Panamoz Serial numbers

I would say your chance of succeeding in getting a refund after 6-9 months on a private sale are going to be slim to none.

Probably a reason why a second hand body with a UK receipt still seems to command a premium over one of an unknown origin or even worse, a grey import.

Your comment is much appreciated and btw I was not looning at getting a refund from whom I bought it, that was suggested by Canon. I am more than happy with the camera and will let the matter rest.

Thanks.

Just to clarify for others, items shipped by Panamoz are not all marked as toy parts.

No, I saw a post earlier in the Panamoz thread where posters said their parcels were marked as "stereo equipment parts".

I suppose they can't keep using the same false description for too long, HMRC probably catch on if they use the same for too long.

Are you perhaps mistaking this with the fact that anyone shipping an item internationally with a Lithium battery in it (eg a new camera) now has to have the appropriate cert attached to the box: http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/ship/packaging/guidelines/batteries.html

My recent package from Panamoz certainly had it.

No, lithium batteries included with electronic devices are a separate category.

Even if they weren't, the parcel should be marked as "Digital camera containing lithium battery" not a false description of "lithium battery".

I am amazed by the Panamoz "customers" (other grey HK retailers as well) who jump into forum threads about the company to vociferously defend the company, even in the face of a legitimate complaint or concern :shrug:

Is anyone else appreciating the irony of that?

Well, I get all my camera gear by mugging unsuspecting fools. Sure, some people might call that illegal, but I bet they've all broken the speed limit sometime. And I get some really good gear and save a fortune.

PS. This is meant to be humourous. I don't participate in, nor do I advocate, the mugging of anybody - unsuspecting fool or not. Just as I don't brag about how much money I save by breaking the law regarding the payment of import taxes. As far as I'm concerned there's very little difference morally.

Well, I get all my camera gear by mugging unsuspecting fools. Sure, some people might call that illegal, but I bet they've all broken the speed limit sometime. And I get some really good gear and save a fortune.

PS. This is meant to be humourous. I don't participate in, nor do I advocate, the mugging of anybody - unsuspecting fool or not. Just as I don't brag about how much money I save by breaking the law regarding the payment of import taxes. As far as I'm concerned there's very little difference morally.

Yup, and the same people probably go into Starbucks with the witty "my name is taxpayer" line, and complain about how eBay, Amazon et al are a bunch of thieving whotsits for failing to pay UK tax.

Then they say how happy they are that they saved a large amount (usually coincidently around 20% to 30%) on buying a grey camera or lens.

I don't have a personal problem with people dodging tax, it's a personal matter of morals and if they feel its good to cheat the country, all well and good for them, but I really don't get the boasting or the jumping into every thread with how they got such a wonderful deal and how wonderful the service is.

Actually I'm appreciating my £200 saving...... no icon needed.

Well done.

I suppose the loss of jobs or lack of expansion at UK firms who can't compete with the grey products being smuggled in is worth the individual savings....

Crap, just tripped up, Dave, have you dropped a halo??

No halos involved, and no hypocrite either, have never bought from these retailers, and if I ever did I would use someone like Digital Rev and then voluntarily inform HMRC, pay and let DR pick up the tab as they should.

As I said, it's down to the individual, just don't brag about it.

Would the forum allow people to join and post about committing other crime?

Why one rule for smuggled cameras and another for smuggled cigarettes? Or smuggled medicines or drugs. What if a person was a bit like Franks joke and robbed pensioners outside the post office on pensions day. How about insurance fraud? Would you be happy for them to brag about their schemes and profits on the forum?

Would you think any of these were a clever ploy and a great thing to do.

Last edited:
No halos involved, and no hypocrite either, have never bought from these retailers, and if I ever did I would use someone like Digital Rev and then voluntarily inform HMRC, pay and let DR pick up the tab as they should.
Ha, ha, i bet you always put your used chewing gum in the bin or have never broken the speed limit as well.

Didn't someone forecast the coming of the new Messiah.

Actually Dave has a very good point. The forum has strict rules about discussing or selling counterfeit software or any other illegal matters, yes here we have people openly boasting about defrauding the tax man. Panamoz a not liable for the import tax, the person who imported the camera is.

For me it's about personal morals. I bought my camera in the uk. I've just bought spare parts for my motorbike in the us and paid import tax. That's just the way it is.

