"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

I wonder if the G7 will have In Body Image Stabilisation (IBIS). it's on the GX7, so if the G7 is going to use that sensor, then it might make sense for it to be fitted with IBIS as well. I own a G5, GH3 and E-PM1 and have shot with the E-M5 and E-M1 demonstrators. I much prefer the Panasonics for the ergonomics and menu structure but wish that they were fitted with IBIS, a key Olympus advantage in my view.

Specs & How It Will Look

Try as I might I just can't get excited about this. If I didn't have the GX7 then maybe, actually I suppose what I'd really like is better than GX7 image quality in a compact body with a fully articulated screen and although the G7 will possibly offer the latter (don't know how big it is yet) I'm a long way from being shown that they've moved the image quality forward. Time will tell and I hope I'll be pleasantly surprised so far my money is on my love / hate and disappointment relationship with Panasonic continuing.

What I've wanted for a while is a GH4 in a G series body - maybe the G7 will be it?
Agree. The current Panasonic sensor is more than good enough but the GH bodies grew in a way I'm not a fan of,
for me I hope the colours are good and the EVF is good enough.
Quite exciting really.

Oh and I want it in a nice bronzy colour ... fat chance.

...y I suppose what I'd really like is better than GX7 image quality ... I'm a long way from being shown that they've moved the image quality forward..
Blimey Alan, I didn't know you had any misgivings about the GX7's image quality.
What aspects would you like improved/changed?
I'm genuinely interested.

Blimey Alan, I didn't know you had any misgivings about the GX7's image quality.
What aspects would you like improved/changed?
I'm genuinely interested.

Generally on complaining about stuff... I suppose it's just my outlook and mentality. I used to work hard and I was very good at what I did and a part of that was always pushing to be better, faster, whatever... and I still expect that and I do tend to be very critical and more so when there doesn't seem to be any appreciable effort to move forward. To me Panny just don't seem to be trying very hard and they seem to be the Canon of the MFT world, staid, conservative and dull.

At the time the GX7 came out I was disappointed that the sensor didn't seem to be an improvement on what Olympus had been offering for some time and here we are how many years later with seemingly another new camera offering what appears to be the same years old tech. They've doubtless added bells and whistles and I hope they've fitted a new EVF as I've never liked the one fitted to the GX7 but from what I've read so far the rumor sites seem to be saying that it's the same sensor and I do hope that's wrong.

GX7 specifically... The EVF is IMVHO poor. I don't see the rainbow effect that some do but it just never looks sharp to me and the colours are off. In good light I actually prefer the EVF in my G1 although the GX7 is better in low light as you can still see when the G1 has just gone black. A better EVF should be essential. Image quality wise I'd like to see an improvement in DR and I don't care what the bench measurements say as in the real world I find that it's lacking and on occasions it just isn't possible to ETTR and indeed sometimes I find I'm being pushed to ETTL. Noise performance could be better too. All in all I actually don't like using the GX7 and in fact I only use it when I want the most compact camera and lens package and other than that I much prefer my A7 or G1.

If I could be bothered with the hassle I think I'd give up on MFT as the A7 has really showed the limitations and compromises. A cutting edge sensor and EVF, good constant preview in all modes like my A7 has instead of the clunky manual mode only Panasonic system and auto ISO in manual exposure mode could tempt me to stay and could even sway me away from the A7 but at the moment I see the chances of Panasonic offering these things as nil. I hope they prove me wrong though :D

So ... dynamic range, really. Most of your gripes are with the operation, which I agree with. Personally I don't like the way most Panasonics deal with skies compared to most Olympuses but it's hard to explain.
I'm quite keen on getting my hands on a second-hand A7S sometime but I have to wait until Bloater buys one then puts it on the forum ...

Well I couldn't hold out any longer and bought myself a G6 with kit lens today. Any hints or tips on the best way to set it up?

Well I couldn't hold out any longer and bought myself a G6 with kit lens today. Any hints or tips on the best way to set it up?

I just turn most things off and shoot raw in Aperture or Manual :D

Reactions: CSB
Looks like it will have a better EVF than the GX7 which is good but no in body IS and no mention of constant preview or auto ISO in manual mode which are all big downers :(

I read somewhere on the net that because the sensor used to enable 4K video produces a lot of heat, this interferes with IBIS and therefore is the reason the G7 does not have it. What a shame that they prioritize 4K over IBIS as a sell point. I suppose they must see 4K as a feature that would enable more sales, be it right or wrong. This also fits with the fact the GX7 has IBIS. I do find it surprising that Panasonic put it in any camera though. It seems if they did, then it would only damage them as it would write off a lot of there lenses with in lens stabilization and Olympus primes may be used more. I don't know... it would be nice if they just made the best camera possible for a change rather than drip feeding us features to maximize profit and protect sales of the GH range. Moon on a stick anyone? :)

I love my Pany G2 by the way!

