"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

My Panasonic G9 is stuck in silent mode, it is greyed out on the menu and when I try to open it it says “cannot change in this menu” or words similar.

I don't know if I have changed something else that needs putting back first to open the option back up? I have gone all the way through all the menus and I can't think of a way to get out of silent mode, any advice gratefully received.

WHOOOOPS - update, button on front of camera that switches to silent mode. Completely forgot that was there and must have caught it accidentally.

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Last edited:
Just about to say that but you beat me to it. Couple of things I have added to he G(9and that is the kit lens the 12-60 mm leica lens and the !00-300 Lumix lens Yesaterday wrist strap arrived

I debated for a long time if to get the Peak design cuff or the peak design clutch as I already have the next strap for the G9 and another for my Nikon cameras. then I noticed a paracord version on Amazon as below

SUNYA Camera Wrist Strap for Photogr...

Sold by SUNYA SPORTS (EU)
£11.89
so I bought it and it is so comforable but still using the PK quick release buttons . This I attached to the bottom of the camera so it didn't get in the way of the camera buttons and well clear of the battery lid. this still left me clear to use the camera straps as normal. the little hex key I now keep on my key ring

thse PK cords are tested for up to 8000 lb weight so no fear of them breaking
at least now shoujld my grip loosen eithout a neck strap the camera should be safer

Last edited:
Keith as you have the same camera what lenses do you have to go with it?

Last edited:
My Panasonic G9 is stuck in silent mode, it is greyed out on the menu and when I try to open it it says “cannot change in this menu” or words similar.

I don't know if I have changed something else that needs putting back first to open the option back up? I have gone all the way through all the menus and I can't think of a way to get out of silent mode, any advice gratefully received.

WHOOOOPS - update, button on front of camera that switches to silent mode. Completely forgot that was there and must have caught it accidentally.

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
Glad you found it Keith, i had the same thing so i know how you felt.

Well I think this is a Sparrowhawk but I do struggle with these and Kestrels when in flight. I think the Kestrel has more prominent spots on the upper wing.
It was zooming across the riverside fields where I walk the other day.
Panasonic G9 100-400mm and a very heavy crop on the JPeg.
0007 24 05 24.JPG

Well I think this is a Sparrowhawk but I do struggle with these and Kestrels when in flight. I think the Kestrel has more prominent spots on the upper wing.
It was zooming across the riverside fields where I walk the other day.
Panasonic G9 100-400mm and a very heavy crop on the JPeg.
View attachment 423864
Yes it is indeed a Sparrowhawk Keith.

Messing around with extension tubes between a 35-100mm and a GH2: crumpled foil..

Crumpled alluminium foil extension tubes GH2 P1320263.jpg

Something I have been toying with for a long time - whether to buy the Pana 14-140mm MkII lens.
Just seen an excellent condition one for £350 but that's still a lot of money for me.

The reasons being the days when I want to travel fairly light for scenic projects and buildings, churchyards etc. The advantage of having the extra stretch over the 12-60mm could be very handy at times, also I'm thinking this could be a good insect close-up lens - enough working distance not to spook the bugs but much lighter and easier than the 100-400mm I lug around for that now.

The downside is this, I love having the big zoom with me and my first love is wildlife, so although I am sure I will enjoy the 14-140, realistically how much am I going to get from it for shelling out £350 precious pounds. Most of my scenic/structure days are of the nature where I can close in on subjects, so the 12-60mm does a fine job. How often will my photography really benefit from a 14-140mm.

Hmmmm ............

Something I have been toying with for a long time - whether to buy the Pana 14-140mm MkII lens.
Just seen an excellent condition one for £350 but that's still a lot of money for me.

The reasons being the days when I want to travel fairly light for scenic projects and buildings, churchyards etc. The advantage of having the extra stretch over the 12-60mm could be very handy at times, also I'm thinking this could be a good insect close-up lens - enough working distance not to spook the bugs but much lighter and easier than the 100-400mm I lug around for that now.

The downside is this, I love having the big zoom with me and my first love is wildlife, so although I am sure I will enjoy the 14-140, realistically how much am I going to get from it for shelling out £350 precious pounds. Most of my scenic/structure days are of the nature where I can close in on subjects, so the 12-60mm does a fine job. How often will my photography really benefit from a 14-140mm.

