"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

Great Stuff! :D

I have a Sony A7 which I use as my luxury kit :D and a G1 and GX7. I tend to use the GX7 with a 20mm f1.7 to keep it small and I use the G1 when the light is good with a 25 or 45mm f1.8 or an old manual 50mm f2.8 macro.

I also have a LX5 which I take when I want a compact camera with zoom. I tend to take it when I'm also taking one of my other cameras plus a prime and the LX5 gives me a wider or longer possibility. So, for me the LX100 could replace the LX5 and possibly a MFT body too when I want a small camera package.

I do like the look but if I get one I'll have to order on line as the shops here don't seem to sell them so I'd appreciate your thought on handling and specifically how you feel about the ring on the lens. I've downloaded the manual but it seems a bit sparse and I wonder...

... is it possible to use the lens ring for focus in aperture, shutter and manual exposure modes?

One thing which I don't like about the LX5 is that manual focus is so awkward and what I'd really like to have is the ability to jump in and focus manually at any time as I can with my G1 and GX7.

If you can't focus manually in the various exposure modes how do you find the handling? Is the ability to tweak focus manually something you miss?

I followed a link on another site to this guy...

http://pindelski.org/Photography/indexes/photography/micro-four-thirds/

The original point of the link was his rather unenthusiastic (to say the least) review of an Olympus but I spotted that he likes Panasonic cameras and I thought some here might be interested to read what he says. He seems to like the Panasonic G1 :D I have one and I think that handling wise it's very good and if it had a cutting edge chip and EVF it might be just about the only camera I'd pick up :D Even as it is it's very good for good light shooting.

Happy reading.

@antihero

How are you now getting on with the LX100? Any more shots to share? What off camera flash did you use for your daughter's shoot?

I am looking into the LX100 along with the RX100M3 or X30 or just upgrade my Lumix G3 lenses P20 and P14-42 with either the PL15, O25, PL25 along with the O45 to capture my toddler growing up (photo & video).

I am just unsure on the best setup to have to capture decent images as the G3/P20 and Fuji XF1 I currently use isn't always performing as I want it.

Other Lumix users have any advice also?

@antihero

How are you now getting on with the LX100? Any more shots to share? What off camera flash did you use for your daughter's shoot?

I am looking into the LX100 along with the RX100M3 or X30 or just upgrade my Lumix G3 lenses P20 and P14-42 with either the PL15, O25, PL25 along with the O45 to capture my toddler growing up (photo & video).

I am just unsure on the best setup to have to capture decent images as the G3/P20 and Fuji XF1 I currently use isn't always performing as I want it.

Other Lumix users have any advice also?

I still haven't explored it fully, but so far I think I made the right choice! The quality seems spot on, although having been a fuji shooter for so long, I constantly try and turn it on with the zoom switch! I also love my shallow DoF shots which unfortunately ruled out the X30 due to sensor size and relatively large DoF. Although not quite pocket-sized, the LX100 is nice and small. It's also more than capable as a portrait shooter. This selfie was taken using an old Nikon SB24 flash and Yongnuo triggers (same as my daughters shot) through a gridded beauty dish using the remote android app to focus and shoot;

IMG_20150315_160851.jpg

G1 + 45-200mm and a cloudy eclipse...

Last edited:
Well, I asked this in another thread, but this one makes much more sense.

I have the E-M1 which is a brilliant stills camera and as big as I ever plan to get now, but I'd heard it said that the Panys were great for video - now I'm thinking the G6 could be a good buy - what do you guys think?

@JohnN what sort of video are you looking to do?

The G6 here or here is at a good price for the body if you decide to go with it. The G6 has a microphone input and does 1080/50 and offers decent manual control.

Other budget options are the GX7 or the GH3 if you are really serious about the video side of things.

You seem to have a decent lens setup so can extract some decent video from whatever you decide.

Last edited:
Oh, nothing serious just shots of my kids doing stuff, I just want it to be good and track well and not require too much post processing.
Thanks for the links, I'll take a look.

@JohnN

From the lenses you have use the Olympus 12-40 2.8 Pro or the Olympus 14-42 giving you enough flexibility to get the footage you need. The 45/75 can be for more stylised and b-roll stuff you can then cut into.

The G6 can track well but you might be better to just pull focus manually as your kids are unlikely to always stay still. To not have too much post processing shoot in 15/20 second segments and piece together 3/5 minutes of activity your kids may be doing rather than a press record and just shoot for the sake of it.

