"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

Rich - is the 9-18 not that sharp? Are you not overly happy with it?

Happy with it so far, seems pretty sharp and contrasty. My only complaint really is the price. £500. I reckon the Oly 12mm would be £300 and offer equivalent sharpness.

After using the 20mm quite a bit I think I am leaning towards usage of primes more than zooms. I have a feeling that my trip next week will change my mind as I feel the 9-18 has great potential, I just haven't had the time to really use it.

is anyone planning to get the new 14mm 2.5 pancake?

Hell yes. When the price, whatever it might be, drops a bit :D My GF1 then really will be my perfect mountain landscape camera. My 14-45 spends most of its time on 14mm anyway so it makes sense for me.

Edit: 3rd batch of exclusively GF1 pics passed Alamy QC this morning. Anyone who claims the image quality from this camera can't cut it is, quite frankly, talking out their bumhole.

Last edited:
Hell yes. When the price, whatever it might be, drops a bit :D My GF1 then really will be my perfect mountain landscape camera. My 14-45 spends most of its time on 14mm anyway so it makes sense for me.

Edit: 3rd batch of exclusively GF1 pics passed Alamy QC this morning. Anyone who claims the image quality from this camera can't cut it is, quite frankly, talking out their bumhole.

Are the ones on your website taken with the GF1. Some lovely photos there.

Dudie - I'd be interested to see some of your Alamy pics, especially the GF1 ones - I've been thinking about trying submitting some.

Are the ones on your website taken with the GF1. Some lovely photos there.

Thanks! Nothing from the GF1 on there yet. Will put some up soon though.

There's a few pics from my first two GF1 uploads here Grum: http://www.alamy.com/lbx.asp?933722

The latest batch won't be viewable until tomorrow. Everything so far has been taken at ISO100 and the raw files subject to minimal processing (little more than contrast/sat adjustments in ACR).

Thanks! Nothing from the GF1 on there yet. Will put some up soon though.

There's a few pics from my first two GF1 uploads here Grum: http://www.alamy.com/lbx.asp?933722

The latest batch won't be viewable until tomorrow. Everything so far has been taken at ISO100 and the raw files subject to minimal processing (little more than contrast/sat adjustments in ACR).

Nice photos of Banneau Sir Gaer. I bet you were glad you weren't carrying an heavy DSLR up there. It's a real slog to the top.

I need to get back to using the GF1 again.

One thing i have been looking at is the "LensBaby".
Wondering how well it'd work on the GF1.

I wonder if someone could offer me an answer to this:

If I buy the Olympus E-P2 and Panasonic lenses would I get better IS if as well as the in-body IS I switch on the lens IS? Or would this cause problems?

See it as a challenge Alan, how big will this one get before the gardeners come back again. ;)

Cannot really see the reasoning behind it......but as they always used to say when I was at work...."The Boss always Knows Best"

Or perhaps they don't like to see this camera so popular and producing such super results and shouted about in such numbers of posts.

Thanks Dudie, nice pics too.

I wonder if someone could offer me an answer to this:

If I buy the Olympus E-P2 and Panasonic lenses would I get better IS if as well as the in-body IS I switch on the lens IS? Or would this cause problems?

I seem to remember reading somewhere it won't work. The 20mm 1.7 plus IBIS would be a pretty powerful combo anyway though.

Re closing the thread - I wonder if it somehow puts more strain on the database etc having such huge thread?

:shrug: perhaps the database isn't designed for such massive threads. It was pretty huge.

If I was looking round the web for info on a GF1 I don't know that I'd start a 100+ page thread.

Starting a new thread means it might encourage others who were put off by the larger thread to contribute.

Thanks Dudie, nice pics too.

Re closing the thread - I wonder if it somehow puts more strain on the database etc having such huge thread?

If this is the case why don't they just tell us and we would all understand.

Nice photos of Banneau Sir Gaer. I bet you were glad you weren't carrying an heavy DSLR up there. It's a real slog to the top.

Thanks Barbara. Last time I was up there (in a howling gale and torrential rain) I was lugging 1.2kg's worth of DSLR and lens with me. The GF1 is brilliant in this respect, weighing approximately nothing. Hardly notice it dangling off my rucksac hipbelt in a small pouch. The added bonus is that when the rain does start, I can just stow it inside my waterproof jacket. Couldn't do that with an SLR without buying a jacket several sizes too big!

Took the GF1 round the Snowdon horseshoe at the weekend, attached to my hipbelt as usual and it didn't get in the way on the scrambling sections at all. Usually, my DSLR has to retire to the confines of my rucksac so it doesn't get battered as I wriggle up the rocky bits.

Thanks Barbara. Last time I was up there (in a howling gale and torrential rain) I was lugging 1.2kg's worth of DSLR and lens with me. The GF1 is brilliant in this respect, weighing approximately nothing. Hardly notice it dangling off my rucksac hipbelt in a small pouch. The added bonus is that when the rain does start, I can just stow it inside my waterproof jacket. Couldn't do that with an SLR without buying a jacket several sizes too big!

Took the GF1 round the Snowdon horseshoe at the weekend, attached to my hipbelt as usual and it didn't get in the way on the scrambling sections at all. Usually, my DSLR has to retire to the confines of my rucksac so it doesn't get battered as I wriggle up the rocky bits.

Arrrgh this is doing my nut in :bang::bang:

DSLR vs M43 :shrug:

Get a grip man, you've used m4/3 for ages, what's wrong with it? I've had a GF1 print, taken at night, made into a four foot wide canvas ffs and its perfect. Stop agonising and go and take pics and enjoy your Lumix kit!!!!! ;)

P1010608.jpg

I know a lot of people have been eager to try the adapters on the m4/3rds systems (and I'm no exception to this) but I also wondered how many people have continued to use them on a daily basis once they got over the initial excitement?

