Owen's 52 - updated with low down

Edit My Images
Yes
This is my first attempt to post a photo, so here goes!...

So I believe the theme this week is fun. This a photo I actually took a few weekends ago, at a music festival I went to, but I have only just got round to looking at them.

I think this captures the "fun" element quite well. This was taken just after a massive thunderstorm, but that didn't seem to put people off having a dance!

What do you think?

3740367977_067c6078d1.jpg

Last edited:
I think the exposure is spot on and i love the way they are frozen, its a shame yo didnt get the girl in the forground legs in the shoot too. :)

Actually, I don´t mind that you´ve haven´t captured the girl´s legs as her posture leads you further into the picture. Good capture and nice and sharp.

My only little niggle is I feel there should be a bit more space at the top of the picture as the building seems ´crowded'.

But a good action shot which definitely meets the theme :clap::clap:

And welcome :wave: to the 52s

Hi and welcome to the 52 - it's lots of fun :D

This definitely meets the brief - it lookss as though the crowd have got soaked and muddy and are now determined to enjoy themselves. :)

I like the effect of the light on the dancers contrasting with the massive storm cloud overhead. Nicely caught. (y)

Jean

Welcome to the 52, I'm late joining up too.

Good entry to start off with. I love the quality of the light in that photo. Is that what it was really like after the thunder storm or have you done some editing to it ? Either way it really works for me and it's a good interpretation of the theme.

Hi Owen,

Great to see you join us.

Superb first image, as has been said, ideally a bit more space at the top and a little more of the girls legs but great expression in the image and expression for me is king.

Great fun image, I'll look forward to what you have for us this week.

Thanks everyone.
Some good tips there.

I think that "easy" will be anything but...
I'll put my thinking cap on.

Hello Owen, glad youv'e joined!!

Great first shot. I agree with Jean in that it doesn't matter to me too much about the legs, but space is needed on top of the building!! I love the warm tones you have captured in the brickwork!! :clap: :clap:

Hi Owen, welcome to the 52er's. Good action, fun being had by all. Just needs a little space above the building. (y) Well done.

Great first shot Owen...keep up the good work, I'm sure you will have many great shots to share with us in the coming weeks...

Welcome aboard...:wave:

Thanks for all your comments on my first photo!

This time the subject was "easy". I was struggling with this until I went to a festival on the weekend. Having a bit of a wander between bands I came across a scene of carnage. For some reason, people were having an enormous hay fight! :wacky:

So I thought "aha! I'll make myself an EASY target!"
So I dived in tried to grab some photos.:D

This is my favourite.
3789756483_db5420bc12.jpg

And these two give some more context.

3790580218_12399ef8a1_m.jpg
3789772391_049822a752_m.jpg

Last edited:
I like these, great action shots and not Easy at all...:clap::clap::clap:

The first one is a little oversized for this forum...Max 800pixels on any side but apart from that all good stuff from you again...(y)

Excellent shots Owen... an interesting interpretation too... easy target :LOL:... Good on you for getting in there with your camera and getting the shots.

You know, it's amazing what we have all found as easy, there are so many different variations.

I've been away for a while (holiday, work, holiday...) so I've been remiss at putting my photos up. I'll be playing catch up over the next few days!

First up colour.

This is a picture I took near where I was camping on my hols. It's a guinea fowl. I was struck and thought it would be perfect for "colour" because it's black and white all over it's body and then has a really colourful head.

3882179383_c38400afaa.jpg

Exposed, a hiding lizard.
Seen a couple of weeks ago on my hols.

3882184665_d76bc56f02.jpg

Here it is a few moments later more fully exposed!

3882978006_f3fd0dac43_m.jpg

Now, I've come to mono.
My first thoughts about this theme were "monochrome", so I thought this shot would fit perfectly. It also fits because this was a bull elephant all on his own, so it could fit in with the mono==one meaning too.

3941862253_d9552fa5d6.jpg

Check the large version here.

Owen, nicely done...

Colour, looks good, perhaps a little too much space on the right. But, the colour shows up nicely.

