PANAMOZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hosted at two completely different Internet providers. Maybe someone else has just jumped in the bandwagon.

How do you mean, Panamoz use to always reply to me.

What difference does the BT method make to HMRC anyway?

I was referring to avoiding customs charges. The difference between them as far as I know was simply panamoz claimed they paid it where as onestop say they will of caught!

Panamoz were smugglers who evaded UK tax and duty, having a UK bank account for HMRC to investigate wasn't their best idea.

Not true, legally the person importing (the buyer) is the smuggler. It is up to you to declare its true worth if it slips through.

Not true, legally the person importing (the buyer) is the smuggler. It is up to you to declare its true worth if it slips through.

Sorry, whilst the receiver commits an offence it is still true to call Panamoz smugglers as they smuggle items into the UK (they even mislabel parcels to evade HMRC checks).

They do so to avoid tax and duty, so it is most definitely true to describe them as such.

Sorry, whilst the receiver commits an offence it is still true to call Panamoz smugglers as they smuggle items into the UK (they even mislabel parcels to evade HMRC checks).

They do so to avoid tax and duty, so it is most definitely true to describe them as such.

Their law breaking is not registering for taxes etc as they make over the required limit. I am not doubting they are law breakers, just that they are not the only ones in the transaction!

Their law breaking is not registering for taxes etc as they make over the required limit. I am not doubting they are law breakers, just that they are not the only ones in the transaction!

Most definitely Jim, any buyer should have no illusion they are breaking the law (and are more likely to face prosecution by HMRC than the seller in HK). But Panamoz (and the other HK sellers) are only able to sell at their low prices because of their wilful evasion of taxes and duties.

And if they have gone tits up - all those who bought from them have only now worthless supplier waranties rather than manufacturer waranties (excepting those few good covered by a worldwide warranty)

of course that could apply to any grey importer (unless they supply a valid uk sales receipt) , but it shows the unwisdom of those who said 'oh but that doesnt matter because they offer their own warranty and take care of all the repairs and everythink'

And if they have gone tits up - all those who bought from them have only now worthless supplier waranties rather than manufacturer waranties (excepting those few good covered by a worldwide warranty)

of course that could apply to any grey importer (unless they supply a valid uk sales receipt) , but it shows the unwisdom of those who said 'oh but that doesnt matter because they offer their own warranty and take care of all the repairs and everythink'

Agreed, every HK seller thread where a new buyer goes on about the "3 year warranty" as if its a positive attribute over a UK warranty always amuses me.

Rather than warranty, they should call it a promise to help with the repair if they are still in business.

but the risk of it becoming faulty is in some way negated by the much lower cost in some cases

id guess the failure rate is very low in the scheme of things

but the risk of it becoming faulty is in some way negated by the much lower cost in some cases

id guess the failure rate is very low in the scheme of things

:agree:

It has also been a pleasure buying new for s/h prices......oh hang on, doesn't most s/h kit come without a warranty and more chance of developing a fault ;)

Last edited:
Nikon offer 2 yrs warranties on many products (+ some UK sellers offer additional 1-3 yrs)

They would still have the manufacturer's warranty, only they would need to pay the cost of returning the item to Hong Kong, or wherever else the item was sourced from.

Even if someone does not consider it explicitly, if the price difference on a major item between a UK dealer and importing were so close to not cover shipping it back then I doubt they would bother anyway.

On the more expensive items where prices are several hundred pounds cheaper you could probably pay for a local repair and still end up paying less combined than the original UK price.

Rather than warranty, they should call it a promise to help with the repair if they are still in business.

Which is true of anything you buy from anyone, anywhere, at any time, regardless of the manufacturer, supplier, or country.

It has also been a pleasure buying new for s/h prices......oh hang on, doesn't most s/h kit come without a warranty and more chance of developing a fault ;)

here here

Companies pretty much gone and people are still going on about its practices and people who bought from them like they are criminals. :bonk:

Companies pretty much gone and people are still going on about its practices and people who bought from them like they are criminals. :bonk:

what else do you call people who commit the offence of conspiring to evade customs duty ? ( By shipping cameras labelled as toy parts / not reporting receiving the same ) ?

Last edited:

no actually - everything ive bought s/h from MPB has come wth a 6 month warranty - and the transactions have all been legal, above board and tax paid.

no actually - everything ive bought s/h from MPB has come wth a 6 month warranty - and the transactions have all been legal, above board and tax paid.

Pete, see below I said most S/H kit not all S/H kit.

Last edited:
Which is true of anything you buy from anyone, anywhere, at any time, regardless of the manufacturer, supplier, or country.

So you are of the opinion the Sale of Goods Act gives you no rights with regard to items bought from a UK retailer?

So you are of the opinion the Sale of Goods Act gives you no rights with regard to items bought from a UK retailer?

I am. Maybe you can correct me, but I do not believe the Sale of Goods Act has the ability to force a company which is no longer in business to help with a repair.

what else do you call people who commit the offence of conspiring to evade customs duty ? ( By shipping cameras labelled as toy parts / not reporting receiving the same ) ?

The point is the threads pretty much carrying on from certain people preaching when the company clearly doesn't/isn't trading anymore. I bet you've NEVER done anything wrong in your life, lets not forget that not everyone knew the company was an importer.

Really, you don't understand how pathetic the 'I bet you've never done anything wrong' statement is?

I dont understand why certain people feel the need to try label others and make them feel like they've broken the law and scaremonger, as said some people didn't even know they were importing goods, if they did thats their problem, theirs no need to act holy, like they themselves have never done anything wrong or that they regret. I still don't think you understand how pathetic your random statement was.

My 'random statement' is pointing out that saying what amounts to "you can't say anything if you've ever done anything wrong in your life" holds as much water as a sieve, whether someone is patronising, judging or otherwise.

For the record, I have bought from Panamoz in the past, without looking much further than the low prices.

What Im saying is people shouldnt be hypocrites and that youre entitled to your opinion.

Last edited:
I dont understand why certain people feel the need to try label others and make them feel like they've broken the law and scaremonger, as said some people didn't even know they were importing goods, if they did thats their problem, theirs no need to act holy, like they themselves have never done anything wrong or that they regret. I still don't think you understand how pathetic your random statement was.

Ignorantia juris non excusat

illic nunquam a nocens vicis exhibeo off vestri latin ;)

I bought my 5d mk3 from a uk seller. Yes it cost me £200 more due to taxes, but I have a full uk warranty and as such canon will cover it for repairs. As a cps member it's also fully covered and they will lend me a replacement free of charge should mine need repairing. I have taken advantage of this facility when my 24-105 required repairing.

That to me is worth more than the possible initial saving, plus I'm sorry but tax avoidance is morally wrong, whether you're an individual or a large company.

I bought my 5d mk3 from a uk seller. Yes it cost me £200 more due to taxes, but I have a full uk warranty and as such canon will cover it for repairs. As a cps member it's also fully covered and they will lend me a replacement free of charge should mine need repairing. I have taken advantage of this facility when my 24-105 required repairing.

That to me is worth more than the possible initial saving, plus I'm sorry but tax avoidance is morally wrong, whether you're an individual or a large company.

Not really morally wrong as we already pay quite a high tax rate just so those people who are too lazy to get a job are living nice on a council house or flat whilst the rest of us work our buts off paying rent. Mortgages and bills

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back