"Panasonic G series" Owners Thread

Managed to see and handle a GH5 at Jessops in the MetroCentre today and have a good long chat about it with the Panasonic rep who was there.

Ergonomically, I doubt I could find a better camera to fit my hands and fingers. It really did fit like a glove. My whole hand fitted comfortably on the grip, and the new joystick was perfectly placed for me. The ease of now moving the AF points around is massive - so very useful. Superb details as well - simple things like a cutout to open the rear screen make such a difference.

The EVF is just flat out amazing. It really is just like looking through the best of optical viewfinders. It is just on another level to any camera I've used before.

BUT, I'm not and never will be a videographer and the GH5 really is first and foremost a video machine. It's a lot of money to pay knowing you wouldn't use a lot of the functionality built in to it. Having said that, the new EVF, ergonomics and claimed improvements of the sensor (colour and low light performance) make it very tempting all the same.

They also had the new Panny Leica 12-60mm lens. It looks lovely. The variable aperture is very linear and starts to change as soon as you start to zoom the lens. It reaches f3.8 around 40mm before moving to f4 just over 50mm. If it performs as well as it looks, this is something I could be interested in:).

Cheers,

Simon.

I was planning on going to Jessops last week to check the GH5 out but something came up. They have more dates so will try and pop in to have a look. Been hearing good things about the EVF, also the samples look good. Like you I’m not very interested in the Video side.

Had a play with the E-M1.2, really liked it apart from the price tag.

I was planning on going to Jessops last week to check the GH5 out but something came up. They have more dates so will try and pop in to have a look. Been hearing good things about the EVF, also the samples look good. Like you I’m not very interested in the Video side.

Had a play with the E-M1.2, really liked it apart from the price tag.

The key thing for me will be the image quality. If it is a big step up, then I could see me being tempted by it in front of the EM1 mk II. However, my main lenses are now all Olys, so I'd also not be able to take advantage of the DFD focusing etc. At the end of the day, right now my GX8 does everything that I ask of it extremely well so I'm in no hurry to rush out and buy a new camera body. All things being equal, I think I will wait until the EM5 mk III and / or GX9 hit the street, and see what they bring to the party.

Simon.

The key thing for me will be the image quality. If it is a big step up, then I could see me being tempted by it in front of the EM1 mk II. However, my main lenses are now all Olys, so I'd also not be able to take advantage of the DFD focusing etc. At the end of the day, right now my GX8 does everything that I ask of it extremely well so I'm in no hurry to rush out and buy a new camera body. All things being equal, I think I will wait until the EM5 mk III and / or GX9 hit the street, and see what they bring to the party.

Simon.

Agree, I think we'll see features from GH5 filter down to the GX9 and the same for the E-M5 III.

f8 is into diffraction and probably best avoided if you are going to look closely. I don't know that lens but I haven't seen a mft lens yet that wasn't pretty good wide open so my advice is to shoot a series of shots from wide open stopping down as you go, review the results and maybe that'll give you a starting point.

Tried some shots at f5.6 and they look a lot better. Think I need more practice to get the best out this camera. Did think about going back to a Nikon D7000 but decided it would be a step backwards.

Tried some shots at f5.6 and they look a lot better. Think I need more practice to get the best out this camera. Did think about going back to a Nikon D7000 but decided it would be a step backwards.

Great stuff. But...

I don't know if you're being too critical? I've shot at smaller apertures and whilst there is doubtless a drop in image quality if we can stop pixel peeping and being hyper critical maybe the results are still acceptable?

I have one shot somewhere I took with my (now sold) Panny G1 and a Sigma 50mm f2.8 macro lens at f16... it's perfectly fine although in normal circumstance I try to shoot somewhere between wide open and f4 or 5 with only occasional forays to f8.

I think it's also worth thinking about the most suitable aperture for the scene as f8 may give DoF that exceeds the scene.

Anyway, glad you're feeling better about the quality :D

PS.
I should have mentioned before... I like those pictures.

Last edited:
Great stuff. But...

I don't know if you're being too critical? I've shot at smaller apertures and whilst there is doubtless a drop in image quality if we can stop pixel peeping and being hyoer critical maybe the results are still acceptable?

I have one shot somewhere I took with my (now sold) Panny G1 and a Sigma 50mm f2.8 macro lens at f16... it's perfectly fine although in normal circumstance I try to shoot somewhere between wide open and f4 or 5 with only occasional forays to f8.

I think it's also worth thinking about the most suitable aperture for the scene as f8 may give DoF that exceeds the scene.

Anyway, glad you're feeling better about the quality :D

PS.
I should have mentioned before... I like those pictures.

Cheers, I think it's mostly user error more than the cameras fault. Need to get used to how it works and how to get the best results.

Cheers, I think it's mostly user error more than the cameras fault. Need to get used to how it works and how to get the best results.

