Over 70's to be asked to self-isolate - how will you pursue your hobby?

Current cooker is dual fuel - might just get a cheapish electric cooker for the time being.

We did something similar, it lasted 10 years.

Current cooker is dual fuel - might just get a cheapish electric cooker for the time being.

Yep don't mess with gas ... as a young PC I attended the Coroner's Court for a case where a woman had died of gas poisoning after her son had carried out a temporary repair on her appliance. :(

Coal gas was (well, still is but isn't used these days!) poisonous but natural gas isn't. Since the late '60s the UK has used natural gas. Both types make a big bang if there's a leak. DON'T mess with it!

Press briefing today showed that motor vehicle traffic had taken a sharp upturn from the previously falling numbers.
It's only been a week and it could be 3 months or more! :police:

Press briefing today showed that motor vehicle traffic had taken a sharp upturn from the previously falling numbers.
It's only been a week and it could be 3 months or more! :police:

Possibly because supermarkets are asking that those able to go into stores to do their shopping and free up delivery slots for those that need them.
For me that's a 5 mile trip so I have to use the car, can't carry the shopping home
I went to Tesco today, first time for a couple of weeks and it wasn't that overcrowded, didn't realise it was just before the allotted for the vulnerable and they arrived in swarms dead on 9am some thinking the could walk straight in and not join the long queue that was forming, those of us already in the queue were allowed in
I am sorry to say that the older people were worst behaved, standing in the middle of aisle while blocking them with the trolleys, pushing in to get things,
Now I know the system I won't be clashing with them again

Possibly because supermarkets are asking that those able to go into stores to do their shopping and free up delivery slots for those that need them.
For me that's a 5 mile trip so I have to use the car, can't carry the shopping home
I went to Tesco today, first time for a couple of weeks and it wasn't that overcrowded, didn't realise it was just before the allotted for the vulnerable and they arrived in swarms dead on 9am some thinking the could walk straight in and not join the long queue that was forming, those of us already in the queue were allowed in
I am sorry to say that the older people were worst behaved, standing in the middle of aisle while blocking them with the trolleys, pushing in to get things,

Exactly what I have found with the old behaving very badly and having no respect for others.
Ignoring the 2m rule repeatedly, pushing in and grabbing at things, not any different to usual really

Last edited:
Exactly what I have found with the old behaving very badly and having no respect for others.
Ignoring the 2m rule repeatedly, pushing in and grabbing at things, not any different to usual really
Yep that’s what I found last time we went shopping

I found the same on Monday while doing the shopping for my 80 year old mum. I put it down to some elderly people being a bit confused and not knowing the system, rather than them being deliberately ignorant.

Coal gas was (well, still is but isn't used these days!) poisonous but natural gas isn't. Since the late '60s the UK has used natural gas. Both types make a big bang if there's a leak. DON'T mess with it!

I wouldn't be that complacent about it. Natural gas is as lethal as CO and CO2 when it comes to causing suffocation by oxygen displacement.
The big difference is that it's lighter than air whereas the other two gases above are heavier.

I found the same on Monday while doing the shopping for my 80 year old mum. I put it down to some elderly people being a bit confused and not knowing the system, rather than them being deliberately ignorant.

I wouldn't get too vexed about it, according to the latest ethical guidance from the BMA the elderly will be considered expendable when it comes to victims of the virus needing ventilators, so the young will go straight to the front of the queue.

It used to be the old saying the young behaving very badly and having no respect for others. How times change.

I'm one of the over 70 brigade and must say that I have never seen that sort of behaviour by old people. Maybe we are different in Wales? ;)

I'm afraid my opinion of old people is they have a tendency to become very child like, selfish, demanding etc as they age, so I expect this is another example.

Yes you’re probably right there

I'm afraid my opinion of old people is they have a tendency to become very child like, selfish, demanding etc as they age, so I expect this is another example.

Another one on the ignored list (y)

Reactions: Sky
It used to be the old saying the young behaving very badly and having no respect for others. How times change.

I'm one of the over 70 brigade and must say that I have never seen that sort of behaviour by old people. Maybe we are different in Wales? ;)

It was embarrassing here with the oap's after Christmas squabbling over the reduced Rover assortment boxed biscuits.
They had to impose a limit on purchases per person, some very mean spirited oldies out there.

You only have to hear the young being denounced as useless snowflakes by the older generation
Boot on the other foot with this virus outbreak, youngsters don't seem too hung up about it at all

Good old Saga they have sent me a text to tell me that during this difficult time they have a good selection of life insurance policies on offer, just what i wanted to know
facepalm.gif

My late ma was one of the kindest and generous people you could ever wish to meet
Even she got a bit selfish and petty in her latter years, never got to the "I've paid in all my life" stage thankfully.

Hope I don't end up like it, who knows though, maybe we all do unwittingly

Last edited:
Good old Saga they have sent me a text to tell me that during this difficult time they have a good selection of life insurance policies on offer, just what i wanted to know
View attachment 273780
I'm guessing they don't include CoronaVirus as an insured risk?

