"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

I am just about to join the club. Bought a used gm1 with 12-32 to complement my em1. Just waiting for it to arrive. Its going to be the camera I carry everywhere with me.

Thought I'd shoot the sunrise but as I was shooting through double glazing I got a double image and had to crush the blacks to hide it, but I sort of like it. Two pictures stitched.

Looking at the picture here sadly there's a line visible down the join :( but on my screen it isn't visible in the original :D

Still a nice shot

I am just about to join the club. Bought a used gm1 with 12-32 to complement my em1. Just waiting for it to arrive. Its going to be the camera I carry everywhere with me.
I would be interested to see how you find the 12-32 on the EM1 its on my list.

I've just upgraded from the G6 to G7. Given the current deal from Amazon it seemed like an absolute no brainer to get the 4k video. I'm actually really surprised how much better it is than the G6. I'm actually seriously considering shooting some parts of weddings with it.

Which kinda leads me to this question. What options have I got for speedlights? I need one with TTL. I've got Yongnuo 560's so I can use it off camera just fine. But for speed I'd like a TTL speedlight that can swivel and stuff.

Thanks

I've just upgraded from the G6 to G7. Given the current deal from Amazon it seemed like an absolute no brainer to get the 4k video. I'm actually really surprised how much better it is than the G6. I'm actually seriously considering shooting some parts of weddings with it.

Which kinda leads me to this question. What options have I got for speedlights? I need one with TTL. I've got Yongnuo 560's so I can use it off camera just fine. But for speed I'd like a TTL speedlight that can swivel and stuff.

Thanks

What deal is that? I keep considering the G7 and probably should have bought one when the cash back was on...

I hadn't seen the additional discount, I see that WEX have it at £539 with £100 cash back and £100 instant discount code so £339. just a shame that the double discount doesn't apply to the body only. Regretting not buying it when Currys had it body only for £449 with £200 cash back. Might wait for the next round of cashback...

I hadn't seen the additional discount, I see that WEX have it at £539 with £100 cash back and £100 instant discount code so £339. just a shame that the double discount doesn't apply to the body only. Regretting not buying it when Currys had it body only for £449 with £200 cash back. Might wait for the next round of cashback...

See post 8255, 3290 with kit lens, the lens is worth £70 used, making body £250.

Thanks
On the flashguns, a popular choice is the Nissin i40. It's probably the only flash of that power that's sized appropriately for micro 4/3!

FYI - as this is a common lens combo for Lumix G owners...

I recently purchased a GX8 and once again faced my usual problem of getting a bag which was just right sized for carrying the camera + 35-100m and 12-35mm lens. My previous Kata 437-dl which I used with my GX7 suddenly felt too tight with the GX8.
After much searching I ordered a ThinkTank Turnstyle 5. I am happy to say it holds the above lens combo plus a few batteries, filters (without cases), sd cards and a LensPen well.
With the 12-35mm and a smaller lens I was even able to squeeze in my small Olympus flash into the bag - but it was a very tight fit.

I also remembered how useful the sling style is - having not used a sling since I sold my Nikon kit years ago - along with the LowePro Slingshot which was way too big for my first G camera.

Hope this helps anyone new GX8 owners on the lookout for a bag - any questions please ask,

Last edited:
What software do you use to view the RAW files? I download Adobe DNG converter so I could import the images to LR and process them but I would like to view the photo first, like the Nikon one. Was using the Silkpix developer one but it is a bit slow to use. Any recommendation? thanks in advance.

I'm seriously considering a GM1/GM5 camera (have an E-pl5 at the moment but find it a touch too big, lacking in timelaplse features, plus having poorish video, and also lacking anti shutter shock functions of later PENs/EMs/GMs/Gs/GXs). One thing that is stopping me from pulling the trigger is the electronic shutter. I understand that mechanical shutter is there until 1/500sec, but electronic shutter takes over for everything faster than that. Would such shots (taken on my previous GF5 at 1/2500s) be heavily distorted on GM1/GM5? Does anybody with a GM have any action shots to share?

P1000770
P1000772

[URL='https://flic.kr/p/C2eZ1M']P1000773

Cheers :)[/URL]

Last edited:
What software do you use to view the RAW files? I download Adobe DNG converter so I could import the images to LR and process them but I would like to view the photo first, like the Nikon one. Was using the Silkpix developer one but it is a bit slow to use. Any recommendation? thanks in advance.