Hmmmm ............

Every day :)
it is about the same size as the 12-60, and lives on the G9 I use daily.

I use close up lenses on it (haven't seen any real loss of quality except in the very corners, which are usually cropped out anyway).

My son has an older Mk1 on his G80, and that lives on it too.

I didn't pay £350 for mine, but prices do seem high at the moment, must be summer :)

To me it is one of the essential 3 for general use, 7-14, 14-140 and 100-300. All three and the camera fit in a small bag and give a huge range.

Hmmmm ............

If you are willing to change lenses I can recommend the cheap but IMO good Panasonic 45-150mm which can be found used for under £100. You might even be able to pick up that lens and a decent used body to mount it on to cut out the in the field lens changes for under £350.

If you are willing to change lenses I can recommend the cheap but IMO good Panasonic 45-150mm which can be found used for under £100. You might even be able to pick up that lens and a decent used body to mount it on to cut out the in the field lens changes for under £350.
I agree it is a good lens, and have suggested it in the past, they are very good, I have one, and they can be updated to give dual IOS, however it is lacking as an all round lens, as you say, you have to change lenses or have two bodies. I believe he still has his G80 so could use a 14-42 on that. It covers the range like that, but not at all convenient :)

I agree it is a good lens, and have suggested it in the past, they are very good, I have one, and they can be updated to give dual IOS, however it is lacking as an all round lens, as you say, you have to change lenses or have two bodies. I believe he still has his G80 so could use a 14-42 on that. It covers the range like that, but not at all convenient :)

It was just a suggestion. Another point is that very long focal range lenses often involve compromises and 14-140mm is quite a big range to cover well. One combination I do like is a fast prime on one body and the 45-150mm on another. That's not to everyone's taste but it is a different solution to at least consider rather than the 14-140mm.

Yeah that's the thing though WW, 45mm at the short end means another lens for scenic trips and chopping and changing. Kinda tempted by the 14-140 for that 14mm scenic option and some decent zoom as a bonus, and practically the same size as the 12-60mm.
I often pack the G80 with the short lens and the G9 with the 100-400mm on days out, I imagine the 14-140mm would give me full options if on the G80 instead. Plus a single lens for days out with one camera and one lens in a smaller bag.

Every day :)
it is about the same size as the 12-60, and lives on the G9 I use daily.

I use close up lenses on it (haven't seen any real loss of quality except in the very corners, which are usually cropped out anyway).

My son has an older Mk1 on his G80, and that lives on it too.

I didn't pay £350 for mine, but prices do seem high at the moment, must be summer :)

To me it is one of the essential 3 for general use, 7-14, 14-140 and 100-300. All three and the camera fit in a small bag and give a huge range.
I can see the logic there. I carried the two cameras today with 12-60mm plus 100-400mm, I don't mind lugging the weight and it covers pretty much all I ever need, however, on days when I'm not after wildlife options, the 14-140mm sounds very good for single camera + small bag days arounds buildings, street, scenic etc.

Yeah that's the thing though WW, 45mm at the short end means another lens for scenic trips and chopping and changing. Kinda tempted by the 14-140 for that 14mm scenic option and some decent zoom as a bonus, and practically the same size as the 12-60mm.
I often pack the G80 with the short lens and the G9 with the 100-400mm on days out, I imagine the 14-140mm would give me full options if on the G80 instead. Plus a single lens for days out with one camera and one lens in a smaller bag.

For a one camera and lens combination in good light it does make sense on newer bodies if you'll be happy with the image quality it gives. I do remember that back in the days of shutter shock that lens was known to be affected but these days with cameras with the new shutter that shouldn't be an issue.

I am sort of tempted myself. The first review I Googled my way to described the image quality as being on "the good side of average" and that may well be good enough for a day out lens.

Last edited:
For a one camera and lens combination in good light it does make sense on newer bodies if you'll be happy with the image quality it gives. I do remember that back in the days of shutter shock that lens was known to be affected but these days with cameras with the new shutter that shouldn't be an issue.

I am sort of tempted myself. The first review I Googled my way to described the image quality as being on "the good side of average" and that may well be good enough for a day out lens.
In all honesty I think modern lenses are of such a high standard that anything that is considered on the good side of average would be more than enough for me, especially with the cameras we have today. I'm not somebody who inspects my images for perfection, or gets a bit fussy over little imperfections.

