weekly Oy's Weekly Photo Thingiewotsit for 2023 : Week 52 : Fave of the year - Year Complete!

(week 1). Lovely iconic black and white image. The pose says it all.

Nice take on the theme, the subject certainly leaves you wondering. the colours work well too. Well spotted.

Well spotted... I really like the composition and random foot placement.

As others have said, well spotted and a great idea for the theme.

The man with no head really made me chuckle.

We stopped in Morecombe last year on a ride to Scotland just so I could get a picture of me with Eric. I like your mono conversion and the wide POV you have used.
Incomplete works for me I like the dodgy looking guy hidden from us with just his phone and tattoo showing. I might of been inclined to use a mono conversion on that as well, but I always think in terms of mono conversions!

We stopped in Morecombe last year on a ride to Scotland just so I could get a picture of me with Eric. I like your mono conversion and the wide POV you have used.
Incomplete works for me I like the dodgy looking guy hidden from us with just his phone and tattoo showing. I might of been inclined to use a mono conversion on that as well, but I always think in terms of mono conversions!
Thanks Roger. I tried a few mono options but things kinda got lost.

Week 3 : Artificial

Morecambe prom is full of artificial sea defences - part of which are Y shaped rocky mounds to break up the waves. These are typically 1-2m high at low tide but at high tide they can disappear completely. It's great for photographing seabirds as they take refuge on what rocks are left exposed. I've chosen a wide shot to show what I mean, but also added a couple of bird shots to show what I get when the high tide combines with decent light - like we had yesterday. On the part I was at yesterday I saw Oystercather, Redshank, Knot, Dunlin, Turnstone, Eider, Pintail, Widgeon, Curlew, Lapwing, Bar-tailed godwit and Great black-backed gull. All squeezed onto the rocks.

i-MDPZ4kH-X2.jpg

i-SCsV3TQ-X2.jpg

Shore%20Oycs%20241222-13-X2.jpg

Shore%20Oycs%20241222-14-X2.jpg

Wow! Great take on the theme Dave, and those close ups of oystercatchers are fabulous! One of my (if not my) favourite seabird

Wow! Great take on the theme Dave, and those close ups of oystercatchers are fabulous! One of my (if not my) favourite seabird
Thanks Simon :)

I can see why you chose the wide shot to fit the theme but the bird shots are lovely, especially #3

Great set of shots, the first 3 would make a really good triptych. Finishing with the bird coming in to land. Nicely done.

Great set of shots, the first 3 would make a really good triptych. Finishing with the bird coming in to land. Nicely done.
Ta Graham :)

What a great set Dave! I particularly like #2 and #3. I think that #2 (for me) is the best of an outstanding series!

Great take on the theme and thanks for the explanation. The second and third shots are outstanding.

I like them all and your interpretation of the theme is very creative and works well. For me the pick of the bunch is the second one, as I like the way the uppermost bird is framed by the crashing waves.

What a great set Dave! I particularly like #2 and #3. I think that #2 (for me) is the best of an outstanding series!
Thanks Bill - No2 is the best photo I think.

Great take on the theme and thanks for the explanation. The second and third shots are outstanding.

Cheers Peter :)

Great set of shots Dave, liking the first the most.

Ta Dave - for the theme I agree.

I like them all and your interpretation of the theme is very creative and works well. For me the pick of the bunch is the second one, as I like the way the uppermost bird is framed by the crashing waves.

Thanks Jim :)

Week 4 : Transparent

Steamy / grubby cafe window near Lancaster station this afternoon.

i-PNnS6vB-X2.jpg

So much more interesting than a clean window.

It's only been open a few days and up to then the windows were covered in that soap stuff they use. I guess they didn;t do a very good job of cleaning it off!

Nicely spotted and taken shot Dave, they look as though they are having a great time lol

I'll let you know when I try the place :)

Nicely spotted and taken shot Dave, they look as though they are having a great time lol

Cheers Dave :)

I like that.

As said above the fact that it's not a clean window makes the shot. For me anyway.
Thanks Kell :)

Nicely framed, perfect for the theme, I'm sure a bit of the window is actually transparent. It does make you wonder what the "conversation" they are having is....

Nicely framed, perfect for the theme, I'm sure a bit of the window is actually transparent. It does make you wonder what the "conversation" they are having is....

Thanks Graham :)
Yep - a fly on the wall job for sure :)

The lady on camera right appears to be gazing longingly at the lady camera left.
Can't quite make out her expression, but she feels oblivious.
Unrequited. Would make a good title for this shot :)

The lady on camera right appears to be gazing longingly at the lady camera left.
Can't quite make out her expression, but she feels oblivious.
Unrequited. Would make a good title for this shot :)

Ta :)

Could be :)

Back