due mainly to my response) my reply was based on the 'tone' of the post and the information contained within. The particular comment re the scarf needs revisiting.
For safety let me clarify what the health expert on tonights BBC cronavirus update said. If your bin man has the virus and you grab the bin handle afterwards you cannot contract the virus like this. However if after handling the bin and then you touch your face you can contract the virus. So transposing this scenario to the supermarket where you have a trolly many people have handled, shelf items that again many have handled it is feasible you could transfer the virus to your hands. This is one random quote I have just copied " average person touches their face 2,000 to 3,000 times a day. I maintain that a scarf around the face (I wear a snood pulled up over my nose) will stop you directly touching your face and more importantly by the simple barrier of the scarf/snood will 'remind' you to keep your hands away ! Obviously you need to wash/sanitise your hands asap and in my case I wash the snood when I get home.
In summary, do not worry what people think (or say) wearing something over your face, scarf/snood/mask can (imo) lessen the chance of you transferring the virus from your hands to your face.
Stay safe and lets beat this thing.

Potentially far more importantly, a scarf over an infected person's mouth and nose will reduce the amount of droplets (containing virus) that gets sprayed around. As protection for the wearer though, unless they're changed very regularly, their effectiveness is not great. Yes, they might stop you touching your face directly but the scarf will still be holding the virus in close proximity to its usual entry points. Safest by far is to stay away from people.

How often do i need to run my car and for how far, i have no need at the moment to go out so my car is parked up,i was thinking about taking it for a run of about 10 miles once a week, this would be without any contact with any one.

Not often and not far. Unless the lockdown continues past a month, don't worry about it. If you ARE worried though, you don't need to drive it far - just enough to stop the tyres from flat-spotting (1/4 - 1/2 a turn) and run it until it's up to normal operating temperature (the radiator gets hot.) Of course, sitting in a running car and not going anywhere isn't good from an environmental viewpoint so I wouldn't bother. FWIW, one of my bikes hadn't been started for 5 months but a night on a battery maintenance trickle charger (a precaution - the battery state indicator showed it to be close to fully charged) and an extra second on the starter button (presumably to reprime the fuel system) saw it throbbing away like a good'un.

A ten mile run is perfect to warm your car up once a week sounds ok
I think obviously further is better but that should be ok
I’m not sure what the rules are about going for a drive maybe someone can tell us

Reportedly the Gov't are giving a 6 month extension to MOT renewal dates for those due to renew after March 30th, just as well for us as we are both due to renew ours mid-April and we aren't going anywhere until 'this' is over.

I have the same problem with one of mine - a 22 year old Defender needs to be run. I thought about disconnecting the battery but if I have a problem with the other car (newer but far from new, that may not get the service that's due in the next couple of weeks) I don't want the hassle of having to put everything back together. A short run every weeks to 10 days should do it, but a 'normal' car will probably go longer. The Defender takes 2 - 3 miles to warm the engine and a bit more to recharge the battery from starting. A jump starter is a really useful bit of kit to have just in case. The Defender's MoT is due mid May, so the extension is one less thing to worry about if I can't get it done. He's been serviced but not MoTed this year, the Aygo has been MoTed but not serviced.............

I’m not sure what the rules are about going for a drive maybe someone can tell us

1. Shopping for basic necessities.
2. One form of exercise a day.
3. Any medical need.
4.Travelling to and from work.

So drive for the sake of it does not comply with what will be law probably by tomorrow.

1. Shopping for basic necessities.
2. One form of exercise a day.
3. Any medical need.
4.Travelling to and from work.

So drive for the sake of it does not comply with what will be law probably by tomorrow.
Ok thanks I wasn’t sure if it was ok to go out just to drive if you didn’t get out of the car

Not really but it could probably be argued (well, discussed amiably!) that a 10 mile diversion on the way to shopping was needed to charge the battery and warm the car up properly.

1. Put some carrier bags on the back seat.
2. Drive to a supermarket 10 miles away.
3. When you arrive see that it is too busy to go in.
4. Drive home again.

I have the same problem with one of mine - a 22 year old Defender needs to be run. I thought about disconnecting the battery but if I have a problem with the other car (newer but far from new, that may not get the service that's due in the next couple of weeks) I don't want the hassle of having to put everything back together. A short run every weeks to 10 days should do it, but a 'normal' car will probably go longer. The Defender takes 2 - 3 miles to warm the engine and a bit more to recharge the battery from starting. A jump starter is a really useful bit of kit to have just in case. The Defender's MoT is due mid May, so the extension is one less thing to worry about if I can't get it done. He's been serviced but not MoTed this year, the Aygo has been MoTed but not serviced.............

Jan you might find the pos terminal on the defender is very easily removable?? Some come in a sort of clip form now no bolts. Altenatively a modern smart battery charger plugged in might keep the batt from discharging too low and knackering it. Sure there might be probs getting a lead to the buggy .But it's a workaround . I've always had older cars Jan But only learnt of these chargers one can leave on recently hence my heads up type post , Caviat is battery fluid levels in an older car watch them!!

