Panamoz Import Duties?

I have a copy of the customs declaration from Panamoz for a value of £18.70 listed as toy parts for a lens at £1400.

Could you post up a scan of that please?

also, has anyone called the listed Brighton phone number for Panamoz to determine if it’s answered in the UK or HK?

So you've never broken any laws?
Accepted cash payment for a homer?

its more about the topic being openly discussed on forums like this and approved by the site owners. it simply adds credibility so it being a victimless crime which it isn't
Would i buy a grey lens of body if i knew i was evading tax?
No i wouldn't quite frankly, pretty much all my kit is bought 2nd hand but that is irrelevant in this situation.

its more about the topic being openly discussed on forums like this and approved by the site owners. it simply adds credibility so it being a victimless crime which it isn't
Would i buy a grey lens of body if i knew i was evading tax?
No i wouldn't quite frankly, pretty much all my kit is bought 2nd hand but that is irrelevant in this situation.
You've avoided answering my questions.... ;)
And apparently, the fact that your kit is bought second hand isn't actually irrelevant apparently.....

Last edited:
Reactions: TG.
One thought is that they might use that shell as a forwarding address to help keep their UK warehouse location secure (or hidden from HMRC).

also, has anyone called the listed Brighton phone number for Panamoz to determine if it’s answered in the UK or HK?

The cheapest virtual office package at that site is basically just a forwarding address. For £112 a month they'll have someone answer the phone, though since the Panamoz line linked to that address is open from 7AM Mon-Sat, I doubt this is happening from Brighton...

A photographer arriving back from his holiday abroad returning through UK customs who take an interest in his photo equipment and find that the serials number are not on the list of duty or VAT paid.

By what magic does this happen? What makes you think HMRC maintain a list of all serial numbers and track duty and VAT against them?

One thought is that they might use that shell as a forwarding address to help keep their UK warehouse location secure (or hidden from HMRC).

The Brighton address is just a virtual office.

There is no U.K warehouse, the guy Tina that sorts all the U.K stuff is based out of a flat in the middle of a housing estate in London.

This isn't a big multi national business they have 3 staff and only one of those is based in the U.K.

They are a very good company to buy from in terms of customer service, they are excellent when it comes to dealing with faults and returns, much better than most U.K companies.

The Brighton address is just a virtual office.

There is no U.K warehouse, the guy Tina that sorts all the U.K stuff is based out of a flat in the middle of a housing estate in London.

This isn't a big multi national business they have 3 staff and only one of those is based in the U.K.

They are a very good company to buy from in terms of customer service, they are excellent when it comes to dealing with faults and returns, much better than most U.K companies.
Haha amazing. As a man who works with process and efficiency I'm more impressed with how they operate than put off by it.

Reactions: Sky
By what magic does this happen? What makes you think HMRC maintain a list of all serial numbers and track duty and VAT against them?

Do you know that they definitely do not keep a list of serial numbers where duty has been paid? Of course, this is no concern to me as I have always bought from real UK suppliers like WEX.

Dave

Do you know that they definitely do not keep a list of serial numbers where duty has been paid? Of course, this is no concern to me as I have always bought from real UK suppliers like WEX.

Dave

Just as an example Sony are unable to tell if a camera is grey import or not based on the serial number. What makes you think HMRC can?

so don't be surprised if people with a moral compass stick there beak in.

I use Amazon, as much as it loathes me to do so. Whilst their massive tax avoidance schemes over the past decade may be legal (although one may question how that has gone on for so long), they certainly aren't moral. Same goes for many of the other big names many of us use such as Google, Facebook, Netflix, Microsoft and Apple . I'm sure they have all affected the NHS and other such services on substantial levels.

Let's not even start to look at politicians lol. Whilst it still doesn't make what Panamoz are doing right, it's perhaps worth observing the bigger picture?

I'd be tempted to do it, I must admit. Simply on the basis that the HMRC aren't exactly moral.

d7d43b_794919e92534447bb2d9ace642852d95~mv2.jpg

So you've never broken any laws?
Accepted cash payment for a homer?

two wrongs don't make a right I'm afraid. you are just twice as wrong.
Imagine saying that in court - "hey Judge, have you never broken the law? everyone does it every now and then, could you let me off please"

two wrongs don't make a right I'm afraid. you are just twice as wrong.
Imagine saying that in court - "hey Judge, have you never broken the law? everyone does it every now and then, could you let me off please"
Although it sometimes feels like it, this isn't actually a court of law :LOL:

I know two wrongs don't make a right, I'm only questioning the "holier than thou" attitude....

Although it sometimes feels like it, this isn't actually a court of law :LOL:

I know two wrongs don't make a right, I'm only questioning the "holier than thou" attitude....

I ain't holier than anyone... and I have my set of skeletons too in my closet :p
but justifying one wrongdoing with another other just makes it worst IMO. its wrong, accept it and move on (i.e. not doing it again if you can help it).
Justifying it especially using another illegal activity means the person really has no intention of correcting it.

Given the difference between the Canon R6 body advertised at Panamoz at £ 2010 and the same bodied advertised at £ 2499 at Wex is almost entirely down to tax. One has had VAT evading by falsely declaring the item as a toy valued at £ 30 or less and the other is imported correctly by Canon UK. Its a shame legitimate UK sellers can't break the law in the same way that Panamoz and their customers are happy to do, because they can't compete otherwise.

