Over 70's to be asked to self-isolate - how will you pursue your hobby?

The latest news on restrictions

Downing Street also confirmed that the planned review into whether the UK's coronavirus restrictions could be eased would not go ahead this Monday.

Thanks. Can't say I'm shocked.

One slightly worrying report in a newspaper is tension growing between the treasury and the health dept, i guess one wants us to make financial sacrifices the other the ultimate sacrifice

New problem for this area, the first care home has reported infections, a lot of the staff who are not NHS but just care workers have said they will not go to work

New problem for this area, the first care home has reported infections, a lot of the staff who are not NHS but just care workers have said they will not go to work

So they'll bring in 'bank' staff and spread it around. :(

Donn't know if it's the same in your area, but round here care hoes shut down to visitors before
the lock down so there is a fair chance that a carter bought it into the home.
My daughter is a carer so on the front line, she wants to be there looking after people that need her,
knows the risks but will carry on, but you can't blame those that feel unable to

So they'll bring in 'bank' staff and spread it around. :(

My stepdaughter is a NHS manager in some form of adult care she was tasked with looking at situations like this and sorting plans out a few weeks ago,at the moment she has volunteers from her area (social workers etc) on a volunteer list but obviously not that many.

Donn't know if it's the same in your area, but round here care hoes shut down to visitors before
the lock down so there is a fair chance that a carter bought it into the home.
My daughter is a carer so on the front line, she wants to be there looking after people that need her,
knows the risks but will carry on, but you can't blame those that feel unable to

Unfortunately, a lot of the jobs like these are filled by married women who work nights etc while their husbands are at home to child mind, without any disrespect its not a vocation its a bill-paying exercise so i wonder if you can blame them for not wanting to risk it.

Unfortunately, a lot of the jobs like these are filled by married women who work nights etc while their husbands are at home to child mind, without any disrespect its not a vocation its a bill-paying exercise so i wonder if you can blame them for not wanting to risk it.

I think that's what I said, it's a personal choice that they can make and who can blame them if the chose not to put themselves in danger

I think that's what I said, it's a personal choice that they can make and who can blame them if the chose not to put themselves in danger
Meaning no disrespect to carers & the like it has always been my view that if you take a job (whatever the reason) then you accept all the conditions that come with it. A carer is employed to care for those within their care in ALL situations where care is required. They should not be put in unnecessary danger but that does not mean they can opt out of caring for those with infections. They should be provided with adequate PPE and if not then of course they should then have the option not to because of personal risk.

I say this as I have worked within the NHS (and other companies) and my job entailed doing things that could put me at risk, I was provided with what was considered to be adequate PPE to do the job and adequate facilities to clean up after. This did on occasion involve working within ward environments that were under lockdown due to norovirus. or patients with MRSA etc. Working in the NHS for me wasn't a vocation, it was a job which I tried to do to the best of my abilities and took pride in that fact.

As in every job I have had I have had the right to withdraw labour if I was unhappy with any aspect of the work I was employed to do, it was called 'handing my notice in'. I also exercised my rights not to do work outside of my contract, I said 'NO' in terms that they could not mis-understand.

In all my working life I have never been made to do/expected to do any work/told to do (except the once I refused point blank to do) anything beyond what the job entailed..

Meaning no disrespect to carers & the like it has always been my view that if you take a job (whatever the reason) then you accept all the conditions that come with it. A carer is employed to care for those within their care in ALL situations where care is required. They should not be put in unnecessary danger but that does not mean they can opt out of caring for those with infections. They should be provided with adequate PPE and if not then of course they should then have the option not to because of personal risk.

I say this as I have worked within the NHS (and other companies) and my job entailed doing things that could put me at risk, I was provided with what was considered to be adequate PPE to do the job and adequate facilities to clean up after. This did on occasion involve working within ward environments that were under lockdown due to norovirus. or patients with MRSA etc. Working in the NHS for me wasn't a vocation, it was a job which I tried to do to the best of my abilities and took pride in that fact.

As in every job I have had I have had the right to withdraw labour if I was unhappy with any aspect of the work I was employed to do, it was called 'handing my notice in'. I also exercised my rights not to do work outside of my contract, I said 'NO' in terms that they could not mis-understand.

In all my working life I have never been made to do/expected to do any work/told to do (except the once I refused point blank to do) anything beyond what the job entailed..
I dare say when you worked in the NHS and had to undertake tasks that put you at risk you were not getting paid minimum wage...

I don’t entirely disagree but, particularly at the lower end of the pay scales, many don’t have much freedom of choice.

I was listening to WatO and someone in the care "industry" was saying that even where/when they can, they have to (unlike the NHS) pay the VAT and on a spend on PPE of £8000 per month for I think she said enough PPE for 9 staff the VAT added markedly to her/their increased expenditure!

PS as far as I recall, she also said that the care industry have only been told that masks & aprons are all that is required with the 'usual' gloves. But what about the necessity for goggles being included as a matter of routine?