I had a G7 but sold it as I had too many cameras. I do think it's a very good camera and I still have a GX7 and a GX80 which as far as I can see give identical image quality which is IMO very good, so I'm sure you'll get there IQ wise :D

Just found this on my pc, taken about 4 years ago with my G1 and probably a Sigma 50mm f2.8 macro.

I don't remember taking this and it's a bit of a nothing shot but I've decided that I quite like it :D

Whole image followed by a 100% crop.

Would the 14-45 and 45-200 give me better IQ than my 14-140 lens?

Or would I be better off saving up for a 12-35 f2.8?

Last edited:
Dunno about 14-45/45-200 v 14-140 but just wanted to comment on the 12-35mm f2.8.

For me the MFT system needs the wider aperture lenses to give the best image quality because the f3.5-5.6 zooms lead you quickly into diffraction and higher ISO's and although a full image can look very nice when you've processed it for best effect once you start to look closely the effect of smaller apertures and (possibly) higher ISO's may be more visible.

With f3.5-5.6 lenses there's also the difficulty / inability to match the sort of look you'd get from a 35mm camera and an equivalent lens. The variable aperture MFT zooms are fine if you shoot in good light and want deep depth of field (or if you use a lower ISO, a tripod and longer exposures) but I used to mostly use my 35mm cameras and still do use my FF digital camera at apertures somewhere around f4 to f8 and obviously you're not going to get the same look from MFT at f5.6 which would give an equivalent depth of field of f11.

This is for me where the primes and f2.8 zooms really come in handy as they enable a FF look, DoF wise, in my most used aperture range and give the chance of keeping the ISO down and the image quality up.

I've been impressed with the Panny 12-35mm f2.8, it's the first MFT zoom I've been happy with but of course it doesn't go from 35-200mm.

Last edited:
My daughter has the 14-140mm and has taken some really nice images so far! If the new 45-200mm is as good as the new 100-300mm giving dual IS it should be pretty good, but if I remember the old 45-200mm is quite slow.
If you get the 12-35 f2.8, then you will be losing a lot at the long end compared to your 14-140mm. I suppose it depends on what focal lengths you use the most. Not sure that was much help!!

Or would I be better off saving up for a 12-35 f2.8?
If your 14-140 is s sharp on, then the big old 45-200 is unlikely to better it in any way except having a longer reach.
If you get a good sharp 14-45 then yes, it is likely to give you better IQ/sharpness than your current travel zoom.
I have a really great 14-45 and a decent 45-200, but don't carry either of them around.
I like the 20mm and Olympus 40-150 as a pair.

Think I'll stick with the 14-140 and see what focal lengths I use the most. Am tempted to get some of the primes that are about they seem reasonably priced.

I've had all those lenses and, based on mine, the 14-45+45-200 would be better all round. The difference with the 45-200 was very slight, however (the 45-150 would give similar results to the 45-200, but without such a weight penalty). The 14-45 is a great lens and clearly better, but that may not be as important as having the full range available at all times.

One from a day around Ullswater on Saturday. Conditions were best described as '10 stopper and monochrome' LOL

Waiting to Sail by Simon Harrison, on Flickr

GX8 + Oly 12-40mm - oh and a welly boot full of water thanks to the (relatively) big waves the wind was generating blowing down the lake.

Simon.

Well caught Marcia. They don't tend to settle for long in any one place. How are you finding the new 100-300 mk II?

Simon.

Well caught Marcia. They don't tend to settle for long in any one place. How are you finding the new 100-300 mk II?

Simon.
Thank you Simon. You're right about them flitting around. There was also a Goldcrest in the same tree, and neither myself nor my husband (with his D750 and 300mm f4) got a decent shot of that one! I find with bird photography it's patience, and being in the right place at the right time!
I am really pleased with the 100-300 mkII. It is so much quicker to focus, and really sharp throughout the range, compared to the original I had some years ago. The zoom ring is also much smoother. All in all I would say that it's definitely worth the money.

Can anyone confirm that the GM1 (and that generation of Lumix model) can't take a *sequence* of bracketed shots with a 2 sec delay?

From what I can make out, it can't - and Panasonic didn't release firmware to fix it. So annoying.

For anyone near cardiff Curry's in at David's arcade is clearance selling the gf7 with lens £148.

Any user complaints about the G80, thinking of swapping my GX8 for one this week, all the time i have had the GX8 i have found i change settings by accident with the ball of my thumb,after holding a G80 i think i will be better with it.

Looks like i will be keeping the G80,first day birding impressions are it blows the GX8 out of the water for what i do.

P1020477.jpg

That looks very impressive Mike! What are the main differences and advantages you are finding with the G80 vs GX8?

For balance, here's a Turnstone taken with the GX8 and my Oly 40-150mm f2.8 Pro.

Turnstone by Simon Harrison, on Flickr

Cheers,

Simon.

