"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

Yes, but I'm not talking small sensor bodies but rather APS-C or FF equivalents.

Isn't the Canon EOS-M the same size sensor as their crop DSLR's?

I think it is, APS-C.

I don't think they have EVF's which would rule them out for me and I believe that the focus performance at least of the 1st generation cameras wasn't competitive but I don't know what later models are like. Another thing against the M is that there don't seem to be many little lenses to mount on the little cameras.

I think it is, APS-C.

I don't think they have EVF's which would rule them out for me and I believe that the focus performance at least of the 1st generation cameras wasn't competitive but I don't know what later models are like. Another thing against the M is that there don't seem to be many little lenses to mount on the little cameras.

Yes it's APSC and the latest one uses the same sensor and electronics as one of the recent DSLRs. The AF is better on the recent models but still not as good as m4/3rds or fuji. And the lens selection is very sparse - two primes and three zooms is all they make in native lens mount. You can use EOS lenses with an adaptor but that defeats the object of the small system, for me at least. There's a very good add-on EVF for the M3 which I think is the best add-on unit for any system.

When I decided I couldn't live with back screen shooting I did initially think of getting an add on EVF for my GF1 but I decided that for me it made the camera awkwardly bulky and too susceptible to knocks. That's another thing that would put me off the M. I much prefer an integrated EVF, even a not so good one like the GX7's.

I am still undecided if I am going to swap, the decision makers will be the gh5 and em1 mk2. As my 7dmk2 is away at canon atm, I am using my wifes 100d, its amazing how much faster in operation the g7 is... the advantage of mirrorless I assume. The original canon M is a great little camera, its just to slow for a lot of things, but as a walk around its ideal and its build quality is brilliant, unlike the new plastic stuff canon have used! if that had the speed of a g series

A couple of adapted lens shots here, my 50-500 and the 4x digi zoom and a canon 60mm macro

Sparrowhawk by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

macro shot by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

Really like the DMC-G5 I can even get good pictures using the Ai mode. Is micro four thirds the future in cameras?

Just had GX 7 to go with my E-M5 mk11,looking good so far just can't set it to see focus point in the viewfinder and mnanually move it around with the D-Pad like I can on the Oly..how haed is it?Apart from that looking good and I'm liking it.

Sweet William by Paul Silk, on

Candle In The Garden by Paul Silk, on FlickrFlickr

Last edited:
Just had GX 7 to go with my E-M5 mk11,looking good so far just can't set it to see focus point in the viewfinder and mnanually move it around with the D-Pad like I can on the Oly..how haed is it?Apart from that looking good and I'm liking it.

You're having problems moving the focus point?

You'll have to wade through the manual but it is possible. As far as I remember you can set it up so that the four arrow buttons automatically move the focus point but I like to have those set for WB, ISO etc so I have it set so that I call up the focus point by pressing the left arrow button and it can then be moved about. Pressing the disp button returns it to the centre.

Last edited:

You'll have to wade through the manual but it is possible. As far as I remember you can set it up so that the four arrow buttons automatically move the focus point but I like to have those set for WB, ISO etc so I have it set so that I call up the focus point by pressing the left arrow button and it can then be moved about. Pressing the disp button returns it to the centre.
Thanks for the tip, I will try that.:)

It is very custom friendly and I now have it as I want it and hace always worked. Back dial for the AP/SP settings,front dial for exposure comp. dpad moves the focus point,fn 2 and 3 conrtol ISO and af mode..works a treat for me.:)

Candle In The Garden by Paul Silk, on Flickr

Olympus 4/3rds 35mm Macro with m43 adapter on Pana G3, handheld so had to up the ISO but pretty happy with results.

28254708744_e5a65e4afb_c.jpg

28768263582_b5a83f4fee_c.jpg

I could use some advice, please. I've currently got a GX1 and looking to upgrade before a trip in mid-September.

The main two things that frustrate me with it are lack of a viewfinder/using the screen in awkward positions (low or high) and the lack of wifi connectivity.

My lenses are: 14mm 2.5, 25mm 1.7 and Samyang fisheye. I may also stretch to a zoom, perhaps 40-150. Ideally looking to spend around £3-400, don't mind second hand via the forum here or mpb etc.

What would you guys recommend? I mostly shoot still images.

couple more and I shall bore you no more..

got an Oly OM 50mm 1.8 in perfect condition for £3 from local chazza shop on Sunday, ordered an adapter(£8) which turned up today..

mounted to GX1, not bad at all for £11 all in.

