PANAMOZ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
The main prejudice is due to the warranty issue, but if you are planning to resell after the manufacturers warranty has elapsed anyway there is no real issue anyway.

Otherwise the main differences is the language on the box and some items, such as the lower Canon DSLR's are called different things in different markets - eg the Rebel in the USA and the Kiss in Asia.

Manuals may well be in a different language and mains chargers may be different as well.

The other issue is that the apparent cheapness compared to other sources is that the customs valuation is usually for a very small amount, to try and minimise the amount of duty and VAT paid. It is the IMPORTERS responsibility to pay the correct amount...

I'd need to read up on the warranty terms but I believe lenses have a worldwide warranty, but camera bodies have a regional warranty.

pete s said:
I'm currently considering making my first purchse from Panamoz, having read such glowing reports on this thread. I first need to decide if it is to be a Canon 100-400 L, or a 300 F4L + x1.4TC, but that is another matter......

Anyhoo..... my question is not a purely Panamoz issue, but considering equipment purchased from HK, which I gather this is. Are these therefore termed as 'grey imports' and would it be likely that issues may arise with selling on these items as used in the future? By issues, I mean peoples apparent prejudice toward such imports, as opposed to UK supplied items.

Yes they are considered grey imports.

I don't see any issues re-selling items I've purchased from panamoz.

One thing to remember , it's exactly the same lens.
If people are purchasing second hand and out of warranty it shouldn't matter whether they are grey imports but people say that the sale price was less and they want the second hand price to be less.

I wouldn't hesitate buying a grey import new or second hand.

I'm sure I read here that MPB won't knowingly accept grey imports.

I'm going to buy a Sigma 150-500 as soon as I can raise some cash, Panamoz has the best deal at the moment.

Its been a good lens...use it for a lot of things

Last edited:
That's madness if true.

I wouldn't on principle if nothing else. They are harming the UK industry (which MPB is part of) by sending expensive gear into the country marked with no taxable value.

The vast majority here seem happy to turn a blind eye to this. Ironic given the recent storm over Amazon, Starbucks etc (and they were not even acting illegally).

I wouldn't on principle if nothing else. They are harming the UK industry (which MPB is part of) by sending expensive gear into the country marked with no taxable value.

The vast majority here seem happy to turn a blind eye to this. Ironic given the recent storm over Amazon, Starbucks etc (and they were not even acting illegally).
And neither is anyone who buys a grey market lens or camera, please dont tell me you've never taken advantage of the cheap booze/ciggies and perfume at the duty free shops in airports, even currys sell digital SLR's duty free at Heathrow

And neither is anyone who buys a grey market lens or camera, please dont tell me you've never taken advantage of the cheap booze/ciggies and perfume at the duty free shops in airports, even currys sell digital SLR's duty free at Heathrow

I don't drink or smoke, but...it's so different I wouldn't even know where to begin. Bringing in stuff like that in person is perfectly acceptable, and a world away from intentionally marking a much lower value on a package to avoid paying any tax. The importer is ultimately responsible, so if/when the brown stuff hits the fan with a package from the likes of Panamoz I would be very interested to see how they handle the fallout (after the buyer has dealt with it themselves, directing them to the sender won't work).

If people want to buy from companies helping them to avoid tax then that's up to them, but at the same time people asking about using these companies should be aware of the facts, I would assume many people believe the company they are ordering from would sort things out if they get caught (particularly when they say their prices are all inclusive), but that's a long way from the truth.

Last edited:
I don't drink or smoke, but...it's so different I wouldn't even know where to begin. Bringing in stuff like that in person is perfectly acceptable, and a world away from intentionally marking a much lower value on a package to avoid paying any tax. The importer is ultimately responsible, so if/when the brown stuff hits the fan with a package from the likes of Panamoz I would be very interested to see how they handle the fallout (after the buyer has dealt with it themselves, directing them to the sender won't work).

I can't talk about Panamoz, but I have had a package from digitalrev and that came with a tax bill and I emailed them and got refund straight away. After reading stuff from Panamoz, I can't see why they would be any different.

Fact is in life a huge percentage of people in this country like to break the rules! this can be anything from speeding, dodging tax, or piracy.

for instance, I know loads of people at work that have got bikes on the 'cycle to work' scheme. part of the terms say you must use the bike for a percentage of time to cycle to work. I know they don't and have just got a bike to avoid tax on it.

If anybody is worried about being hit with a tax / import bill 'as you are the importer' I would always argue the point that you bought the camera from a .co.uk website and it had a UK call center, and at no point does it state in any listing on the site that the price doesn't include VAT or any sort of tax.