Last edited:

There isn't enough PPE for carers, most my daughter has issued is gloves and a basic face mask
Also remember that they are on minimum wage with zero hours, so if they don't go to work they don't get paid,
so it's not a decision many will take lightly but if they have a family then they have to come first

Last edited:
This would be a real tough choice if I was still a care worker...........,one lives hand to mouth barely scrapes the monthly bills. I did it for around 9/10 years It's a hard job. You throw everything you have to try and make the cared for have a better quality of life but go home to constant money worries. I think the facet of my lady being vunerable coupled with possible lack of PPE would clinch it for me that would be the point I'd walk away from the job ,but it's such a tough call to make . I don't envy carers at this time. A strange industry: the public value carers it shocked me when I started how many folks ( total strangers, the man in the street) would bend over backwards to help me help another But that wage is crippling. These guys will be unable to pay bills almost instantly they stop work they won't have any financial back up ,

If my cared for guy was in a hairy phase ( ie risk of something really bad happening) I'd just keep working though holiday days off just head down use that knowledge about him to help the NHS,god knows how one makes a choice between his life and family. That may sound mellow dramatic ,but carers have that mindset of them (cared for) first, they need me, I have to work .
there will be no easy choices here.:(

stu

I think the vast majority of carers are brilliant, I certainly couldn't do their job and am extremely grateful for the care they gave my mother and are still giving to my mother in law. They are worth a lot more than they get. They do a very important job in spite of the low wage and IMHO no one does their job 'just for the money'.

While PPE was always available there were occasions where for the dignity of the patient we were asked not to work wearing masks, gowns & gloves although the choice was ours.It was my choice to respect their dignity and not wear the above except in private areas when close contact was necessary.

Care homes in my area also stopped visitors except in EOL situations before the lockdown but that didn't prevent the MIL from testing positive after catching covid19 from a carer according to carehome staff.

I used to play in a guitar harmony duo regularly in Care Homes, we ended doing gigs back in March before the lockdown. Things are difficult at the moment yet there are stupid idiots that can't abide by simple rules, makes my blood boil. I miss not being able to entertain the Care Home residents, but entertained my neighbours in their gardens this afternoon with a instrumental concert, to help alleviate the frustration.

Watching an interview with Matt Hancock this morning, and later news on care homes, seems Public Health's attitude
towards equipment and testing, even when there are cases among the residents
"It is what it is" and put the phone down, is it surprising carers are walking out

Watching an interview with Matt Hancock this morning, and later news on care homes, seems Public Health's attitude
towards equipment and testing, even when there are cases among the residents
"It is what it is" and put the phone down, is it surprising carers are walking out

Under normal circumstances this would of course be a terrible response but are we in 'normal circumstances'?
Shortages of everything worldwide due to everyone being affected by the pandemic and trying to get their hands on supplies ... US reportedly hijacking supplies of face masks etc: See Here
What would be your solution?

No solution but care workers are front line and being headlined because they won't go to work. There would outcry
if the those in need of care not in care homes. were just left in their homes alone
Public health has promised testing kits, which I do understand may not be there, but that reply and putting the phone down is totally unacceptable, whoever said needs to do some training in customer relations

Board up the houses with ALL occupants inside.

Greater Manchester Police warning after 660 parties shut down

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-52221688

Should we start a petition to allow shooting idiots :mad:
I think a minimum of 150 hours community service upon conviction for serious offenders, commencing as soon as lockdown finishes on each and every Saturday until the sentence is served would probably be more of a Judgement of Solomon? If they can't behave in their free time it should be taken off them, and the community should benefit from the litter picking, weed clearing, etc. that they'd be made to do. The fine should start at £150 too, or 40 hours community service if they can't/won't pay. I think the current £30 fine is a bit of a joke really.

Under normal circumstances this would of course be a terrible response but are we in 'normal circumstances'?
Shortages of everything worldwide due to everyone being affected by the pandemic and trying to get their hands on supplies ... US reportedly hijacking supplies of face masks etc: See Here
What would be your solution?

Re: that guardian article ~ the quote attributed to the US state department of 'it was not them' possibly falls into the category of "plausible deniability"!

The idiots that want shooting are the kids that think it is funny to have a mate video them in a supermarket coughing & sneezing near people.

A man in Christchurch has been arrested for doing the same thing. https://www.msn.com/en-nz/news/nati...-supermarket-customers/ar-BB12aAvn?li=BBqdg4K

Let's hope our out of touch justice system starts dolling out the penalties that the public expect and the lawbreakers & idiots expect. Turn up the heat and melt the snowflakes once & for all.

edited to add.

There was one idiot who after shouting who's afraid of coronavirus licked several packages of cleaning products on a supermarket shelf, a duscusting action at any time let alone during a pandemic.

Last edited:
The fine should start at £150

My personal opinion £1,000.00 minimum fine per person plus a £1,000.00 fine (paid by the guardian) of any children present, & name and shame the adults.

\just ban kids from shops, as they are saying only one adult to do the shopping the other could be looking after the kids at home

The idiots that want shooting are the kids that think it is funny to have a mate video them in a supermarket coughing & sneezing near people.

A man in Christchurch has been arrested for doing the same thing. https://www.msn.com/en-nz/news/nati...-supermarket-customers/ar-BB12aAvn?li=BBqdg4K

Let's hope our out of touch justice system starts dolling out the penalties that the public expect and the lawbreakers & idiots expect. Turn up the heat and melt the snowflakes once & for all.

edited to add.

There was one idiot who after shouting who's afraid of coronavirus licked several packages of cleaning products on a supermarket shelf, a duscusting action at any time let alone during a pandemic.

Birch them, they'll not do it again in a hurry:)

GC

edited to add.

Inject the f***ers with the virus....

Back