"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

20mm pancake

P1040182.jpg

Your making me jealous how the hell you get these great images are they being edited at all... What setting was that take at?

Not trying to make you jealous dude, just showing what the GF1 can do. That was f1.7 ISO 800 and 1/13th second hand held, it probably helps to be slightly drunk and in Singapore (neither of which is the case today ;))

Not trying to make you jealous dude, just showing what the GF1 can do. That was f1.7 ISO 800 and 1/13th second hand held, it probably helps to be slightly drunk and in Singapore (neither of which is the case today ;))

Ha ha... do you live there or away on holiday as it look like a good place to take some nice night photos

Slightly drunk and hand held @1/13sec ....now that is clever :clap:

Great night pictures mate, and looks a better place than when I was there in 1959/60

More 20mm pics please(y)

Nice to see this thread is new and still going strong.

Some very nice images being posted and it just goes to show how much you can do with this fantastic camera..!

Thought i'd add to the thread but the image is not really one for photography view. It's my new toy for hitting the Mountains. Plus I thought Grum might like it.

5044826378_d011543fde_b.jpg

Santacruz Carbon Nomad with 2011 Fox 36, 160mm TALAS.

5045933040_ca2f35921e_b.jpg

Testing ISO 1600 this evening.

I be interested see the original image. Did u use flash or anything as I never get a image that clear at high iso

That image looks familiar ..?

@ bl0at3r

First things first I correct the white balance, then converted to B&W in Photoshop, applied a gradient fill (hence the darker area at the top of the image), and then moved back to Lightroom for some tweaking. At this stage I applied 35% noise reduction and finally some sharpening before exporting for web use.

@ rookies

Lightroom noise reduction seems to do the trick nicely. Although I have to say I don't feel the original was too bad.

@RSMacro

Not sure, I just snapped what I had available - this wasn't based on anything.

5047032162_8ee5672f50_b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
@ bl0at3r

First things first I correct the white balance, then converted to B&W in Photoshop, applied a gradient fill (hence the darker area at the top of the image), and then moved back to Lightroom for some tweaking. At this stage I applied 35% noise reduction and finally some sharpening before exporting for web use.

@ rookies

Lightroom noise reduction seems to do the trick nicely. Although I have to say I don't feel the original was too bad.

@RSMacro

5047032162_8ee5672f50_b.jpg

Hi May i ask what aperture and focal length it was if not been mention as am half sleep. Also was this with a GF1 as though you bough a EP 1?

Hi May i ask what aperture and focal length it was if not been mention as am half sleep. Also was this with a GF1 as though you bough a EP 1?

I'm currently waiting for my Panasonic lenses to arrive so this was with the 17mm Olympus pancake.

17mm, f2.8, 1/30sec, ISO1600

I know it's not a GF1 but I figured this was the only real m4/3rds thread so I'd join in here ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm currently waiting for my Panasonic lenses to arrive so this was with the 17mm Olympus pancake.

17mm, f2.8, 1/30sec, ISO1600

Oh i must be mistaken just though you went a bough a Olympus Camera yesterday?

Anyway it such a good image at that high ISO

looks a better place than when I was there in 1959/60

More 20mm pics please(y)

My husband was there in 59/60 Oldboy, in the army.. R.E.M.E. (national service)
Well he was in Malaya but was in Singapore often too.

Is that your camera of choice now John? You still have the Nikon right?

I was very tempted by a Pen, but decided on the LX5. For me I see people with both the Pen and GF1 with mountains of old MF lens and the like. For me, in that case you may as well get out the DSLR!!

Last edited:
My husband was there in 59/60 Oldboy, in the army.. R.E.M.E. (national service)
Well he was in Malaya but was in Singapore often too.

My visits were with the Merchant Navy, sure saw a lot of the world in that lot.

Shame the GF1 was not about in those days

Is that your camera of choice now John? You still have the Nikon right?

I was very tempted by a Pen, but decided on the LX5. For me I see people with both the Pen and GF1 with mountains of old MF lens and the like. For me, in that case you may as well get out the DSLR!!

i have my Nikon kit but the plan is to sell up once I've confirmed I'm happy with the PEN. I've settled on two lenses; the Panny 20mm and the Panny 45mm. However having used the Olympus 17mm I think I may also keep this for those times when I need the whole thing to fit in a pocket. This lens is so tiny and light.

I also plan on picking up some small extras and a decent printer to finally get some of my prints on the wall.

For me I went with the PEN because I wanted the in-body IS for shooting with the 20mm in the low light, even if I can eek out an extra stop on the shutter speed it will help get me more keepers.

I also love the retro styling and the feel on the body in hand. I tend not to use flash so that's not a concern for me and it is that little bit smaller for carrying around in your pocket.