28608036130_8aa8834c17_c.jpg

28817535541_8bac9c6d75_c.jpg

Love little Fox face,really cute

My GX80 turned up on Thursday, had a little play yesterday now to RTM. Seems a nice little camera for the price.

What would be a suggested longer lens to go with the 12-32mm kit? Oly 40-150mm or anything else?

My GX80 turned up on Thursday, had a little play yesterday now to RTM. Seems a nice little camera for the price.

What would be a suggested longer lens to go with the 12-32mm kit? Oly 40-150mm or anything else?

Congratulations,looking forward to seeing your results.

If you want it for garden birding i would look for something longer.

If you want it for garden birding i would look for something longer.

Thanks for the replies Mike,

It's going to be used as a general walkabout longer zoom. I'm keeping my D810 and Sigma 150-600mm for the garden birding, well for the time being. I'm in no rush, just thinking ahead a little, to see how I get on with the system.

To Add,

IRC Currys stock Olympus and Panasonic lenses, so I may get Clare to take me down to our local store tomorrow. I don't want anything too big/long so the 40-150mm may do?

I have a 45-200mm and to be honest I hardly ever use it because I can't get a sharp image out of it but I got it out the other day and I had my usual problem, I struggled and in fact I didn't get a single keeper.

Back when I had DSLR's I had an unstabilised lens that went to 300mm that I used on my APS-C 20D and I took some of my favourite pictures with that combo without the issues I'm having today but maybe it's just me getting old and I now have two problems...

Firstly I can't hand hold my G1 or G7 with this lens and get anything useable. I tried selecting shutter priority and dialling in 1/1000 but even then at least half of my shots showed significant movement. Secondly even in what passes for daylight in northern England at f5.6 and 1/1000 I was at ISO 2,500 and as I was looking for motion blur issues and cropping heavily for bird shots I noticed that the higher ISO's weren't helping image quality.

I wonder if I should practice more or maybe it's just that my ability to handhold at long focal lengths has gone for good, or maybe the IS on this lens isn't very good?

Does anyone else have this lens and if so is the IS any good or is it my handholding ability? I expect it is... and if that's the case is there anything else that would be better for me?

I've just had a thought... I don't seem to be able to get any keepers at 200mm and 1/1000 but I can shoot flowers with my 50mm macro and get the majority to stand up to 100% viewing so I'm not completely jittery :D

Last edited:
I have a 45-200mm and to be honest I hardly ever use it because I can't get a sharp image out of it but I got it out the other day and I had my usual problem, I struggled and in fact I didn't get a single keeper.

Back when I had DSLR's I had an unstabilised lens that went to 300mm that I used on my APS-C 20D and I took some of my favourite pictures with that combo without the issues I'm having today but maybe it's just me getting old and I now have two problems...

Firstly I can't hand hold my G1 or G7 with this lens and get anything useable. I tried selecting shutter priority and dialling in 1/1000 but even then at least half of my shots showed significant movement. Secondly even in what passes for daylight in northern England at f5.6 and 1/1000 I was at ISO 2,500 and as I was looking for motion blur issues and cropping heavily for bird shots I noticed that the higher ISO's weren't helping image quality.

I wonder if I should practice more or maybe it's just that my ability to handhold at long focal lengths has gone for good, or maybe the IS on this lens isn't very good?

Does anyone else have this lens and if so is the IS any good or is it my handholding ability? I expect it is... and if that's the case is there anything else that would be better for me?

I've just had a thought... I don't seem to be able to get any keepers at 200mm and 1/1000 but I can shoot flowers with my 50mm macro and get the majority to stand up to 100% viewing so I'm not completely jittery :D

Maybe worth checking the OIS is working, try at 1/60 and see results?................Not sure on these lenses Alan as it's a new system to me, but if shooting at 1/1000 can you turn the OIS off? When I do bird photography with the D810 and if I'm going above 1/1000 I don't think the OIS makes much difference?

Otherwise practice a bit more.

I’ve had my GX80 for a couple of weeks now, here’s some of my thoughts. My other camera is a D750 which I brought to take pictures of my daughter, but as she is growing up and we are going out a lot more I need a camera which is small and can be shoved into a nappy bag.