Ok..decided I will hang fire see if Bumfluff's item shows up first without any problems..then will probably take a chance with them.. have looked about and the new price everywhere else seems to be circa £400+ and some more..did come across another online only type setup with a warehouse in the UK ;).. they are called wowcamera looks like a simliar set up to panamoz..
So DPD delivered this lunch time. Everything appears to be present and correct (including the spare battery that I ordered) in new packaging, all the bags inside sealed and UK charger and manual supplied. I haven't had chance yet to play with it all. They said the order would take 10-14 days to arrive, took 7.

Given the difference between the Canon R6 body advertised at Panamoz at £ 2010 and the same bodied advertised at £ 2499 at Wex is almost entirely down to tax. One has had VAT evading by falsely declaring the item as a toy valued at £ 30 or less and the other is imported correctly by Canon UK. Its a shame legitimate UK sellers can't break the law in the same way that Panamoz and their customers are happy to do, because they can't compete otherwise.

One might make that assumption - but there are some odd examples out there:

Fuji 16-55 f2.8

e-Infinity: £699​
Panamoz: £860​
Wex: £979 --> current offer 10% off at checkout would give: £881​

The real question perhaps is what are people actually paying in other markets for goods.

I have bought some Fuji lenses at not far off grey market prices - it has just been a matter of watching for one off deals and waiting for discount/cashback offers. from UK suppliers.

Don’t know about that. Panamoz give a 3 year warranty as standard on everything. There customer services in much better than most U.K companies. If they were the same price as everyone else and had the advantage of matching U.K delivery times next day etc. I would definitely consider still using them.

It’s different with the likes of e-Infinity who as well as being grey have terrible customer service and only provide a one year warranty.

One might make that assumption - but there are some odd examples out there:

Fuji 16-55 f2.8

e-Infinity: £699​
Panamoz: £860​
Wex: £979 --> current offer 10% off at checkout would give: £881​

The real question perhaps is what are people actually paying in other markets for goods.

I have bought some Fuji lenses at not far off grey market prices - it has just been a matter of watching for one off deals and waiting for discount/cashback offers. from UK suppliers.
Some things are genuinely cheaper in other markets (e.g., I've seen high-end Nikon bodies at B&H - US stock, not their own grey imports - that were substantially cheaper than the UK price minus VAT). But an awful lot of things at grey dealers are going for prices that are pretty close to what we'd pay without VAT. Since we know that prominent grey dealers are routinely under-declaring values by massive amounts, it's hard to give them the benefit of the doubt, especially when any VAT that we might like to imagine has been paid never seems to be documented, except when a package is intercepted by Customs.

So DPD delivered this lunch time. Everything appears to be present and correct (including the spare battery that I ordered) in new packaging, all the bags inside sealed and UK charger and manual supplied. I haven't had chance yet to play with it all. They said the order would take 10-14 days to arrive, took 7.
I'll also add the the serial numbers match the box and all happily register on the Canon UK site for getting software downloads.

Don’t know about that. Panamoz give a 3 year warranty as standard on everything. There customer services in much better than most U.K companies. If they were the same price as everyone else and had the advantage of matching U.K delivery times next day etc. I would definitely consider still using them.

It’s different with the likes of e-Infinity who as well as being grey have terrible customer service and only provide a one year warranty.

If you add VAT to mine it would come to more than the UK price, but the main reason I used Panamoz was for the stock rather than price. I didn't fancy pre-ordering here and then being in potential limbo.

But with a three year warranty and good customer service, well if they opened up an official UK branch with taxes always paid so the price matches other UK shops then I'd probably still look to them first.

Reactions: TG.
If you add VAT to mine it would come to more than the UK price, but the main reason I used Panamoz was for the stock rather than price. I didn't fancy pre-ordering here and then being in potential limbo.

But with a three year warranty and good customer service, well if they opened up an official UK branch with taxes always paid so the price matches other UK shops then I'd probably still look to them first.

They'll never open a legitimate UK shop, that's not their business.

As I have said before it helps to build a good relationship with UK shops. I got my 35GM from LCE cheaper than panamoz with 2 years UK warranty. Granted I made use of the 10% off Sony offer running at the time but I got a further discount on top of that making it cheaper than grey at the moment (no doubt in 6 months time grey will be even cheaper but not from day 1)

They'll never open a legitimate UK shop, that's not their business.

As I have said before it helps to build a good relationship with UK shops. I got my 35GM from LCE cheaper than panamoz with 2 years UK warranty. Granted I made use of the 10% off Sony offer running at the time but I got a further discount on top of that making it cheaper than grey at the moment (no doubt in 6 months time grey will be even cheaper but not from day 1)

I don't think I buy enough camera gear to build a good relationship, but certainly in your case going UK seemed more logical.

I don't think I buy enough camera gear to build a good relationship, but certainly in your case going UK seemed more logical.

don't need to buy every other day to build a nice relationship :)
Shops appreciate not everyone is GAS crazy like me or some folks on this forum. Majority of the folks/customers will be sensible people like yourself that only buy what they need when they need it.
You just need to be a bit more involved with the shop, events and show intent (most of which is all free apart from investing your time that is).
for example in the above case I have only bought 3 lenses from that particular LCE branch in the last 2 years. 35GM being the 3rd one.

Last edited:
don't need to buy every other day to build a nice relationship :)
Shops appreciate not everyone is GAS crazy like me or some folks on this forum. Majority of the folks/customers will be sensible people like yourself that only buy what they need when they need it.
You just need to be a bit more involved with the shop, events and show intent (most of which is all free apart from investing your time that is).
for example in the above case I have only bought 3 lenses from that particular LCE branch in the last 2 years. 35GM being the 3rd one.

Thanks, I'll bear that in mind.

Back