"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

Lovely light Simon. Is it me or is there a stripe of the orangey/red breast colour runnng through the wing feathers?? Thank you for sharing!

Lovely light Simon. Is it me or is there a stripe of the orangey/red breast colour runnng through the wing feathers?? Thank you for sharing!

I hadn't noticed that before you mentioned it. Not being particularly knowledgeable about such things, I just assumed the plumage was perfectly normal. Think it is more of a light brown than orange though.

Simon.

Probably my monitor then!! Anyway it's still a lovely image. I really should post more as this thread seems very quiet. Looks like Panasonic is not as popular as Olympus or Fuji. I have to say though that I am loving my GX80, although the viewfinder limitations were exposed last evening in bright sunlight, when I couldn't really make out the Grey Wagtail in amongst a flock of Pied! As yet I haven't checked on the images I managed to get, which is this afternoons job! I am thinking of possibly getting a second body to avoid changing lenses now that I have found the wonderful world of haenesses, but I am unsure whether to go for a second GX80 or go for the G80. Quite a large price difference for what seems to be very little improvement, unless I haven't read enough!

I really should post more as this thread seems very quiet. Looks like Panasonic is not as popular as Olympus or Fuji. I have to say though that I am loving my GX80, although the viewfinder limitations were exposed last evening in bright sunlight, when I couldn't really make out the Grey Wagtail in amongst a flock of Pied!

I use my GX7 or GX80 most days but it's just casual shooting and not really worth posting here. I mostly use the GX7 with the Panny 12-35mm f2.8 and the GX80 with the Oly 17mm f1.8. The image quality from both is excellent.

I do think that these cameras need a better EVF though, I think the one they have is useable but not the best...

I shot a robin on Sunday that had exactly the same orange band running through the wing as that one. I'd never noticed it on one before either.

I have a gx80 and noticed that it displays a purple outline or pixelation/distortion on the image through the LCD screen.
It does not show on the image or video when it has been exported off the camera.

It doesn't do it all the time but it has been noticeable as late, very little use from this camera and is on the latest firmware
Anything I should be concerned about and should i report under warranty.

Just checking the simple stuff... could this be focus peaking? Could it maybe be the rainbow effect some people see?

I have not heard of that, but a quick google says it is not

For example, I was looking at a row of daffodils, so the image was a bunch of grit yellow flowers in the sun.

On the LCD screen, it shown a purple around the flowers, it was individual detail but purple pixelation.

The actual footage when extracted was fine.

I don't think it is normal, I will try and get a video of it when it happens.

I have not heard of that, but a quick google says it is not

For example, I was looking at a row of daffodils, so the image was a bunch of grit yellow flowers in the sun.

On the LCD screen, it shown a purple around the flowers, it was individual detail but purple pixelation.

The actual footage when extracted was fine.

I don't think it is normal, I will try and get a video of it when it happens.

What you describe does sound a lot like focus peaking, so it may well be worth just checking your menu settings. It certainly can not harm. The one thing that bothers me is the colour your describing. I don't have the same camera that you have, but I'm sure my GX8 does not allow you to display the peaking effect in purple. One question, are you in auto or manual focus?

I hope you can get this sorted out.

Simon.

There were a pair of very tame Dunnocks in the garden over the weekend, and I managed to get a few images. Here is one of them because this thread was languishing on page 3!!

p1050415-copy-large-jpg.97043

GH4 with 45-150 & 16mm extension tube.

I think it needs a little more DoF.

Anyone have any ideas why I can't select MF? I move the dial/clicker on the back to MF but it still says AFC.

More context (was obviously tired). G80 with the 14-140mm lens. I also tried with the 20mm. Is there something wrong with our G80 or am I missing a setting that is blocking MF?

g80 mf.jpg

Does your lens have a switch,i have the G80 but with the 100-400 i use the lens switch,bet its something in the menu.

Sorry being thick here,tap it on the rear screen and you can choose MF.

Last edited:
Does your lens have a switch,i have the G80 but with the 100-400 i use the lens switch,bet its something in the menu.

Sorry being thick here,tap it on the rear screen and you can choose MF.
It doesn't have a switch and going into the quick menu doesn't let me pick MF either :-(.

I got confused as ime using Olympus as well,with my G80 just switching to MF on the camera back does it for me,if it doesnt work for you i think you must have an in camera setting stopping you.