As I said, it's down to the individual, just don't brag about it.

Would the forum allow people to join and post about committing other crime?

Why one rule for smuggled cameras and another for smuggled cigarettes? Or smuggled medicines or drugs. What if a person was a bit like Franks joke and robbed pensioners outside the post office on pensions day. How about insurance fraud? Would you be happy for them to brag about their schemes and profits on the forum?

Would you think any of these were a clever ploy and a great thing to do.

well said Dave. 100% agreement :clap:

This post is really funny! I can't believe Dave1 is now comparing Muggers to not paying duty!!

Have you bothered reading the thread? The mugger comment was made in post #130 by someone other than Dave1.

If it's soo highly illegal then why haven't the authorities caught on, or maybe they have? :)

A group of 'Forumite HMRC Informants', spending time and effort arguing about it on here then contacting HMRC is more than pathetic.

To those that are like that.... Really! Get a life and get out more NIMBY ;)

There is something wrong with society when more people support breaking the law than obeying it. Why are honest people being treated with such ridicule?

There is something wrong with society when more people support breaking the law than obeying it. Why are honest people being treated with such ridicule?

+1

Agreed. It is a good sign of why society is the way it is. Everyone for themselves and bugger the consequences.

Maybe it is the way they are putting their point across and the continual drum banging they are doing. Fine make your point, once or even once per thread but a continual bashing of people whose mind/morals will not be changed is getting boring and off topic. The same goes for those continually replying - maybe they are just on a wind up.

The fact is nobody knows for certain the tax status of these companies, we all have a pretty good idea and make our own decisions afterwards.

getting very boring now! ...
maybe do something else .... like what brought everyone to the forum in the first place' ....... like get out and take pictures :eek: i'm finished clicking onto this thread from now on :wave:

If it's soo highly illegal then why haven't the authorities caught on, or maybe they have? :)

A group of 'Forumite HMRC Informants', spending time and effort arguing about it on here then contacting HMRC is more than pathetic.

To those that are like that.... Really! Get a life and get out more NIMBY ;)

I would guess if this had a noticeable affect on people here the comments would be rather different. If you were a plumber (for example) being massively undercut by a company with, ahem, 'questionable' business tactics to the point where their goods/services are cheaper than your own costs, you would want to do something about before they put you out of business. That's far from pathetic.

It's looking possible that Panamoz are having issues, and it will be no surprise if they disappear sooner or later as their business model relied on staying under the radar. So whilst plenty of people have been exploiting this short term gain (you only need to read back through the shopping thread to find hundreds of thousands of pounds worth of orders from TP alone), that's clearly had an impact on UK retailers who have no chance of lawfully competing.

The fact is nobody knows for certain the tax status of these companies, we all have a pretty good idea and make our own decisions afterwards.

TBH I think that we all know now, though there was possibly some misunderstanding when they initially promoted themselves here - what with the then statement on their website, the UK address and banking and apparent legitimacy.

I would guess if this had a noticeable affect on people here the comments would be rather different. If you were a plumber (for example) being massively undercut by a company with, ahem, 'questionable' business tactics to the point where their goods/services are cheaper than your own costs, you would want to do something about before they put you out of business. That's far from pathetic.

It's looking possible that Panamoz are having issues, and it will be no surprise if they disappear sooner or later as their business model relied on staying under the radar. So whilst plenty of people have been exploiting this short term gain (you only need to read back through the shopping thread to find hundreds of thousands of pounds worth of orders from TP alone), that's clearly had an impact on UK retailers who have no chance of lawfully competing.

And I'll bet many (if not most) of those who have ordered from P or DR have used Jessops as a showroom to fondle and try their future online purchases... Goint to be fun for them if their cheap purchases develop a fault if/when P or DR go the same way as Jessops - I doubt whether the manufacturers will suddenly start accepting the products for work if they don't do so now!

And I'll bet many (if not most) of those who have ordered from P or DR have used Jessops as a showroom to fondle and try their future online purchases... Goint to be fun for them if their cheap purchases develop a fault if/when P or DR go the same way as Jessops - I doubt whether the manufacturers will suddenly start accepting the products for work if they don't do so now!
Well i must admit to viewing a fridge freezer in Currys for £649 then buying it online at appliances.co.uk for £349

dont really see any issues with that, £300 saving and from UK TAX PAYING COMPANY

Back