First the negatives. The EVF is the same as the one in the GX7 which isn’t the best, still small and prone to tearing but generally usable. The biggest issue I have with the EVF is lack of eye relief, if you have used the LX100 you will know what I mean. It really needs an eye cup. The grip is okay but I prefer the rubber grip of the GX7. At ISO 200 there is still noise when pixel peeping, this was also the same when I had my E-M1.

Apart from those gripes I really like it, a lot. AF is fast and reliable. IS is good, especially for video. Lack of AA filter does make the images sharper. I have the lenses I want for now, panny 15mm 1.7, 25mm 1.4 and Oly 45mm. The 15mm really surprised me, didn’t think I would like it as much as I do.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/L1gypZ]
[/url]

Maybe worth checking the OIS is working, try at 1/60 and see results?................Not sure on these lenses Alan as it's a new system to me, but if shooting at 1/1000 can you turn the OIS off? When I do bird photography with the D810 and if I'm going above 1/1000 I don't think the OIS makes much difference?

Otherwise practice a bit more.
Thanks, I should have thought about IS not being an issue at 1/1,000...brain fade...

Thinking back I did get some ok moon shots some time ago so I'll have to gave it another go and see if I can do better or at least get a better idea what my problem is.

Last edited:
First the negatives. The EVF is the same as the one in the GX7 which isn’t the best, still small and prone to tearing but generally usable. The biggest issue I have with the EVF is lack of eye relief, if you have used the LX100 you will know what I mean. It really needs an eye cup. The grip is okay but I prefer the rubber grip of the GX7. At ISO 200 there is still noise when pixel peeping, this was also the same when I had my E-M1.

I have a GX7 and I just hate the evf so the GX80 is a complete non starter for me and I will not be buying any camera with that type of evf.

I'm a bit surprised at the noise issue and I haven't seen anything to worry about in my own iso 200 shots and indeed I'll use my newer mft cameras at any iso up to and including 25,600. I was revisiting a 25,600 shot recently and one thing that struck me was the absence of the colour noise I saw in my Canon files.

PS.
I've just looked through some G7 and GX7 shots ranging from ISO 200 to about 1250 and I can't see any noise. If you're seeing noise when pixel peeping at 200 I think either the GX80 isn't performing as well as previous models or something's amiss with settings or processing,

Could you post some examples with exif?

I try to expose to the right if possible but if not aim for a cursor in the middle exposure and I seem to get pretty good noise performance but boosting excessively post capture could lead to noise... on the whole though I'd say that I'm reasonably happy with high ISO shots and very happy with noise performance at lower ISO's and I'd say that even my lowly G1 is excellent at ISO 100 to something like 400.

Last edited:
I have a GX7 and I just hate the evf so the GX80 is a complete non starter for me and I will not be buying any camera with that type of evf.

I'm a bit surprised at the noise issue and I haven't seen anything to worry about in my own iso 200 shots and indeed I'll use my newer mft cameras at any iso up to and including 25,600. I was revisiting a 25,600 shot recently and one thing that struck me was the absence of the colour noise I saw in my Canon files.

The noise is there if you pixel peep, some people will notice it more than others (probably my OCD!). Not a fair comparison but my D750 is very clean at base ISO whereas I notice it more with m43, but I can live with that as I get other advantages from the system.

The EVF isn’t the best but better to have an average EVF than none at all, I remember when I had a GF1 and would have killed to have had a build it EVF in it. Tempted to get a GX8, really liked the handling on that camera and the EVF is really nice, just waiting to see what the E-M1 II brings.

The noise is there if you pixel peep, some people will notice it more than others (probably my OCD!). Not a fair comparison but my D750 is very clean at base ISO whereas I notice it more with m43, but I can live with that as I get other advantages from the system.

The EVF isn’t the best but better to have an average EVF than none at all, I remember when I had a GF1 and would have killed to have had a build it EVF in it. Tempted to get a GX8, really liked the handling on that camera and the EVF is really nice, just waiting to see what the E-M1 II brings.

I've been pixel peeping shots up to ISO 1,200 at 100% on screen and I see no noise. I could post examples but that doesn't help you, can you post examples and describe your processing?

I've been pixel peeping shots up to ISO 1,200 at 100% on screen and I see no noise. I could post examples but that doesn't help you, can you post examples and describe your processing?

As I said, some people are more suseptable to noise, that's why I don't push ISO over 1600. I use LR 6 to PP.

Back