Some great bird images there Mike and Simon! The 100-400mm looks like a teriffic lens, but unfortunately much too heavy for me!
Turnstones are one of my favourite birds with lovely feather colouring!
I haven't done as much with my GX80 as I would have liked due to the poor weather, and health issues. I am trying to get confident in the way I have it set up so that I can change things without thinking as and when the need arrives, but I also have a Sony RX10 MK III and the controls are somewhat different and at my age I do get confused between the two!! Having said all of that I am liking the GX80 a lot and have been very pleased with the images I have taken so far. I am looking forward to eventually doing some BIF shots, plus my two Sighthounds running.
I mainly take images of Birds, Dragonflies, and wildlife in general, but the longest lens I can manage is the 100-300mm weight wise. I have the new version, and I am impressed so far.
Can I ask you what settings you use for BIF - things like SAF, CAF, and focus points etc. I know it is sometimes an individual thing, but some tips would help a lot I think.
Many thanks for reading my waffle, and please do keep posting your images, to admire, and give me motivation!!

That looks very impressive Mike! What are the main differences and advantages you are finding with the G80 vs GX8?

For balance, here's a Turnstone taken with the GX8 and my Oly 40-150mm f2.8 Pro.

Cheers,

Simon.

Some great bird images there Mike and Simon! The 100-400mm looks like a teriffic lens, but unfortunately much too heavy for me!
I haven't done as much with my GX80 as I would have liked due to the poor weather, and health issues. I am trying to get confident in the way I have it set up so that I can change things without thinking as and when the need arrives, but I also have a Sony RX10 MK III and the controls are somewhat different and at my age I do get confused between the two!! Having said all of that I am liking the GX80 a lot and have been very pleased with the images I have taken so far. I am looking forward to eventually doing some BIF shots, plus my two Sighthounds running.
I mainly take images of Birds, Dragonflies, and wildlife in general, but the longest lens I can manage is the 100-300mm weight wise. I have the new version, and I am impressed so far.
Can I ask you what settings you use for BIF - things like SAF, CAF, and focus points etc. I know it is sometimes an individual thing, but some tips would help a lot I think.
Many thanks for reading my waffle, and please do keep posting your images, to admire, and give me motivation!!

Thanks,i will come back to this and give my thoughts on it against the GX8 and share my BIF settings when ime sure i have it sorted.

Some excellent images here :)
I have just purchased my first 4/3 camera LUMIX GX1 plus kit lens
I'm just wondering what if any opinions folk here have on the 100-300mm lens
Will the GX1 struggle with AF is there something more suitable to pair with the 14-42 ?
Thanks in anticipation

Cheers

Simon.
My initial thoughts on the G80 over the GX8.

Its early days yet but for me the G80 handles better,600 shots and I didnt catch a button on the back and change a setting once (I think this happens to me because of the way I have to hold the GX8 while zooming the 100-400).T he buttons on the back are not as prominent this could help me though some may find it a fiddle to press them.

After all the years with DSLRs the G80 does feel more natural with the EVF in the middle and more usable in fast moving situations.

The EVF is not as large a view as the GX8 but I bet I will forget this unless I use a GX8 again,it doesn't tilt this I will miss.

EVF refresh rate is as far as I can see the same but have not tried them side by side.

Image IQ is in my opinion better on the G80 but you do lose pixels for cropping,and I guess I could have had some SS situations with the GX8 the shutter on the G80 is lovely and quiet.

AFC looks to be better on the G80,i know it shouldn't be but I can only say it as I see it,there is a setting for adjusting how fast the camera decides to refocus in AFC, 0 is standard and you have -2 and +2 I have set it on +2 for faster.

I like the separate card slot,a small thing but as you get older and lose some dexterity its just easier in a separate slot.

Thats the basics of my thoughts but in conclusion,if I had not had the button changing situation I would not have changed,the GX8 is a great camera,the G80 just fits the bill better for me.

Last edited:
Thanks Phil, glad you like them :)

Simon.
You really do have some fabulous work !
I've just purchased my first 4/3 camera and trying to get to grips with menu and set up system I have. Olympus 17mm arriving to go with basic kit lens
I will see how I get on with it :)
I'm hoping it proves better than the Canon m1 I purchased !

Last edited:

These are the BIF settings I have started with and have them in a custom setting.

Shutter priority with a aperture set at F7.1 on the 100-400,but that could be different with other lenses.

Auto ISO capped at 3200,on my GX8 I had 6400 but as far as I can see I cant do that on the G80.

Image review off

AFC with the refocus speed set at +2

Shutter set for focus priority release

6 fps (medium setting)but that is too high for me too many images the same,i would like about 4fps but I think I will have to go to low which is 2.

Centre focus point cant remember what its called but its not the smallest one,i will set a custom mode two with the smallest focus point for working through tree branches.

Sorry if I have forgotten anything ime not good at setting these things up and worse at explaining.

Thank you Mike! You explained it perfectly! Now all I need is better weather - yes it's raining again!!

Back