Food, hmmm... tasty, very colourful, sharp in the right places. I like it

Exposed works very well. I do like the shot of it hiding. The second has a bit too much OOF in the foreground on the right for my liking though.

Mono... well done. I really like that, and it fits the theme in more than one way too.

Well done for catching up. It might be worth updating the title that the new images are in the thread, or people might miss them.

Wow, nicely done is right :clap:

I love all 4, all excellently composed and spot on in regards to the theme! Back in style eh! (y)

Next up is season. This one's a bit cliched but it's all I got for now! I took them about 5 minutes ago in my garden.
I think I might go back and play with the depth of field a bit to bring the foreground into focus but I like the colours...

3945226400_9494682fac.jpg

Here's another version of the same shot with the DoF and focus adjusted slightly...
3944558411_b5bfe351bc.jpg

Last edited:
This is turning out to be some catchup! 2 excellent season shots there. I'm impressed :clap:

What came after season? I think it was grunge. I've gone for the urban decay theme with some urban photos from round where I live.

I'm gonna post 3, I got a bit carried away I'm afraid!
They're all rather grungy I think... I'm not sure which I prefer though.

Number 1
3955566817_935f639311.jpg

Number 2
3955567389_8980b033ab.jpg

Number 3
3955569591_73f1833707.jpg

Next up was respect, but I'm afraid I have nothing for you on that yet.
So I'm skipping respect and going straight for friendship.

Well friendship to me is, more often than not, about sharing a drink with someone. So here, have a drink...

3955570647_a258e5fbb5.jpg

The colours are very subdued on this (deliberately so) and I'm not sure I like it, nevertheless, here it is...
It would be better with another glass, held by a friend...
Hmmm... to absent friends!

Last edited:
Last one for the moment, until next week, or until I get hit with some inspiration on "respect".
This is fresh start.

Fresh orange, to start the day...

[Click the photo for other sizes...]

Nice shot. Love the vibrant orangey orangeness. Can almost taste it now.
Adds a bit of interest having the reflection in the mirror too.

Wow - you've been busy!
A lot of catching up for me on this one.

Colour : Not sure how well this fits the theme for me, but there are some great red and blue splotches on the bird's head :shrug:
Nice, sharp image and great texture in the feathers. I'm not too keen on the composition with his back half cut off though (sorry)

Food : :love: Love it, love it, love it!
Fresh, clean, great dof. I could almost see it in a food mag. Fantastic (y)

Exposed : I love reptiles anyway, but that is soooooo cute. Really like the way he's peering out.

Mono : Another top shot! Brilliant! Great skin texture and I love the close crop. If you'd just caught him with his eye open and a little sparkle there it would be perfect.

Season : I prefer the second one for the colour here, but I think I prefer the dof in the second. Cliche or not these both work well for me (y)

Grunge : Awful theme, but you've done well.
No.1 for me. It has a bit more interest and intrigue to draw me in than the other two. Although, there's nice use of dof in No.3

Friendship : Probably my least favourite from your catch-up. I think you're right, maybe a second glass in the shot and something a bit more exciting than water . . .

Fresh Start : Love the interpretation and composition. The mirror adds a whole other dimension to it. Only niggle (and it may be my monitor) but it looks a tad oversaturated to me.

Pheeeeewwwww!
I'm exhausted after that catch up!
You've done brilliantly to get all of those shots in. There are some real stunners there too. Food and Mono are both exceptional IMO.

Wow!

I've been away, too, so here goes - catching up with your catch up. :)

Colour - I love the idea of black and white and a bit of colour. It would have been nice to see the whole bird, but I don't expect he was keen to pose for you. :D

Food - fabulous photo of fabulous food. :clap:

Exposed - very well spotted! He must have been hard to see out of his hiding ploace, let alone inside it. I agree the dof on the right of the second shot is a bit distracting, but like the guinea fowl, not an easy subject. (y)

Mono - great texture in the elephant's skin. I'd have liked to see just a little but more of him, but I still like the almost abstract quality of this.