If people want to buy from companies helping them to avoid tax then that's up to them, but at the same time people asking about using these companies should be aware of the facts, I would assume many people believe the company they are ordering from would sort things out if they get caught (particularly when they say their prices are all inclusive), but that's a long way from the truth.

How can you possibly insinuate Panamoz wouldn't sort it? Have you ordered from them and had problems with customs?

How can you possibly insinuate Panamoz wouldn't sort it? Have you ordered from them and had problems with customs?

Because the courier doesn't care who sent it, it's the responsibility of the importer (i.e. the buyer) to pay any fees etc. Sure you can contact Panamoz for a refund after (although if this started happening frequently their entire business model would unravel), but initially if UPS turn up on your doorstep asking for a few hundred quid before they release your shiny new camera, the onus is on the importer to hand over the cash/cheque.

Because the courier doesn't care who sent it, it's the responsibility of the importer (i.e. the buyer) to pay any fees etc. Sure you can contact Panamoz for a refund after (although if this started happening frequently their entire business model would unravel), but initially if UPS turn up on your doorstep asking for a few hundred quid before they release your shiny new camera, the onus is on the importer to hand over the cash/cheque.

Still no justification there for saying Panamoz would not sort it out though... really... is it?

Maybe you should leave this thread for folk either with direct experience, or people actually looking to buy from Panamoz.

MPB will not accept grey imports, I tried to sell a 7D a few weeks ago to them which was a grey.

Well I've emailed Tina @ Panamoz. I've got £529 waiting to wing itself to her tomorrow for a brand new D7000 including delivery and a 1 yr replacement guarantee. Can't grumble at that. (y) That's £101 cheaper than Dixons T5 can offer me at their 'tax free' price.

On a side note, Yes I'm aware of what we're doing. And yes I'm aware that the guarantee means nothing if they go belly up. I've weighed up the pro's and cons and I'll take the risk.

That hasn't answered my question in the slightest.

anyone have Tina's contact details? Only voicemail on their phone.

Are these guys definitely ok to order from? Pro camera shop is only £45 more for the 5d3 and are easy to reach by phone and very reliable...i dont know whether the saving is worth it but people seem satisfied with them on here :thinking:

anyone have Tina's contact details? Only voicemail on their phone.

They seem to only really deal with emails. They were away for a couple of weeks over Christmas, so are probably catching up. I am awaiting a reply back to an email conversation we were having yesterday.

..... Pro camera shop is only £45 more for the 5d3 and are easy to reach by phone and very reliable...

That's a matter of opinion & not universally accepted.

Last edited:
i accept that it is my opinion, it is an opinion formed from experience and about £2000 spent with procamerashop already. I have no reason to promote them or nock Panamoz. I simply want a 5d3 for the best price I can get one.

The lenses I ordered from Procamerashop over previously both came next day, shipped from the UK and as I have had no issued with them I have not used their warranty/customer service.

The difference in price is enough to warrant me going with Panamoz and Procamerashop wont price match, I've asked on two conversations I've had with them today. I just cant order from Panamoz as I've still no reply, I have emailed tina also.

Anyway, I understand they cannot get back to customers instantly but not being able to reach them on the phone and shipment from abroad (which I gather is usually the case from this thread) has made up the difference for me and I'll be going with Procamerashop. Again, no reflection on Panamoz as I've no dealings to speak of but the outcome of none the less.

Thanks

Can you not just order from the Panamoz website?

Unfortunately no, not if you want the extra 5%. You fill out a simple form on the site which they respond to by sending an email invoice for the product minus the 5%. I filled out theirs and the PCS one last night but only PCS have come back to me.

You can of course order directly via either site if you are not paying via BT.

Gary Coyle said:

Actually, anyone intentionally engaging in tax evasion IS acting illegally. I've not heard of anyone getting prosecuted, but it's still illegal.

ukaskew said:
I don't drink or smoke, but...it's so different I wouldn't even know where to begin. Bringing in stuff like that in person is perfectly acceptable, and a world away from intentionally marking a much lower value on a package to avoid paying any tax.
The correct term in his case would be 'evade' not avoid.

Last edited:
I just placed an order for a D7000. I got a reply from Tina after nudging her with a reminder email today for my invoice. All paid up now. Now the anxious wait.
I have broken every rule that I always laugh at others for not following:

Bank Transfer as payment
Ordering from outside the UK
Not having my hands on an expensive product before parting with my money
Trusting the internet

However an 18% discount over the Cheapest UK price with one years replacement warranty is just too good to turn down. It is only because of threads like this that I am willing to do it. Fingers crossed.