I understand it matters to some people and they want the very best lenses for their cameras, but apart from my wildlife on the long lens, I tend to take what I can get with the others and if the results are comparative to the 12 -60mm then that will do me fine.

I will sit tight now and wait and see what my finances are like over the next couple of months, if I'm feeling a bit flush a little later in the year then I may decide to take the plunge. It does sound like a good option for me but it's going to have to sit in the list of priorities for a few weeks.

In all honesty I think modern lenses are of such a high standard that anything that is considered on the good side of average would be more than enough for me, especially with the cameras we have today. I'm not somebody who inspects my images for perfection, or gets a bit fussy over little imperfections.

I think that about sums it up.
I don't think I would take much notice of a rating like that, sounds like someone writing a "clever sounding" review for payment without actually getting off his seat and doing any work :)

I find the lens to be very sharp in direct comparison with anything I have for the 5Diii, which agrees with reviews I have seen (the very sharp, not the comparison with Canon).

I think that about sums it up.
I don't think I would take much notice of a rating like that, sounds like someone writing a "clever sounding" review for payment without actually getting off his seat and doing any work :)

I find the lens to be very sharp in direct comparison with anything I have for the 5Diii, which agrees with reviews I have seen (the very sharp, not the comparison with Canon).
I think the sensors and the cameras have something to do with it as well. All of my lenses do a good job on the G80, but they seem a little bit cleaner and sharper on the G9. There's very little in it though and not enough to bother me. Everyone goes on about getting good glass, and for good reasons, but better sensor tech and advanced cameras play a massive part too in my opinion.

So I had an hour after work to pop out and decided to leave the G9 and 100-400mm at home. I headed to the local graveyard (yet again, I love it over there) with the much lighter G80 and 100-300mm to have a go at the numerous Jackdaws that hop around the gravestones looking for bugs and worms on the grass. I find it all too easy to become fixated on the bigger rig, but for short fun trips, do I really need to keep lugging the bigger bag and gear about?

Note - My 100-300mm is the older Mega OIS version. Also it was a miserably dull afternoon (and my images lose sharpness when I post here.)

Well I had fun, and quite enjoyed the results. The hit rate is a bit higher on the G9 and 100-400mm, but the G80 and older lens did pretty darn well in all honesty and more than capable of a good day out.

I've included a blurred image in this report that always has me puzzled with the G80, I'll start with it.
Even at SS1/1000 sometimes the slightest movement of the bird and the entire image seems to blur? I wonder if the focus box is slightly too big and it's caught between bird or background. This is probably why I need more wildlife trips with this rig to sharpen my own skills and get the best from the camera.
000006 28 5 24.jpg

BIF is not this rigs strongpoint, but it locked on to this one well and I find with practice the camera does better, so it's often me to blame.
Not great quality but it wasn't the conditions for this shot, just wanted to see if I could nail the BIF.
000001 28 05 24.jpg

Love the way it grabbed this distant BIF landing. Big crop to get close, it was a good distance away but the rig did really well.
000004 28 05 24.jpg

Three more images from the late afternoon trip.
000002 28 05 24.jpg
000003 28 05 24.jpg
000007 28 05 24.jpg

Last edited:
I wish I hadn't read that!
It looks as if there's a substantial amount of speculation in that. The reality may differ considerably.

On a positive note Olympus went through difficulties but are still as far as I know making and selling cameras and lenses.

I had thought that Panasonic are just too big to run into trouble or exit the market but I suppose it is an ever shrinking market. I do hope that camera kit as we know it continues to exist in more or less the form it's in now.

I like the RF style Panasonic cameras and I have GM5, GX80 and GX9 but I gather that cameras in this style aren't made any more. I have the three so they should keep me going for quite a while but if they all died and if used ones looked unattractive due to age or whatever other reason I think rather than move to a SLR type MFT camera I'd sell off my lenses and just use my Sony FF.

Anyway. Hope it doesn't come to that.

Last edited:
On a positive note Olympus went through difficulties but are still as far as I know making and selling cameras and lenses.

I had thought that Panasonic are just too big to run into trouble or exit the market but I suppose it is an ever shrinking market. I do hope that camera kit as we know it continues to exist in more or less the form it's in now.

