Over 70's to be asked to self-isolate - how will you pursue your hobby?

My point is that people do have to go out for essential supplies, not just the vulnerable
are you saying we should all stay in to protect people who are in the high risk category in case they decide to stop moaning and go out ?
Round here we have a good scheme organised where people are prepared to go and get shopping etc for others that are more vulnerable, streets aren't exactly crowded so we take that risk to help others

My point is that I think that people should only go out and in doing so risk being infected or risk infecting others for a very good reason. That should have been clear enough and on rereading I'm sure it is.

I don't think you've been clear which is why I asked for clarification. You seemed to question my view that if we go out we're potentially putting people at risk but later seem to be agreeing but with the rather needless petulant comment about "moaning" thrown in, God knows why. Just seems like a needless and stupid remark to make. I hope you understand the gravity of all this.

I see its the new 5G thats spreading it :eek:

Social media say a bike ride from Scunthorpe to Cleethorpes is being organized, riders will be two abreast with two mt between them spaced out at two mt intervals, so whats new

laughter-really-is-the-best-medicine-L-rfO6kp.jpg

Honestly , if you didn't laugh, you'd cry!

Just to put things into perspective, this makes interesting reading about staying at home.

It would be interesting to see if the statistics have gone up, putting the NHS under more pressure because there's more people at home.

https://www.rospa.com/Home-Safety/Advice/General/Facts-and-Figures

And a copy and paste for those that don't/won't click the link

Facts and figures

• More accidents happen at home than anywhere else
  • Every year there are approximately 6,000 deaths as the result of a home accident
  • More than two million children under the age of 15 experience accidents in and around the home every year, for which they are taken to accident and emergency units
  • Children under the age of five and people over 65 (particularly those over 75) are most likely to have an accident at home
  • Over 76,000 children under the age of 14 are admitted for treatment of which over 40% are under 5 years of age
  • Falls are the most common accidents, which can cause serious injury at any time of life. The risk increases with age
  • More women than men over the age of 65 die as the result of an accident in the home
  • Every year over 62 children under 14 die as a result of an accident in the home
  • Around 25,000 under-fives attend A&E departments each year after being accidentally poisoned
  • An average of 13 children a day under the age of 4 suffer a severe injury from a burn or a scald. A hot drink can still scald a small child up to 15 minutes after it is made
  • More accidents happen in the lounge/living room than anywhere else in the home.
  • Every year more than 4,200 children are involved in falls on the stairs and 4,000 children under the age of 15 are injured falling from windows
  • Boys have more accidents than girls
  • The cost to society of UK home accident injuries has been estimated at £45.63billion (£45,630million) annually.

It is interesting reading, but I'm not sure how it puts things into perspective?
I'd imagine the figs may well go up, particularly if more DIY is getting done :)
I'd hope the government will have considered this scenario.

Last edited:
by being on the road when they don't need to be they increase the risks of a crash or a breakdown, which may then put others at risk

It was aimed at this, that seems to keep getting banded about

I wondered about this Phil,ok mate i'm wondering on a lot of things,mainly why so many folks are bitchiin at each other but hey what's new. Jees do we really have to bash old folks now can't we just show a bit of care for 'em ok and take the p*** miserable old gits:LOL:,but seriously...................really?

Phil the NHS was at breaking point before all this I can't see another way bar, having an efficient gov, of surpressing viral spread by us keeping apart from each other , so I guess what you have posted is the lesser of two evils but yup it's not going to help . We need mass testing antibody tests but our gov can't even supply PPE i've worked in some hairy situations with the NHS staff gods and angles all sold down the river here mate!! It sort of reminds me of a speed awareness corse where they do ya for being slightly over the limit then tell you how dangerous it is to speed then tell you the safest place to drive is a motorway;)

The trouble is even the experts are struggling referring back to your earlier post ,so it's not surprising joe public is getting confused. A couple of nights back we were watching about the 2M rule plausibly not being enough . That's sort of a fundamental that gov have been instilling in us from when this mayhem started.. We need cold hard data on this virus a hell of a lot more than Oh we think it can survive for 72hours on a hard surface and you are safe if you are two M apart

Mate first line that's it we can't be crying, have to keep our heads up . This little marvel of nature is going to kick us for a while,folks are moaning after a week of being cooped up and a bit of struggle to buy food, What's it going to be like in a few months time . We might have these great infrastructures in place to move it all ,but who's picking it all in Spain or Italy for example?

