Panamoz Serial numbers

But its your word against theirs after 8 months?

That's immaterial if Panamoz have said that they'll replace the camera.

I'm not a great fan of theirs, but that's pretty decent customer service!

Never saw the replacement bit, excellent service. Well if you were dodgy you couldve had a second body that wanted replacing that was damaged, marked etc. and told them the serials dont match the original you got from them.

Never saw the replacement bit, excellent service. Well if you were dodgy you couldve had a second body that wanted replacing that was damaged, marked etc. and told them the serials dont match the original you got from them.

Lol!!! I couldn't afford a second body, not in a million years. Sending this camera off to Panamoz is going to be like losing an arm :( Besides, if Panamoz were to decide that I had operated in some fraudulent activity, they have my payment details and address. They have a UK office so the Police could easily be involved in that kind of situation.

Right and wrong. I've just had an email from Tina at Panamoz asking me if I'd like a straight exchange for a new body. They will also check that the serial numbers match before sending it to me!

Will be worth checking the validity of the label on the replacement I guess, don't just go off of the serial number.

Does the serial number on the box match the one on the label or the one in the exif data?

Does the serial number on the box match the one on the label or the one in the exif data?

Funny you should ask. I checked the box last night and noticed that the serial number label had obviously been ripped off the box. There were tear marks and sticky residue left behind.

Right and wrong. I've just had an email from Tina at Panamoz asking me if I'd like a straight exchange for a new body. They will also check that the serial numbers match before sending it to me!

Not being funny but what's to stop whoever's making the fake stickers (if it's the same issue as the DR one) ensuring that the new sticker is simply forged to match the camera's EXIF?

Has anyone ever had a forged label camera or lens from a UK supplier?

Funny you should ask. I checked the box last night and noticed that the serial number label had obviously been ripped off the box. There were tear marks and sticky residue left behind.

So the serial number on the box and body both match and have both been changed.
That does sound seriously iffy! :thinking:

another reason why i will continue to order from Tina! ... (2 bodies & 2 lenses so far.. and the service is second to none)

Oddly enough I'm thinking that shoppers actually have quite a bit of power in the case of companies like Panamoz. I get the feeling that a good chunk of their business is through word of mouth on forums etc (they don't appear to advertise like DR or other HK companies).

Unlike Argos/Amazon etc who can happily survive on people who don't know better, they simply cannot afford a major slip up, it would be all over the web in no time.

So the serial number on the box and body both match and have both been changed.
That does sound seriously iffy! :thinking:

No-no, you got the wrong end of the stick. I never knew what the sticker on the box read, because it was never there! It was torn off before the camera reached me.

Oddly enough I'm thinking that shoppers actually have quite a bit of power in the case of companies like Panamoz. I get the feeling that a good chunk of their business is through word of mouth on forums etc (they don't appear to advertise like DR or other HK companies).

Unlike Argos/Amazon etc who can happily survive on people who don't know better, they simply cannot afford a major slip up, it would be all over the web in no time.

Agreed. They depend on the likes of TP for a large majority of their business. If someone were to report to Canon that Panamoz were partaking in fraudulent activity, they could be easily shut down.

Last edited:

This is one bit I can't get my head round, they sell you counterfeit goods and because they are quick to exchange these goods and blame the supplier everything is hunky dory.

If this happened with a UK High St shop there would be an outrage.

This is one bit I can't get my head round, they sell you counterfeit goods and because they are quick to exchange these goods and blame the supplier everything is hunky dory.

Well if it is the same as DigitalRev, i.e. a problem supplier, then it could happen to anyone High Street or otherwise ... ergo Tesco, Aldi, Findus etc etc and the beef/horse scandal.

Great result for you there Eddy, I've never had anything but good things to say about Panamoz. DR had a label changed and the same camera returned and TBH I think Panamoz would be within their right to do similar, but fair play to Panamoz, I always say it's how a company deals with a problem is when they really show how good they are. Anyone can have a problem with suppliers as we're seeing, but not everyone sorts the problem so efficiantly.

Have to say I was thinking the exact same thing!:thinking:

Just out of curiosity how do you check the serial number recorded in photo's already taken ?
I've viewed the exif data but the serial number stated in there is a 3 then 5 digit number, a totally different fromat from the serial number on the sticky on the bottom of the camera. I have a 5d2 and the number format is the same when I check my 7d as well. Neither was imported from hk.