I like the RF style Panasonic cameras and I have GM5, GX80 and GX9 but I gather that cameras in this style aren't made any more. I have the three so they should keep me going for quite a while but if they all died and if used ones looked unattractive due to age or whatever other reason I think rather than move to a SLR type MFT camera I'd sell off my lenses and just use my Sony FF.

Judging by the comments the camera section isn't a problem, but there is a risk it could become a sacrificial lamb to reduce overheads and heal the wounds of poor business elsewhere. Let's hope it doesn't come to that, I love my Panasonic cameras and would hate to see them go.

Err, no. Olympus 'sold'* its camera division to JIP and everything is now labelled OM System. As this happened in 2021 I'm surprised you hadn't noticed.

*Where 'sold' means 'paid JIP to take it away'.

Err, no. Olympus 'sold'* its camera division to JIP and everything is now labelled OM System. As this happened in 2021 I'm surprised you hadn't noticed.

*Where 'sold' means 'paid JIP to take it away'.

Err. I do know all that :D but didn't see the need to go into it here when the kit is still the same and people still afaik refer to them the same. A bit like in the car industry, one of my cars is was made by a company which has been under multiple different owners but they're still making cars and the badge is still exactly the same and that's not unusual across many market segments and products.

So hopefully you can live with my admittedly somewhat lazy post above :D

My burst mode will only take 3 shots on the G9?
Fired off loads yesterday and I haven't played with any settings?

My burst mode will only take 3 shots on the G9?
Fired off loads yesterday and I haven't played with any settings?
Bit of a long shot! ... Are you using the same SD card? A slow card and it might appear to slow up or stop after 3 shots. :thinking:

Could have got onto exposure bracket?

Bit of a long shot! ... Are you using the same SD card? A slow card and it might appear to slow up or stop after 3 shots. :thinking:
Same cards folks, I'll swap them this afternoon in case one has developed a glitch but I can't really see that.
Not sure what you mean by exposure bracket but I only formatted the cards from the previous day so the menu hasn't been fiddled with.

My first burst mode setting is always set to reel off a run of images, either in High burst rate or Medium, I tried both yesterday but on every burst the camera stops at 3 shots and you have to release the button, re-focus and fire 3 shots again. My second burst rate is set on pre-burst to catch the 0.4sec before you presss the button, this works fine as does the video.

In single burst mode I also tried electric and mechanical shutter and they both stop every time after 3 shots ?

Last edited:
Keith, in your Drive Modes, where you select Burst, you'll have Auto Brackets (as @Sangoma mentioned). That's got to be the answer.

Look at the sets of 3 shots taken, the same but different Exposure, Aperture or Focus?

That's what brackets are: shots, the number pre-set to 3, 5 or 7, the same but different.

You can access Brackets in the Rec menu, page 2 probably.

Could have got onto exposure bracket?

Keith, in your Drive Modes, where you select Burst, you'll have Auto Brackets (as @Sangoma mentioned). That's got to be the answer.

Look at the sets of 3 shots taken, the same but different Exposure, Aperture or Focus?

That's what brackets are: shots, the number pre-set to 3, 5 or 7, the same but different.
That's what it was gents, although how on earth it was engaged is a mystery. I can only presume that the camera was accidentally switched on when put in the bag and when lifting out I entered the menus and made changes before realising the camera was on.

That on/off switch on the G9 is a pain, I can see why they changed it for the new model. Thanks for the help guys.

That's what it was gents, although how on earth it was engaged is a mystery. I can only presume that the camera was accidentally switched on when put in the bag and when lifting out I entered the menus and made changes before realising the camera was on.

That on/off switch on the G9 is a pain, I can see why they changed it for the new model. Thanks for the help guys.

The same thing has happened to me Keith. Odd things are often just an accidental button push or switch flick away.

Glad you found the problem. The next problem is remembering the cause if it happens again :D

Hi folks, hope all is well.

I'm back in the M43s cameras but sticking with small bodies and small lenses to use more frequently than the big FF cameras.

I've got a GX80 and 20mm 1.7 that I'm having a lot of fun with and I'm planning on trading the GX880 I have for a GX9 tomorrow.

What small lenses would you recommend?

I'm thinking of sticking with small primes or compact zooms really. Keep the set up as small as possible.

Back