Any tips for someone looking to pickup some manual focus glass (that isn't totally disproportionate to the camera size)? I tend to shoot wide to normal, mainly street so between 24-90mm (35 equiv).

Last edited by a moderator:

Now you know why they train the SAS on Banneau Sir Gaer.:puke:

If its any help, I sold my Nikon D300 and f2.8 lenses to buy my GF1 and 14-45 ( plus another camera for 15x zoom shots) and to be honest, I didnt miss the Nikon for a while. Then, I thought it would be nice to have another DSLR if only for longer zooms. The compact I bought for distance photography really didnt hold up at long focal lengths. So, I got a D70s and 70-300 lens, which was superb.
I have reviewed loads of my pics taken with the D300 and GF1 and find it very difficult to tell the difference. Sure, there are subtle differences in quality where the big Nikon really showed who was boss, but taking the GF1 out, even with the "big" 14-45 lens attached is a much easier and less obtrusive.

Handling the D70s again showed how cumbersome a DSLR was for my sort of photography, so that is soon going ( in the For Sale thread) and I just picked up a Nikon Coolpix P7000 with 28-200mm zoom, so now my long shots are covered with a great quality camera too.

For some, the GF1 wont replace a DSLR. Forme, and many others, it does. I lose a little in picture quality and gain a lot in convenience.

Only you can make the decision. If you can afford too, get the GF1 first, there are a few for sale in this forum, and see how you get on with it.

Allan

Very good picture and look like very good software to get rid of the noise too can you post the image without it been edited to reduce noise to see what they like

Shame we have to buy software to rid the noise

I know a lot of people have been eager to try the adapters on the m4/3rds systems (and I'm no exception to this) but I also wondered how many people have continued to use them on a daily basis once they got over the initial excitement?

Any tips for someone looking to pickup some manual focus glass (that isn't totally disproportionate to the camera size)? I tend to shoot wide to normal, mainly street so between 24-90mm (35 equiv).

If you want small manual lenses from other systems you need to look at the Leica M and thread mount adapters as other bodies tended to have the film further from the lens mount, so adapters will be bigger. With any of these you'll be fighting the 2x focal length multiplier if you want wide lenses, so you'll not find too much choice.

Voigtlander do lenses in the Leica mounts from 12mm upwards so that would give you the 24mm you want. http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/products.asp?PT_ID=706

Note that Voigtlander are doing the 25mm for MFT so more might be on the way. http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/products.asp?PT_ID=780

If you're looking for lower cost options you could look for something like the old Jupiter lenses in Leica thread mount: Jupiter 12 (35/2.8), 8 (50/2), 9 (85/2) -- don't forget these will be 70mm, 100mm and 170mm equiv. so not wide.

Last edited:
Very good picture and look like very good software to get rid of the noise too can you post the image without it been edited to reduce noise to see what they like

Shame we have to buy software to rid the noise

Here's the photograph without noise reduction:

P1040173a.jpg

I don't see a problem with using noise reduction software, we use software in every other aspect of digital photography, from composition, exposure, sharpness, colour etc. So there is no harm in using the all the tools to produce an image you are satisfied with. With the software I use I have no concerns at all about using high ISO settings because I know I can get the result I want; for example, this at 800 ISO:

P1020144-1.jpg

Lovely pics Glenn.

gingerweasel - I still use my MF lenses quite a bit, especially the Canon 50mm 1.4 and 3.5 Macro. Still like the Konica lenses too. Not easy to get anything wide though, which is my main issue with M4/3 generally.

Presumably that Voigtlander linked to is MF only?

Here's a couple of recent ones from work....

5041250757_7a24ef9a46_z.jpg

5041874686_f284c60187_o.jpg

Here's the photograph without noise reduction:

P1040173a.jpg

I don't see a problem with using noise reduction software, we use software in every other aspect of digital photography, from composition, exposure, sharpness, colour etc. So there is no harm in using the all the tools to produce an image you are satisfied with. With the software I use I have no concerns at all about using high ISO settings because I know I can get the result I want; for example, this at 800 ISO:

P1020144-1.jpg

Hi,

They are (y) images. What lens are you using to take these great images?

Thanks, 20mm f1.7 pancake

They are AMAZING. I am now kinda in 2 minded whether to sell my GF1 for a LX5 or not what you reckon? Do you like the 14 - 42 lens?

They are AMAZING. I am now kinda in 2 minded whether to sell my GF1 for a LX5 or not what you reckon? Do you like the 14 - 42 lens?

I really can't advise you if buying an LX5 is for you, I don't know what you like to photograph.

I don't have the 14-42 but I have the 14-45 and again, I don't know which is best. Here's a photo, to remind us of the summer we in Scotland never had, taken with the 14-45 at 45mm:

P1000882.jpg

gingerweasel - I still use my MF lenses quite a bit, especially the Canon 50mm 1.4 and 3.5 Macro. Still like the Konica lenses too. Not easy to get anything wide though, which is my main issue with M4/3 generally.

Presumably that Voigtlander linked to is MF only?

Yes it is MF only, but for many things MF isn't a problem and can even be an advantage. The zoom function helps a lot and makes it much easier than with many DSLRs. Voigtlander do some really nice lenses so I'd expect the 25/0.9 to be good.

Unless you go for a fisheye lens, the Voigtlander 12mm (24mm effective) is about as wide as you'll get with a lens designed for 35mm. You'd get a little wider with APS-C lenses (~20mm effective).

Last edited:
Back