Beginner Panasonic DMC TZ6 - Any good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Name
Richard Allen
Edit My Images
No
Above.

I just got it free from CEX for trading in £24 worth of games for a £20 camera.

I took a snap of the guy who sold it to check it works and the pic looked good (I asked his permission first)

What do you guys think of the equipment?

You'd be better off saving all the money you've spent on these low end 10+ year old point and shoot cameras and spending it on a 10+ year old DSLR, at least you'll get some decent image quality.

Horses for courses though, what do you intend to shoot with it? Work within a cameras limits and you'd be surprised at the results, but I stand by my previous statement.

You keep getting these old cameras ,yes they will work but in a limited fashion . But if your happy so be it

Above.

I took a snap of the guy who sold it to check it works and the pic looked good (I asked his permission first)

Nope! Buy the Nikon D3000 I’ve got up for sale or Canon Rebel. That’ll knock the socks off everything and you’ll immediately consign any of the other stuff you’ve bought over the last few weeks to the recycling..

I've just checked evil bay and there's a Panasonic G1 at a buy it now price of £39.99 and £8.99 postage and a 14-42mm lens for £30 ONO and £8.95 postage. I had a G1 for quite a while and I loved it, it's the best handling camera I've ever had and I'd save up for a combo like that rather than struggle along with old compacts.

You'll possibly get a DSLR and kit lens for less though.

Last edited:
I’d seriously think about taking onboard some of the good advice you’ve been given on this and other threads rather than continuing to waste your money on an ever increasing list of obsolete point and shoot cameras

I agree with everyone else. You're money could be spent better, far better.

Above.

Not really a great deal. You can get the TZ6 or far better if you MUSt have a compact camera for around £10...........................

I agree with everyone else. You're money could be spent better, far better.

A memory card for a used DSLR would be fine. To avoid the obvious of pushing you to buy the one I'm selling, just cast your eye over ebay at these....

I think first of all you need to think what sort of photography you actually want to do and if it is just snaps then you have a good deal, if you have a look around there are many brands of cameras some good some great and others not so great. If it was me then I would save some money and go for a better camera, maybe a compact or even Mirrorless then get one lens and slowly build up when you know just what you want to photograph.

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

A memory card for a used DSLR would be fine. To avoid the obvious of pushing you to buy the one I'm selling, just cast your eye over ebay at these....

I put a bid on the Nikon this morning, and up to now I'm winning on £52.20, £4.80 postage to round it up to £57.

I put a bid on the Nikon this morning, and up to now I'm winning on £52.20, £4.80 postage to round it up to £57.

I don't understand, this is a Buy it now up for £39.99 or maybe you're talking about a different camera? The other one linked?

Last edited:
Good.

I hope it works out for you but the lens is a bit disappointing, a 18-50mm would IMO be a better bet as you're losing the wide end with that 35-80mm.

He probably cancelled the bid then because he knows it's me.

I wouldn't mind but he told me to bid... Smh.

If you've lost out on that one I'd call it a close shave and move on because of that lens.

I've just checked and there are many Canon 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 lenses for sale so I'd look for a body with that lens or a body with no lens and buy the lens separately.

PS.
I've just spotted a Canon 20D for £29.99 with free delivery which seems to good to be true but the guy has 100% feedback. There are lots of 20D's with lenses too.

Last edited:
Good.

I hope it works out for you but the lens is a bit disappointing, a 18-50mm would IMO be a better bet as you're losing the wide end with that 35-80mm.
Not half as disappointing as what the op has been buying so far ....

Reactions: Nod
Sorry pal, I don't have £90.

I'm only rich by name mate :LOL:

You might be able to get a 20D and 18-55mm for about £70. That does seem possible on ebay today. Just checked and that cheap 20D sale has ended, I think it was unsold and if so it may be relisted. If not the seller has other DSLR's. Looking online a DSLR and kit lens can be found for about £70-80 but this may mean buying them separately.

If you can resist buying these old compacts and maybe even sell a couple if you can you might soon have the money. Frankly, and sorry to say this Richard but you are throwing good money after bad if you keep on going down this old compact route.

I think I still have a couple of old memory cards in a draw somewhere so if you do get a DSLR and it doesn't come with a memory card I'll send you one. If I do still have them, and I think I do.

Last edited:
You might be able to get a 20D and 18-55mm for about £70. That does seem possible on ebay today.

If you can resist buying these old compacts and maybe even sell a couple if you can you might soon have the money. Frankly, and sorry to say this Richard but you are throwing good money after bad if you keep on going down this old compact route.

I think I still have a couple of old memory cards in a draw somewhere so if you do get a DSLR and it doesn't come with a memory card I'll send you one. If I do still have them, and I think I do.
I can't sell them via conventional means and I can't be arsed to chuck 'em on eBay, too much faffery with the post.

CEX won't take them because they're so old and local camera shop Harrison's on London Road also won't take them due to their age :crying:

I can't sell them via conventional means and I can't be arsed to chuck 'em on eBay, too much faffery with the post.

CEX won't take them because they're so old and local camera shop Harrison's on London Road also won't take them due to their age :crying:

That's a shame. I do think the best thing to do is wait until you can get enough money together for something decent. I used a Canon 20D for seven years and I still look at pictures I took with that camera today. In your place I'd look at the Canon 300D, 350D, 20D or even the 10D and a 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 kit lens.

Just had a thought. That 18-55mm kit lens will be EF-S and wont fit a 10D. Sorry. That lens will only fit EF-S compatible cameras. AFAIK.

Last edited:

This really. Advice has been consistent over several similar threads: don't waste small amounts of good money on things that aren't useful, but rather save the little bits of cash you get and then buy something more useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back