"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

As I said, some people are more suseptable to noise, that's why I don't push ISO over 1600. I use LR 6 to PP.

Believe me you wont find anyone free to walk the streets who's more OCD than me and you did say that you're seeing noise at ISO 200 with both the Panny and your previous Oly so I think that maybe there's a problem here but what it is I don't know without seeing the shots, knowing the settings and knowing what's been done to the shots post capture. When I first started with MFT with a GF1 people here helped me to get better results and I'm sure that if you decide to investigate further folk here will me more than happy to help if they can and if there is indeed any possibility of getting better results.

Believe me you wont find anyone free to walk the streets who's more OCD than me and you did say that you're seeing noise at ISO 200 with both the Panny and your previous Oly so I think that maybe there's a problem here but what it is I don't know without seeing the shots, knowing the settings and knowing what's been done to the shots post capture. When I first started with MFT with GF1 people here helped me to get better results and I'm sure that if you decide to investigate further folk here will me more than happy to help if they can and if there is indeed any possibility of getting better results.
I've never seen noise at 200 iso on my em1?? Unless I blow it up 400% which is ridiculous
Not sure how you can be susceptible to noise?? It's either there or it isnt

Last edited:
I've never seen noise at 200 iso on my em1?? Unless I blow it up 400% which is ridiculous
Not sure how you can be susceptible to noise?? It's either there or it isnt

I might go back and revisit some of my GF1 and G1 shots. I remember having trouble with the GF1 but I don't remember the character of the noise and although I don't remember any specific issues with the G1 that's probably because I overcame them while I had the GF1, anyway... certainly on the newer models I don't remember seeing any colour noise, not like I used to get with my Canon DSLR's especially when I tried to lift the shadows, even my G1 and GF1 shots seemed a bit more robust than the shots from the Canon DSLR's I had back then. Still, the offer of help is there if there is an issue that can be mitigated.

This noise thing. I see noise at base iso on my both my Olympus em5's and em5ii. This is shooting raw before any editing. It's not obvious and you do have to go looking for it at 100%. It's normally most visible in the sky where you can see a slight grain, no colour noise though. It's more prominent in long exposures for obvious reasons.

Not something that bothers me at all as you have to look for it and it's very easily dealt with but it is there.

I think this is getting blown out of proportion, as I have already stated some people are more susceptible to noise more than others. Does it stop me shooting m43? No, it’s just something I notice. But too hopefully this will put an end to it. Here’s crop at 100%, Exif is in my flickr.

I think this is getting blown out of proportion, as I have already stated some people are more susceptible to noise more than others. Does it stop me shooting m43? No, it’s just something I notice. But too hopefully this will put an end to it. Here’s crop at 100%, Exif is in my flickr.

Hey, I was just trying to help but if you think I'm insulting your manhood... I'll stop and leave you to sort out or live with out whatever's going on with this last comment... That's awful and the only time I've seen anything like that is when boosting the shadows waaaaaay beyond anything sensible.

Hey, I was just trying to help but if you think I'm insulting your manhood... I'll stop and leave you to sort out or live with out whatever's going on with this last comment... That's awful and the only time I've seen anything like that is when boosting the shadows waaaaaay beyond anything sensible.

I’m not having a go, just felt the issue wasn’t worth going on about. I’ve had an E-M5, E-M1, GX7 and GX80, they have all displayed the same, but it’s not a big issue only an observation.

If that shot is what you're getting at ISO 200 and 100% there's something massively wrong somewhere.

This is a screen grab of a raw file, no processing, it's a sky and tree shot at ISO 200 and 300%, there nothing like what you are getting in the shadow areas.

Last edited:

Are you shooting RAW and is there a preset applied on import?

I'd open the image in Lightroom & apply the "zeroed" preset and then compare 100% crops to see if it is because of processing or some other settings in camera.

P1020708-Pano copy (Large).jpg

The Great Theatre at Ephesus in Turkey

13 image panoramic edited in Lightroom. The weather was awful, it rained almost nonstop while we were there, hence the hoodie! Apart from the bottom of the other half's leg not blending properly I think it turned out quite nicely. I might take it into Photoshop at some point and fix that but its hardly noticeable at first glance.

If that shot is what you're getting at ISO 200 and 100% there's something massively wrong somewhere.

This is a screen grab of a raw file, no processing, it's a sky and tree shot at ISO 200 and 300%, there nothing like what you are getting in the shadow areas.

On my laptop I can see lots of darker specs in the sky area. It's the sort of noise I described above. Not intrusive but it wasn't something I was used to seeing when I switched over from full frame.

Are you shooting RAW and is there a preset applied on import?

I'd open the image in Lightroom & apply the "zeroed" preset and then compare 100% crops to see if it is because of processing or some other settings in camera.

Processing from raw.

On my laptop I can see lots of darker specs in the sky area. It's the sort of noise I described above. Not intrusive but it wasn't something I was used to seeing when I switched over from full frame.

Yep, that's what I see as well. It's not really an issue, only noticable when you zoom in.

Yep, that's what I see as well. It's not really an issue, only noticable when you zoom in.