I don't understand why you are sticking your nose in - if you're bored go and do something useful.

Sticking my nose in? I'm merely commenting on a thread that I'm following. Much as you did in post #497.

And probably contributing about as much value.

Derbyshire police notice put on cars

As a Police Force they have conducted themselves in a disgraceful manner thus far. Some of their tactics compared to other forces has been far too disproportionate and has been called out by a previous supreme court judge and the IOPC...

As a Police Force they have conducted themselves in a disgraceful manner thus far. Some of their tactics compared to other forces has been far too disproportionate and has been called out by a previous supreme court judge and the IOPC...
I think other forces have been too soft on people not following the rules/guidance.
Near where I live folks have been using their cars unnecessarily to drive for exercise and dog walking.
When I've been out on my daily exercise, walking/cycling from my house, I've seen folks sitting in their cars at the beach car parks with their engines running drinking flasks of tea/coffee.
If they end up getting fined, then that their own fault, and they shouldn't be whinging about the police tactics.

Last edited:
If any one is short of drugs come to Grimsby

Capture.JPG

I think other forces have been too soft on people not following the rules/guidance.
Near where I live folks have been using their cars unnecessarily to drive for exercise and dog walking.
When I've been out on my daily exercise, walking/cycling from my house, I've seen folks sitting in their cars at the beach car parks with their engines running drinking flasks of tea/coffee.
If they end up getting fined, then that their own fault, and they shouldn't be whinging about the police tactics.
Yep we walked to the local open space which is popular with dog walkers the ones I saw all drove their to walk their dogs
It’s really annoying as I would love to drive to a nature reserve for the butterflies but I’m not I’m obeying the rules but it’s frustrating when quite a few I see go out in their car to walk their dogs

Our road was a venue for an impromptu meeting of scrambler bikes yesterday afternoon!

Yep we walked to the local open space which is popular with dog walkers the ones I saw all drove their to walk their dogs
It’s really annoying as I would love to drive to a nature reserve for the butterflies but I’m not I’m obeying the rules but it’s frustrating when quite a few I see go out in their car to walk their dogs
Yeah, there's another area near me, where I could easily spend a few hours taking photos and not see anyone else, but I'd need to drive there, about 2 miles. when I'm out for a cycle I see at least 6-10 cars parked along the roadside where folks have parked and walked onto the beach, some with their dogs. The place I could walk is in the opposite direction, away from the beach, but I wouldn't do it.

Last edited:
The problem is, nothing is clear and its all open to individual interpretation. People are reading and listening to too much social media.

Nowhere, on any official government website, can I find where it say you can't drive in your car to exercise as long as you stay within the guidelines and advice

Taken from the government web sites frequently ask questions

14. Can I drive to a national park or other green space to walk?

We advise you to stay local and use open spaces near to your home where possible – do not travel unnecessarily.

You can still go to the park for outdoor exercise once a day but only by yourself or within your household, not in groups.

We ask you to keep 2 metres apart from others outside your household at all times when outdoors.

Local--- definition taken from the Collins dictionary ......

Local means existing in or belonging to the area where you live or to the area that you are talking about.

Travel--- definition taken from Collins dictionary......

make a journey, typically of some length.

Now taken again from the Gov. website.....

The police will act with discretion and common sense in applying these measures and we expect the public to act responsibly, staying at home in order to save lives.

do not travel unnecessarily.
Is it necessary for all these folk to take their cars to the beach?
I doubt it.
I'm sure They all know they're not following Govenment guidelines and are taking advantage of the fact it doesn't specifically say don't take your car
Unfortunately the government assumed we were all sensible, mature adults ....

Last edited:
Is it necessary for all these folk to take their cars to the beach?
I doubt it.

But if they live local, where does it say they can't?

I'm not looking to get into any arguments here Bob, just trying to say that its not clear

But if they live local, where does it say they can't?

I'm not looking to get into any arguments here Bob, just trying to say that its not clear
It doesn't, that's the problem.
I'm agreeing with you regarding it's not clear, but sensible people know they shouldn't be doing it without it specifically saying not to drive.

but sensible people know they shouldn't be doing it without it
Cue Diogenes and his lamp looking for an honest man. It seems they're much easier to find than a sensible one. :sulk:

but sensible people know they shouldn't be doing it without it specifically saying not to drive.

Sensible people or people under social media pressure thinking they shouldn't be driving?.........don't forget, if these people live local to the beach, keep 2 mtrs apart and aren't in groups of more than 2 people, unless of the same house hold, what are they doing wrong?, what law are they breaking?

It doesn't, that's the problem.
I'm agreeing with you regarding it's not clear, but sensible people know they shouldn't be doing it without it specifically saying not to drive.
A small amount of common sense is required, oh I see the problem :)

Sensible people or people under social media pressure thinking they shouldn't be driving?.........don't forget, if these people live local to the beach, keep 2 mtrs apart and aren't in groups of more than 2 people, unless of the same house hold, what are they doing wrong?, what law are they breaking?
I've already said that they're not breaking any laws.

Back