"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

The more I see of this camera, the more I like!

Simon.

£699 @ Wex with free grip,even the launch price is interesting,i guess if you wanted gray just under £500

That is pre production so may be something they fixed with the final product? Wouldn't swop the gx8 for it. A decent upgrade if you have a g6/7 maybe and pretty nicely priced.

At that price i would be adding it not swapping,the main problem i have with the GX8 is with the 100-400 zoom,i dont like to call the zoom ring stiff but i have the tendency to exert pressure in the wrong places with my hand while zooming,this changes settings which i need to undo before my next shot.

At that price i would be adding it not swapping,the main problem i have with the GX8 is with the 100-400 zoom,i dont like to call the zoom ring stiff but i have the tendency to exert pressure in the wrong places with my hand while zooming,this changes settings which i need to undo before my next shot.
Heard a lot about the zoom ring, seems a common problem, it is easy to unwillingly change settings especially with touch enabled

Heard a lot about the zoom ring, seems a common problem, it is easy to unwillingly change settings especially with touch enabled

I dont think of it as a problem,most long zooms that have a easy zoom action suffer from zoom creep this one doesn't,i just find for me with the GX8 i cant hold it securely and zoom without moving some pressure to my thumb area this changes W/B and all sorts,i would not part with the GX8 it has IMO too many benefits for me.

I haven't had the chance to get out with a camera for a while so I've been amusing myself putting together different folders and one is shots taken either out of or through windows :D These two were taken with my GF1 and 20mm f1.7.

Bruges, Belgium. A nice little apartment.

Almaty, Kazakhstan. A rather off putting nondescript block from the outside but like something out of a fashion magazine within.

Last edited:
What do people think about a 2nd hand GX8 v the new G80?

Does the GX8 suffer from shutter shock?

Depends who you speak to on the shutter shock issue ;)

What type of photography do you do,i like the sound of the G80 but it may not be as fast as my GX8 for birds in flight ect so waiting for some reviews.

Depends who you speak to on the shutter shock issue ;)

What type of photography do you do,i like the sound of the G80 but it may not be as fast as my GX8 for birds in flight ect so waiting for some reviews.

I mainly do landscape, travel, city photos - travelling to Singapore next year and was thinking of traveling light

I have never had a problem for that type of image using my GX8 and 12-35 f2,8 and not read of any one else having one.

Yes it suffers SS but you need to remember that it only occurs with specific lenses.

AFAIK the GX80 has the same field sequential evf as the GX7 and although many are happy with it I'm not and will not be buying another camera fitted with one of these. I'd advise anyone looking at this camera to try before they buy to make sure they're happy with the evf.

Last edited:
Yes it suffers SS but you need to remember that it only occurs with specific lenses.

AFAIK the GX80 has the same field sequential evf as the GX7 and although many are happy with it I'm not and will not be buying another camera fitted with one of these. I'd advise anyone looking at this camera to try before they buy to make sure they're happy with the evf.

Why are u not happy with the EVF? Is the G8 the same?

Why are u not happy with the EVF? Is the G8 the same?

If you Google reviews of cameras with the field sequential evf you'll probably find that some people report a rainbow effect. I wouldn't describe what I see as a rainbow effect, what I see is a sort of shimmering unshapness and indeed nothing looks sharp to me but it's not a diopter issue as the in view info is sharp. Whatever the cause is I've never seen this with any other evf I've used. For me the evf really spoils the enjoyment of the camera however you may be perfectly happy with it and as peoples experiences tend to vary I'd recommend that anyone looking at a field sequential evf equipped camera should try before they buy. Just to be sure. I normally buy kit on line as it's difficult for me to get to a camera shop so I wasn't aware of the evf issue before I bought my GX7.

You mention the G8 but do you mean the GX8? As far as I know both these cameras have very good evf's and indeed I'm very happy with the evf on my G7.

Hope that helps :D

Last edited:
If you Google reviews of cameras with the field sequential evf you'll probably find that some people report a rainbow effect. I wouldn't describe what I see as a rainbow effect, what I see is a sort of shimmering unshapness and indeed nothing looks sharp to me but it's not a diopter issue as the in view info is sharp. Whatever the cause is I've never seen this with any other evf I've used. For me the evf really spoils the enjoyment of the camera however you may be perfectly happy with it and as peoples experiences tend to vary I'd recommend that anyone looking at a field sequential evf equipped camera should try before they buy. Just to be sure. I normally buy kit on line as it's difficult for me to get to a camera shop so I wasn't aware of the evf issue before I bought my GX7.

You mention the G8 but do you mean the GX8? As far as I know both these cameras have very good evf's and indeed I'm very happy with the evf on my G7.

Hope that helps :D

Sorry I meant the new G80

Yes, I said G8 but I meant G80 :D I think the reports say that the G80 has a very good evf :D

With the Panasonic unable to do exposure compensation in manual with auto ISO i decided to try something else today,i used shutter priority with auto ISO and a +1 exposure compensation,it worked great but i have no idea how it works,what it changes and if it can change ISO or aperture how does it decide,any thoughts please.