I still use my G1 and in fact I took about 30 pictures with it today.

I can live without IBIS but I would like to see constant preview in all modes and auto ISO in manual mode. I have these on my Sony A7 and they are simply wonderful.

Auto ISO in munual is very important with these great-high-ISO modern sensors, I wish Panasonic would wake up and change it. The way their EVF and histograms work makes them the ideal bodies for Manual mode but ... no auto ISO which shoots them in the foot.
Still, the G7 is the nicest thing they've made for my sensibilities since ... the G1/2.
I hope they keep up the quality control on the 14-42MkII kit lens.

I managed without auto ISO with my Canon DSLR's and when I first got it on my G1 I was very impressed.

I mostly use Aperture priority but my Panasonic cameras tend to select a low shutter speed so in low light I'd switch to Manual exposure mode and of course once you do that you have to potentially change the ISO from shot to shot. Shutter priority is an option but of course it isn't when you use manual lenses or when you don't want to shoot wide open.

So, I'm sold... auto ISO is wonderful and needs to be available in all modes.

Ditto constant preview. Going from manual lenses to AF lenses was a shock to me as suddenly the images I saw in my VF were different the ones I saw on review or on my pc so that's another thing I'm sold on.

I'm actually looking at other systems now, Fuji and Sony Axxx but really I'd prefer to stay with Panny. Surely all that's needed is a firmware update???? :D

For those of us using an ancient G model and wondering how big : I made a quick size comparison, courtesy of CameraSize dot com.

full

Just read the G7 spec on Panasonic's website and they're stating that the G7 has auto ISO in manual exposure mode. That's excellent news. I can't see any mention of constant preview though.

I was just starting to warm to the G7 and its auto ISO in manual mode and then I read that the max shutter speed is 1/4000 so that means switching to electronic shutter or ND's if I want to shoot with wide apertures in daylight. Why they've done this when my GX7 goes to 1/8000 with mechanical shutter I just can't understand. Oh hang on though, this is Panasonic...

Ho Hum. Just when I was starting to warm to it :( As I read on a well known bloggers site... Does anyone at Panasonic use these cameras?

Last edited:
I don't know the difference, what's so bad about electronic shutters?

I don't know the difference, what's so bad about electronic shutters?

They can be a very good thing as they're silent and so perfect for not annoying other people or attracting attention. The only bad things that I can think of are that sometimes... you get distorted images and you can't use flash and the upper ISO is limited. These may or may not be big issues for other people but for me it's just another faff on and something else that has to be selected and deselected potentially from shot to shot.

The shutter speed is an issue for me as I occasionally like to shoot with wide apertures in good light and if limited to a max shutter speed of 1/4000 this can depending upon the lighting mean that ND's are needed to get the shutter speed below 1/4000 and of course fitting an ND means juggling lens hoods, ND cases ad ND's and then doing it all in reverse when you find that the shutter speed is too low or the ISO too high for the next shot. This used to drive me batty with my G1 when I found that I was spending far too much time fitting and removing ND's. So, I'd much rather have a mechanical shutter with a max of 1/8000.

I do use the electronic shutter with my GX7 and the potential for distortion and lack of flash doesn't worry me too much but the limit in ISO does and constantly catches me by surprise when I realise that my shutter speed is too low because I'm limited to ISO 3200 and need to switch from electronic to mechanical shutter.

Maybe I'm just hyper critical and suffering mild OCD :D but I just wish that I could have a mechanical shutter with a speed of 1/8000 so I could have the option of shooting at wider than f2.8 in good light without ND's together with the option of selecting electronic shutter for quiet shooting when appropriate.

I know it's me :D

I've decided not to buy anything new and instead I'll just stick with what I have.

Last edited:
Thats very interesting, thank you.

I've not really played with my GX7 much but had noted it was silent - presumably it was set to electronic shutter by the last owner. I'll investigate the distortion but having often relied on auto ISO having it limited would drive me mad too.

I think you'll only see distortion with fast moving things if the readout from the sensor can't keep up, whatever the cause it's never been an issue for me but not being able to use the flash could be and being limited to ISO 3200 is as I'd be happy if the camera selected 25,600 if it meant that I could have the aperture and shutter settings I'd selected. Actually the biggest issue is remembering to select and deselect and the faff on factor but I do realise that not everyone is as irritable as me :D

So ... dynamic range, really. Most of your gripes are with the operation, which I agree with. Personally I don't like the way most Panasonics deal with skies compared to most Olympuses but it's hard to explain.
I'm quite keen on getting my hands on a second-hand A7S sometime but I have to wait until Bloater buys one then puts it on the forum ...

Agreed the Olympus does produce some really nice skies, and the clouds tend to appear almost 3D.

