Oxford to Edinburgh

Edit My Images
Yes
I haven't traveled much in the UK, and I'm required to attend a conference at Heriot-Watt Uni in Edinburgh. I'm utterly confused by the all the different possibilities of the rail system.

Originally, I used the National Rail site to look at the different options. However, I later went to the Virgin Trains site and found MORE possibilities (cheaper ones). This, along with the fact that every single option has little footnotes and hidden policies that need to be examined is driving me insane.

What do you usually do if you need to travel?

Theo, I come down to that area quite a lot, if you can get a lift to Birmingham airport (or even take the train, it goes right in to the airport) fly be have regular and quite cheap fares particularly if you can book ahead and its a hell of a lot quicker than by train (and more reliable too!!

George

Theo, I come down to that area quite a lot, if you can get a lift to Birmingham airport (or even take the train, it goes right in to the airport) fly be have regular and quite cheap fares particularly if you can book ahead and its a hell of a lot quicker than by train (and more reliable too!!

George

It's not a huge deal about the price. That is, my travel grant will cover all of it, but since it will first come out of my pocket (then afterwards to be reimbursed), plus there's no sense in wasting money, I want to be conservative. To put it simply, if I were spending my own money, I would pinch every penny, but for the sake of saving £5-10, it's not worth the inconvenience.

I need to be in Edinburgh on the 6th, so I suppose that doesn't give much advance notice does it?

Drive? I've driven the North-South route many times. It would take you about six hours or so (and it might even be cheaper than taking the train).

If you don't need a car, I'd still fly. It's so much less hassle! At least check Flybe's website!!

...but if you drive, you can take your camera. Just think of all the places either just off the A1 or M6/A7 (depending which side of the country you go up) which are great photo opportunities.

Depends how long you are intending to be in Edinburgh really, and how much time you can allow for travel.

I always fly to Scotland with work, as i am required to fly up and back in a day, i certainly wouldnt even attempt that driving or on the train. You need to allow a day for each direction realistically, if driving, and will take several hours on a train.

...but if you drive, you can take your camera. Just think of all the places either just off the A1 or M6/A7 (depending which side of the country you go up) which are great photo opportunities.

Don't believe my Canadian license is valid in this country. Besides, I'd probably insist on driving on the right.

I always fly to Scotland with work

Hmm...flying would be costlier. And add to that the cost of getting to Heathrow (like £20 return)

I use Flybe Edinburgh-Birmingham a lot, cheap and quite a few flights.

If you ring up virgin and can speak to some one directly they should be able to find the cheapest rail tickets for you.....2x singles is cheaper than a return if you book in advance with a 7 day advance ticket! Depends if there are any left however as there is limited space. Alternately fly....as has been suggested!

Back