Whatever you guys are seeing in this screen grab of a 300% crop from a raw is nothing like the total mess in Willo's shot, there's something seriously wring there Willo but like I said me posting examples doesn't help you but if that's an example of what you're regularly getting IMO you could be getting much better results for very little effort. Just my 2p :D

One from yesterday with the GX80 after reading some of Willos comments. I have lifted the foreground shadows as I tried not to OE the sky, no other PP work done.. I see noise in the photos at ISO 200 if I peep and I expected this and the limitations compared to my D810. Doesn't seem as bad as Willo's photo to my eyes?

Also, I was using the 12-32mm kit lens. There is some serious smoothing in the bottom right conifer though. Maybe some wind movement?

P1000090 by Swansea Jack, on Flickr

I'm busy at the mo so no time for photography days out but had a few minutes to try and get to grips with my 45-200mm. It seems to be capable of very good results so I'll have to work on why I can't always get them.

G1 + 45-200mm, 100% crops via Photobucket so will not be as nice as on my screen on which they look sharp.

I'm busy at the mo so no time for photography days out but had a few minutes to try and get to grips with my 45-200mm. It seems to be capable of very good results so I'll have to work on why I can't always get them.

G1 + 45-200mm, 100% crops via Photobucket so will not be as nice as on my screen on which they look sharp.

Looks pretty good to me!

Is it like the GX8 you need to switch image review off for action shots.

No Mike, I had it set it for 2 seconds, although it would probably be better Off and for you and BIF. ........Apart from some testing around the garden, yesterday was the first time using it outside, as such.

Problem I seem to have though, is inconsistent metering/exposure with out changing the settings as I shot in manual. I had a few shots yesterday where it was over exposing on some and fine on others, even using burst shooting..... Have you noticed this on your GX8 ???

No Mike, I had it set it for 2 seconds, although it would probably be better Off and for you and BIF. ........Apart from some testing around the garden, yesterday was the first time using it outside, as such.

Problem I seem to have though, is inconsistent metering/exposure with out changing the settings as I shot in manual. I had a few shots yesterday where it was over exposing on some and fine on others, even using burst shooting..... Have you noticed this on your GX8 ???

Not noticed any inconsistent exposures apart from situations where i would have needed to make a compensation for any camera.

Has anyone used the digital zoom on the GX8? Tried a couple of shots and quite impressed, a useful tool for that extra reach, it works with the Oly 40-150 2.8 maybe a good option if you don't want to fork out for the Panasonic 100-400

Has anyone used the digital zoom on the GX8? Tried a couple of shots and quite impressed, a useful tool for that extra reach, it works with the Oly 40-150 2.8 maybe a good option if you don't want to fork out for the Panasonic 100-400

Going to try it when i work out how,i know it should be simple but it doesnt make sense to this old guy :D

One from the g7 and my 150-600

moon @1200mm plus 4x digi zoom by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

and one from the g7 with my 50-500 at quite a distance

Sparrowhawk by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

I wonder if there is much difference between the gx8 and g7 for the digital zoom.

I didn't take much notice to the digital zoom. I thought that was just for superzooms [emoji16]
Nicely detailed moon

I can't see myself using a digital zoom as you might as well capture the whole image and crop later, surely all you are doing with the digital zoom is cropping in camera? Fine if you're 100% sure I suppose... I used to have a camera that had the option but I remember giving up and cropping later as and when required as normal.

I suppose one area it could help is when you're shooting a large number of shots and need to get them ready quickly for social media or whatever. In that scenario I suppose in camera cropping will reduce processing time or eliminate it completely if you're shooting JPEG and in that scenario you'll get the job done quickly.

Last edited:
I can't see myself using a digital zoom as you might as well capture the whole image and crop later, surely all you are doing with the digital zoom is cropping in camera? Fine if you're 100% sure I suppose... I used to have a camera that had the option but I remember giving up and cropping later as and when required as normal.

I suppose one area it could help is when you're shooting a large number of shots and need to get them ready quickly for social media or whatever. In that scenario I suppose in camera cropping will reduce processing time or eliminate it completely if you're shooting JPEG and in that scenario you'll get the job done quickly.
Not something you'd want to use for most things but for some bird/wildlife would be useful

Does the shutter shock issue on the G7 affect all the lens or just select ones? Tempted to get a G7 with either 14-45 and 45-200 or maybe just the 14-140.

Does the shutter shock issue on the G7 affect all the lens or just select ones? Tempted to get a G7 with either 14-45 and 45-200 or maybe just the 14-140.

In my experience only certain lenses. But...

Just my own opinion but having being stung with shutter shock with my GX7 and G7 I will definitely not be buying another Panny body or lens until the on line geeks have declared them problem free. It's deffo a case of buyer beware and if you're interested in any of these bodies and lenses it's deffo worth reading up on shutter shock issues so that you can make an informed decision, Panny wont get another penny from me until I'm certain the kit I buy isn't affected as after shelling out twice and finding that my cameras are affected I'm... less than happy... and actually I think Panny are a complete disgrace.

In my experience only certain lenses. But...

Just my own opinion but having being stung with shutter shock with my GX7 and G7 I will definitely not be buying another Panny body or lens until the on line geeks have declared them problem free. It's deffo a case of buyer beware and if you're interested in any of these bodies and lenses it's deffo worth reading up on shutter shock issues so that you can make an informed decision, Panny wont get another penny from me until I'm certain the kit I buy isn't affected as after shelling out twice and finding that my cameras are affected I'm... less than happy... and actually I think Panny are a complete disgrace.
What is it? Excuse my ignorance but although I've heard about it, I've not really paid much attention.

Back