Ive emailed them also about a 5DMKIII have the funds waiting to be sent just hope they reply soon.

Ive emailed them also about a 5DMKIII have the funds waiting to be sent just hope they reply soon.

Would be keen to know how much it's going for these days. Last I heard was £1765, and that was on another thread before Christmas.

That hasn't answered my question in the slightest.

I clearly stated in my follow up post that you (the importer) have to deal with it initially, which was what I meant in my original post. I'm sure that Panamoz would reimburse you after (they say they will in their FAQ) but that wasn't the point I was making.

I made this point because I know a courier, and I know how often he gets abuse regarding collecting fees on the doorstep. A surprising number of people refuse and say 'get it from the shop I bought it from', which is of course not how it works in the slightest. We're not talking about trivial amounts here, based on some of the orders people have mentioned you could be presented with a bill for £400 or more to release your goods.

Anyhow, I've been asked to leave this thread, which is fair enough, that doesn't make comments like the one below any less infuriating though...

Probably because MPB ask more for second hand kit than brand new imported stuff. Crazy really.....I'd buy new from Panamoz any day of the week.

It's not crazy in the slightest when you consider exactly why Panamoz are so cheap. Fair enough use them if you are comfortable with them, but don't slate legitimate UK companies who don't stand a chance of even remotely competing with their prices.

Last edited:
ukaskew said:
I clearly stated in my follow up post that you (the importer) have to deal with it initially, which was what I meant in my original post. I'm sure that Panamoz would reimburse you after (they say they will in their FAQ) but that wasn't the point I was making.

I made this point because I know a courier, and I know how often he gets abuse regarding collecting fees on the doorstep. A surprising number of people refuse and say 'get it from the shop I bought it from', which is of course not how it works in the slightest. We're not talking about trivial amounts here, based on some of the orders people have mentioned you could be presented with a bill for £400 or more to release your goods.

Anyhow, I've been asked to leave this thread, which is fair enough, that doesn't make comments like the one below any less infuriating though...

It's not crazy in the slightest when you consider exactly why Panamoz are so cheap. Fair enough use them if you are comfortable with them, but don't slate legitimate UK companies who don't stand a chance of even remotely competing with their prices.

Just going over old ground. This thread is for people with experience of buying from Panamoz

Goodbye :)

Sorry are you a mod? I thought the thread was for discussion over buying items from Panamoz.

The company are evading paying uk tax, which is why the price is so cheap. Let's at least be honest about it. That's why the items come labeled as toy parts or any cheap item. They don't come labelled as camera or electronic items.

I don't see that as any difference with discussion about the warranty, or the extra payment for replacement item warranty. It's all part of the purchase and should be noted so that potential purchasers have the full story, not just the cheapest price.

What isn't disputed is that many people on here have had a good purchase from this supplier.

Last edited:
Just going over old ground. This thread is for people with experience of buying from Panamoz

Goodbye :)

+1. There have been several threads running for ages which cover all this stuff about Panamoz and other HK suppliers. I wish people would read those first (or even this thread from the start) before posting the same old questions and comments. ZzzzzZzzzzz.

+1. There have been several threads running for ages which cover all this stuff about Panamoz and other HK suppliers. I wish people would read those first (or even this thread from the start) before posting the same old questions and comments. ZzzzzZzzzzz.

As stated, the thread is about buying from panamoz. Any/all aspects are relevant.

Also telling someone to butt out because they haven't bought/refuse to buy from a particular seller & have no experience with them, is laughable (maybe defensive?). I bet most folk on here have discussed things with their mates, Ferrari's, space travel, pro photography .....even getting a girlfriend :wacky: without personal experience, but you still have an opinion.

Expecting posters to `search` through countless threads on importers, Hong Kong, online shopping etc before starting a thread is rediculous. Zzzzzz.

Expecting posters to `search` through countless threads on importers, Hong Kong, online shopping etc before starting a thread is rediculous. Zzzzzz.

:thinking: That's exactly why forums have a search facility built into them. These same questions have been asked and answered many, many times before. As for "countless" Panamoz threads, that's not entirely true. Not long ago I posted links to all the relevant Panamoz threads and there were only 3. The fact that there are many more is because posters haven't searched for them and just gone ahead and started new threads instead. Either they don't know how to use the search function or they're just being lazy :bonk:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back