Last edited:
Oh no! Yours is also fake :)

I'm not worried that they're fake, I'm assuming that the plug-in I'm using to read the exif is likely at fault. I would like to know how to check properly though. :)

I'm not worried that they're fake, I'm assuming that the plug-in I'm using to read the exif is likely at fault. I would like to know how to check properly though. :)

I used Adobe Lightroom and Canon's Digital Photo Pro to read the exif data on my photos. Serial numbers located in both of those programs were different to the serial on the underside of the camera. I obviously became more suspicious when I found the serial had been torn from the box. :geek:

I used Adobe Lightroom and Canon's Digital Photo Pro to read the exif data on my photos. Serial numbers located in both of those programs were different to the serial on the underside of the camera. I obviously became more suspicious when I found the serial had been torn from the box. :geek:

Thanks, found a way to view them in Lightroom, and they matched as expected.

Simple answer: cheap. That alone would appear to enable many people to throw everything they learned about safe internet shopping out of the window. It genuinely amazes me that people are so comfortable using some of these companies that they will even pay by Bank Transfer.

Take the company names away, would anyone with any common sense use a company that mis-labels packages (content and value), offers money for good reviews and forum posts, has a returns address which is a private residence, has a default answer phone message, basically has a lottery for which plug you will get with your camera etc etc?

A UK company would get a battering on here for far less.

Last edited:
Proof of the pudding ... :shrug:

Can do later!

I've been told my Tina to return the camera boxed with all original accessories to the following address:

ADDRESS REMOVED FOR PRIVACY

That's someone's house... Seems well dodgy! Anybody returned to there before? :cautious:

I returned my Tamron lens to them. They got it Monday morning and i had the refund issued before the end of the day.
It does sound dodgy, probably is but it seems its perfectly safe.

Simple answer: cheap. That alone would appear to enable many people to throw everything they learned about safe internet shopping out of the window. It genuinely amazes me that people are so comfortable using some of these companies that they will even pay by Bank Transfer.

Take the company names away, would anyone with any common sense use a company that mis-labels packages (content and value), offers money for good reviews and forum posts, has a returns address which is a private residence, has a default answer phone message, basically has a lottery for which plug you will get with your camera etc etc?

I'm assuming you have links to the multitude of negative reviews from dissatisfied customers.

Well its pretty obvious that many do and will continue to do so.
We are all aware of how things get in to the country, thats how we save money.

I'd also check your facts about the HK sellers changing the serial numbers. There is a link posted on the first page that will give you real info, not just hearsay that seems to get posted in these sort of threads.

I'm assuming you have links to the multitude of negative reviews from dissatisfied customers.

No because there aren't many, that's exactly the point I'm making.

I'd also check your facts about the HK sellers changing the serial numbers. There is a link posted on the first page that will give you real info, not just hearsay that seems to get posted in these sort of threads.

I've not made any mention at all of the serial number 'issue'.

Last edited:

To be honest, you won't find me complaining about cheap prices AND great service. For me Panamoz have been exemplary so far, including a warranty return. Far better than most UK companies I have dealt with. Not all of us have a local bricks and mortar shop offering brilliant service, never mind the extra cash required.

Got to say that's great service from panamoz. Do you think digital revs slowness in dealing with the first issue had any influence? A possibility they are using the same suppliers?

I'm sitting reading this just about the spend a couple of grand replacing my Canon gear. In the past I've always bought directly from UK supplier or US when visiting there, but never directly from the Far East. Reading this thread was a real 'put off' until the result. What great customer service. This has made me think about buying from Panamoz or DR now. Any recommendations between the two?

Well, if I'm not in the US within the next few weeks, I'm sure I'll end up buying from either Panamoz or DR.

Thanks for sharing your story.

Here's another thread about DigitalRev's customer services http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=465273 You'd of thought after the serial number fiasco they'd want to be 100% towards customers.

Here's the original thread from another forum about the serial number saga http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1242404&page=5 If you want to go through all that to find out what the outcome was then have fun, it's a long thread now.

TBH, this is the first negative thing I've heard about Panamoz in over 2 years, and even then it had a positive outcome. I've done bank transfers to Panamoz and I've been perfectly happy with their service. I just wish I'd heard of them earlier, I could of saved a lot more money (or had a lot more gear).

i'm with modchild on this one' ..saved myself over one thousand pounds by buying my kit from panamoz just prior to Xmas' .. nice people to deal with and as i was spending the best part of 3.5k with them i wanted to know everything so sent loads of e-mails in the week leading upto my purchase, Tina was very helpful ....
i will be using Panamoz again in the near future everything i ordered was brand spanking new and serials matched boxes'exif's etc.
if you are the worrying kind then buy British for peace of mind:shrug:

i like a bargain (y)

UPDATE: A brand new camera is currently in transit and is due to arrive with me tomorrow afternoon! :)

Hi Eddy. How did things turn out with the new camera? Did it have matching serial no.s and what about the box this time?

I'm curious since I've just sent a new camera back to Panamoz (well the UK address) and I'm just wondering if everything turned out ok?

Everything was fine, though they sent me a lemon - so that's gone back as well! Currently awaiting the re-replacement lol!

Back