I have used the Pro version of FastPictureViewer - it worked fine with my GX7 RW2 files - have not tried GX8 files yet as I had to re-install Windows 10 and not yet installed FPV. I quite like the flexibility and speed of FPV - a bit of a quirky interface to get used to...but worth the effort IMHO.

Note that if you google you may able to find a few discount codes lurking around...

Last edited:
Beautiful pic!

This goes in line with my research on cameras. Thinking about tracking AF, got me into reading reviews of Sony a6000, but I just dont like the APSC sensor system. Lenses are expensive, bulky and heavy when compared to m43 like-for-like. And I always thought that APSC had *significantly* better noise and IQ, but not really it now appears:

So yeah, m43 is here to stay it looks like, they just need phase detection AF sensors like the new Sony's a6000. But with Sony themselves making sensors for m43, will this be delayed I wonder - why help your direct competitor?

Last edited:
I'm seriously considering a GM1/GM5 camera (have an E-pl5 at the moment but find it a touch too big, lacking in timelaplse features, plus having poorish video, and also lacking anti shutter shock functions of later PENs/EMs/GMs/Gs/GXs). One thing that is stopping me from pulling the trigger is the electronic shutter. I understand that mechanical shutter is there until 1/500sec, but electronic shutter takes over for everything faster than that. Would such shots (taken on my previous GF5 at 1/2500s) be heavily distorted on GM1/GM5? Does anybody with a GM have any action shots to share?

To answer my own question, it seems electronic shutter of GM1/GM5 is not that bad. As far as scenes with running people go anyway, not sure about motorsports.
1/1250
https://flic.kr/p/qo76TR

1/2500
https://flic.kr/p/qWDBb1

Not the greatest photos, but that was down to lens/photographer etc, rolling shutter effect is not really evident here I think, which is what I was interested in. Although I'd like a few more examples before pulling the trigger on gm5...

How do people find the GX7 and G7 compare with the older Olympus E-M5 mk1?
I love my e-m5, but after collecting lenses like pokemon to find the ones I want...all the lenses I prefer are Panasonic ones (35-100/2.8, 25/1.4, 7-14, 12-35), the size is just right for the system.

This leaves me with more purple/green/yellow blobs than I'd like - my favourite shots are often taken at dusk/night, usually cities and lights in-frame bounce around badly on the Oly bodies.
I definitely wouldn't want it to get any worse with *low* ISO performance...dark skies and iso200 still ain't as clean as I'd like if I have to push shadows at all.
Apologies if this gets asked a lot!

Not sure what your asking here but I have owned a number of Panasonic bodies and e-m5 and also canon FF. My view (and others may disagree) is that oly bodies should be paired with oly lenses and Panasonic bodies should be paired with Panasonic lenses. With regard to long exposure with the exception of some GX8 images (see Simon above) in this thread I think you would be better off with a FF body as it will handle noise much better. Sorry if this sticks a spanner in the works [emoji3]

How do people find the GX7 and G7 compare with the older Olympus E-M5 mk1?
I love my e-m5, but after collecting lenses like pokemon to find the ones I want...all the lenses I prefer are Panasonic ones (35-100/2.8, 25/1.4, 7-14, 12-35), the size is just right for the system.

This leaves me with more purple/green/yellow blobs than I'd like - my favourite shots are often taken at dusk/night, usually cities and lights in-frame bounce around badly on the Oly bodies.
I definitely wouldn't want it to get any worse with *low* ISO performance...dark skies and iso200 still ain't as clean as I'd like if I have to push shadows at all.
Apologies if this gets asked a lot!

Are you talking about out of camera jpegs or RAWs? I am one of the seemingly few people who do no like oversaturated and warm Oly output, Panasonic jpegs have cooler/more accurate colours and better white balance for me. Some Panny lenses do struggle considerably more on Oly (20mm 1.7 being the worst offender), but that is mainly limited to AF and some CA that are not corrected automatically if there is body-lens mismatch.

Having said that, the only useful upgrade that GX7and G7 have compared to an EM5mk1 is an electronic first curtain shutter option that could help eliminate the micro smudges resulting from shutter shock. AF may also be better, as well as WB algorithms, but the latter is less of an issue if you shoot RAW. Not sure how all of this relates to your colour blobs problem though...