Get yourself a monopod to help with stability.

Thats great and thanks again - I'm not a mono\tripod fan though but I doubt there will be any real issues there.

BTW I must get round to sorting out my lens listings, I've a fair few now I've not got round to listing, including the 45 & 75 :)

I've been having a poke about and can pick one up second hand pretty cheaply so I'll no doubt be trying one out soon.

I'm thinking of getting a Panasonic G6 to replace my 550D & so far all my research is telling me that I will be happy with the switch. However, I've read that some micro 4/3 cameras suffer from shutter shock, is this something common?

I've been reading about it on the DPReview forums, I think it's mainly Panasonic lenses that are prone to shutter shock at certain shutter speeds. I'm just wondering if people are making a mountain out of a molehill or if it is a legitimate problem.

Personally I've never noticed it, but then I need to find out how it looks on image, I guess not knowing I could suffer from it and put it down to something else. I'm guessing it might depend on shutter speed too (I almost never shoot at slow speeds)

I saw the issue on the 14-42mm PZ lens (not the kit lens - the 'pancake' power zoom one), but I've not seen it on any other lenses. There's always the option of using the electronic shutter, which would completely eliminate any such issues, although it has its limitations.

The rumour site is reporting that a new G7 is due mid May :D About time.

And for those not too bothered about a G7... this could mean that there'll some discounts on outgoing models.

Last edited:
As a happy G6 owner, the only thing that could tempt me would be DFD focusing, 4K and a better buffer. I'm surprised there is a G7 coming, I always felt that Panasonic was trying to move those people onto the GH series.

What I'd really like is full time depth of field preview like my A7 has. It really is a move forward and I miss it so much with my MFT kit I've toyed with the idea of selling up and buying an A6000.

What I'd really like is full time depth of field preview like my A7 has. It really is a move forward and I miss it so much with my MFT kit I've toyed with the idea of selling up and buying an A6000.

The newer Panasonics have it, but it's severely crippled. The two issues with it, you need to set aside a custom button for it and the worst part, it doesn't even work. The Panasonics lack the computing power to display the stopped down image onto the EVF/screen - which slows the camera down to the point of it looking like a bad acid trip through the EVF. As you say, even the first generation E-mount Sonys could do it with no problem at all.

My GX7 hasn't got it except in Manual exposure mode and I tend not to use that unless absolutely necessary as you lose auto ISO.

For a long time I used a G1 with manual lenses and of course what you get is an image in the EVF or rear screen which displays the DoF your aperture dictates and when switching to AF lenses I was initially baffled because the image I saw through the EVF was very different to the final recorded image. And then I twigged. Using manual lenses and the Sony A7 has brought home to me what a great feature constant preview is.

Actually another thing my A7 has which my Panasonic cameras lack is auto ISO in manual mode. It's wonderful.

Come on Panny, constant preview in all modes and auto ISO is manual mode please! :D

Increasing problems with arthritis means I need something smaller and lighter than my FF Canon gear.

I have a Sony RX10 for travel and it does a great job.

I'm looking for a lightweight interchangeable lensed body - M43 springs to mind as offering a mature lens and body selection.

I'm tempted by a Panasonic G6 or G5 which I'll use with a 7/14, 14/140 Mk ii and a 100/300mm set of lenses - easier on the back and wrists than a 5D, 17/40, 24/105, 70/200 and 100/400 set up I've recently lugged about.

Can users please comment on how well the G5 and G6 bodies do for AF accuracy in low light and with moving subjects.

Appreciate that no M43 body is in the 5D iii or even 7D class, but I'm not into sports, more grandkids and street dancers type of action. Will the G6 or 5 suffice?

Thanks
Henry

Appreciate that no M43 body is in the 5D iii or even 7D class, but I'm not into sports, more grandkids and street dancers type of action. Will the G6 or 5 suffice?

Thanks
Henry

Can't comment on your questions re the newer Gx bodies performance wise (someone who can will be along shortly) but as for the general question of competing with Canon DSLR image quality... I think that you might be pleasantly surprised with the image quality these cameras can give. After doing wallet frightening A3 print comparisons I gave up and accepted that even my elderly G1 is very capable at low to mid ISO settings and the newer bodies improve on this.

IMVHO the areas they lag are in DR and the very highest ISO's but I've found that even in high DR situations my elderly G1 with its in view histogram offers a good chance of getting a useable shot first time when I'd be guessing and chimping and reshooting with a Canon DSLR, plus the files can take a lot of abuse at low to mid ISO's.

