Packhorse Bridge

Name
Jim
Edit My Images
Yes
This is an image I made last week of an old packhorse bridge in the East Dartmoor National Nature Reserve, it was late afternoon and the dappled light, coupled with the orange looking river bed (due to the peat stained water) were what really caught my eye (apart from the scene, of course).

Made with my Fujifilm X-Pro2; XF10-24mm lens (with Lee polariser); ISO 200; F11; s/s 0.6

It is interesting how many such bridges seem to link nowhere to nowhere. They have lasted far longer than their original purpose, and why such effort was spent in their construction.

It is interesting how many such bridges seem to link nowhere to nowhere. They have lasted far longer than their original purpose, and why such effort was spent in their construction.

Very true, this one is just on a non-descript footpath that is nowehere near any modern towns or villages, but must have been a route to/from somewhere at some point before the larger tracks that eventually became roads.

Hisley Bridge? It really is a lovely place. The last time I was there I was sitting sketching it and a labrador put its foot in my tin of graphite sticks............... :LOL:
The bridge and tracks linked Manaton, Lustleigh and farmsteads that used to be in the area (originally medieval). There's a Hisley Heritage Walk leaflet available online that gives the history.

Hisley Bridge? It really is a lovely place. The last time I was there I was sitting sketching it and a labrador put its foot in my tin of graphite sticks............... :LOL:
The bridge and tracks linked Manaton, Lustleigh and farmsteads that used to be in the area (originally medieval). There's a Hisley Heritage Walk leaflet available online that gives the history.

Yes it is Hisley Bridge, a lovely tranquil spot.

That's really nice Jim. Highlights sparkle, shadows hold detail just the right amount and the composition holds it all together really well.

The one thing I'd note is there's a slight magenta cast in some of the highlights of the water & rocks on the LHS.

That's really nice Jim. Highlights sparkle, shadows hold detail just the right amount and the composition holds it all together really well.

The one thing I'd note is there's a slight magenta cast in some of the highlights of the water & rocks on the LHS.

Thanks Toni, yes the cast is probaly from the ND grad I had across that side, diagonally, as the trees were very bright over that side and it was a nightmare to balance the light without. I my revisit the edit and add a grad to pull the colour cast out, if I can. Thanks for the nice comments.

Back