Bob our gov doesn't really have a choice ha or a bloody clue, So to me no they aren't considering they are simply chasing their tails playing catch up

lads take care

stu

It was aimed at this, that seems to keep getting banded about
It's not really the same.

A road traffic accident is likely to bring about more interaction with more people than an accident in the home. And you are still going to be out of the house exercising or dog walking for a period of time (reducing risks of an accident in the home), even if it might be less time than it would be from driving somewhere first.

The points made about the additional risks of driving somewhere to exercise, rather than walking somewhere, were aimed at countering the idea that there were no additional risks of spreading the virus from driving somewhere to exercise.

But of course, the risk of an accident isn't the only reason to avoid driving places for exercise if we are trying to reduce the risks of spreading the virus.

The points made about the additional risks of driving somewhere to exercise, rather than walking somewhere, were aimed at countering the idea that there were no additional risks of spreading the virus from driving somewhere to exercise.

No.

The concept of motorists causing a greater burden to the emergency services was invented by certain police forces as a reason for stopping drivers and questioning them.

It has absolutely no factual foundation and is pretty much hot air.

Following 'advice' from the NPCC, that practice has now stopped but the discussions on social media still continue.

It has absolutely no factual foundation and is pretty much hot air.

I disagree, there are additional risks from driving somewhere to exercise, or for walking a dog when compared to walking directly from home. It doesn't need a police force to invent them as they clearly exist. Having an accident is only one of the additional risks.

e.g. a list I produced for an earlier post:

Increased visits to petrol stations, increased risk of contact

Increased risks of road traffic accidents, with increased risks of contact, including potential increased pressure on health services. And you might just have an accident with an ICU doctor on their way to work, or some other key worker.

Increased congestion for emergency vehicles to negotiate.

Car break down needing to call out car rescue services, increasing risk of contact

Risks of attempted car break-in leaving car door handle contaminated.

Increased pressure on ambulance/rescue services if called out to more distant casualties.

I would argue the additional risks are small, but when we are trying to minimise all risks of spreading the virus, they still should still be considered, before getting in your car to walk your dog or take exercise.

Risks of walking along a pavement:

Bumping in to joggers who don't distance, leading to increased contact.

Increased risk of leg injury by tripping over badly laid paving stones requiring medical attention.

Increased congestion of traffic caused by pedestrians social distancing by walking in the middle of the road (yes - that is really happening).

Increased risk of being a victim of street robbery.

Increased pressure on emergency services if you walk too far away from accessible roadways.

See. You can make up any old b*****ks for any given situation showing an increased risk. It is still b*****ks though.

Risks of walking along a pavement:

Bumping in to joggers who don't distance, leading to increased contact.

Increased risk of leg injury by tripping over badly laid paving stones requiring medical attention.

Increased congestion of traffic caused by pedestrians social distancing by walking in the middle of the road (yes - that is really happening).

Increased risk of being a victim of street robbery.

Increased pressure on emergency services if you walk too far away from accessible roadways.

See. You can make up any old b*****ks for any given situation showing an increased risk. It is still b*****ks though.

Most of those risks, or equivalents, could well still exist at the site you have driven to, and you are still adding the risk of a car journey.

However, I see that decision as being part of your personal risk assessment. I f you have assessed the risks and consider you have a reasonable excuse to drive somewhere for exercise or for walking your dog, then that is your decision. Someone on this thread (I think) has already mentioned the difficulties they have in walking on their nearby pavements because of how poorly they are maintained but can walk in their nearby park, a short drive away, which seems a perfectly reasonable argument for driving somewhere for exercise.

But as a generalisation, I still can't see any argument that driving somewhere isn't increasing risks compared to walking from home.

Ok ime old, well 71 but i do wonder if some of the comments on here about my group could be made about Gay or Black people to name but two groups and been considered ok.
Perhaps 'Last Of The Summer Wine' should be regarded with the same retrospective disdain as 'The Black And White Minstrel Show' in that case? ;)

Last edited:
Thought this puts it in perspective.......
(taken off FB)

Terry Waite, 1763 days as a hostage in appalling conditions.
He just told us all to stop complaining!
Change your mindset he said, you're not STUCK at home,you're SAFE at home ❤️ #TerryWaite
His advice:
*Keep your own dignity - get out of your PJs!
*Form a structure for the day
*Be grateful for what you have - shelter, home, possessions
*Read and be creative

Sage advice.