I got confused as ime using Olympus as well,with my G80 just switching to MF on the camera back does it for me,if it doesnt work for you i think you must have an in camera setting stopping you.
Yea we have an Oly as well :).

I think it's a setting but can't find it for the life of me. Even tried resetting to defaults. Might have to contact Panasonic.

This thread needs more pictures,G80 100-400

P1060191.jpg

Very impressive so far mike ,as older age catches me up I think I might have to look into this further ,keep them coming b.i.f especially

Very impressive so far mike ,as older age catches me up I think I might have to look into this further ,keep them coming b.i.f especially

Thanks but don't do it too soon, its a steep learning curve after over 40 years with optical viewfinders ;), honestly i wish Nikon would throw their hat into the ring and use the 1 series focusing,20fps with AFC.these cameras will keep getting better for a fair while yet.

both fast birds mike so good a/f ,the crows a touch noisy .whats it like in normal conditions i.e grey skies etc and against the canon bugbear a messy background ??

both fast birds mike so good a/f ,the crows a touch noisy .whats it like in normal conditions i.e grey skies etc and against the canon bugbear a messy background ??

Smaller lighter cameras equal smaller sensors which in turn require better light, I dont think there is a way out of it,going for a crop sensor mirrorless makes the lenses go up in size and weight so you are back to square one.

I resigned myself to getting less quality but being able on a good day to walk a couple of miles with my gear,the trouble is if your a forum animal like me most images are not judged on the image itself,its dissected into detail resolved, DR,noise and many other things, that's why i say lug the heavy gear as long as you can.

Very mixed light today some very cloudy and dull like when this image was taken.

P1060302.jpg

That's pretty good though mike , will be keeping a eye on this combo over time ,my lad has had the G85 for a couple of weeks so I might actually be allowed to actually touch it soon ,then I can see what's it's all about .but your pics are raising the interest levels a touch.
And I know exactly where your coming from re the sensor size and light ,having just gone back to a 1.3 crop 1D series camera .

Last edited:
Thinking about getting a fixed focal length prime to go my G7, what would people recommend?

Thinking about getting a fixed focal length prime to go my G7, what would people recommend?

What do you want/like to photograph? It depends really. I love my 20mm Panasonic. Lovely IQ, though the AF is a little slow and can hunt a lot at night. Though when it works at night I can get some lovely shots! It tends to be the primary lens on my camera.

45mm Oly is fantastic, but I use it a lot less.

What do you want/like to photograph? It depends really. I love my 20mm Panasonic. Lovely IQ, though the AF is a little slow and can hunt a lot at night. Though when it works at night I can get some lovely shots! It tends to be the primary lens on my camera.

45mm Oly is fantastic, but I use it a lot less.

Not sure really what I want to shoot. Looking for something that's maybe an all round lens. Was after something a bit faster when the light gets low than my 14-140 lens. Initial thought was maybe a 25mm f1.7.

Afternoon all. Picked up my brand new G80 in the last few days and now waiting for my new prime lens to arrive. Purchasing lens at the same time gave me an additional £50 discount -result. Although I fully intend reading whatever manual is in the box and on-line, etc, would any fellow users mind sharing with me their top 2 or 3 tips for setting the camera up?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Afternoon all. Picked up my brand new G80 in the last few days and now waiting for my new prime lens to arrive. Purchasing lens at the same time gave me an additional £50 discount -result. Although I fully intend reading whatever manual is in the box and on-line, etc, would any fellow users mind sharing with me their top 2 or 3 tips for setting the camera up?

I always enable all ISO settings including the very highest and I make sure it's possible to call up the focus point with a function button and other than that I just shove everything else I need into the custom menu.

Set the camera to shoot RAW or RAW+JPEG :)

It also defaults to 1080p for video so i'd change that to 4k (if you want to shoot video).

Also for some bone-headed reason the G80 seems to default to both dials modifying the current priority (e.g. in A, both dials change aperture....). So set it to exposure bias.

I also set my auto-ISO to limit to 1600 (or 3200). But i'd suggest you find a setting you're happy with.

Cracking camera btw, I love the G80, my wife has one. I think I prefer it to my E-m5ii!

From the last few days, GX7 and 12-35mm f2.8...

A crop from that last one...

Back