The only drawback with shutter priority that I can see is that it can very often go for too wide an aperture.

For example I normally use aperture priority as it makes the most sense to me but when the light drops the camera can set too low a shutter speed and by that I mean a shutter speed that might be fine for still life objects but useless if the subject is people. Anyway, in this scenario I like to switch to manual and dial in appropriate aperture and shutter settings and let the ISO float and that works but Panasonic doesn't allow the dialing in of compo which I often feel is necessary. Switching to shutter priority will allow compo but the camera may select too wide an aperture. This may be an issue if you want more dof, for example for a group shot.

Another way around the lack of compo in manual is to do it post capture and take the hit in image quality. It's not ideal but a bit more noise or noise reduction may not be too damaging.

The ideal fix would be to allow auto iso and compo in manual or another way to do it would be to somehow set minimum aperture and shutter values in shutter and aperture modes.

Last edited:
I find for wildlife especially BIF shutter speed is the most important but was just wondering how it decides what to change aperture or ISO,i use the 100-400 wide open or next to wide open most of the time any way.

The best implementation I've seen of this is from Pentax. They have a mode called TAv where you can set both shutter speed and aperture and the camera will then vary ISO depending on light variation. Exposure compensation (from memory) is also available.

I'd love to see that implemented by Panasonic :)

Simon.

That's how my A7 works in manual... I set the aperture and shutter speed and the camera floats the ISO up and down and allows ex comp. Using MFT after the A7 feels like stepping back to the 1950's.

I find for wildlife especially BIF shutter speed is the most important but was just wondering how it decides what to change aperture or ISO,i use the 100-400 wide open or next to wide open most of the time any way.

When using shutter priority in good light I'd expect the camera to behave pretty well and keep the ISO low and vary the aperture. Dial in exp comp and the camera will probably again vary the aperture. I think this will work well for you for BIF unless the light is very good and you could shoot wide open in aperture mode and get high shutter speed.

I think that the problem is in lower light for example when shooting indoors when the camera will possibly more often than not select a wide aperture rather than vary the ISO, that's been my experience anyway and my gripe is that often I don't want to shoot wide open and would rather use a smaller aperture to get more dof at the expense of a higher ISO, for example for a group shot.

My G7 works a little better than my GX7 as it has auto ISO in manual, the GX7 does not. Neither allow exp comp in manual.

Last edited:
I see that the GX80 is available for £459 (after cashback.)

That looks tempting but the EVF and the lack of an AF/MF switch hurts and also I really like the tilting EVF now and wouldn't want to lose it.

I hope they bring out a RF style with a better EVF, AF/MF switch, new shutter shock free shutter and hopefully the user features I'd like (exp. comp. in manual and full time dof preview in all modes) and if they did I'd be tempted.

Nice price for the GX80 though.

That'll be the GX9. I'd expect to follow the GH5, perhaps even with the same sensor.

Simon.

That'll be the GX9. I'd expect to follow the GH5, perhaps even with the same sensor.

Simon.

Stop there,enough is enough,i cant afford what i want now so nothing else please.;)

I hope the GX9 has the hardware and user features I want but ideally I'd like a GX7 sized camera so I'll probably wait until Panasonic's marketing strategy becomes a little clearer. I suppose that means waiting two years or so but in that time if Sony or someone else makes a compact and reasonably priced 24mm f1.8 for the A6xxx line I'll sell my MFT gear and go the Sony way. I've been with MFT since the GF1 which is a long time to wait, I'll give MFT another update or so but their lagging behind the Sony system in features and the SS issue has left a very bad taste.

From a personal point of view, I can't say I find MFT lacking in features in any way, shape or form. They are by no means perfect, and I would love to see a significant step forward in continuous predictive AF (maybe the EM-1 mk II and GH5 will provide this), but I don't find them lacking anything per se.

Apart from your obsession with exposure compensation while in manual ;):D, what's Sony got that you feel is missing from MFT Alan?

Simon.

Currently deciding between the G80 and the Sony a6300. I did have the X-T2 in mind too but price is prohibitive there.

On one hand, the 120fps 1080 and sharper images of the Sony are compelling but I currently shoot with a G5 and I've managed well so familiarity (plus I won't have to get new lenses) is a definite bonus. 5axis stabilisation sounds great too.

Apparently the G80 has a Cinelog mode too as I'd love to get in to grading, don't know whether this is new or the G7 had it too?

Anyone know what the low light is like on the newest Panas? That's also a compelling reason to go Sony.

Apart from your obsession with exposure compensation while in manual ;):D, what's Sony got that you feel is missing from MFT Alan?

Simon.

What Sony has is a nice implementation of auto ISO + exp comp and full time DoF preview in all modes. Other makers may do it better with minimum this and maximum that but the Sony is good enough and a quantum leap ahead of Panasonic, IMO.

I wouldn't say these are obsessions of mine as they're very practical and useful things for me that the competition has and MFT doesn't.