Are you talking about out of camera jpegs or RAWs? I am one of the seemingly few people who do no like oversaturated and warm Oly output, Panasonic jpegs have cooler/more accurate colours and better white balance for me. Some Panny lenses do struggle considerably more on Oly (20mm 1.7 being the worst offender), but that is mainly limited to AF and some CA that are not corrected automatically if there is body-lens mismatch.

Having said that, the only useful upgrade that GX7and G7 have compared to an EM5mk1 is an electronic first curtain shutter option that could help eliminate the micro smudges resulting from shutter shock. AF may also be better, as well as WB algorithms, but the latter is less of an issue if you shoot RAW. Not sure how all of this relates to your colour blobs problem though...

I'm not expecting an upgrade, just hoping it's similar in quality with no downsides :)
Going to a Panny body will fix (or at least improve) the blobs I get with bright lights in dark frames using the 7-14 and 12-35...I guess I'm asking if there's anything I'd miss from the E-M5? E.g. is the IBIS better/worse, is the low or high ISO quality much different...what hasn't even occured to me?

I like losing the hump from the em5 as it often gets trapped in the bag with bigger lenses on - so leaning towards the GX7, but not sure on the differences vs the G7. Full frame is definitely out - I came from APS-C (Pentax) which was already too big for me. I find the long exp noise OK on the e-m5, I can live with it and don't mind how it looks - but it's right on the border of acceptable, hoping the Panny's are similar and no worse?

Not so worried about the WB, I always shoot raw as I prefer the headroom - I'm assuming I can tweak the auto WB weighting warmer/cooler somewhere in settings if needed. I typically travel with two/three lenses, one body and a tiny tripod that clips onto rails - which fills a small shoulder bag, great city walking kit!

Something a little different: -

GX8 + Sigma 60mm f2.8 DN

Cheers,

Simon.
Love looking at action photos, although have very few of my own for some reason. :confused:

Here is one from my GF5 days... Crappy amateurish framing/composition but I like it still :)

Last edited:
I'm not expecting an upgrade, just hoping it's similar in quality with no downsides :)
Going to a Panny body will fix (or at least improve) the blobs I get with bright lights in dark frames using the 7-14 and 12-35...I guess I'm asking if there's anything I'd miss from the E-M5? E.g. is the IBIS better/worse, is the low or high ISO quality much different...what hasn't even occured to me?

I like losing the hump from the em5 as it often gets trapped in the bag with bigger lenses on - so leaning towards the GX7, but not sure on the differences vs the G7. Full frame is definitely out - I came from APS-C (Pentax) which was already too big for me. I find the long exp noise OK on the e-m5, I can live with it and don't mind how it looks - but it's right on the border of acceptable, hoping the Panny's are similar and no worse?

Not so worried about the WB, I always shoot raw as I prefer the headroom - I'm assuming I can tweak the auto WB weighting warmer/cooler somewhere in settings if needed. I typically travel with two/three lenses, one body and a tiny tripod that clips onto rails - which fills a small shoulder bag, great city walking kit!

You need to show us pics with "The Blobs" I think :) Noise on GX7/G7 whould be very comparable to the EM5, it was earlier Panny sensors that used to loose out.

Oly OMD 5axis inbody IBIS is the best, Panny lens OIS is comparable but obviously it can only be used on the lenses that have it. Panny IBIS is more comparable to EM10 with its 3axis stab, so not as good as the EM5mk1 probably. The hump was one reason why I chose EPL5 instead of the OMD, but G7 is also pretty big and has its own hump. GX7 has no hump, but it pretty big overall and has the protruding viewfinder that catches on things as well. Nothing is perfect in this world :)

Fully agree about portability, m43 has hit the sweetspot compromise between system size/weight (body+lens) and IQ imho.

Last edited:
I'm not so sure that the GX7 VF catches on things any worse than a mini DSLR would. My GX7 + lens will fit more easily into the smallest bag I have that it fits into better than my mini DSLR style G1 does.

The main reason I went for the GX7 was the ability to shoot with a mechanical shutter at 1/8000 second for wide aperture shooting without ND's. Not all bodies have this ability, the G7 AFAIK only goes to 1/4000. Electronic shutters may be an option to get a higher shutter speed but they can bring issues.

I like this shot Simon, terrific (y) I just bought the G7 and am debating to get the Sigma 60mm or not. What do you think of this lens?

I love it! Superb lens and extremely good value. Very sharp from wide open, and renders beautifully. Nice bokeh to for portraits etc.

Cheers,

Simon.

Back