Good luck choosing :D

Increasing problems with arthritis means I need something smaller and lighter than my FF Canon gear.

I'm looking for a lightweight interchangeable lensed body - M43 springs to mind as offering a mature lens and body selection.

I'm tempted by a Panasonic G6 or G5 which I'll use with a 7/14, 14/140 Mk ii and a 100/300mm set of lenses - easier on the back and wrists than a 5D, 17/40, 24/105, 70/200 and 100/400 set up I've recently lugged about.

Can users please comment on how well the G5 and G6 bodies do for AF accuracy in low light and with moving subjects.

Thanks
Henry

I like my Panasonic GX-7,the AF is very good,well build and an good all round camera :)

Thanks
Henry

Hi there, I've got a 5D and a G6 (and my friend has the G5 and Canon 7D with some of your lenses).

First of all, the main differences between the G6 and G5 are ; the G6 has a much better viewfinder, better autofocus, better video and better buffer. in terms of image quality, they're both exactly the same. The one place the G5 is better is build quality - it's less plasticaly and hollow feeling compared to the G6.

The 5D v the G6 is obviously a little more different ; The G6 has better high ISO, better autofocusing in most situations, better dynamic range, shoots faster, clears the buffer quicker. In the 5Ds favour - the files are easier to work with in Lightroom (that may just be a personal thing) , it does auto-focus in extremely low light slightly better and better ability to crop. The 5D really feels old compared to the G6. Part of me likes the 5D because it doesn't feel modern or digital. The G6 is a thoroughly modern and digital camera, with a great list of features - one of my favourites is completely silent shutter, as in you won't hear a sound as it's a digital shutter and other feature I use a lot is a built in timelapse, that even makes a video in camera afterwards.

The 14-140 lenses (both mk1 and 11) are great, you're getting a lot of zoom for a tiny size, they're strong lenses throughout the range but above 100mm there's slight softening, shooting them in the f5-f7 range is their peak, far better in the corners that the 24-105. I'd say there's not much difference in terms of sharpness between both lenses in the middle, both are decent and acceptable in their own way.

I've only got the 45-150 to compare against the 70-200. The 45-150 is a really cheap but good lens, far better than the 45-200 which goes for the same price. The 70-200 does autofocus slightly faster but the 45-150 isn't slow either. I'd say the 45-150 is slightly sharper wide open. The 45-150 has less pleasing bokeh than the 70-200, it's more swirly. As I say, i'm happy to use both but the size and weight difference is immense.

I think the G6 should be fine for those tasks, I rarely shoot anything that moves but any time I've given it a shot, the G6 has been fine. As you say, it's a world away from a 7D on a moving object but I think it should be fine. Make sure you purchase the newer lenses, as some of the older ones (especially the 20mm 1.7) are slow to focus, even on still objects.

I went to m43 when my arthritis got bad (at 24!), but I kept the 5D and a few primes just for those days I knew I only wanted to take pictures. The G6 is a world of difference in size, so much so that the G6 and two lenses sit in my bag full time and you'd hardly know they're in there. If I leave the 5D with even a 50mm prime, I know it's there - it's like a brick sitting in the bag.

Thanks for all the reassuring comments with regards to my giving up on FF and moving to M43.

I've decided to go for an Olympus EM5 + 12-50mm set up from Wilkinson cameras at £499 delivered.

Think that's a very good price even though I'm not thrilled by the Oly's ergonomics. Still wanting to use the new Oly with a Lumix 7-14 & 100-300mm, not sure how compatible Panny lenses are with it. Will ask on the EM5 forum.

Thanks again
Henry

I went to m43 when my arthritis got bad (at 24!), but I kept the 5D and a few primes just for those days I knew I only wanted to take pictures. The G6 is a world of difference in size, so much so that the G6 and two lenses sit in my bag full time and you'd hardly know they're in there. If I leave the 5D with even a 50mm prime, I know it's there - it's like a brick sitting in the bag.

Do feel for you, fortunately I'm nearing 70 and have only been afflicted for the last 10 years or so. Now moving to my wrists and thumbs - know exactly what you mean about a brick-like 5D, especially with a 100/400 attached to the business end!

Hi,

I don't have the 7-14, but the 100-300 works a treat on the E-M1, but I imagine the M5 would give similar results on static targets like the robin.