Oh and sorry to disappoint - I've no inclination to buy an A7 anytime soon :) although, based on track record, there could be a nice E-M5 Mk2 available soon (y)

I considered the A7 briefly until I looked at teh lens line up - there doesn't seem to be much fast glass at all - whats the point in full frame if the bump of your lenses only go to f4?

I considered the A7 briefly until I looked at teh lens line up - there doesn't seem to be much fast glass at all - whats the point in full frame if the bump of your lenses only go to f4?

AFAIK there's the 25mm f2, 28mm f2, 35mm f1.4, 55mm f1.8 and 85mm f1.8. That's not a bad start is it? And then there's all the stuff you can use via adapters, for example the widest aperture lens I have at the moment is f1.2. There's a lot more to a camera system than f0.95 lenses and zero depth of field.

I don't really count adapted lenses, unless they're specifically made for the system they won't be supported and even if they are Sony may well change something in the firmware that causes problems later.
Still, decent close up range, but what of longer range, the lenses I would use, the 200mm plus?
Sadly it can be the undisputed best camera in the world taking perfect pictures every time at 800fps at medium format quality but if the glass isn't there...

Last edited:
I don't really count adapted lenses, unless they're specifically made for the system they won't be supported and even if they are Sony may well change something in the firmware that causes problems later.
Still, decent close up range, but what of longer range, the lenses I would use, the 200mm plus?
Sadly it can be the undisputed best camera in the world taking perfect pictures every time at 800fps at medium format quality but if the glass isn't there...

It's a young system. What do you expect? A full Canon rivalling lens line up in two years?

As for problems later, that's not a just a potential Sony issue, you may be aware of a little change in Canon land when they went from FD to eos and made years of lenses useless? It can happen but with adapted lenses the chances are a bit reduced as any changes may possibly be coped with by changes to the adapters.

Sorry if I took your comment about the lenses not being there a little too seriously and maybe you didn't realise what is already available but really... they're bringing out some nice fast lenses that are in some cases world class state of the art. Bottom line is that it's a new system so if you are seriously interested in it my advice is to be patient or if you have a specific need today look elsewhere.

It's okay, I forget how new it is. Yes I recall canon changing, but it's not what I meant, I was referring to third party lenses not working on newer bodies, no idea if Sony would do that but Canon have and that's my background, still never stopped me buying third party :)

Yep, I'll keep an eye on it, I do like the idea but it's not ready for my needs yep... Unless I ran two systems (popential gas attack)

The G7 looks like an interesting camera, might get tempted back to Panasonic...

I want to love this camera as I do seem to prefer using my G1 to my GX7. Pros and cons of the G7 as I see them...

Pros.
4k... But I couldn't give a flying.
Better EVF? I hope so as I just don't like the one in my GX7 and actually prefer the G1's.
Auto ISO in manual exposure mode? I think I read that it has it.

Cons.
Probably no improvement in image quality over the GX7.
Max mechanical shutter speed 1/4000 so ND's will be needed to shoot with wide apertures in good light.
Still no constant preview in all modes? I love Sony's constant preview in all modes.
I don't like the two dials on the top and I'd prefer the arrangement of the GF1 and G1 with shooting modes selectable with a switch under the mode dial.
£100 more expensive than a Fuji X-T10.

I might be tempted to buy an G7 for the DSLR form, GX7 IQ and auto ISO in all modes (if it has it) but overall I'm underwhelmed and more than vaguely disappointed with what I see as Panasonics snails pace improvements, unless 4k is your thing.

Last edited:
I too am looking at the G7 as a possible successor to my G1 where everything inbetween has had certain poorer features or things missing.
I use combination of Jpegs and RAW so for me Jpeg colour is very important : I've promised myself to not buy it if it won't do nice skies in side-by-side tests with my e-P2.
I mean, I already have the modern sensor in another body so that's no draw.

It's a really good feature : I have an old Konica with similar stuff, just far less megapizzles and less power. Works well for specific uses like spears in flight.

The G7 is really tempting to move back to m4/3. I await detailed reviews with a lot of interest.

Simon.

I too am looking at the G7 as a possible successor to my G1 where everything inbetween has had certain poorer features or things missing.

I have a love hate thing with MFT and the G1. I find the size and weight and handling to be mostly great and I'd love the same camera with a cutting edge sensor and EVF and maybe the G7 is that... but I'd also like 1/8000 mechanical shutter speed, electronic shutter, auto ISO in all modes, constant preview and ideally (and I know it's too late...) I'd like an aperture ring, end stops, lens markings and a shutter and ISO dial just like the Fuji's :D The G7 will deliver some but not all of these and I do wish that Panasonic would just throw everything at a compact Gx body.

I take some pictures most days (only two today) and if Panasonic would really load a Gx up with what I want it could just be the only camera I'd want. So near and yet not quite there.

Back