"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

Just watched this little video on "post focus" which is apparently now available for the G7 and GX8...

http://www.43rumors.com/panasonic-posts-video-explaining-how-post-focus-works/#disqus_thread

I don't know if I'd use this feature but then again it could be addictive :D I wonder what the implications are for memory card capacity? I suppose it wont be an issue as you can get thousands of shots on a card and even if this is cut to hundreds it might not matter, I just wondered if it'll fill the card up a bit.

Anyone used it yet?

Lens progress. Sold my 20mm (not happy with af speed) and picked up a mint 12-35 IS for £350 and a 35-100 IS for £450. Performance is stunning and can handhold at 1/20 which is great. This combined with DXO is a great match. Shot yesterday in Cambridge after a bit of rain

. ImageUploadedByTalk Photography Forums1448099040.248901.jpg

eBay I was very lucky with one seller who I had a good chat with on the phone before buying. I must admit very pleased with massive saving on new.

That is a brilliant saving and great kit setup. What camera are you using? I am ordering the G7 today with the kit lens and looking to add a couple of primes but long term would love the 12-35 & 35-100.

That is a brilliant saving and great kit setup. What camera are you using? I am ordering the G7 today with the kit lens and looking to add a couple of primes but long term would love the 12-35 & 35-100.

I got a GX7 which after sale of 20mm cost me £300 and has the IS built in. I love the look of the GX8 but not sure about the size. Having owned a GF1, G1, GH1 and GH2 also a Oly OMD I think this is the best body I have owned on MFT platform. The Oly has great colours but I found the af iffy. I also think the Panasonic lenses are best with Panasonic body and vice versa with Olympus.

Just bought myself the G7 with the £200 cashback. Should be delivered this week. thi si my first proper camera for 4 years after myy trust 450D was sold back in the day. looking forward to getting back into photography

The price of the g7 with double cashback is incredible for what you are getting. With the 4k photo and new firmware update looks like Panasonic are moving in the right direction.

Another G7 convert here. Doesn't feel as 'special' as the GX7 but internally it seems quite a bit better, the AF improvement alone is worth it for me.

Down to £329 with cashback for the 14-42 kit now at Cameraworld, insane really.

I was seriously looking to get one of these to capture family time but the auto focus just seems slower than me manually focusing my D750. I was looking for something smaller and hit record and shoot. Not sure if dud until or this the case for everyone.

Slow focus? What body and lens were you using? The later MFT cameras focus very quickly indeed when fitted with a fast focusing lens and I simple can't believe manual focus with a DSLR is quicker than even MFT with one of the slower focusing lenses like the 20mm f1.7... manual focus with an unaided OVF equipped DSLR is a pretty thankless unless you're shooting macro/pseudo macro or zone focusing.

My GX7 focuses almost instantaneously with my faster lenses.

I was referring to the video @woof woof that I embedded and was posted above. In the video all the lenses even the newer ones seemed to not auto focus quickly in video mode.

Thanks for going into a bit more detail about the focussing. I was looking to capture my little one over X-mas with the family and thinking the G7 at the current price is my best option. I wanted the RX100 IV as it was smaller but the G7 offers a lot for it's size also. Any recommendations on lenses to keep the setup uber small?

I previously had the G3 and 20mm and found the G3 had very low ISO and the 20mm was slow to focus and jarred in video mode.

I was going to get the kit lens, 15 Leica and 45 Olympus. Good mix?

I was referring to the video @woof woof that I embedded and was posted above. In the video all the lenses even the newer ones seemed to not auto focus quickly in video mode.

ah, I can't see any video in posts on this page at least but if you want to shoot vids you'll need a suitable lens, AFAIK the 20mm f1.7 isn't.

No worries. I was referring to this video View: https://youtu.be/v1ASLw8gPsE that @twist had posted.

Anyone else shoot video with the G7? Any lens recommendations? It will be primarily for photos but looking to capture more video as the toddler grows up.

Alans ignored me so wont see my posts :ROFLMAO: :rolleyes:

I think the video shows the video performance very well, imo the A6k is better, Ive had one and it worked way better in terms of continuous AF, the Panasonic seems to only work well with the newer DFD zooms which I'm not interested in.

Last edited:
@twist I was shocked to see the performance on that video. It seems you can just pick up and hit record. The A6000 keeps falling off my radar because the lens just get bigger and aren't as diverse as the micro thirds range.

Got the G7 Mad Friday sale took till Tuesday lol
Updated the firmware, Post focus looking good.
So many functions to play with gonna be entertaining before I get it to my liking.
Anyone got a recommend for batteries and lens adapter to use my canon ef/s lenses?

Got the G7 Mad Friday sale took till Tuesday lol
Updated the firmware, Post focus looking good.
So many functions to play with gonna be entertaining before I get it to my liking.
Anyone got a recommend for batteries and lens adapter to use my canon ef/s lenses?

I have just ordered two DSTE branded batteries + travel charger for my GX8 - which I believe uses the same batteries as the G7. This was after reading mostly positive comments about DSTE on this and another camera forum.
I would have preferred Wasabi - but seems I can't source them from the UK....

I would be keen to know how others are PP their images. I am torn between DXO and Capture One at the minute. DXO gives cleaner sharper images and C1 is more accurate vibrant colour

I use CS5. Most shots just seem to need my presets applying and maybe adjustments to exposure, contrast and/or vibrance / saturation.

I don't know if there's any significant software package difference for MFT like there are with the Fuji's.

Lightroom CC and (very occasionally) PS CC for me. I remember from my Canon days that C1 handled reds better than adobe products, but I couldn't say whether that is the case now. In any event, I'm really pleased with the output that Lightroom gives with Panasonic's .RW2 files :).

Cheers,

Simon.

Thought I'd shoot the sunrise but as I was shooting through double glazing I got a double image and had to crush the blacks to hide it, but I sort of like it. Two pictures stitched.

Looking at the picture here sadly there's a line visible down the join :( but on my screen it isn't visible in the original :D

Last edited:
Thought I'd shoot the sunrise but as I was shooting through double glazing I got a double image and had to crush the blacks to hide it, but I sort of like it. Two pictures stitched.

Looking at the picture here sadly there's a line visible down the join :( but on my screen it isn't visible in the original :D

I like that Alan :)

Simon.

Back