Here are a couple of recent(ish) examples.

The cormorant by the way was a massive crop too.

Cormorant in flight
by magsnorton, on Flickr

Hungry Robin
by magsnorton, on Flickr

Last edited:
Looks like the G7 with feature the same sensor as the GX7 which IMVHO makes it another behind the times damp squib from Panasonic. Shame... but I do predict heavy discounts as I can't see this camera flying off the shelves. Do Panny care about the Gx line? Doesn't look like it :(

Looks like the G7 with feature the same sensor as the GX7 which IMVHO makes it another behind the times damp squib from Panasonic.

I'm not aware of a better sensor for micro 4/3 at the moment. There are some rumoured new Sony sensors but no-one knows what they'll be like.

I'm not aware of a better sensor for micro 4/3 at the moment. There are some rumoured new Sony sensors but no-one knows what they'll be like.

At the time the GX7 came out it was reported to be bit behind the Olympus cameras but even if not and it's the same it still represents no move forward in how many years?

Personally I'm not interested in buying a new camera that's no better than cameras that have been available for three years or more. I suppose there may be other improvements and we'll have to wait and see to be sure but as a stills shooter any improvements in video don't interest me. One thing I suppose that could be improved upon is the GX7's EVF.

I'm just a bit disappointed and disillusioned with Panasonic as they don't seem to be bringing anything new for stills shooters. The camera may very well be a bargain buy a few months after it hits the shops but I don't think that even a dyed in the wool Panasonic fan could argue that this camera (if the spec is as rumoured) brings any improvement in image quality for stills shooters over what's been available for years and for me personally that's just not good enough to get my attention.

The Olympus cameras used (and mostly still use) the old Sony sensor, and the Panasonic one in the GH4/GX7/GM1/GM5 is newer and, in my opinion, just a little bit better than that. I think the problem is that we're entering the realm of diminishing returns, and it's getting harder to make steps forwards with these sensors.
The other problem is that, even if Panasonic or Sony do have something better, then Panasonic would never release it first on a G-series camera. I don't think they want it having a better sensor than the GH4!

The G7 would still interest me if it has that sensor (usefully better than the G6) and the focusing engine from the GH4, but retains the G5/G6 size and form factor.

Last edited:
I haven't read anyone else saying that the Panasonic sensor is better than Olympus or Sony sensors but even if it is I was hoping for a clear move forward but from the specs so far there doesn't seem to be one. As for diminishing returns, they're not even trying, as I said, no move forward in how many years? If the spec is right all we're getting is warmed over and repackaged GX7? Call me picky but that's just not good enough IMVHO.

I did buy a GX7 but with reservations as at the time it didn't seem that the sensor was cutting edge and there were grumblings about the EVF and I have to say that in the case of the latter I'd agree and in good light for me my old G1's EVF is better. Lens wise I think Panasonic do well but I just can't get excited about their cameras. The GH4 may be a good camera but I'm not interested in video and I don't want a MFT camera which is the size of a DSLR so it gets a no from me. So where do I go for an improvement over my GX7? Doesn't look like there'll be anything from Panasonic any time soon. As I keep saying, no progress in how many years?

In isolation and if coming from a compact camera I suppose that a fire sale priced G7 will be a good buy in a years time but I've been a bit spoilt since getting a Sony A7 and my GX7 is showing weaknesses that I'd hoped could be improved on with the upcoming G7 but that's probably not going to happen.

Oh well... Money saved... Nothing to see or buy here...

I've seen a few reports that the Panasonic sensor is slightly better than the Sony sensor in most of the Olympus cameras, and that has been my experience too. Most people say that it's about the same, which I'd find it hard to argue with :)

What I've wanted for a while is a GH4 in a G series body - maybe the G7 will be it? Yes, a better sensor would be nice but I don't think such a thing exists at present, and Panasonic would never launch it in a G series body. I would guess that this is more of a "fill a hole in the range" camera than a "new flagship".

Maybe the G8 will be the one for you :)

I wonder if the G7 will have In Body Image Stabilisation (IBIS). it's on the GX7, so if the G7 is going to use that sensor, then it might make sense for it to be fitted with IBIS as well. I own a G5, GH3 and E-PM1 and have shot with the E-M5 and E-M1 demonstrators. I much prefer the Panasonics for the ergonomics and menu structure but wish that they were fitted with IBIS, a key Olympus advantage in my view.

Back