From one that knows

Haven't seen a postie for over a week!

Get the feeling no one loves you :D (sorry)
I don't get much post either, but have been ordering a few things for a neighbour, books etc.
I had a chat with the postie last time, ex colleague and apparently that are classed as frontline
so no plans to shut the service down, but obviously if the volumes drop they may have less staff deliving
if they double up deliveries

Get the feeling no one loves you :D (sorry)
I don't get much post either, but have been ordering a few things for a neighbour, books etc.
I had a chat with the postie last time, ex colleague and apparently that are classed as frontline
so no plans to shut the service down, but obviously if the volumes drop they may have less staff deliving
if they double up deliveries

Always! :)

Had deliveries from Amazon etc but not even seen a Royal Mail van.

Postie came today! :jawdrop:

Magazine I cancelled 4 years ago and a bank statement.

Whilst I fully support the RM and the job that they are doing, you have to laugh at the
irony of the service counter times.

First Post (always before 9AM) hasn't been delivered in decades.

Round here they haven't even left for delivery by then !!!
It's always baffled me as to why our collections shut at 1pm normally and yet most posties aren't back in the yard till gone 2pm
so any failed items won't be there

The advantage of living in a rural area... My postie lives round the corner, if there's a failed delivery for me, he takes it home & sends me a text and he either drops it off or I pick it up. If I tell him I'm expecting something urgent he'll text me to let me know it's available for pick up at the DO.

It's always baffled me as to why our collections shut at 1pm normally and yet most posties aren't back in the yard till gone 2pm

I still find it hard to understand that, despite the huge advances in technology, the delivery of the mail has actually become significantly slower.

Out in the North Wales boonies our delivery is always around 09.30hrs, the postie always has a quick chat (at 2m distance now). That said if he didn't have all the chats we'd most likely have pre 09.00hrs deliveries:)

GC

The RM posties used to start at 5am and head out on the streets by around 7 - 7:30 but since the unfair composition introduced by the regulator there have been so many changes early deliveries are a thing of the past. I once posted a letter on my way to work (9am start) and it was delivered on the second delivery(about 10:15).

Posties & collection drivers worked different hours and most posties were home before drivers started but again that has changed. I don't know the changes made since 2007 but for what I have heard they have made the PM a worse place to work.

Most of the posties do their best and the blame lies with management.

I still find it hard to understand that, despite the huge advances in technology, the delivery of the mail has actually become significantly slower.

It's called saving money so the shareholders get a dividend
Delivery people were starting later and later by the time I left it was getting close to 8am
They stopped the early starts because they had to pay unsociable rates
When I left 18 months ago, there s]was talk of stopping afternoon collections and all boxes would be emptied by delivery drivers on their rounds in the morning. The post box near me used to have a last collection at 4pm, now it's 9am,but not often
emptied until later in the morning

Exactly right. In some areas rounds had almost doubled in size and for the majority probably 1.4x. Since they brought in the mini-startburst system (startburst failed) it's now 2 rounds from one vehicle

Not atm,, on;y one person in a van

Posties & collection drivers worked different hours and most posties were home before drivers started but again that has changed. I don't know the changes made since 2007 but for what I have heard they have made the PM a worse place to work.

Not in rural areas, posties also do the collections,

Not atm,, on;y one person in a van

Not in rural areas, posties also do the collections,
That's been the case for many 20 or more years although back then they were supposed to complete their deliveries before starting the collections back then. I can well imagine that those posties have had the size of their rounds increase though.

It's called saving money so the shareholders get a dividend
Delivery people were starting later and later by the time I left it was getting close to 8am
They stopped the early starts because they had to pay unsociable rates
When I left 18 months ago, there s]was talk of stopping afternoon collections and all boxes would be emptied by delivery drivers on their rounds in the morning. The post box near me used to have a last collection at 4pm, now it's 9am,but not often
emptied until later in the morning

I left in2007, I was on a partime (25hrs) 'pressure' (relieve pressure from adjacent rounds) round. I carried more mail, had more calls and usually finished later than the fulltime rounds in my section. Other posties didn't like my round because it was so heavy compared to their's, Then they added another 100 drops on to it.

Back