Over the shoulder

Very nice portrait style capture Gav, with some nice lighting.

This is yet another very nicely taken image of Em, liking the slight tilt of her head with good eye focus. I'm not a portrait photographer at all but someone might pop in and disagree with me, it is a good image of Em but for me I think it's just a bit to bright, maybe try and darken it :thinking:. On Em taking brave pills, I think she is a natural at this.

Last edited:
Very nice portrait style capture Gav, with some nice lighting.
Thank you, George (y)

This is yet another very nicely taken image of Em, liking the slight tilt of her head with good eye focus. I'm not a portrait photographer at all but someone might pop in and disagree with me, it is a good image of Em but for me I think it's just a bit to bright, maybe try and darken it :thinking:. On Em taking brave pills, I think she is a natural at this.
Thank you, Dave, Em is very shy and lacks self confidence with her body and looks, she never likes skin on show, it was a real shock to see her like this let alone in front of a bloody camera! :LOL:
I've done a few edits, after feedback from other images I thought I'd try brighter, I've added one below, lowered brightness & highlights a smidge (y)
Thank you for the feedback, I'll the compliment to Em :)

I really like it, Gav. The background has just enough of a splash of light to separate Em too.
Thank you, Dean, really appreciate it (y)

Slight edit on my phone.

Emma Darken.
by Gavin Wickham, on Flickr

Thank you, George (y)

Thank you, Dave, Em is very shy and lacks self confidence with her body and looks, she never likes skin on show, it was a real shock to see her like this let alone in front of a bloody camera! :LOL:
I've done a few edits, after feedback from other images I thought I'd try brighter, I've added one below, lowered brightness & highlights a smidge (y)
Thank you for the feedback, I'll the compliment to Em :)

Thank you, Dean, really appreciate it (y)

Slight edit on my phone.

Emma Darken. by Gavin Wickham, on Flickr

Very nice, IMO the more you both do this portrait the more confidence you both get to keep, so it's a win win.

Very nice, IMO the more you both do this portrait the more confidence you both get to keep, so it's a win win.
Cheers Dave, it is (y)
Thank you for chipping in, I always appreciate crit (y)

Hi Gav just a question for you, on the self portraits what lighting did you use and where did you place the lighting ?
I never stop tinkering, so not 100%, but 2 speedlights, facing rear, RH was bounced of rear right corner wall at Em's height, LH was lower power setting bounced of upper left wall/ceiling.

I've got a new light (mains studio flash) and a softbox now, so looking to get this nailed.

I never stop tinkering, so not 100%, but 2 speedlights, facing rear, RH was bounced of rear right corner wall at Em's height, LH was lower power setting bounced of upper left wall/ceiling.

I've got a new light (mains studio flash) and a softbox now, so looking to get this nailed.

Cheers mate, I have been having a look at the images that you first shot of your self and thought Well I've got one flash and then a lencarta flash set up with the umbrella. So I might even try it my self sometime.

Cheers mate, I have been having a look at the images that you first shot of your self and thought Well I've got one flash and then a lencarta flash set up with the umbrella. So I might even try it my self sometime.
Go for it, the images of myself were one light bonced from side wall (y)

I'm finding the unfolding of yours & Em's story rather charming. One day it'll be really interesting to see the whole series in one place.
Thank you, I should probably start a project thread so it is all in one place (y) :)

Back