Season - it's a close call, but I slightly prefer the second one for the greater dof and the colour variations. But 2 very pleasing shots. (y)

Grunge - definitely #1. I like the variations on types of glass, suggesting the windows have been broken and repaired many times, but eventually the building was allowed to fall into disrepair and just boarded up. Well spotted indeed. :)

Friends - as a photo I like this - the use of space and desaturated colours work well, imo. I thought at first that it would be more suitable for a magazine article about caring, say offering medication and a glass of water, but then the thought of 'absent friends' is appropriate as well. So well done, both for the interpretation and trying something different in pp. (y)

Fresh Start - I love the vibrancy of this. A great way to start the day The glass of juice looks great, but I think the oranges have lost a bit of detail. The reflection adds another dimension to it and I like it very much. :clap:

Right - off to rest aching fingers!! :LOL:

Jean

Wow I've a massive catch up to do here so..

1) Fun

Great Fun shot - well caught and has a real fun feel about it :) Frozen at a great moment too

2) Easy

Love the main shot but its the colourful blurred shot that stands out for me :) Great sense of movement and fun as well

3) Colour

Nice capture - might have cropped a little off the right hand side and has been said not massively colourful other than the birds head but colour it is :)

4) Food

Nicely composed, great dof and colour :)

5) Exposed

That is such a great capture - I love it ! Bloody well seen as well :)

6) Mono

Classy shot with great texture and a lovely conversion to B&W

7) Season

Yep nicely in theme - firts one has nicer colours imho :)

8) Grunge

Ah a choice - photographically I prefer #3 but themewise #1 :)

9) Friendship

Interesting interpretation - an ok shot but the space on the left bothers me - perhaps a hand to accept the glass...?

10) Fresh Start

Bright, colourful and vibrant

:)

Oh and welcome to the 52s :)

More good images Owen..

Season, I think I prefer the second shot of the two, but they are both good.

Grunge, this was tough, but 1 works best for the theme. Although, I think I agree with John on 3 being the better shot.

Fresh Start.. another head scratcher, but you've done well with it, and the reflection adds an extra dimension.

Like the fresh start, but then I would wouldn't I..;)

Your mono and food shots are the stand out shots from the rest of your pictures, well done on getting so many in!:clap:

Works very well for me , good composition and colours :clap:

Grunge - I like all 3 photos, but really like the DOF on the wall shot. Works really well for me. It's got both a focus vs leading lines going on (y)

Friendship - Doesn't really work for me I'm afraid. I do like the idea though. Not sure what I would do to improve on it :thinking:

Fresh start - Really like this too. It's quite busy, but I think it adds to the photo in this case.

(y) for you're catchup all round. Excellent work.

Catch up time...

Colour...Nice use of the colour from the colourful face on this shot...

Food...now this is a really nice shot and captures such lovely DOF work, also the composition is spot on for me...:clap:

Exposed...Fits the theme but not your best shot to date...

Mono...Great use of the Mono treatment on the subject, really brings out the texture of the elephants skin...

Season...Again nice use of colour and composition, you really do have a good eye, and you make good use of it...:clap:

Grunge...it fits the theme well, and you made the best of what turned out to be a terrible theme for most of us...

Friendship...I can see what you were trying to do and overall not a bad idea, but it didn't quite do it for me...

Fresh Start...Now we are back on track with a excellent shot, full of colour and fresh looking shot, yes the mirror was a nice twist and you pulled off a superb shot for this theme...:clap::clap::clap:

Passion.

Well, I have a passion for scuba diving and all things aquatic really. So I thought I'd use a photograph of my friend indulging in the same passion for this one.

I'm afraid I only have a point and shoot for underwater photography, so the quality leaves a little to be desired. The main problem is light. In the main photo here we're at about 35m depth, so the light quality is pretty low and is blue-green tinted (that's why I've turned it black and white, and why it's a bit noisy (high ISO)).

This one is an action shot of my buddy Dave on a wreck in the sea off the coast of Oman.

Why the passion? Well we get to see wonderful sea life like this (not great shots, but they give you the idea!) The first 2 shots are from the UK, the 3rd is in Oman [click for bigger versions].

Last edited:
Back