Let me give you a scenario... you're at an indoor / social event or outdoors in low light and in both scenarios the light can change quickly and you don't want to be the geek with the massive DSLR and 50mm f1.4 lens and you certainly don't want a speedlight firing off and ruining the ambiance and attracting attention so you take your MFT camera and 17mm f1.8, 25 or 45mm f1.8.

When you go to take a people shot or some other shot when you'd want some DoF in aperture priority as is your want the camera selects 1/60 as it always does in this light and this is entirely useless so to overcome the too low a shutter speed for a people shot with people acting naturally and not posing just for your gratification you switch to manual (shutter priority is useless as it'll select too wide an aperture) and dial in f4 and 1/150 (or whatever / there abouts) and then you check the exposure and ISO and decide the scene is too dark and so start pressing buttons and adjusting and chimping the ISO settings and the scene brightness and adjusting again and the moments gone and people are getting bored and/or anxious and/or angry with you and instead of unobtrusive shooting you're not getting the natural shot you wanted and you're back to being the geek with the camera slowing things up and messing everyone about or just being irritating.

With the Sony it's simpler and quicker. Switch to manual, set the aperture and shutter speed and forget them, let the ISO float and change the exp comp with the dedicated dial as and when required... So Quick and So Easy. And there's no button pressing or chimping the settings to check the scene brightness.

The DoF preview is less of an issue as I've been shooting for over 45 years now and I have a reasonable idea but IMO it's still an advantage to be able to see the WYSIWYG in the VF and the way Sony do it is there to be used or you can turn it off. I leave it turned on and I do find it a help.

And a PS.

In the low light and discrete shooting scenario you have to be careful with the selection of MFT body and lens as in this scenario you're right in the shutter shock range with no options but to use other gear as if you use affected gear and the mechanical shutter you run the risk of the shot being ruined by SS and if you switch to the electronic shutter you run the risk of banding.

MFT is such a nice system and IMO it's a shame that it can be a little hobbled by a lack of useful features and the dreadful scenario of some body and lens combinations being... lets be kind and say "problematic" in some shooting scenarios.

Last edited:
I know the benefits of it Allan, I just wondered what other features you thought were missing (you describe a single feature but talk about hobbled by a lack features ie plural). I've certainly never felt any MFT camera I've owned was hobbled in anyway. You always have to compromise somewhere regardless of camera or brand.

I guess I'm lucky with shutter shock as well.

Simon.

Simon, the plurals are there... see?

Yes, there are compromises and I'm just expressing my own opinion as to how the kit works for me and what I'd like. TBH the balance for me is fine at the moment and at the moment mft still works for me, just, but for me it's a close run thing now when I look at the competition.

I know you're not affected by shutter shock but I don't think it's luck as you've previously stated that you routinely use the electronic shutter so not being affected by SS should come as no surprise but from my example above you should be able to at least understand the issues that I could encounter even if you're never going to use your kit like that.

As your camera is one of the ones which can cause shutter shock when fitted with a susceptible lens if you were to use it as I use my cameras maybe you too could see one of the issues I encounter. Maybe you'd see more than one of the issues I've mentioned, that's plural issues :D

I think we use our gear in different ways, I think I perhaps push my kit more. If you don't do discrete / hand held shooting in low and artificial light or come across the issues that SS or the electronic shutter can cause perhaps you can't see my pov.

I may be wrong but I think I've ruffled your feathers by voicing my opinion and critisisms of the gear. Well, there you go. My cameras and lenses are just tools and I'll express my own opinion and lavish critism or praise on them as I see fit. Sorry for that :D

And on hobbling. I've never used a camera system as hobbled as MFT. As I've said before, this is supposed to be a system yet we have to pick our gear carefully with multiple bodies and lenses that when used in combination severely limit their use for some people and some uses. That just isn't acceptable to me and I'll have to think every carefully before buying my next camera or lens.

Last edited:
I can assure you that I've no ruffled feathers at all. Why would I? Your views are just as real and valid as mine. You're right that we shoot very differently, and I'm equally sure you're right that that's why I don't see the issues that you do. The world would be a boring place if we were all the same. If anything, I just struggle to understand why you persist with the system if it doesn't allow you the control, features and to shoot how you want. However, that's entirely up to you :).

As I've said before, shutter shock is a real issue but thankfully I've yet to see it on any m4/3 body I've owned (I only started using electronic shutter when I got the GX8). By the sounds of things, both Panasonic and Olympus have eliminated it on their latest models. The G80 / G85 certainly seems to be their most complete body yet, and may even tempt me away from my GX8 in the fullness of time. We'll see. Oh, and my main reason for using electronic shutter is to operate the camera silently - getting my 4 year old son to stay still long enough with a natural expression for a photo is a little bit easier when he doesn't know I've focused and taken a shot :).

As you know, I am a big fan of the format, but there are compromises for me with it too. The performance of predictive continuous auto focus is my biggest complaint, but I knew that when I bought into the m4/3 system. Panasonic's DFD has moved things on, but I really hope the GH5 and OMD EM1 mk II really produce a leap forward in this regard.

Anyway, no ruffled feathers here, just genuinely interested in what you see the issues to be :).

Simon.

Back