A few more shots from me!

Autumn Weather is poor atm so had to convert to BW I'm afraid.

man-walking-dogs.jpg

tree-trunk.jpg

three-flower-pots.jpg

bistro-one-ninety.jpg

I seem to have this problem where I can't get the composition straight on for some reason :( I think its got worse with the GF1 tbh as the viewfinders are better for composition

sid

Really?

The problem I have with viewfinders, optical ones at least, is that these days you probably don't get a 100% view and therefore have to either guess what the final composition will look like or just compose as you see and crop a bit later. At least with things like the GF1 it should be pretty much WYSIWYG.

Last edited:
@gingerweasel

I was refering to an image I posted when I first got my GF1
;)

4869226560_c4e6eb12a4_z.jpg

;)

4869226560_c4e6eb12a4_z.jpg

RSMarco how you getting on with your GF1? which lens do you find you use mostly? I seem stuck on the 20mm as it such a cracker but then I am trying to sell to get a LX5 just hoping I am making the right choice.

What setting was that image at as that a good un

Is this a mac gang ha ha

20101003-cxwm6r7ehu3crku2x3rycftak.jpg

20101003-j1q6af7dipq32ucyui2rutbdup.jpg

Last edited:
Anyone help with external flash with the GF1 please?

I have a Metz 36.
Right.. when im using the canon 40d with the 580exII flash I mostly use it for fill in.
I have the camera on manual and the flash on ETTL and I get the shutter speed correct for exposure of the background and the 580ex does its own thing. great results.

now then.. the gf1!!

The flash is only ettl. My problem is, what flash settings on the camera do i use. there are no settings on the flashgun as it is auto ettll only, the gf1 has auto, slow sync red eye etc etc. im not sure what to put it on... sshould it be auto... but auto isnt available when using Manual mode on the camera.

So will i have to use aperture priority on the camera, with the camera flash settings on auto and expose for the background as before?

Hope this is understandable!! :)

Looks a shot of my desk!
Dont you have to show your Apple ID to buy a GF1 :LOL:

Allan

:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

What lens do you have with your GF1? do you still like it? Notice you got a nikon 7000 how you rate that?

Here is a shoot i did lastnight out of bedroom window all done in iA mode though it did a good job..

20101003-fyinpsh8mce2b7ix9sgc39phcs.jpg

;)

I see, lol

I assume that was with the Panny 20mm, having played with the 17mm for a while I can see it's not as sharp - thankfully I won't have to wait long before my 20mm gets here.

I see, lol

I assume that was with the Panny 20mm, having played with the 17mm for a while I can see it's not as sharp - thankfully I won't have to wait long before my 20mm gets here.

The images you took with your lens you have now are great not too sure if the Panny is any sharper or not. I guess you will find out soon

Nice to see this thread is new and still going strong.

Some very nice images being posted and it just goes to show how much you can do with this fantastic camera..!

Thought i'd add to the thread but the image is not really one for photography view. It's my new toy for hitting the Mountains. Plus I thought Grum might like it.

5044826378_d011543fde_b.jpg

Santacruz Carbon Nomad with 2011 Fox 36, 160mm TALAS.

Wow, awesome bike! You need a gravity dropper on a bike like that though ;)

Mathers are showing the 14mm as coming out mid October and costing £285 btw.

Last edited:
:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

What lens do you have with your GF1? do you still like it? Notice you got a nikon 7000 how you rate that?
I only have the 14-45. I keep looking at a 20mm pancake, but apparently I dont need one!:nono:
Nikon P7000 is very nice to use and pics are superb. One or two AF issues ( not as snappy as the GF1) but I love it. Hopefully a firmware upgrade will fix AF, but I wouldnt ever send it back.
Allan

Wow, awesome bike! You need a gravity dropper on a bike like that though ;)

Mathers are showing the 14mm as coming out mid October and costing £285 btw.

I am waiting for the Rockshox Reverb to come out mate. Thanks for the comment.

£285 doesn't sound bad does it..?

I thought I'd chip in and share something taken last week, with the pancake ;)

Wow was that cropped or edited in ant ways?

I went to Michelham Priory Yesterday (Sunday) with the GF1 and 20mm f1.7. Completely forgot to put the camera back to shooting RAW only so spent the day shooting JPG's but GF1 still produced a good set of images. A few here:

1: Michelham Priory East Sussex

2: Same again but with wife hanging on to her hood!

3: Old Pillar Drill

4: Large Chain

5: Lunch on the job

Found this old leaf stuck in the berries on a bush and noticed a ? on it....

GF1 14-45mm........33mm 1/50th sec 100iso

Back