"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

G7 review...

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/panasonic-lumix-g7-full-review-27515

My G1 is still my most used camera and on a day with good light I think it's capable of very good results. Flower shots are not everyones thing but I like them :D Whole image followed by 100% crop. As usual for me I haven't sharpened these for web use and they're mangled a bit by Photobucket but this looks lovely and sharp on my screen. It's handheld and it was a little breezy so I had to keep the shutter speed up and they're small flowers so even at f8 the depth of field is minimal but hopefully the sharpness will still come across :D

I still get a lot of pleasure out of a camera that cost £100 and a lens that cost about £60 but I suppose a G7 might be nice even if there's no improvement in IQ over the GX7, no constant preview except in manual exposure mode and no ability to shoot with mechanical shutter at 1/8000.

Last edited:
Talking of DFD/notDFD I have read reports from those using GH4 alongside other m4/3rds cameras that the GH4 has the fastest and best Continuous focus with or without DFD-compatible lenses.
I kindof put that down to the GH4 necessarily having more processing power than all other m4/3rds cameras, which the G7 probably doesn't have ... so I'm interested to see it's C-AF performance next to the GH4 and the E-M1

Me too - with the new v3 firmware the E-M1 was transformed, if the GH4 still outperforms it then it must be excellent.

Does anyone use the gx7 add on eye piece. If so does it make a huge difference?

Yes, and yes (for me at least). I think it's down to the way I brace the camera - without the extra rubber piece I could barely use the viewfinder at all.

I think I had to get mine via ebay (part number DMW-EC1) from Japan, although that was a while ago.
It looks like it's available from Amazon UK, but it's not cheap! I think mine was about £15 all in, although even that seemed a bit steep.

All I seem interested in at the mo is flowers.

Another G1 + old 50mm macro 100% crop. I'm still amazed at the results that are possible from this relatively old cheap kit :D

I loved my old g1. I upgraded it to the g2 but always thought the g1 had a nicer colour to it.

I saw a couple of the 100-300s on here recently and procrastinated until they were sold. I have the 45-200 and usually that is enough, but the 300 is (obviously) a big step up. Seeing your pictures is helping me to decide to go for the next.

All I seem interested in at the mo is flowers.

Another G1 + old 50mm macro 100% crop. I'm still amazed at the results that are possible from this relatively old cheap kit :D

I assume that you are using some sort of converter to connect the macro lens? This means that you only are able to manual focus - is that correct?

I did have one last time I had a micro 4/3 camera but hardly used it. This was my first outing with it and really pleased with the results. I've also just started to use back button focusing which nailed the focusing spot on.

I assume that you are using some sort of converter to connect the macro lens? This means that you only are able to manual focus - is that correct?

Yes. It's an old manual focus Sigma 50mm f2.8 macro from the SLR era in Minolta MD mount used via a cheap MD to MFT adapter from the auction site. The adapters are available from around £10 or so. I really like this set up and I must have taken thousands of pictures with it. I often take it when I'm going for a walk.

I have more expensive Novoflex adapters which I use on my Sony A7, Rokkor, Zuiko and Canon FD. They're £90-100.

I did have one last time I had a micro 4/3 camera but hardly used it. This was my first outing with it and really pleased with the results. I've also just started to use back button focusing which nailed the focusing spot on.

The back button certainly helps with a fixed focus and was worth learning about. Will keep an eye out for the 300.

Yes. It's an old manual focus Sigma 50mm f2.8 macro from the SLR era in Minolta MD mount used via a cheap MD to MFT adapter from the auction site. The adapters are available from around £10 or so. I really like this set up and I must have taken thousands of pictures with it. I often take it when I'm going for a walk.

I have more expensive Novoflex adapters which I use on my Sony A7, Rokkor, Zuiko and Canon FD. They're £90-100.

I was considering buying the new 30mm Panasonic macro but may well also keep an eye out for a longer (90mm or so) macro and adapter. I like to take photos of coins and suspect it is the light I'm not getting right rather than the lens but getting both better would help.

G7 review...

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/panasonic-lumix-g7-full-review-27515

My G1 is still my most used camera and on a day with good light I think it's capable of very good results. Flower shots are not everyones thing but I like them :D Whole image followed by 100% crop. As usual for me I haven't sharpened these for web use and they're mangled a bit by Photobucket but this looks lovely and sharp on my screen. It's handheld and it was a little breezy so I had to keep the shutter speed up and they're small flowers so even at f8 the depth of field is minimal but hopefully the sharpness will still come across :D

I still get a lot of pleasure out of a camera that cost £100 and a lens that cost about £60 but I suppose a G7 might be nice even if there's no improvement in IQ over the GX7, no constant preview except in manual exposure mode and no ability to shoot with mechanical shutter at 1/8000.

