Beginner Panasonic DMC TZ6 - Any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry pal, I don't have £90.

I'm only rich by name mate :LOL:
You’d be richer if, to be frank, you didn’t spend your cash on worthless tat. That is, if you would listen to the advice which you yourself had requested. No offence intended.

Has anyone thought that recommending very old dslr and lenses with no stabilisation is likely to end in disappointment for the OP?
Does anyone remember their first attempts being less than great, know I do.
Looking back it was mainly due to camera shake combined with wrong exposure settings.

Much easier to get something presentable from a compact or phone than even some of the latest interchangeable lens cameras.
They are designed to give something decent from a snap destined for Instagram or something similar.

You could possibly return the most recent purchase to CEX.

I don't know other brands, but in terms of a budget starter camera setup:
- Canon 350D, 400D, 450D, 500D - £ 30-£50.

If the camera doesn't come with a lens, you'll need one.
- Canon 18-55 "kit" lens, possibly one with image stabilisation, around £ 30 on ebay for one thats not sold as broken.

and maybe consider buying a longer lens as you're used to a x10 zoom on the compact.
- Canon 55-250 IS zoom lens or Sigma 70-300 APO - around £ 65 on ebay for a fully working one, possibly less

You'll need a memory card (Compact Flash or SD depending on the camera), possibly a spare battery and a padded camera bag. Stick it in auto to start with and experiment.

If you end up with a camera and need a memory card, I'll send one free. Others may be similarly generous with bits and bobs.

The potential quality you can achieve from an old DSLR and basic kit is actually very good, it requires some patience, some learning, and some experimenting, and above all a wish to learn.

You could start a '52' project. One photo on a given theme / topic per week. Submit photos for kind comment and critique. Week 1 of 2022 was "NEW", week 2 was "OLD", and week 3 was "RECEPTACLE" How you interpret the theme is up to you. There is nothing stopping you doing this with your current cameras either.

Has anyone thought that recommending very old dslr and lenses with no stabilisation is likely to end in disappointment for the OP?
Does anyone remember their first attempts being less than great, know I do.
Looking back it was mainly due to camera shake combined with wrong exposure settings.

Much easier to get something presentable from a compact or phone than even some of the latest interchangeable lens cameras.
They are designed to give something decent from a snap destined for Instagram or something similar.

Older DSLR's are of course a risk but my first digital SLR was the 300D and it's capable of results that can be printed to A3 and framed even with a kit lens. The latest interchangeable lens cameras are more expensive and even a first generation Panasonic G1 or GF1 plus a lens will very probably be more expensive, round about the £100 mark. I know this because I've sat and priced them up with the OP in mind. Personally I wouldn't see IS as a necessity, not at 18-55mm even if this is APS-C.

Camera phones are another possibility but how much will anything decent be? And then there's the question of if a camera phone and it's avalanche of software can match an old DSLR?

PS.
When I got the Canon 300D I'd been using an SLR and other cameras for maybe 30 years so I suppose that helped, but even a newbe shouldn't be afraid of this sort of camera, IMO, as learning with digital is pretty easy and cheap.

Last edited:
How much do MK1 Sony RX100 go for these days, still have mine and it still stands up well to a much bigger and more expensive camera.

I can't sell them via conventional means and I can't be arsed to chuck 'em on eBay, too much faffery with the post.

CEX won't take them because they're so old and local camera shop Harrison's on London Road also won't take them due to their age :crying:
But they were happy enough to sell them to you ..

A sale took place, with goods valued at a certain amount taken in exchange of money.
What part of I did not hand over any money do you not understand? I traded it £24 worth of games, the camera was £20, I just gave back the voucher and they crossed £20 off it.

Do you see? :D

What part of I did not hand over any money do you not understand? I traded it £24 worth of games, the camera was £20, I just gave back the voucher and they crossed £20 off it.

Dear lord. I believe you’re a good guy but I’m getting more gray hairs over the antics with you and bad camera choices than I’ve had before on this forum on nearly a decade

but the games must have cost more than £24 in the first place ...your logic does indeed bewilder me at times ..just wish there was some way we could get you a dslr and half decent lens to get you started .. but seriously rich if you do finally listen to what your being told and get something , can I ask what computer are you running and what software do you have access to .. as this hobby is more than just a camera and lens ???

but the games must have cost more than £24 in the first place ...your logic does indeed bewilder me at times ..just wish there was some way we could get you a dslr and half decent lens to get you started .. but seriously rich if you do finally listen to what your being told and get something , can I ask what computer are you running and what software do you have access to .. as this hobby is more than just a camera and lens ???
I believe he’s already said he’s using Linux.

You did though.

You had £24 cash now you have a £20 camera and £4 cash.
Therefore it cost you £20.

No, he has a £5 camera and a £4 voucher. I have a £1 coin that I'll swap with him for the voucher...

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

I use a similar logic when I sell something or win on the premium bonds. Anything I buy with that extra money is free.

I use a similar logic when I sell something or win on the premium bonds. Anything I buy with that extra money is free.
I feel the same when I use the credit card

:banghead: :banghead:

They gave me a £20 VOUCHER! FFS how hard is it?!
£20 voucher is not different in kind from a £20 Treasury Note really and that’s the point people are making. Only in the degree of trust you place in the issuer and how many others will accept them in trade.

Do you usually pay in gold sovereigns? ;)

:banghead: :banghead:

They gave me a £20 VOUCHER! FFS how hard is it?!
The camera cost you £20 though, doesn't matter what currency you used.
You left with a £20 camera and £4.
You could have left with £24 and no camera.

Technically they didn't sell it, I traded in 3 Xbox games for £24 voucher, and used some of the voucher on the price of the camera.
Technically, they had it for sale. You traded games and used the voucher they gave you to buy it. So they sold it/you bought it, paid by voucher.
That's not really that hard to understand either.....

Did the confusion over what was for sale get resolved.
Presumably it was the camera (free or otherwise) mentioned here that was on offer.

A little off topic, are Cex decent for camera equipment, not cheap stuff but fairly decent gear?

Do they even still exist I wonder?

surprisingly, yes - i say surprisingly, because they've survived the Sex Scandal (Madame Cynthia...) and the government taking away tax relief on them - closing a loophole where city boys would be paid £100 a day "lunch money" in them to avoid paying their dues.

Bodies tend to be on the shelf without body caps fitted. Not sure I've ever seen anything over entry level kit in our local one.

A little off topic, are Cex decent for camera equipment, not cheap stuff but fairly decent gear?

I bought an Olympus 75-300mm lens from them for a very good price.
They offer a good warranty (2 yrs IIRC) which is miles better than most camera retailers. Returns are also generous from memory.
For popular stuff they grade A, B and C etc.
My lens was just listed with no grade so I was braced to return it if it wasn't good enough.
When it turned up it was clean and tidy, fully boxed with caps at a price I was happy to pay.
I've never seen anything I want to buy in the local store but online is worth a browse.
Some prices are keen, some are terrible and the descriptions can be inaccurate or incomplete so pay attention.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back