Mate we haven't spoken in a while stay safe kiddo thinking of ya

Roger:D I'm too young to be part of your grumpy old man's :LOL: thread mate,I have plans for the persuit of me hobby while locked up but can't share think i'm going to be busy;)

Ha you stay safe too buddy I've no livelyhood now but thankful to be away from the sites and the risks

take care

stu

Just a little update from my world.

We're isolating and one of my sisters who's a nurse is doing our shopping. She was at ASDA at 08:00 and the queue was "To the post office and right round the other side" which will mean nothing to you lot but I think you'll maybe appreciate that's quite a queue, I've never seen a queue outside any supermarket, ever. My sister was allowed to queue jump as they shouted out for any NHS staff and let them in so she got most of our weekly shop which came to £31 as we're only putting the usual stuff on the shopping list and not stock piling.

I do wonder if some people are still stockpiling as on a more normal thursday morning the supermarket would be reasonably quiet yet today there's a long queue at 08:00. I also wonder where people who are stockpiling are putting it all.

If it's the same as round here, they are limiting the amount of people they are allowing in at any one time, so it's one in and one out, makes for the queues

If it's the same as round here, they are limiting the amount of people they are allowing in at any one time, so it's one in and one out, makes for the queues

I hope the panic buying and stocking up does get under control otherwise there's going to be a lot of stuff going in the bin when it goes off.

Can't get any delivery slots for any supermarket here, so shortly will be a case of having to go out or starve.

Can't get any delivery slots for any supermarket here, so shortly will be a case of having to go out or starve.
Same here but fortunately have family are getting for us ... would much prefer that they didn't have to though.
I subscribed to the Tesco Delivery Saver trial a month ago, I will not have been able to use the trial as there has never been a slot available ... must find out how to cancel it before it renews and I have to start paying!

Another one here - no slots available any supermarket - Sainsburys say they will give priority to elderly and disabled, I'm 80 and wife same age and disabled also a Sainsburys customer and card holder but can't get reply via phone or site!! CEO Mike sends me e-mails telling us how he's going to prioritise elderly etc but can't reply to his e-mails!! - No idea how to contact them!

Just been to our local Sainsbury’. Shop assistant was counting customers in and out, but no queuing at all. As we were getting items off the shelf, people were still coming too close. Twice I had to say ” can you keep your distance please” all I got was a roll of the eyes or well hurry up !

Just been to my local Waitrose which is about five minutes walk up the road
Orderly queue outside apart from old people not seeming to know what 2 metres is.
Leaving requisite space between people in the queue so oldies think its ok to walk through the gap

One in and one out of the shop, disinfected trolleys waiting to be used.
Good stock of milk, butter, cheese and meat, but no eggs, frozen veg, rice or flour, some bread and plentiful beer

One worry for us is that we couldn't get a prescription fulfilled and my sister was told to come back when we "only have two or three left." I normally try to get a new prescription filled when we only have a weeks supply left as this gives us some wriggle room if they're out of stock and we need to go back another day. Waiting until we only have two or three days left could mean we run out.

We're near a school field, the school is apparently shut, and yesterday there were kids playing football but I suppose they could all have been members of the same large family all living together.

Just taken our dogs out for a stroll, quiet but had one idiot, wanting to walk inches away from us, after we were cleaning up after the hounds.. Thankfully we finished and could swiftly get across the road before he got too near. But will, notice on the park, "Play Area Closed". Nice and bold you'd think. But no mum and children playing on the kit in the play area!

For goodness sack....

Perhaps, the gov should extend fines to if parents are caught allowing their children to play on the play equipment then it's a fine of £30 for each child, and a mark on a register of stupid parents!

Just taken our dogs out for a stroll, quiet but had one idiot, wanting to walk inches away from us, after we were cleaning up after the hounds.. Thankfully we finished and could swiftly get across the road before he got too near. But will, notice on the park, "Play Area Closed". Nice and bold you'd think. But no mum and children playing on the kit in the play area!

For goodness sack....

Perhaps, the gov should extend fines to if parents are caught allowing their children to play on the play equipment then it's a fine of £30 for each child, and a mark on a register of stupid parents!

Why did the child go into the play area ?

To get to the other slide :coat:

Bleeding electric cooker oven has decided to pack in just when wife had prepared dough for baking bread! Time for a new cooker probably but not sure whether to let people in to deliver and install!

Well it looks like the bread has come out OK using the small secondary oven instead of the main fan oven. Have sent off for a replacement element - have changed it before and had a hell of a job - but needs must :)

Our old oven element could be changed in 20 minutes, without pulling it away from the wall. The current one took the repair man 2 hours (and he's a mate so wasn't dragging the job out as long as possible!) It's still not a difficult job but needs covers removing rather than just being 2 screws and a pair of connectors.

I remember it took me ages last time - the element is on the back wall of the oven and I was at full stretch on the floor. I was in agony for days after - back ache etc.

Yorkshire police are setting up mobile road side checks to find out why drivers are out and about.

Just read online they have started it here (Grimsby)

For goodness sack....

It isn't possible to control every area. Our advice has been to tape play areas off, and photograph it to prove you have.

The world is full of idiots. I'm off on here to find a thread about the twitchers that today descended on Gloucestershire to photograph some kid of bird.

Back