Does anyone here own the Sigma 19mm 2.8? I recently bought one to replace my old Panasonic 1.7, I wasn't bothered about the aperture difference but this Sigma just isn't sharp. I don't think it's 'shutter shock', as I've tried it on an Olympus body as well. It starts sharpening up at around f/5.6 but even then, the corners are still poor. What confuses me is every review mentions the sharpness of these Sigma lenses.

I stupidly deleted the images but Lightroom still shows something for the shots, so I screenshot that to give an example - the image is at 1/1 in the centre. This one was shot at f/5.6 @ 1000th of a second. It looks like motion blur, but I doubt it at those speeds and a lot of images are showing the same effect. The second shot is comparing it against the Canon 50mm on a 5D at 1/1. EDIT : I want to also mention that I wasn't using the E shutter on the Panasonic either.

I guess I'm trying to justify my reason for thinking about returning this or am I expecting too much from the Sigma?

.View attachment 39708 View attachment 39709

Last edited:
Does anyone here own the Sigma 19mm 2.8? I recently bought one to replace my old Panasonic 1.7, I wasn't bothered about the aperture difference but this Sigma just isn't sharp. I don't think it's 'shutter shock', as I've tried it on an Olympus body as well. It starts sharpening up at around f/5.6 but even then, the corners are still poor. What confuses me is every review mentions the sharpness of these Sigma lenses.
Load of folk have had those lenses and written about them over the years, but I get the impression they can be ranked in sharpness like so ;
Lumix 20mm
Sigma 30mm
Sigma 19mm
Everyone says the Sigma 30mm is sharper than the 19mm and my 20mm is even sharper than my 30mm,
but I've never had the Sigma 19mm myself.
Maybe you have a soft example of maybe that's the norm.

I'd never returned a lens until yesterday, but it was very easy with Amazon. I think I'll be picking up another 20mm f/1.7 with that in mind.

The Camera Store have done a little G7 test...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJKRgMPk1BU

I'm tempted...

Better EVF than the GX7? I hope so...
Auto ISO in manual mode? I think so...

So it looks good but...

Max mechanical shutter speed of 1/4000? Urgh!
Constant preview in manual mode only? Damn!

If this camera had a really good EVF, silent mode, the ability to shoot to 1/8000 sec with a mechanical shutter (it does have the ability to shoot faster with electronic shutter which is better than nothing but comes with costs) and a well executed constant preview in all modes I'd buy it but sadly it looks to be lacking the latter two :(

The Camera Store have done a little G7 test...

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJKRgMPk1BU

I'm tempted...

Better EVF than the GX7? I hope so...
Auto ISO in manual mode? I think so...

So it looks good but...

Max mechanical shutter speed of 1/4000? Urgh!
Constant preview in manual mode only? Damn!

If this camera had a really good EVF, silent mode, the ability to shoot to 1/8000 sec with a mechanical shutter (it does have the ability to shoot faster with electronic shutter which is better than nothing but comes with costs) and a well executed constant preview in all modes I'd buy it but sadly it looks to be lacking the latter two :(

Seem to get a good review,i think it might sell well for the 4K video mode for those who cant go to the GH-4 :)

Seem to get a good review,i think it might sell well for the 4K video mode for those who cant go to the GH-4 :)

With just a couple of additional things... 1/8000 mechanical shutter speed and good constant preview in all modes I think that this camera could answer just about every criticism I've had about MFT. Except FBW lenses :(

I might get one as the vast majority of my pictures would probably never show any electronic shutter related nasties and that would just leave one want on my list, good constant preview in all modes. Wish they'd do a Fuji and bring out a firmware update to include it.

I can't believe they've left 1/8000 out when the GX7 has it :(

Last edited:
I am trying to customise the quick menu on a G6. When I remove an item from the quick menu, a blank space is left behind. Is it possible to shift the existing items along to fill in this space? So far I have had to remove all of the items and then replace them one-by-one in order to avoid having blank spaces.

Yup.

A few things I'd change...

I'd ditch the dial (on the left as you look at it from the back) and use the same arrangement as on the G1 (a switch under the other dial.)
Give it a max mechanical shutter speed of 1/8000.
Give it IBIS.

A couple of recent G1 pictures.

I can't pass a flower without taking a picture :D I just love the colours and shapes and I think that the ancient G1 records very nice and accurate colours and gives good results if you can keep the ISO down and refrain from going mad with the sliders in PP. I also love the fact that the camera is worth about 2p and the lens is a cheap old manual focus lens from the film era :D

Silver surfer...

This was taken an AF Oly 25mm f1.8 @f4 and I wonder how many pictures I'd have needed to take to get this shot with a DSLR, I almost certainly wouldn't have got it first time. It wouldn't have been easy with a DSLR but with a CSC and what you see in the VF it was. There was so much light coming through the blinds and large parts of the image are blown and there's a lot technically wrong but it doesn't matter and much would have been wrong no matter what camera I'd used. I like this shot of my mam using the computer :D and it's gone all round the family :D

I tried the G7 at the shop in Carlisle : nice camera, like the controls very much.
I need to do some more testing ...

Back